Best City In Germany For Art Galleries/Museums?

Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:39 pm

Hi there

I am thinking of flying for the day to Frankfurt - some time in late January. Was wondering whether anyone might confirm the fact that Frankfurt has some of Germany's finest art galleries and museums, of any German city?

Of course, I could easily find the information on lonelyplanet.com, but I was wondering whether anyone might have any personal recommendations. I'm mainly into 17-19th Century art, especially landscape and Dutch/Flemish.

With numerous low-cost airlines now flying between the UK and Germany, now is a good time to visit a number of cities - prices are still very cheap for late January.

Rgds

RE: Best City In Germany For Art Galleries/Museums?

Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:40 pm

Woops. eh....sorry for being such a dumb ass......major embarrassment here!

rabenschlag

Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:26 am

while i cant see what makes you such a dumb ass, i can strongly recommend to go to munich and see the fabulous "pinakotheken". you will particularly like the "alte pinakothek" which has a huge selection of what you are looking for.

but also do not miss the "pinakothek der moderne" which opened this autumn and has a HUGE selection of modern art.

r.

Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:33 am

Thanks much R. Will definitely look that place up.

The dumb ass reference was for posting in the incorrect forum.

Regarding "modern art", I presume you are talking about "modernist" i.e. 1960s+ art. Unfortunately, I cannot yet fully understand this art, and therefore do not like it. However, I do find people's reactions to a blank piece of canvass rather interesting.  Big grin

Rgds

NoUFO

RE: Best City In Germany For Art Galleries/Museums

Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:42 am

Hehe, so many forums here ...  Big grin
Now back to the topic ( Big grin ) - why not Berlin? We have a "Museums Island" here in middle of the city with plenty of museums and galleries to die from hunger during visit: Old Museum, New Museum, Nationalgalerie, Pergamon Museum. There are (at least) two more situated at "Unter den Linden", which is a stone's throw from Museums Island.
And then there is Brücke Museum ...

Note the opening hours/days! Most museums are closed on mondays.

http://www.museumsinsel-berlin.de German only  Confused
http://www.bruecke-museum.de/english.htm

Spring 2003 will see the the reopening of Deutsches Technikmuseum - a direct competitor to Deutsches Museum in Munich.

Regards,
NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

Treg

Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:43 am

Dresden is very famous for their galleries. If you have a day or two - definently worth to visit

NoUFO

Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:00 am

Hm, Munich's "Alte Pinakothek" is indeed worth a suggestion ... Rubens, Brueghel, van Dyck ...

NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

LH526
Crew

Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:02 am

To spread another alternative and to confuse you even more  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Frankfurt is also very well known for his museums and gallerys. We have the "Staedele" a high-reputation gallery/museum of every kind of art, we have the Moma (museum of modern art) wich architecture itself can be called art .. and many more gallerys and art-museums.
Frankurt lies on the river named "Main", and there even is a "museum-shore" with one museum after the other (art, film/movies, postal-museum, ...)

So, all in all HIGHLY recommended!

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:30 am

Thanks very much for your advice.

It's great, I don't know where to start! Luckily, I can get some money from college for visits to such places, so I will definitely be looking at the relevant web links.

Rgds