Lindy
Topic Author

Identity Theft

Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:56 am

Hello,

One of my previous Credit Card Banks sold my identity to another bank. In their statement it clearly say that they dont sell any privat informations.

"3. Do you sell my information?
No. We do not permit list brokers, mail-order businesses, telemarketers, or other marketing firms to contact you to promote their services or products, and we do not sell, lend, or give out your information for this purpose. If you are a former customer, we maintain the confidentiality of your information as if you were still a customer."

I closed my account in April but I've got letter from new bank that my account has been sold to them from the previous bank.
Can I sue my first bank? The new bank has all my confidental informations including SSN, Address, phone, DOB, mother maiden name etc.

I'm no longer customer with them. And 6 months after I closed my account they sold it. What kind of lawyer should I contact?
I can contact Federal Trade Commission but I wont get any money out of it. My first bank SOLD my informations for PROFIT so I want to get something to.

Thanks,
Rafal

BWIADCA - Nikon D100

jimbobjoe

RE: Identity Theft

Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:33 am

Hi,

My read on this is that the former bank has a slightly misleading way of talking about it's privacy policy.

"Do you sell my information?

No.

Wel...not exactly. We won't sell it to certain people. We've enumerated who these people are. Implicitly, we'll sell it to everyone else whom we did not enumerate."

It's actually pretty easy to see that "list brokers, mail-order businesses, telemarketers, or other marketing firms" does not include...say...another bank.

I dunno if this situation is persuable...and you can call your local bar association for an attorney who specializes in "banking practices" would be what I would say.

david b.

Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:12 am

Contact the FTC, the BBB and get yourself a good lawyer. Sue their sorry ass Big grin
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

air2gxs

Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:45 pm

From what you say, they did not sell your information, but sold your account. It is a fairly common practice in mortgages and such, but I have never heard it done with a credit card account.

Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:44 pm

hardly seems worth worrying about. If your account is closed then the new bank got ripped off buying your information.

VH-ADG

Lindy
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:03 pm

Air2gxs but my account contain all informations about me. As I said before I had nothing to do with the bank when they sold my account. 6 months earlier I closed that account.
If you go to the www.ftc.gov web page you can read stories that people wrote about ID Theft. I'm not worring that my informations will be used in some scum but I dont like the idea that some bank sold my name and got money out of it.

Thanks for replays,
Rafal

BWIADCA - Nikon D100

air2gxs

Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:38 pm

Lindy,

Your account is number is still active even though you closed your account. The bank probably sold a group of account numbers and yours was included. Like I said, it is a common practice in mortgages.

George