Art Galleries - Like'em?

Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:52 am

Quick question: any of you out there appreciate art?

Personally, I don't understand "Modern" art, therefore cannot appreciate it.

I prefer the beautiful landscape paintings of Turner, Claude Lorrain and Poussin.

I'm also a fan of 17/18th Century Dutch/Flemish "every-day life" paintings....Maes, Vermeer, de Hooch etc.

Anyone else out there appreciate these sorts of paintings? LOL, I'll soon find out by the number of replies.

Looking forward to visiting the Art Galleries in San Diego on my visit there in 2 weeks time.

There is a fabulous exhibition of 1800s American Landscape paintings ("American Sublime") on at the Minneapolis Institute of Art....the last leg of its 3-city tour, having previously been exhibited in the Tate Britain (London) and Philadelphia Art Gallery earlier this year.........beautiful views of the American Landscape, you ought to go & have a look if you're near Minneapolis!

http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/index1.html

Rgds

Lortab 7.5mg

RE: Art Galleries - Like'em?

Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:07 am

I like impressionism and post-impressionism. Works by Renoir, Van Gogh, Monet, Cezanne, et al.

I especially like Le Déjeuner sur l'Herbe (The Picnic) by Edouard Manet.

srbmod

Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:35 am

When I was younger, I really didn't like art all that much; my dad once took my sister and I to the High Museum of Art here in Atlanta (in either 1981 or 1982, I can't remember, but it was still in Memorial Arts Hall), and the only part I like was the exhibition they had of old toys. I have only gone to the High once since then, and it was to see the Picasso exhibition a few year back. I meant to go a few other times when they had a Pop Art exhibit, a Norman Rockwell exhibition, an exhibition of Pre-Raphaelite art, and the recent exhibition of Monet. I really did like the National Gallery in D.C., and especially enjoyed the Hirshhorn Gallery (modern art) there as well. Another art museum I like was in of all places, Montgomery, Alabama. The Montgomery Museum of Fine Art was the first art museum I went to as an adult, so I think I really got an appreciation after going there. They had some rare paintings by Zelda Fitzgerald, the wife of author F. Scott Fitzgerald, who was my favorite author at that time.

Lortab 7.5mg

Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:40 am

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Art Institute of Chicago. One of the great art museum of the world.

http://www.artic.edu/aic/index.html