Mr Spaceman

RE: Possible Sniper Suspect Arrested

Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:37 am

Hello Cerulean.

I think it's very possible that the police actually have the right man (screwball sniper) in custody because they apparently had this gas station under surveillance, after finding a letter with a phone number at the scene of the last shooting.

Hopefully this string of murders is finally over. We'll have to wait and see.

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

L1011

Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:55 am

Unfortunately, the two men arrested had nothing to do with any of the shootings. He is still at large. For that reason, the school where I teach will be closed again on Tuesday. We are about a fifteen minute drive from where the Ashland shooting happened. All of the nearby school systems are closed.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

haveric

Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:57 am

Bob,

do you think closing schools indefinitely is the best idea? the odds of getting attacked by a sniper are significantly less than being killed in a car crash, etc. It seems by making a big deal of opening/closing schools draws more attention to them and their students.

eric

L1011

Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:36 am

I think it is ridiculous that schools are being closed. The odds of being attacked by the sniper are slim. According to radio reports, parents are taking kids to the mall and other places since they have no school. What's the difference? Also, if we miss more than two days, we have to make them up. I hope they don't plan on keeping schools closed until they get him. If they reopen on Wednesday, will the kids be any safer than they would have been today? Also, the school superintendents were going to keep the schools open, but on a television call-in show, parents protested so much that they caved in to them.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

B747forlife

Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:10 am

Where are my school closings? I live in Montgomery County, MD, and we had a rack of shootings, but no school closings! But, anyway, it is probably safer to be in school than out of school wandering around.

-Nick

desertjets

Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:18 am

Bob, which district do you work for over in Richmond?

I found it out that they decided to close the schools. All the districts in NoVa and MD stayed open. Wonder what makes the folks in Richmond so shaky.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

KRIC777

Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:55 am

I think it is ridiculous that schools are being closed.

I would tend to agree with you, L1011, but the news has been reporting that "unidentified sources" have indicated, in vague terms, that the note that was left at the scene of the Ashland shooting was rather detailed, and contained specific threats to target schools in metro Richmond in the future. Then again, talk is cheap from an "unidentified source".
That said, I think that keeping the kids indoors, and having a heavy police presence during the start and realease of the school day would be sufficient, and would preclude the headaches of closing school altogether.

Wayne F.
Richmond,VA
--At work today about a mile from where two undocumented aliens got a rude welcome to The US, and were promptly shown the door  Sad

gocaps16

Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:58 am

yea, how come the schools in the DC area remains open but under strict sercurity? I visited my high school today and I had to sign in.

Kevin/Arlington, VA

L1011

Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:38 pm

DesertJets: I work for Richmond Public Schools. Last week recess was canceled. I'll go along with that, but closing schools is going too far.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

tbar220

Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:23 am

. Wonder what makes the folks in Richmond so shaky.

When random people on the street are getting shot and killed, people tend to get shaky.

I'm not one to support torture, but when they capture this guy, I hope they hang him up by his testicles and do terrible things to him.
NO URLS in signature