Superfly
Topic Author

Lounge Music Fans Here? (Mature Audience)

Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:47 pm

Any fans of lounge music here?
I've been on a lounge music kick for the past two years.
It all started with a Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 8track I got in a collection with my car when I bought it. I think it's awesome. I like the mellow care free sound of 1960 & 1970s lounge music.
Sometimes I feel that our world would be a much more peaceful place if more people sat back, have a martini and relax to sounds of Dick Hyman doing The Girl From Impanema with his organ or Herb Alpert doing Miss Frenchy Brown.  Smile

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass has some great classics!  Smokin cool

Places that play lounge music tend to be very laid back and a cool place to have a cocktail and good conversations.

I like the friendly unpretentious atmosphere of lunges vs. an uptight modern trend establishment.

Gino Vannelli is one of the most under-rated musciians/songwritters of our time. He is know more for his pop stuff more than his compositions. Thats the record company's fault.  Sad

747-451, I had to throw this one in.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

RE: Lounge Music Fans Here? (Mature Audience)

Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:46 pm

******CHICAGO*****

[insert - dialog that I realy did'nt need to add]

Those guys are gumbo! *yay*

mb

Andreas

Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:53 am

I AM!!!!! Just listen to some of the best compilations:
Hotel Costes, all five of them
Brazilectro samplers 1-4
Sunsets 1-3
Verve and Verve remixed
AsiaLounge 1 and 2, for those of you who need your daily dosis of sitar
some good French stuff like Ludovic Navarre, try it you'll love it!!
Thievery Corporation, those 2 guys are really fat!!

and so on and so on.....

Man, I never understood why some people denounce it as easy listening... it's just lovely and what do you want more from music except to make you feel good!!!!

Regards

Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

tbar220

Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:38 am

Sometimes I feel that our world would be a much more peaceful place if more people sat back, have a martini and relax to sounds of Dick Hyman doing The Girl From Impanema with his organ or Herb Alpert doing Miss Frenchy Brown.

The solution to world peace is right here staring us in the face people.  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:08 am

Tbar220:
Oh my gosh, I didn't realize how that could have a double meaning until now. Embarrassment  Big grin

Seriously, Dick Hyman does a great job on The Girl From Impanema.

Andreas:
I will check those guys out.  Smokin cool

Mx5_boy:
I never thought of Chicago as being lounge music. Althought there album 'VII' (1974) has some tunes that could fit in a lounge setting. The songs 'Call On Me', 'Prelude', 'Aire' & 'Devils Suite' definatly has a lounge feel to it.
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie

Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:43 am

Tbar220, now that is classic! And all I picked up on was Dick Hyman! LOL  Big thumbs up

Superfly, I love lounge music but really didn't know any names or songs. But I thank you for the list you've given b/c now I can look into them.

But I love hitting lounges and relaxing in Manhattan.

We should have a martini meet up in NYC at the Idlewild bar sometime!

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

lubcha132

Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:56 am

dude!

i have a few of the Ultra-Lounge CD's they sell at barnes and noble.. I LOVE THE STUFF!!!!!

its great background music or even music you can concentrate on..good stuff Big grin Big grin

Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:46 am

I grew up with Herb Alpert & the TJB, great music, my jukebox carries More and Amore, Marching Through Madrid, Jerusalem etc. I agree, breakout the martini shaker,put your feet up, line up the CD's, and call it a day!!!

5.0 4ever

tbar220

Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:01 am

Struck a nerve there eh Superfly? You don't know how hard I was laughing when I read that part of your post Big grin Ok, so maybe I should get my mind out of some places, but it was a great little play on words  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

Andreas

Superfly: You Do That, Start With Hotel Costes

Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:52 pm

done by one Stephane Pompougnac, and I swear to God you'll emigrate to Europe immediately!!!
Listen to that, have a lovely mojito if it's hot outside or a whisky sour if it's cold outside, put up your legs and have your feet massaged by the girl from "Nu de lune"  Love  Love (another supercool lounge sampler from France), or whatever you want to have a massaged, and you're in heaven!
Peace!
Andreas

btw: some good ones from the US besides Herb Alpert:
Claus Ogermann, great boxset, 4 CDs, just great, much better than the last Diana Krall album where he did his lovely string arrangements.
Henry Mancini, well not exactly lounge, but try it you'll love it!

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:03 pm

Andreas:
Some of Henry Mancini's stuff is great. I have 'Mancini's Angels' (1977) on 8track.

I think Herb Alpert is Brazilian but I could be wrong.
Bring back the Concorde

Andreas

Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:42 pm

8-track... Big grin Big grin Big grin my uncle, who lives in the city of brotherly love, still has those, too!
If you like Mancini then you NEED Ogermann, you'll be amazed, and of course, never to be forgotten Burt Bacharach...if I listen to Dionne Warwick asking for the way to San Jose, the sun comes up...and stays up! And at the end of the evening, maybe a little bit Bert Kaempfert...
btw: both Ogermann and Bacharach are of German origin, which makes me a little bit proud...*ggg*

as for Herb Alpert, that's what I found on the www:

Born March 31, 1935, Los Angeles, California.
Alpert grew up in L.A. and joined the U.S. Army after high school. He ended up in an Army band, and used his G.I. benefits to attend the University of Southern California after he got out. He soon dropped out of college, though, and knocked around until he got a job with Keen Records, whose leading star was early soul great Sam Cooke. While working at Keen, Alpert wrote "Wonderful World" for Cooke, and it became one of Cooke's all-time hits. Alpert also dabbled in acting during this time, and even got a bit part in The Ten Commandments. .....and so!

EIPremier

Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:54 pm

Yes, I'm very partial to lounge music (and thus far, I have not found anyone else my age who is). It seems to me a lot of people have forgotten that music can actually be relaxing. I like Brazilian or Brazillian-flavored music in particular. Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert are definitely favorites, and thanks to my mom, I do have a copy of that particularly "delectable" album.

cedarjet

Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:00 pm

Yeah baby yeah! I've got stacks of the stuff on vinyl, real old 50s LPs with names like Music For The Cocktail Hour, no hint of post modern irony, this is the real shit. My favourite artist of the genre (I think he just about qualifies) is Jose Feliciano. What an gift of a voice.

I met Henry Mancini once. A true gent and a great man.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

IMissPiedmont

Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:44 pm

If a woman such as appears on the LP cover of "Whipped Cream and other Delights" were looking at me, I'd even listen to rap (shudder) music. Maybe even InSync.

How much whipped cream can a man eat anyway? Forget eating the whipped cream, bury me in it so I can get to what I really want.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

LHMark

Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:50 pm

(wistfully pops in Space Age Bachelor Pad Music by Esquivel)

ESQUIVEL!!! (zu-zu-zu-zu)

Seriously...Lounge music is the secert weapon for my killer parties. Anyone over 21 in ROC, I'll send ya an invite! -Mark
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Superfly
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:43 am

LHMark:
I am sure your parties are a blast!  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde

lubcha132

Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:09 pm

there is nothing better than music with great organ parts, edgy sax solos and great beats.

LONG LIVE LOUNGE MUSIC, along with hawaiian shirts and funky furniture.

Superfly
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:11 pm

EIPremier:
Lounge music and Eichler homes seem to go hand in hand.  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde

sccutler

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:47 pm

Awww, Fly-

You ring my bells so often, I just have to figure we're related somewhere back there! If I could just get you straightened out on that whole political thing (of course, you and my mom are politicaly aligned).

Lounge music, many current compilations, great fun. I love 'em.

Planning on recording some great collections onto 8-track for the Eldorado, 'cuz I'm putting the original 8-track back in this winter.

It'll never make the trip to California (whence it came), but when you come to Dallas, you'll ride in style, and listen that way too.

BTW, Dallas had an outstanding live jazz / lounge place, called "Strictly Tabu," open from the early 50's 'til very recently. Its loss was a tragedy.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Superfly
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:07 pm

Sccutler:
(of course, you and my mom are politicaly aligned).

Mother knows best!  Smile  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

What happened to the Strictly Tabu Lounge?

Bring back the Concorde

sccutler

Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:59 pm

Strictly Tabu has been replaced by some mundane storefront retail. I don't know if the place cratered; the owner lost interest; or rent just got too high. Sad loss; it was kinda neat to have a place in town where my wife and I could go and chill, and know that it was a place frequented by my parents' generation in the late 40s.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

mandala499

Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:57 pm

I never know who plays those music or what the pieces are called... but... love it !

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Andreas

El Premier: If You Love The Brazilian...

Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:28 pm

...music style, just try the Brazilectro sampler (4 volumes up to now). I hope you can get these in the USA, it's great, absolutely great and you'll love it!

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:34 pm

Sccutler:
I hate when that happens. We have a similar place here in San Francisco called the Orbit Room. It has an aviation them. They play lounge music all the time. They also have lots of old 1960s era Pam Am, Olympic, TWA and BOAC advertisments on display.
You MUST check it out next time you are in town.
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie

Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:54 am

Found the CD that got me started! Actually bought it from the POTTERY BARN!

Those complilation CD's are a great way to stir initial interest!

Various Artists
Martini Lounge
(EMI-Capitol Special Markets 19246)

So, there Vik was...wandering the streets of Manhattan with his lovely wife Amy Camus and looking at glassware (the lounge could use some new margarita glasses). A delish display of cobalt blue glasses beckoned from a Pottery Barn near Houston and Broadway and in Vik and Amy went. Browsing the many fabulous styles of glassware, they were suddenly delighted to hear Dean Martin's "Ain't That A Kick in the Head" (a fave at Casa Vik). Now, they were used to hearing such things in Urban Outfitters or some of those silly trendy shops in Soho (hey...they just go for the spectacle), but this was the Pottery Barn. Had their worst fears come true...was "lounge" really mainstream? Well, yes. And no further proof is needed than this collection produced by EMI-Capitol Special Markets for The Pottery Barn and available only at The Pottery Barn. Twelve tracks mostly from the Captiol vaults (with ComEd, Morphine and Esquivel thrown in for god only knows what reason), absolutely no surprises and nothing not available on dozen's of other releases. What fascinates Vik about this is the relation to those old "buy a stereo - get an album" concept of the early hi-fi days. Now, you can buy the pricey barware and get the music to play with it (for $12 a CD). Nothing to rush out and buy, but a nice nod to the almost forgotten (at least in the music biz) concept of cross promotion.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:54 pm

Mirrodie:
Thanks for the tip.
That sounds like it would be a great Christmas gift and an 'introductory' CD for the virgin ears of non-lounge music fans.  Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:26 pm

Definitely  Wink/being sarcastic

Oh, and for best spirits to go with the music, I suggest the following reference book for your home library. I just recieved this as a gift and was pleasantly surprised.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:36 pm

Mirrodie:
Now I know what to tell Santa Clause. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

Marcus

Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:04 am

I know it's a few decades off but is there room for Portishead?

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

SophieMaltese

Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:25 pm

I don't know really what it sounds like to be honest. I'm not sure I'd like it but maybe the whole environment would mix together well. Shoot if I drank enough of those martinis you might even get me liking country!

mirrodie

Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:02 pm

there is nothing better than music with great organ parts

Lubcha, who needs a good innuendo thread when you have comments like that! LOL

Actually, I have been doing some retro research and came across a magazine called ATOMIC magazine. Search them online.

Also, no lounge is complete without some furniture from the following website. http://www.motoart.com

I am getting the desk for my office.

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:13 pm

Sophiemaltese:
You are a very classy Cajun lady!  Smokin cool
I know from our conversations that you would love lounge music!  Smokin cool

Play some at the victory party for Senator Mary Landrieu tomorrow.
You WILL vote tomorrow! Big grin
It's for our children!

Terrell is a B!t.h!  Pissed

Par-Don my French. Smile
Bring back the Concorde