B777
Topic Author

Any 'Vette Fans Here?

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:03 am

JETPILOT

RE: Any 'Vette Fans Here?

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:14 am

WOW !!!! Is that a BMW Z3 behind it in the showroom? Sweeeeet. I guess they keep the lower quality cars on the outside lot.

JET  Big thumbs up

racko

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:42 am

lol JETPILOT  Big thumbs up

I don't like the Corvette, big name but cheap interior and bad cornering compared with other sports car (which are more expensive, yes - quality costs)

B777
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:17 am

Come on, I know there is got to be other people here who like the 'vette. BTW, Racko, what other sports cars do you have in mind? Perhaps they are on my list of favorites also.

Lol JETPILOT, good one, I didn't notice the Z3 when I posted. That's a nice car too.

FlagshipAZ

Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:26 am

Yep. I like the 'Vette also. In fact, my all-time dream car would be the 1967 Corvette ragtop, with a 427 cid engine, 4-speed manual tranny & of course, fire engine red in color. Tell me folks, do you care to share your knowledge & opinion on the 1983 model? Just wondering what y'all think.  Wink/being sarcastic Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

kaitakfan

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:15 am

I have had alot of experience in Corvettes as of the past year and a half. While I think the interior is nothing special the overall look of the car is excelent! I fondly remember getting into a bright red ZO6 vette one day and laying into it! The cluth is very smooth on the 6 speed transmission and made it possible to throw some "mad gears". The sound of the beast in first gear with the pedal stuck to the floor is great! For me it was one of those rare times where my hands started to shake after throwing it into second gear because the power was just so incredible! (Only happend before on a Ferrari 550 Barchetta and 360 Modena Spider). So yes I am a fan of corvettes for sure!

Staffan

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:19 am

They are rather nice cars, you can get quite good second hand deals on them here, but maintenance and fuel costs are quite high.

Staffan

LOT767-300ER

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:24 am

Cheap interior....Racko have you been in a 2003 Corvette? Please what are you talking about?

Heres one of our families friends vette...  Smile

What a great vehicle!

Chevy makes this supercar so that not only the extra rich "full of themselves" people can afford it but people that dont have $120,000 laying around...And it still spanks some azz.

Bad cornering bad interior....*sighs* I love how you just make up stuff....

Staffan

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:27 am

The cornering performance of the newer models luckily isn't what it used to be, I was rather surprised myself. Although it's not the type of car I'd use for a high speed chase on a twisting mountain road.

Staffan

LOT767-300ER

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:33 am

Staffan: You have gone 110mph on the mountain roads? LOL Why would anyone use a Vette in the mountains on a high speed chase... hehe

Staffan

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:37 am

Oh, I forgot, people only use their cars on a 1/4 mile strip. As long as it goes fast in a straight line that's all that matters regarding handling...  Yeah sure

LOT767-300ER

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:54 am

Oh yea I forgot too...Most of us live on the side of a mountain in the middle of Utah and have to drive 100mph down the mountain and up the mountain.

Staffan

Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:01 am

Since you don't seem to get it, I was pointing at the fact that it's cornering performance doesn't match it's great acceleration. It's a rather heavy car after all.

NWA742

Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:25 am

WOW !!!! Is that a BMW Z3 behind it in the showroom? Sweeeeet. I guess they keep the lower quality cars on the outside lot.

Ummmmm...................haha..........funny.  Insane

For such a higher quality car, the X3 should at least be able to out-run the Vette right?  Laugh out loud

I don't like the Corvette, big name but cheap interior and bad cornering compared with other sports car

OMG............. Laugh out loud

It's funny how some of you American car haters like to make up crap when you run out of arguments. In what ways is the Corvette interior cheap?

The interiors looks no less cheap than any import sports car I've seen.

I just feel a hint of jealousy coming from you import boys about the Corvette. It can out-run almost any foreign sports car, yet it costs less than almost any foreign sports car. It is AMERICAN MADE as well.

Long live these import killers

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

LOT767-300ER

Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:35 am

Staffan: Heres a wild guess...maybe it weighs more because its bigger!

Staffan

Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:37 am

That's a very good observation you have made there.

KRIC777

Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:38 am

The new (C-5) Corvette is a very nice piece, especially the Z-06  Smile

But those 74-82 Corvettes, pieces o' crap....a bad joke...a mere shadow of what they once were in the glory days of the late '60s and early '70s. The engines were choked down with emissions control devices, and de-tuned to meet mileage requirements. True disco-era boulevard cruisers. Mechanically, they were little more than 2-seat Monte Carlos with swoopy fiberglass bodies.

Then when they developed the LT1 engine, the Corvette became a contender again. Only gotten better since.

KFRG

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:06 am

Z06 is a winner in my book! My favorite Chev besides the ImpalaSS's. The late '70's and '80's Vette's were not great, but your calling the new models "cheap"?
BTW, you can't compare build quality against a Z3, the Bimmer roadster's build quality is not too great from what I have heard.

-Tom

LOT767-300ER

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:10 am

"My favorite Chev besides the ImpalaSS's. "

Muahahhaha! Which ones the 94-96 or the late 60s models?

Of course the 96' SS is my favorite as I get to cruise in her daily  Smile

KFRG

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:26 am

LOT,
How old are you man? If you are anywhere from 16 to at least 18 your pretty damn lucky to be cruisin' in a late model Impala. Yes, I did mean the '94-'96 models. It's a real shame that GM terminated the Caprice/Roadmaster/ImpalaSS design, even more reason to justify my loss of respect for GM. It's just a shame the Impala's only came in Auto's. I have been thinking how a Tranny conversion would come along, of course it's possible, I would definately look into one if I ever had an Impala. Adding to my previous post, I forgot my other favorite Chev, the old skool '80's F-Body MonteSS's.

-Tom

LOT767-300ER

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:33 am

17 Big grin I realize the tresure that I own  Smile

GD727

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:35 am

I am a die hard 'Vette fan! The Vette is an excellant car, it puts all of those rice burners to shame!! Big thumbs up The interior in the Vette is fine, it may not look like the interior of a BMW, but it is just as comfortable, and better looking IMO.

Staffan: The Vette's cornering isn't that bad. My uncle used to own a '92 Vette, and it had no problem cornering, in fact, it hugged the road!

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

TWAL1011

Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:01 am

Yeah, I think there pretty nice.

I won two trophies in two bracket races with a borrowed '92. The car was consistant as hell and as easy to drive as anything.

Still....there's just something about a Mustang (or Rustang as DesertJets calls 'em).

TWAL1011

Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:42 am

Oops! My bad. It's TurbineBeaver that calls 'em Rustangs.

Sorry, Desert!!!!

Superfly

Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:06 pm

Corvettes all the way!  Smokin cool

If you want raw performance and style, the Corvette is the way to go.
Bring back the Concorde

TurbineBeaver

Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:52 pm

I like Corvettes, a lot! Especially the Z06, that baby moves! I don't know if I would ever buy one, considering the other options for the money (M3, hehe!) but they are great machines, great looking, and sure haul ass. I feel that they do feel a tad light in the rear on tight turns, but it's not the end of the world, it still handles pretty well, especially for the beast that it is! Good car.

Any comments on the new viper? I think that is one bad boy! I'll take one, please!

TB

(TWAL1011: So I call them Rustangs, get over it.)

JETPILOT

Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:53 pm

Vette Synopsis....

Cheap ass interiors... they are no better quality than Chevy Cavalier interiors wrapped in leather.

Looks..... Sweet looking car.... best looking vette ever.

Engine..... antique vintage pushrod small block that has no interest in being over 5200 RPM's. A car at this price should have DOHC with an aluminum block. Yes it more than adequately gets the job done. Its the difference between operating with a butchers clever, or a scalpel.

Fit and finish on the BMW can't be compared to the Vette. The BMW is of much higher quality.

I have a BMW ///M3 to compare this vehicle to. I drop my car off at the detailing shop and they give me a 2002 Vette as a loaner. So I can directly compare the 2.

How many of you can honestly say you have driven both, or even one !!!!

JET

TWAL1011

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:03 pm

(TWAL1011: So I call them Rustangs, get over it.)

Over it. Moving on.  Smile

NWA742

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:15 pm

I knew JETPILOT would come into here with his immature bashing of US cars once more, but oh well.

Cheap ass interiors... they are no better quality than Chevy Cavalier interiors wrapped in leather.

AGAIN, why do some of you think the interior is cheap? Do you have one single reason? Or is this just another pathetic attempt to bash US cars?

Fit and finish on the BMW can't be compared to the Vette. The BMW is of much higher quality.

Opinion and nothing else.  Insane

How many of you can honestly say you have driven both, or even one !!!!

I can honestly say I've driven a blue Z06 Corvette. The owner is one of the main managers at my company, and he's let some of his friends, me being one of them, take his car for a little spin with him.

In no way is the interior cheap, it's very nice in fact. The car could out-run just about any car on the road, yes, even some import cars JETPILOT, believe it or not, yet it costs less than many, many slower sportscars, most of which are imports.......

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

JETPILOT

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:17 pm

///MPower

JET

NWA742

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:30 pm

JET,

I would love to see that M3 take on any of these cars:

Or, to have a better laugh, one of these:

But, those cars above are quite expensive, so how about this?

Or, perhaps one of these:

I would like to watch Chevy and Ford power vs. the MIGHT M POWAH!

-NWA742

JETPILOT

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:31 pm

I'm not bashing the Vette.... I said it looked good. It hauls ass.....

But there is no excuse for the quality of the interior. The very appealing interior is plastic, looks like plastic, and feels like plastic. While the BMW's is plastic it is of much higher quality. The BMW dashboard looks and feels like its leather wrapped. There is no immediate.... " Oh thats plastic".

Teres no exuce for the interior door handles. They look like they were stolen from the Cavalier parts bin.

A lot of the plastic interior still has mold flashing from where the two pieces of the plastic mold joined up.

Thats the difference between a BMW, and a Chevy. YOU CAN'T ARGUE IT. That's a fact.

If you can overlook it.... great.

Everything in the BMW screams quality, fro mthe turn signal operation to the window switches. Everything in the Vette screams It's cheap but it's got a really big engine and the rest don't matter.

Kudos to Chevy for making a Car that hauls ass and handles in the top of the class. But don't be fooled that the low cost didn't come at a price.

This conversation is all academic. Because in the end If you can't afford the quality, and the speed, well sometimes the speed and insane handling are enough.

But don't kid yourself that the Corvette quality is on par with BMW, or Mercedes, or for that matter Honda, or any other jap import.

Buy a Vette? Yeah I would If my spending level put me in that position I wouldn't think twice.

JET

JETPILOT

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:35 pm

BTW... the current body style Mustang is an insult to what the pony car used to be.... It's down right hideous.

Please dont post any more pics of it. I'm gonna hurl.

JET

flyf15

Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:08 pm

JET, I'm with you man.

(echo's his comments)

IMissPiedmont

Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:08 pm

The last Corvette was built in 1967. The crop since have been kile Ford introducing the Mustang "Cobra" or Dodge with it's "Challenger" several years ago.

Corvettes are supposed to be uncomfortable, noisy smelly beasts that put you in the seatback and make you wish you were driving. Not these overpriced wannabe luxury cars. For what GM charges for this piece of crap, I'd buy a sedan for the luxury and rebuild a true muscle car for kick ass fun.

Of course I have a d**k and hair and don't need to impress anyone with the car I drive. That is the market for the Crapvette and has been for 35 years.

I hate 'Vettes obviously. Nothing personal though.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

captaingomes

Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:28 pm

The Corvette Z06 is an example of what GM CAN accomplish, which is a lot to be honest. This car performs at the top of its class, while undercutting the price of its competitors. Not only is the straight line performance amazing, but so is the handling!

However, the Corvette, along with Mustangs, Vipers and most other American vehicles cannot hold a candle to the imports in interior quality! It may be opinion, but it's like saying that polyester is much nicer than cotton. You are entitled to have that opinion, but be warned that most people would not agree with you.

The only real example of where an American manufacturer has actually put some effort into really improving its interior quality is with the Lincoln Navigator, and Aviator. These trucks finally have interiors which are stylish, and of very high quality! Kudos to Ford for actually putting some effort into their interiors. However it's interesting to note that the gentleman in charge of that came from Audi.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

racko

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:03 pm

The Corvette interior just looks and feels cheap, at least the 1997 interior. The 2003 interior looks as cheap, can't judge how it feels. Nothing beats the driver-oriented interior of a BMW (too bad they dropped it for the Z4).

Well, maybe the american defination of a sports car is different, but for me a sports car has to corner well and fast, 0-100 speed is less important.
And don't forget that you're comparing a sports car with a sporty luxury sedan.

Data from trackchallenge:

Car Name : Hockenheim lap time : Slamom course (average speed) : weigth/horse power

Porsche 911 Carrera S: 1,15,9 : 67,1 km/h : 4,8kg/HP
BMW M3 Cabrio : 1,17,2 : 67,7 km/h : 5kg/HP
Corvette Cabrio: 1,17,3 : 62,3 km/h : 4,4/HP

So the Corvette is beaten by 2 cars which have more weigth per horse power.

JETPILOT

Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:10 pm

Racko... I agree completely. I was dissapointed with the interior of the Z4. It digresses from the ergonomic interior of the BMW line. What were they thinking?

JET

Greg

Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:34 pm

Actually, some of these comments have merit.

The Corvette interior is a plastic jungle. It looks and feels cheap..not worthy of the technology and engineering throughout the rest of the car.

My complaint is that even new, a Corvette will squeak and rattle. It's a known trait. I've never been in a Vette that didn't have a phantom rattle somewhere. Some call it endearing...I think it's poor workmanship.

Other than that..there is nowhere...NOWHERE...you can get better performance 'bang for the buck' than the current Vette. It's practically an exotic for only pennies.

And that's a huge compliment coming from an M5 driver!

Brgds,
Gregg/

GD727

Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:08 am

To you BMW fans: So the inside has some plastic, who gives a sh*t? I mean, you people are going to say the Corvette interior sucks because it isn't wrapped in leather? It has leather seats! Man, you people sound like a bunch of rich snobs!

I personally don't care about all those worthless frills. 'Gimme a comfortable, good looking interior, a kick ass engine, and an excelent looking exterior, I will be happy. If you want a leather wrapped interior, buy a Caddy.

CORVETTES FOREVER!!!  Big thumbs up

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

captaingomes

Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:19 am

GD727, you don't understand the vaild points that some of us are making. For the price of a Corvette, which is trully a bargain by the way, you can get other cars which are nearly as fast, and are finished to much higher standards. To pay a lot of money for a vehicle and want an overall package which is of high quality does not make somebody a snob. To look down on people who appreciate something of high quality is however being snobby. Grow up and learn that there are other perspectives out there, some of which are fed up that expensive American cars still don't offer the quality that many imports have already for years. And that holds true for Cadillacs as well. The only vehicles which are currently reversing this trend are the Lincoln Navigator and Aviator. Finally American vehicles with world class interiors!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

JETPILOT

Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:42 am

Hey GD727...

Why don't you go back and read the threads over again... because you obviously missed the point.

The BMW interior isn't wrapped in leather.  Nuts Nobody said it was.

Were talking about the shitty build quality of cars comming out of the Bowling Green Kentucky plant.

BTW your the perfect example of why Corvette has a buyers market. Becaue if it looks good and goes fast why worry about anything else.

Thats why they make Vanilla and Chocolate. Because not everyone likes vanilla. And the peopel who like chocolate are willing to spend the exta money to get it.

JET