JBLUA320
Topic Author

Attention East Canadians: Your Advice Is Needed!

Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:18 am

Hi there. As some of you, from my previous Aurora post may know, I intend to go to Quebec City (area) Canada to try and see the northern lights.

I will go in Mid- november, or early november (2nd or 3rd weekend) depending on weather.

As of now, we fly from JFK-BTV and then drive from BTV to Quebec City. I think, as of now, we plan to stay a tad north of Quebec City in "Beaupre, Quebec" at the "Chateau Mont St. Anne Hotel". It seems like it is a pretty remote area, and we wouldnt have to drive very far (25 minutes, maybe) to the north to have some darkness.

Any advice on the area is appreciated, especially if you live around there. At the present time, the Aurora is quite active over the skies of central Quebec.
Advice would be good on any place near Beaupre, but Beaupre in specific would help. Thanks a lot!
(Also, if you know any good places to view in the area, let me in!)

Thanks A Lot!
JBLU/Ben
jetBlueAirbusA320@yahoo.com
BKaufman@execs.com

tbar220

RE: Attention East Canadians: Your Advice Is Needed!

Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:32 am

All I have to say is I'm jealous, it sounds like a ton of fun.
NO URLS in signature

B747-437B

Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:50 am

Brush up on your French mon ami, parce que les Quebecois parlent seulement en francais, especially to anyone they think is an American tourist.

Apart from that, Quebec is extremely beautiful and a great place to visit. Stock up on warm clothes and you will have a great time there.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

JBLUA320
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:00 am

French??? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I speak fluent Spanish and English.
My family also speaks Yiddish and German.

But not French!!!!!

Maybe I should get an electric translator or dictionary or something..

Oi veh..

JBLU

JBLUA320
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:22 pm

Sudden silence...

Anybody else think they can help?

Thnx
jblu

yyz717

Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:14 am

You'll get by with English just fine. I find most Quebecois in Quebec City speak English also.

As for learning/speaking French.....it's a slowly dying language on a worldwide basis.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Rai

Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:07 am

Hey. Quebec is beautiful in the fall with the leaves being all different colors. It's kinda like Vermont or New Hampshire. In terms of French, most people should be able to converse in English. I was in Montreal in August, however, and I was stunned at how poor many of the French people seemed to speak English. It’s gotten much, much worse the last few years.

If you really, really want to see the northern lights, it’s best to go somewhere like Alberta, Yukon or the North West Territories. The climate is much dryer (and colder…Brrrrr!), so the sky will be clearer and they’ll show up much nicer than they will in the East. I remember viewing them when I was living in Alberta. They were really clear and it was quite a site.

mls515

Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:04 am

Good luck and have a nice trip even if you aren't sucessful in seeing the northern lights. It sounds like an interesting place to visit.

With the French speakers, just make an attempt and start out your conversations with "Bone Joor, Par Lay Voo On Glay Cee Voo Play?" and then carry out the rest of the conversation in English. Maybe they'll be a little nicer to you.

mls515

JBLUA320
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:05 am

Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah, we thought about going northern, even more, but have decided not to. The only reason this is working is because the air is free, I suppose.

Thanks again for all the advice!

JBLU