bravo45

Jihad And Its Wrong Interpretation.

Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:59 am

The best explaination that I have so far been able to make to start someone telling about Jihad with a VERY VERY vast topic is that "Jihad" is NOT the Islamic translation of the Christian word "Crusade". Just to give you a small exaple of how far does this Jihad does, you couldn't possibly be crusading here on the net if you preach christianity or explain it but I am doing Jihad when I tell you the truth about Islam when you believe the oppsosite of what
Islam really is.
I use the Babylon dictionary because its very easily accessible while reading something on the net. As I was typing this post, it came to my mind and I wrote the word "Jihad" and this is what I got: "n. holy war (Islam)"
How untrue but a result from a very respected source. However, the dictionary gives results and links to many other sources as well. Never have I looked into it as there is one meaning to all words and reading that one main result ofcourse sartisfies you. However I had to look to the other sources as this meaning is ABSOLUTELY wrong.
The first source, Britannica.com explains Jihad as: ("fight," or "battle"), a religious duty imposed on Muslims to spread Islam by waging war;jihad has come to denote any conflict waged for principle or belief and is often translated to mean "holy war".

There there is a link of "More results" which when I clicked revealed many sources that I quote here.

First one,"Glossary of religious terms". It says," A striving for perfection, frequently used within Islam. The western media incorrectly interprets the term as a synonym for "holy war".

The second one is "Official Islam Glossary for Intriduction to Religion" It says, "There are two types of Jihad. The lesser Jihad is the expectation that Moslems will defend their homeland and Islam from attack. The greater Jihad is the inner battle which Moslems continually fight within themselves to submit to Allah and to fulfill his expectations of humans.

The third one is "Dune Glossary" which says, "a religious crusade; fanatical crusade.

The fourth one is "English-Bulgarian" which says something I think in Bulgarian but the text is strange and it doesn't have the option to pasted here. But I guess that its just the tranlation s its only a one word and not explaination.

The fifth one is "Babylon Portuguese_English" which says that "jihad, holy war undertaken by Muslims against those that do not believe in Islam.

Clicking further on "More results" gives two more,
1st: "Balifolder,com" which says, "holy war (Islam)
2nd: "Dictionar Roman-Englez" which says that "Jihad(razboi sfant arab) Jihad"

So what do you think??????
Is it the Muslims clerics that are wrong and saying the truth????? I am mad at seeing this bullshit and these many ways to mislead the people while being able to protect their own reputation. It should have been the Babylon itself that should have corrected itself, instead it says what it wants and just provides a little window of opportunity for someone who is desperately looking to search for the truth. Personally I use babylon a lot and NEVER see the "More results" section. But this time I knew that its wrong so I just went ahead. I know rightfully that the media is spreading wrong impression about Islam, this time I have found a very respectable source of knowledge doing the same.

RE: Jihad And Its Wrong Interpretation.

Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:18 am

I know rightfully that the media is spreading wrong impression about Islam, this time I have found a very respectable source of knowledge doing the same.

You want us to believe that the Islamic Jihad terrorists blowing themselves up among Israeli citizens are fighting an "inner battle which Moslems continually fight within themselves to submit to Allah and to fulfill his expectations of humans"; and was it also the activity of the 19 suicide hijackers of September 11?

The definition of "jihad" is perhaps wrong, but it IS widely used in the Muslim world to describe the "holy war" against the "Infidels". That's the point, nothing else.

bravo45

Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:33 am

You want us to believe that the Islamic Jihad terrorists blowing themselves up among Israeli citizens are fighting an "inner battle which Moslems continually fight within themselves to submit to Allah and to fulfill his expectations of humans"; and was it also the activity of the 19 suicide hijackers of September 11?
This is the GODDAMNED fact that I am trying to explain. THEY ARE TERRORISTS AND THEIR ACTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM BUT WITH PSYCHOLOGY PERHAPS. Why do you guys miss this point all the time?????
Its an individual that is wrong and NOT Islam. They ONLY seek a WRONG justification and a lot of people including the western media is there to help them. THIS IS THE POINT and it needs to be changed. Those of you saying that Muslim clerics are not saying correcly shoudl be able to understand by this that the MOST they can do is to write the truth in their dictionaries and can say the truth in public and this IS what they are doing. Its the responsibility of the media to take their words thousands of miles from there to all corners of the world. Unfortunately they are not telling the world the truth.

The definition of "jihad" is perhaps wrong, but it IS widely used in the Muslim world to describe the "holy war" against the "Infidels". That's the point, nothing else.
Wrong!!!!! This is the impression on you people that the media has created. The terrorists use these terms and you know how many are they. But this wrong information being spread by such respectable and widely used sources DON'T help the cause of spreading the truth.

delta-flyer

Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:42 am

This is the impression on you people that the media has created.

And where does the media get this erroneous information? Do they just make it up because they don't like Muslims?

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

bravo45

Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:52 am

And where does the media get this erroneous information? Do they just make it up because they don't like Muslims?
I don't know about that. What I do know is that something is not right here and that what they are saying is not ture. This is one proof and I just got it accidently when I wasn't even looking for it. Just explains how easy it is to get wrong information about Islam which is soo widely spread. I don't blame any individual here that associates wrong things with Islam because they are not at fault. I just point the cause to them and ask them to search for the truth if they are very keen or atleast not to believe in the wrong things.

Dasa

Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:00 pm

Pete, the media jumps on any chance to make a scapegoat out of somebody, and considering the way the religion of Islam is seen in the West, it is easy for them to just put down any definition of Jihad and most people will believe it. Anyway, you can't really rely on the mass media to provide accurate news, just have a look at CNN or Fox News sometime, then you'll see what I mean. By the way, a large majority of the Western world does think that all Muslims are terrorists etc etc, so the media would obviously want to cater to the majority, so they spout out this tripe, such as calling Jihad a holy war.

yyz717

Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:55 pm

Just explains how easy it is to get wrong information about Islam which is soo widely spread.

If anything, it's Christianity and the West that are under attack by the government controlled Muslim medias. There is really no such thing as freedom of the press in Muslim countries.....at least no where near the freedom of the Western press. For all its faults, I'll take the Western press reports anytime.

Realistic criticism and unbiased but negative reporting of Islam is not anti-Islamic.

a large majority of the Western world does think that all Muslims are terrorists etc etc,

This is absolutely untrue! This is just flame-bait.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Dasa

Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:11 pm

Sorry, I should rephrase that, it should be:
a large majority of the Western world does think that Islam is a religion of terrorists etc etc.

By the way Yyz, this is a serious question, do you really think Christianity and the way of the West is the right way for everyone?

tbar220

Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:18 pm

Islamic Jihad - The name of a Palestinian terrorist group devoted to the destruction of Israel and the killing of Israeli civilians using terror methods, including and not limited to suicide bombings, car bombings, bus bombings, gun raids, sniper raids, settlement infiltration, and other methods of destruction.

As long as there are groups like these using the term for Jihad for their own twisted methods, that's all I'm going to see it as. Sorry, but when my family is in danger of being blown up by psychos like these, then you should understand why I feel that way.
NO URLS in signature

bravo45

Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:35 pm

Yyz717,
For all its faults, I'll take the Western press reports anytime.
You are perhaps not even prepared to see behind the curtain pulled over your eyes. This is a situation in which NO ONE can help you but your self. Enjoy your liberties and feel free to believe what ever you like, but then don't be confident that you are right. This is as far as logic goes. Understanding this is up to an individual's own ability.

Tbar220,
As long as there are groups like these using the term for Jihad for their own twisted methods, that's all I'm going to see it as...
For that you should also know that acts of the IDF and the hatred that a Palestinian feels for Israel when it demolishes his house and makes settlement on it. Just today there is picture of a Palestinian woman sitting on the rubble of what used to be her house in a refugee camp I guess and showing her broken artificial leg. The real one has already been cut off during an Israli raid. This topic is very deep and not our point of discussion here. What I am saying is something else. If you think that way ONLY because there is a terrorist organisation by the name of Islamic Jihad, just wonder if you would feel the same way about the word crusade, should (suppose) they change their name to some like crusaders. Wheather you do or not, you should know the real meaning of the word Jihad. As for the conflict, as far as my views go, Israel is to be blamed for all this. As the media spreads wrong things about Islam, it also hides the fact that the Prime Minister of Israel, Ariel Sharon is a wanted war crimes criminal because of an incident that occured under his command LONG time before he became the Prime Minister. What he has done since then, would perhaps never be known to its full extent. What I know is that his place is hanging down the death plank (I have said this before) for what he has done on ONLY ONE KNOWN OCCASION. So there is a lot to be said from both sides. But as I said thats not the topic here, we have and wil discuss this on other threads.

tbar220

Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:45 pm

If you start this thread just to bash Israel, take it somewhere else. Islamic Jihad, the terrorist organization, is a bunch of psychos, and you don't need to see both sides to understand that. Nowhere does it say I have to blame the IDF for their actions, or even mention that. So I wont, and I'm going to condemn this terrorist organization. That's it.
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:54 pm

And by the way, after telling me to look at both sides, you shouldn't go and make a statement saying...

"Israel is to be blamed for all this"

Just a tad bit hypocritical.
NO URLS in signature

bravo45

Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:56 pm

I was speaking from the point of view of a Palestinian and NOT as a member of Islamic Jihad. You also don't need to see noth sides to be able to understand the terrorism of the IDF. I condemn IDF!!!

If you start this thread just to bash Israel, take it somewhere else.
May I humbly ask you WHO THE HELL STARTED THIS???? Scroll up to see. I have already said not to start this here. An I have just said this again.

ryanb741

Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:10 pm

ANY war which has its roots in religion is IMHO stupid. Do you honestly think God would want people to fight in His name? Like He isn't big and powerful enough to do what the heck He wants without getting a bunch of brainwashed mortals back on the insignificant planet earth to do His bidding?.....

Anyone who fights to defend a theocracy is a moron. There just happens to be more morons in the Islamic world than elsewhere at the moment, although history shows that this has not always been the case.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

qatarairways

Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:00 pm

I have decided to stop participating in the non aviation forum but I will just try to clear things up. Jihad literarily means Effort in Arabic and in the islamic context everything like seeking education and knowledge, mothering a child, resisting oppression, building mosques etc... is considered Jihad and rewarded so in heaven.

Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:22 am

...building mosques etc...<

in "etc..." you mean blowing up buses and restaurants full of (infidel) people or crashing airplanes into skycrapers, for instance.

david b.

Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:10 am

...building mosques etc...<

in "etc..." you mean blowing up buses and restaurants full of (infidel) people or crashing airplanes into skycrapers, for instance.

No TD, thats what terrorist do. Religions people do not do that. Believe what you want just don't lash out when someone talks bad about your religion.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

wn700driver

Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:54 am

Toda,

Jews build temples, cities, educate their children, etc. Of course by etc, I mean they like to also blow up children, fire missles into buildings, and level palastinian townships. They do this because they are Jews and for no other reason. They also breathe fire & eat children, and can be held responsible for inventing slavery as well. I heard that as of last week they now have X-ray vision too.
Just wanted to point out how retarded your post was. I am not super familiar with the etymology of the word Jihad, but QA lives in an Arab Nation in the ME & this means he probably speaks the language, so I would be an ass to argue the point wouldn't I? Hope you learnt something there Fritz...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Scorpio

Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:25 am

Toda, Reisinger,

You are kidding, right? PLEASE tell me you're kidding!

Knowing the way you reason, however, I fear you are not kidding. In the very probable case that you are not kidding I have this to say: your satement has got to be one of the most ludicrous I have ever read, and is an insult and nothing less to an entire culture and religion. If you don't see how that is the case, allow me to draw the following parallel:
Would you like it if people told you that occupying people's land and chasing them out of their homes is an integral part of the Jewish faith? Sure you wouldn't, because it's grossly wrong. Just like your very derogatory statement about Islam.

You should be ashamed.

bravo45

Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:38 am

Hahahahahahaha!!
Well didn't wanted to get to that but the post was way beyond my wildest expectations of being beyond intellect.

IndianGuy

Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:56 pm

Rather than getting into long-winded arguments about the true meaning of Jihad, I think the Islamic people must address the root cause of this misunderstanding. True, people don’t understand the real meaning of Jihad. But why is that? It is because the Islamic people have themselves allowed their leaders to (ab)use Islam in such a manner as to create a stereotype about Islam being violent and permanently at war with other states.

They must understand that their religious sentiments have been exploited by the Imperialist countries only for their own gain and to the detriment of the Islamic countries. The first instance of this is ironically in Afghanistan, where the US used jihadi scumbags to overthrow the regime of Najibullah. Here Pakistan was used as a condom to facilitate their evil designs.

Again, Chechnyan Terrorists are being trained in Georgia (an American ally) and infiltrated into ferment discord in the Russian province of Chechnya. Ditto in the Philippines and again in Kashmir, and again in Xinjiang province of China! And all in the name of jihad!

All these are examples where the Islamic concept of Jihad was misused and put to a use quite distinct from what it really means! So is it any surprise that people have forgotten its true meaning?

-Roy

Rai

Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:21 pm

They must understand that their religious sentiments have been exploited by the Imperialist countries only for their own gain and to the detriment of the Islamic countries. The first instance of this is ironically in Afghanistan, where the US used jihadi scumbags to overthrow the regime of Najibullah. Here Pakistan was used as a condom to facilitate their evil designs.

Last time I checked, the Europeans were in the Islamic world far before the Americans were. Your knowledge of history is laughable at best...

Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:04 pm

you should then tell your Palestinian friends to change the name of one of their main terror organization....from "Islamic Jihad" to something else.......

But of course, if the Western world has "biased" views concerning the supposedly "true" meaning of "jihad", it is the media's fault;

for sure, it isn't the "Islamic Jihad"'s fault for instance......

tbar220

Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:19 pm

Bravo,

If your harddrive in your brain if you have one has a capacity of less than 1 MB I would humbly ask you to upgrade your self.

Don't resort to insults. It looks very badly upon yourself, its not necessary, and is just plain rude.
NO URLS in signature