B747-437B
Topic Author

Pat Buchanan Calls "Canuckistan" A Terrorist Haven

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:22 pm

Former US Presidential candidate Pat Buchanan today attacked Canada as being a "haven for international terrorists".

Referring to the country as "Soviet Canuckistan" in his MSNBC television show, Buchanan called for the US to ignore Canadas official protest against the deportation of a Canadian citizen to Syria.

"(The Canadians) are the blame America first crowd. (They) have been defended by the United States, they pay nothing for defence. That place is a complete haven for international terrorists. We need lectures from some people, not from Soviet Canuckistan."

The Ottawa based Council of Canadians responded to Buchanan's statement with "It's a disgusting and disgraceful statement based in ignorance. There's no evidence to support the statement that Canada is a haven (for terrorists). We don't have snipers running around with guns. That's not our culture."

Buchanan's views on Canada have been called into question before, when in 1992 he made a statement that "for most Americans, Canada is sort of like a case of latent arthritis. We really don't think about it, unless it acts up."

In other news, US Ambassador to Canada, Paul Cellucci, issued an official apology to the Canadians for the deportation incident that sparked the latest controversy. Canadian Foreign Minister Bill Graham said Thursday that "(Cellucci) informed me that in the future Canadians carrying Canadian passports will not be treated any differently depending on where they were born or for any reason whatsoever."
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

777YYC

RE: Pat Buchanan Calls "Canuckistan" A Terrorist Haven

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:27 pm

I think we all know that Mr. Buchanan is a nutcase and should be ignored.  Nuts

Yeah sure

pacificjourney

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:30 pm

Not sure which is funnier, "Soviet Canuckistan" or " Ottawa based Council of Canadians".
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

jaysit

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:31 pm

Typical crappola from a political has-been who is trying to resuscitate his flagging career by making an inflammatory comment. The truth is that poor Pat and his fellow fascist by birth, sister Bay, will try anything to be in the news. I used to be offended by Pat's drivel, but I think he is just an entertaining hack who will say anything to be in the news, including attempting a presidential bid with this crazy woman who was even nuttier than him.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

USAirways737

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:55 pm

"for most Americans, Canada is sort of like a case of latent arthritis. We really don't think about it, unless it acts up."

I have to agree with Buchanan on this one though (I never thought I'd say that). Canada is definitely over shadowed by the United States and is rarely ever talked about by the American media; the only time we hear about Canada is when they bitch about us (not that they don't have the right to). You would think that since they are right next door to us, we would hear about other things than their dislikes about us. But I guess that's just how it goes, I guess we just think that since they for the most part speak English and seem the same as us we just don't think about them.

I'll admit it, we Americans for the most part are ignorant when it comes to other countries, but I don't feel like I'm losing out, I have all I want here.

Erik in MSP

heavymetal

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:02 pm

Herr Buchanan has gotten very wealthy and very well known hurling canisters of gas at roaring bonfires. Like all assholes, he is nothing more than the leftover noise of a well digested issue.

jcs17

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:10 pm

If you eliminate all of the offensive statements, what Buchanan is saying is pretty much true. The Canadians are very lax in terms of immigration and they grant pretty much anyone and their mother political asylum. They have more problems with illegal immigration than we do, and they dont even seem to care (at least we pretend to let illegal immigration bother us, even though we dont do much about it). Canada is an indirect danger to the U.S. just due to the fact that we share a very unprotected border with them, and with the fact that they let anyone in their country doesnt help anything. The Canadian military has had its budget slashed by the Liberals in the previous years and now struggles to keep itself afloat.

"for most Americans, Canada is sort of like a case of latent arthritis. We really don't think about it, unless it acts up."

As much as I dont hate Canada, the above statement is pretty much true. As I once heard from a "conservative" Canadian journalist on FNC about the immigration problems, "Canada is like the guy sleeping on your couch, you just dont have the heart to tell them to shape up and get their act together." Dont get me wrong here, Canada is a nice place, I've enjoyed it when I've been there but it certainly does have its problems, and those problems are threatening the American way of life.

America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

avt007

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:30 pm

Wow- quite a statement. I'm still tryin to figure out when and where the US defended us from anything........That Buchanan is a nutcase.

b757300

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:53 pm

Probably one of the few things most Democrats and Republicans can agree on is that Pat Buchanan is a political failure who flipped out long ago.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

radarbeam

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:55 pm

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. In any event, Buchanan seems to have forgotten that when the FAA closed the US airspace on sept 11, 2001 all the planes bound for the US were diverted in Canada and that thousands of Americans were given a shelter and food for about 5 days. Wasn't he glad that his Canuckistans neighbors were there to help?

Radarbeam

IHadAPheo

Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:28 pm

RadarBeam says... "Buchanan seems to have forgotten that when the FAA closed the US airspace on Sept 11, 2001 all the planes bound for the US were diverted in Canada and that thousands of Americans were given a shelter and food for about 5 days".. just remember Buchanan is nuts (even for a Yank)

Just remember This American will never forget what Canada did for us on and after Sept 1, 2001 and I and all (almost) American's are grateful.

Yours,
IHadAPheo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

radarbeam

Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:39 pm

I know Americans are grateful, and we are happy we could help you guys out, if needed we would do it again. I think Buchanan speech was just for the show, just an entertaimnent value.

jcs17

Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:17 pm

Just remember This American will never forget what Canada did for us on and after Sept 1 (I assume 11), 2001 and I and all (almost) American's are grateful.

I was very proud to have Canada as our neighbor to the north on Sept. 11 and the following days. All Canadians should be proud of the way their country took in travellers to the US and treated them so well.  Smile. Not to mention Canada producing one of the greatest modern-day conservative pundits around, Jamie Glazov. However, the Canadian government's response to Sept. 11 was weak at best.

seven_fifty7

RE: Pat Buchanan Calls "Canuckistan" A T

Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:48 pm

I hope no one North of the Border presumes that Buchanan speaks for most Americans. Almost everyone I know despises the man. He's a deliberate pain in the a$$ for all rational and sane Americans. And as far as Americans "not thinking about Canada," that really only holds true for the geographically illiterate (and there are many) who probably can't even find Canada on the map.

I'm still trying to figure out why conservative republicans aren't embarrassed by Buchanan's antics over the years. Hmmmm. Kinda telling about that party if you ask me.

As a side note, I'm getting the feeling that at a time when the U.S. needs its closest allies the most, this country seems to burning bridges with them. This is no time to be attacking our allies (unlesss it's warranted).

How could anyone attack Canada this way?

L-188

Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:59 pm

Because loons like him make the rest of us seem in the mainstream  Big thumbs up
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

L-188

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:06 pm

To be honest to a lot of people of either major type of political pursuasion the response to him is obvious.....

jcs17

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:21 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why conservative republicans aren't embarrassed by Buchanan's antics over the years. Hmmmm. Kinda telling about that party if you ask me.

Last time I checked Pat Buchanan belonged to the Reform Party, not the Republicans. Although I agree with his statements (if you take out the offensive stuff), it is unfair to lump his views in with that of the Republican party, considering he left it to become the Reform Party candidate. Get your facts straight, before making a broad attack on the Republican party.

GDB

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:40 pm

Someone should remind this dork about where the Sept 11th hijackers learnt to fly.

donder10

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:08 pm

Rumsfeld(sp?)has said that the US contains the most Al Qaeda cells in the world.By Buchanan's thinking does this make the US a terrorist haven? Smile
I wish I had the link to the 'shut the fuck up'JPEG,KROC used

Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:11 pm

I simply give Pat Buchanan the same treatment I give to most politicians' utterances.

Specifically, I treat their muttering the same way I treat the noise of the vehicles that go down my street: as background noise, going in one ear and out the other.

seven_fifty7

RE: Pat Buchanan Calls "Canuckistan" A T

Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:32 am

Jcs17 wrote:

...it is unfair to lump his views in with that of the Republican party, considering he left it to become the Reform Party candidate. Get your facts straight, before making a broad attack on the Republican party.

Little guy, who the he11 are you telling to get "facts straight?" Is Pat yer uncle or somethin? We all know the idiot defected to the Republican Party, but he is STILL, nonetheless, embraced by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Newt, and Jesse Helms. Right? He's basically still a "conservative" republican at heart. He even was quoted as saying that during the last Presidential race.

And besides, if there are any people who thrive on making "broad attacks" on people it IS the republicans.

"Tree hugging liberals?" Ever heard of that one? I think every conservative Republican has used that broad attack at anyone who disagrees with them.

Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:56 pm

What proof does Buchanan have for saying that Canada is became a terrorist haven? I certainly haven't heard anything like that before.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

tnnh

mandala499

Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:27 pm

The day Pat Buchanan runs against Ross Perot, I think I'll vote Perot ! LOL

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

blink182

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:52 am

Pat Buchanan, lol. I have no respect for the guy.

Canadians-- Do not get offended, this is just another dumb remark from the dumbest person in the United States  Nuts

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

jcs17

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:56 am

Little guy, who the he11 are you telling to get "facts straight?" Is Pat yer uncle or somethin? We all know the idiot defected to the Republican Party, but he is STILL, nonetheless, embraced by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Newt, and Jesse Helms. Right? He's basically still a "conservative" republican at heart. He even was quoted as saying that during the last Presidential race.

Show me proof that Gingrich, Limbaugh, and Helms endorsed Pat Buchanan in any way during the last election. They all agree with him on certain issues but to say he is embraced by them is an irresponsible statement.

And besides, if there are any people who thrive on making "broad attacks" on people it IS the republicans.

Yeah, right. In case you havent been paying attention, your beloved dems are certainly guilty of scare tactics. Targeting the elderly and the blacks---and if you say that this isnt true...you need to open your eyes, go check out some of the ads on the DNC website.

"Tree hugging liberals?" Ever heard of that one? I think every conservative Republican has used that broad attack at anyone who disagrees with them

Right...I dont think that Democrats have ever been guility of using generalizations EVER. They are such an honest party, filled with honest, and honorable people.

Where did it say in my posts above that I like Buchanan. I dont. I just agree with what he said, when you take out the offensive stuff.

polaris

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:31 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it a white supremacist that first coined the phrase "Soviet Canuckistan"? If so, who was it?

From CTV News: It's not the first time that Buchanan has given Canada a tongue lashing.

In 1990, Buchanan wrote that if Canada shattered following the failure of the Meech Lake constitutional accord, "America would pick up the pieces."

Two years later, he said: "For most Americans, Canada is sort of like a case of latent arthritis. We really don't think about it, unless it acts up."

Unfortunately, too many misinformed Americans (and Canadians) believe this person. And you know what? Canada and Canadians sit back and take it. Time to speak up and be a little more forceful. Oh right, we can't do that otherwise more tariffs will be slapped onto another one of our exports.

So what does that make me now? A Soviet Canuckistaner, a canuckistanian, canucker, canois, canister?

yyz717

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:35 am

Canadians-- Do not get offended, this is just another dumb remark from the dumbest person in the United States

LOL. No worries. He's well known up here in Canada as a right-wing whacko.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

B747-437B
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:28 am

The Canadians are very lax in terms of immigration

If the fact that they process applications usually within 18 months of receiving them as opposed to the 10 years or more that the US usually requires make them "lax", then so be it.

At least the Canadians have a definite policy about who they let in to the country. The US literally runs a LOTTERY to decide who gets green cards. I suppose that process is a lot less lax?

"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

AC320

Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:52 am

6.5 years in the USA and over $10,000 later I'm still waiting for a green card
fuddle duddle

dripstick

Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:06 am

What's another word for thesaurus?

IMissPiedmont

Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:04 am

"If you eliminate all of the offensive statements,....."

Then Pat would be rendered mute.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

airplay

Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:50 am

In my opinion Pat Buchanan has just replaced Jesse Helms as the US politician most ignorant on the relationship between Canada and the US.

Both these nut-bars need to be put out to pasture. Maybe they can share a meadow with Brian Mulroney (A Canadian politician who has been out to pasture but now just needs to be put out of his misery).

Smile

By the way, I came across this a few days ago and I think it is quite accurate:

http://loki814.tripod.com/europe/canadians.html

jcs17

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:22 pm

If the fact that they process applications usually within 18 months of receiving them as opposed to the 10 years or more that the US usually requires make them "lax", then so be it.

At least the Canadians have a definite policy about who they let in to the country. The US literally runs a LOTTERY to decide who gets green cards. I suppose that process is a lot less lax?

In no way am I saying that the US is a model example for immigration policy. But at least we "say" that we do not allow terrorists into our country, Canada on the other hand allows everyone in. Is it a good thing that Canada processes immigrants in 18 months? Maybe not... I dont know why some of you think that Canada is the model nation in terms of immigration, considering the fact that they have allowed documented terrorists in to their country. Canada's immigration policies are a clear danger to American national security, as sneaking through the Canadian-American border is easier than getting a soda out of the fridge.

avt007

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:31 pm

I came across an interesting quote where he calls us the most important country in the world to the US. http://www.issues2000.org/Pat_Buchanan_Foreign_Policy.htm
As for the article on telling an American and a Canadian apart, it`s pretty damn close Smile

Jayce

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:47 pm

When did American defend us? Didn't they just bomb us in Afghanistan? What if Canada had done that to the US? There would be a big giant hole where Canada used to be.

They usually ask us for help in the wars they start. Canada is like the designated driver for North America. We follow around the US, shaking our heads, then help clean up Big grin .

Airplay-I love the article, its so true.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

AC320

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:57 pm

Buchanan on Quebec: Offer seceding provinces alliances or statehood

He is now officially sub-moronic and a complete @sshole, and that is subprisingly the least moronic or offensive part of his foreign policy
fuddle duddle

airplay

Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:02 pm

In no way am I saying that the US is a model example for immigration policy. But at least we "say" that we do not allow terrorists into our country, Canada on the other hand allows everyone in.

That's a pretty short sighted comment and is inaccurate. It would be just as inappropriate to say that the US doesn't have to let "terrorists" in...they already have home grown terrorists:

1) Timothy McVeigh
2) The Uni-Bomber
3) Washington Snipers

etc, etc.......

jcs17

Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:24 pm

That's a pretty short sighted comment and is inaccurate. It would be just as inappropriate to say that the US doesn't have to let "terrorists" in...they already have home grown terrorists:

Last time I checked:
A. Lee Malvo was born in Jamaica and entered the US illegally.
B. The US has 10 times the population that Canada does, so to point out individual examples is ridiculous.
C. Its not like Canada is devoid of "home-grown" terrorists...ever hear of the FLQ?

You can support the Canadian immigration system to your heart's content. I'm just saying, that as an American citizen, it is a danger the US.

yyz717

Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:27 pm

At least the Canadians have a definite policy about who they let in to the country.

This is absolutely not true. Canada's immigration policy is full of loopholes. Thousands of 3rd world migrants bend/break the rules to arrive in Canada each year, and then claim refugee status....then disappear in the cities.

Canada's immigation policy is largely out of control.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

AC320

Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:37 pm

Canada and it's policies poses as much a threat to the United States as a drop of my spit is to Atlantic Ocean's ecosystem.

Maybe Canada occasionally lets some not-so-nice people get in, but last I checked some people with shady pasts got into the USA, stayed past INS' welcome, and managed to get control of some planes.

So your options to solve this grievance are:

A) Keep moaning
B) Fix INS so that it lets the right people in promptly and keeps the bad ones out, and make it a shining example to the world governments so that they may follow your glorious example
C) Step-up security at the border
D) Invade Canada and set things right yourself
fuddle duddle

CMK10

Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:44 pm

Honestly, no one should ever take what Pat Buchanan says seriously. If he told me my pants were on fire and I felt heat on my legs, I wouldn't listen to him.
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

B747-437B
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:26 pm

Canada's immigration policy is full of loopholes. Thousands of 3rd world migrants bend/break the rules to arrive in Canada each year, and then claim refugee status....then disappear in the cities.

No argument from me there. Let me rephrase what I said. Canada's IMMIGRATION policy is very straightforward and almost efficient. Canada's REFUGEE policy would probably welcome Saddam Hussein as he flees "in fear of persecution" from the invading US forces.

Canadians WELCOME foreigners with open arms and give them every opportunity to show that their intentions are benign. The United States begins their dealings with you with the assumption that you mean them harm, and often that backfires in their face.

This past year, I have had the (mis)fortune to have been interrogated by both a US Government agency (INS) and a Canadian agency (CSIS). The difference in attitude between the two was amazing. CSIS asked me questions, listened to my responses, verified the facts and thanked me for my time. INS asked the same questions, told me what the answers should be and then physically abused me in the hope that I would confess to something I never did.

So yes, Canadian immigration policy may have its flaws, but I'm grateful to Canada for the fact that I'm not sitting in Guantanamo Bay right now and instead suffering through the first snowfall of the year. If that makes it a haven for terrorists, then I hate to think of the alternative.

L-188

Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:57 pm

I mentioned it allready once in another post but I will repost here.

If memory serves, More Canadian citizens came south and join the US Armed Forces in the Vietnam War then Hippie Draft Dodgers headed north.

Canadian Forces operated from US bases during WWII and at least one of their fighter pilots got a confirmed kill over the Aleutians. Also several died during the invasion of Kiska, the liberation of that island removed the last Japanese garrison occupying an American home island.

Can we lay off the Canucks for a wee bit please.....Don't mix up a Canadian with those yahoo's from Quebec.

AC320

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:01 pm

I'm a "yahoo from Quebec" and very much a Canadian thank you very much, you just offended a whole bunch of Canadian users here
fuddle duddle

L-188

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:05 pm

Damm Francophones.....

We talked about this earlier.....Real Canadians come from north of 60 Big grin

AC320

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:31 pm

I'm an Anglophone and very pissed off
fuddle duddle

L-188

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:37 pm

I claim to be quarter Canadian myself AC320, my grandmother was born and raised in Alberta.

AC320

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:39 pm

wow I feel so much better knowing that now thank you, it justifies everything

*that set the sarcasm metre off the scale*
fuddle duddle

L-188

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:42 pm

Relax, I was trying to kid not to insult there.....

Actually there where some of the countrymen that got a kick out of that north of 60 comment.

Did you see this posting?

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/298609/

AC320

Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:45 pm

Your attempt at a joke failed
fuddle duddle