We're Nuts
Topic Author

America Needs A New Flag

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:14 pm

I knew if I posted this too soon after 9/11, I would get crucified. Hopefully we are all mature enough to see that a different flag needn't be any less patriotic.

Anyway, I think our current flag is much too busy. It looks silly, not at all like a proper flag. But you can't change something solely on looks. Here is my idea:

The flag we have now is too jumbled together and disorganized. We are one nation, so to show that unity, we'll make those 50 stars into one big one. A two-tone background honors our long and varied history, and the red bar at the bottom reminds us that for 225 years we have been a symbol of freedom. The finished result?

I think it is a big improvement. Much more modern, like our country. What do you think? Or if you have any other designs, post those too!
Dear moderators: No.

Boeing4ever

RE: America Needs A New Flag

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:18 pm

The American flag has undergone a change many, many, times. In fact, I think the 50-star flag is the longest running version to date. I don't oppose you for the whole-patriotism thing. A country's citizens have a right to mix around and experiment with its image.

My opposition is that I'm worried the American flag is becoming like the Deltaflot thing. And lets not forget the money needed to update all the current flags...I mean, not in this economy. Otherwise, continue the discussion folks! Big grin

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

FlagshipAZ

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:22 pm

Forget it. It's not going to happen in your lifetime, nor mine. A lot of people have died for Old Glory as it stands today. The Flag has stood for over 200 years...so why change it now? Really, the very idea, IMO, is sacrilegious.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

Boeing4ever

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:23 pm

PS-Just watch how many jealous non-Americans start (insert country here) needs a new flag threads. I guess it could replace the innuendo craze!

Anyway, your design...it's ok, it fills in all your stated requirements, etc. I'm eager to see other people's ideas as well.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers (proud citizen of a country that has changed its flag design more times in 225 years than most countries have in 1000 years!)

heavymetal

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:28 pm

I chime in with Boeing4ever.... this is a country that thrives on 'better mousetraps', so if you have an idea roll with it. It's actually a clever design, though I think you'd be sued by LAN-CHILE  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

That said, I think the present banner just carries with it too much lore and history to be "re-marketed". And it's timeless, kinda like the American Airlines livery.

Besides, I'm convinced our flag is gonna need to be reworked in the next 20 years anyway...prediction: Florida will split into two states, north and south. But that's another thread!

flyf15

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:28 pm

An this whole blind patriotism thing has reached a new low...

SSTjumbo

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:31 pm

That flag is just to boring if you ask me, but that's just my opinion. The star-spangled banner works just fine for me Big grin.

Cheers
Mike, a.k.a. SSTjumbo
I don't know, so this is my signature.

heavymetal

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:37 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ivan Rodriguez

Here's the "new design" on Air Force One.

And an Airbus Air Force One too! Could happen.

We're Nuts
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:40 pm

Yeah, I guess I would get sued... heh.

But hey, who here doesn't like the Lan Chile livery?
Dear moderators: No.

174thfwff

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm

I really love our flag.

Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

heavymetal

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:54 pm

Alpha has a good point.

The Stars & Stripes has flown for two and a quarter centuries (plus change) and proudly protected those who bitch about this country every minute of that time.

Keep Old Glory.

Alpha 1

Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:19 pm

Frankly, the flag does look like a modern-day communists flat. The one star in the right-hand corner-very similar to what many communists regimes do with the hammer and sickle.

Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:20 pm

I think we have one of, if not the classiest flags in the entire world.

I would never change it, and certainly not for that shlock you presented at the top of this thread.

TWAL1011

Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:20 pm

Hey, while we're at it, why not rename all the states and draft a new constitution?

jcs17

Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:35 pm

We favor this design...It shows that American interests really arent important and what really what matters is what other countries think about us.

Signed,
The Democrats
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:14 pm

I think that We're Nuts' new design Sucks. Notice I wrote that with a capital "S." No change to the current American flag is necessary.

'Speed

(This is my last inflammatory post ever.)

OzarkD9S

Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:07 pm

The flag is just a symbol, a powerful one to some people but a symbol nonetheless. You really wanna do something for America...get off your ass and vote. When less than half the registered voters in this country bother to vote and there are people all over the world who would literally kill for that priveledge, all your flag waving and stars-and-stripes T-shirts and window decals don't mean a damn thing.
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

hkgspotter1

Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:40 pm

WHY, Whats wrong with it ??

seb146

Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:47 pm

But it would freak out all the Americans that are overseas right now visiting places like Tibet and Nepal to come back to this country with a new flag. It is fun to fool around with ideas, but one star for each state and thirteen stripes to remind us how we started is pretty cool!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

flyboy36y

Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:14 pm

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

What right do we have to change the proud flag that men have went into battle holding. That men have dies for so that it not fall. The flag mentioned in our national anthem. The flag that was raised by US Marines at Iwo Jima. The flag that flew over the WTC rubble. The flag that liberated Europe from true evil. Our flag has been saluted, burned, honored, hated, passed on to greiving family members who's fathers, sons, daughters, and the like, died for it.

School-children and adults alike pledge allegiance to the flag: our flag, not that wannabe South American monstrosity.

I think I'll stick with old glory, thank you very much.

Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:41 pm

Boeing4ever,

PS-Just watch how many jealous non-Americans start (insert country here) needs a new flag threads. I guess it could replace the innuendo craze!

That's old news, we've been fighting about a replacement flag for years. People like me think we should stick to the old one, with all its history and others want a new one to represent the new, multicultural Australia.

It's a nasty discussion ..

I think flags should stay as they are .. after all, look at all the history that goes with them. But that first suggested flag looks pretty damn fine ...! perhaps we can use it if we lose the flag debate!  Smile

VH-ADG

Hepkat

Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:55 pm

I'd like to encourage everyone to stick to arguing against each other's opinions. Please do not resort to personal attacks or flamebaits.

Hepkat
Forum Moderator

racko

Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:38 pm

I think Libya has a beautiful flag, beats anything else out there:

Seriously, I like the American flag and I hope you won't change it in my lifetime  Big grin

TWFirst

Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:23 pm

I agree with We're Nuts, although I respectfully suggest he might want to hire a professional designer for the redesign  Big grin.

I've always thought other country's flags were much more elegant in their simplicity and beautiful in their symbolism (Canada comes to mind). One thing I'll give "old glory" though - I think it does do a good job of representing our country in one respect - it's gaudy and way too busy... just like most Americans Big grin.

No, I'm confident we won't be getting a new flag anytime soon.

BTW, that picture Flyboy36y posted made me nauseous.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

KROC

Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:35 pm

One thing I'll give "old glory" though - I think it does do a good job of representing our country in one respect - it's gaudy and way too busy... just like most Americans

Gaudy and way too busy? How so? It is a classic design, that stands out, and is always recognizable. Simple can be good, but for Canada's flag for example. A Maple Leaf. Okay cool. It's simple, and I enjoy it, but where is the representation or the meaning. The U.S. Flag is full of meaning and representation. 13 stripes or the 13 original colonies. 50 stars for each state in the union. Beautiful color scheme in the use of the red, white and blue. Some things just can't be improved, and should be left alone.

BTW, that picture Flyboy36y posted made me nauseous

Nothing like a patriotic picture of American symbols of freedom to make one sick.  Insane

KROC

Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:37 pm

And before my Canadian friends come looking for my head, I am not saying that the Canadian Flag has no meaning or representation. I know it does, I was just using a comparision to show the meanings of the U.S. Flag as well. My fault is that came off offensive, as it was not meant to be.

TWFirst

RE: Kroc

Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:08 am

>>Nothing like a patriotic picture of American symbols of freedom to make one sick.<<

Oh yes of course, now I see it... the American flag superimposed on the head of one of the most majestic creatures of flight (thus suggesting a tattoo) is a masterpiece of patriotic inspiration... gee, how could I be so blind??!? I must find the digital 'artist' who came up with such an original and breathtakingly spiritual image metaphorically capturing all that this country stands for, and get his/her autograph right away.... ;-/

>>The U.S. Flag is full of meaning and representation. 13 stripes or the 13 original colonies. 50 stars for each state in the union.<<

FULL is the key word here. I mean, why stop at a star for each state? Why not have a star for each possession or territory as well? How about a triangle for each article of the constitution? Perhaps a stripe for each president that has held office???

Seriously though, when we get done absorbing the Canadian provinces and merge with the United States of Europe in 50 years or so, there's going to be close to 100 stars on there. How are little American children going to manage to draw the flag with crayons then?? It'll take them a week.

>>Beautiful color scheme in the use of the red, white and blue.<<

Yes, SO original that scheme.... Gee, I wonder how our forefathers came up with that flash of divine inspiration... (as I hum God Save the King).

I'm sorry, I can't type anymore as I can no longer see the screen. My eyes are rolled up so far into my head....

KROC

Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:19 am

I'm sorry, I can't type anymore as I can no longer see the screen. My eyes are rolled up so far into my head....

An obvious blessing in disguise.

TWFirst

Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:24 am

>>An obvious blessing in disguise.<<

For you.

AOMlover

Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:58 am

"our long and varied history" lol...
The American flag is nice...

777236ER

Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:22 am

I personally love the French flag...

Your bone's got a little machine

AOMlover

Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:01 am

Errr...you forgot the blue and the red stripes Big grin
http://www.elysee.fr/ang/instit/symb2.htm

srbmod

Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:22 am

Changing one's flag is a lot of trouble. I look at the recent changing of the our state flag here in Georgia. Any proposed change was met with great furor, so the governor and some members of the state legislator hashed one out and snowballed it through. And there are some people here in GA that are highly po'd at the state gov't right now. And the flag it replaced had only been around for 45 years, so imagine trying to replace a flag whose basic design is well over 200 years old. I think to change the American flag would be an affront to our Founding Fathers and to those that have given their lives in the pursuit of freedom and liberty. The American flag has become the template for several other countries' flags, because they wanted to base the flag for their newly democratic country after the first one.

Now if we were going to change the American flag, here are my picks:

Both of these are historical flags, and the first one, the 1st Navy Jack is currently being flown on Navy ships during the War on Terrorism.

david b.

Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:27 am

The stars on the flag will be replaced with a pic of King Ashcroft
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

N766UA

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:36 am

Hahaha. Yeah that's the French flag all right, 777236ER. Seriously though, you don't change flags because they "aren't modern", whatever that means. It's a proud tradition that thousands have died for and it should never change.
This Website Censors Me

EGGD

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:39 am

Tbh, I don't like the current flag. Then again, I don't like the Union Jack either  Big grin.

However I do like the St. George's cross, so i'll leave it at that Big grin,

MagicMan_841

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:49 am

50 Stars To Blind Your Eyes,
13 Stripes To Hypnotize

- Leftover Crack

I like the way the american flag stands in my room.....upside down...

(this is going to get deleted for sure but at least I ain't affraid of telling what I think)

M@g!¢  Yeah sure

GD727

Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:26 am

I think Flyboy36y said it best I think I'll stick with old glory, thank you very much.

We're Nuts: You seem to have a problem with being patriotic, what is your problem? Not everything has to be modern and new age to look beautiful!

TWFirst: Well, that comment made ME nauseous, not to mention outraged!

LONG LIVE OLD GLORY!!!!!!!!!

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

jcs17

Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:46 am

MagicMan: You are a sick individual, but yet this is coming from someone living Quebec City...it isnt too suprising. Why dont you go stage a sepratist rally or something..

lubcha132

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:19 am

i hate assymetrical objects, and this cuts the cake. i could fix it up so there woud still be 13 stripes, but the stars would be on a blue diamond long as the width and high as the height.

J

Lan_Fanatic

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:28 am

Hey...americans...you should never change your flag...I am chilean...and i love your flag, it is really nice and looks classy.

BTW...We're nuts...with all respect...TRY AGAIN PLEASE

BTW 2: Air Force One will be painted in LanChile's livery over my dead body...that livery is only for the aircrafts that are proud of being chilean  Smile

TWFirst

RE: GD727

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:31 am

>>Well, that comment made ME nauseous, not to mention outraged!<<

Well then dude, all I can suggest is maybe you take some Pepto Bismol and a valium. That should solve two of your problems.

Boeing4ever

Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:22 pm

The flag should stay as it is...as I stated. This country has changed its design so many times. Let's not forget foreign countries will also have to update textbooks, etc, not just the US. The only forseeable change to the flag would be the addition of a 51st star for Puerto Rico (over my dead body, I feel they have a right to independence, and in terms of states, this country is full!). Let's not turn old Glory into Deltaflot.

Dear We're Nuts,

On behalf of my client, I hand to you a cease and desist order. Do not copy my client's corporate identity!

Signed,
Lan Chile Lawyer

B4e-Forever New Frontiers  Big thumbs up

MagicMan_841

Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:15 pm

Jcs17 : this is very suprising actually, since Quebec is so americanized. It just looks like a french speaking 51th state. And yeah I'm for the separation of Quebec from Canada.

Peace
M@g!¢  Yeah sure

radarbeam

Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:20 pm

Well just to prove Newtow's 3rd law; For every action there's an opposite reaction. I'm from Quebec and I'm against separation. Hey Jcs17, you're little joke on separatist is a little weak. The whole idea of the separation from Canada has lost a lot of it's momentum and is no longer feasible. Get your head in the papers before crapping on a whole province.

Radarbeam

PS: Nothing wrong with the US flag, why change it?

jcs17

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:12 pm

this is very suprising actually, since Quebec is so americanized.
...I'd like to nominate that for the most moronic quote of the year...Quebec...Americanized? Dude, it is the least American out of all the provinces, and plus everyone there hates Americans (yes, I have been to Quebec personally). I actually found Quebec to be less friendly than France itself! Why you want to separate from Canada, I dont get it...MagicMan, you understand that the socialist benefits that are afforded in Canada would not be able to have the same strength in a free Quebec. The province is still too poor outside of Montreal. Your comment had no place on the board, it was total flamebait, and it just shows the average Quebec mentality.

radarbeam

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:32 pm

I'd like to nominate that for the most moronic quote of the year...Quebec...Americanized? Dude, it is the least American out of all the provinces, and plus everyone there hates Americans (yes, I have been to Quebec personally

First, resorting to name calling makes your post really mature. Second, Quebec can be the least Americanized province of all but it is still Americanized, the cars, the food, the way of life. The only things that can be associated with a more European history are the architecture and the language. BTW are Nunavut or NWT more Americanized than Quebec?

and plus everyone there hates Americans

Oh yeah, everyone hates Americans here. There's 6 millions of people here and every single one of them hates Americans. Of course this is a well known fact. If Quebequers hated Americans with such a passion, like you described, why is the border crossing is always full of Americans folks wanting to go on vacation in Quebec? Why is every hunting outlet in the province jammed-packed with American who are having the best time in their life?

(yes, I have been to Quebec personally).

How long?

Your comment had no place on the board, it was total flamebait, and it just shows the average Quebec mentality.

Strange, that's not what the polls are showing at all lately, oh but your facts are better than any Quebec-made polls of course.

Radarbeam

KAUSpilot

Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:23 am

Yes, Anti-American Sentiment is especially strong in Quebec, particularly outside of Montreal. This does not mean that ALL Quebequers hate America, but only that the majority have a good deal of animositry for their neighbors to the south. My Geogrpahy professor is in the process of publishing a paper on this very subject: Quebec's perception of the United States. The results are quite shocking......

radarbeam

Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:41 am

There's as much anemosity towards the US in Quebec as there is in every part of the world, here and there you'll find someone who dislike America, but the general population is very friendly to our neighbors. I would like to know though, what are the facts supporting your teacher's paper.

Radarbeam

jcs17

Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:12 am

Oh yeah, everyone hates Americans here. There's 6 millions of people here and every single one of them hates Americans. Of course this is a well known fact. If Quebequers hated Americans with such a passion, like you described, why is the border crossing is always full of Americans folks wanting to go on vacation in Quebec? Why is every hunting outlet in the province jammed-packed with American who are having the best time in their life?

Fine, MOST not all, people are not huge fans of Americans. People go to Quebec because it is a place with stunning natural beauty and great outdoor activities. Its just like going to France, people go, but its not to have a great time hanging out with the French (I personally love France, and dont think its reputation is deserved).

BTW are Nunavut or NWT more Americanized than Quebec?
Yeah, sort of, I imagine that those places are just like Alaska...without a major population center...Anchorage...could you count Yellowknife as a city?

How long?
I have been to Mont Tremblant for a week, Quebec City for a few days for a hockey tournament, and Montreal 2 times for about 5 days. I have been to Ontario a couple times, and it is so much friendlier than Quebec. People in Ontario (and BC) could care less if you are from America.

There's as much anemosity towards the US in Quebec as there is in every part of the world
Disagree. A few places in the world actually hate Americans with fervor, most places just tolerate us. Quebec is a place where we are strongly disliked, and as you mentioned before, you guys should be kissing our a$$es considering how much money we pump into your economy.

This post came from some 13 year old living in Quebec City saying he hangs the US flag upside down...If this isnt offensive to Americans I dont know what is. My original post that explained what I'd do to this kid if I ever met him was taken down  Smile/happy/getting dizzy