f.pier

New Car Purchase. Are You Nationalist(NO GERMANS)?

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:06 pm

I said no Germans because Germans build VW, Audi, BMW, MB, so, I don't think it's possible not to ne nationalist in that case!!!!!!!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Laugh out loudD

I'm Italian, but when I choose a new car I only choose the one I prefer.
I think that European cars in general and German cars in particular, are the best in the world.

flyf15

RE: New Car Purchase. Are You Nationalist(NO GERMANS)?

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:14 pm

I'm am American and nationality means a lot to me when it comes to cars. I've never bought an American car and I serverely doubt I ever will.

Ndebele

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:27 pm

Well, I am German, sorry for posting anyway... When I bought my car, I didn't know whether to buy an Opel Corsa or a Ford Fiesta. Nationally conscious as I am, I decided to buy the Opel Corsa.
Later I found out that my Corsa was built in Zaragoza (Spain) - Ford Fiesta are built in Cologne (Germany)...

manni

Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:04 pm

I'm Belgian, I've never bought a car other than a German one, and most likely will always keep buying German cars. Not because they are German but because they're simply the best cars out there!
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

delta-flyer

RE: New Car Purchase. Are You Nationalist(NO Germa

Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:37 pm

I've always had American cars, even though not all were built in the USA. My last 2 Dodge Caravans were built in Canada, the engine of a former Pontiac Sunbird (1984) was made in Brazil. All my cars have been quite reliable, although the 1986 Buick Park Avenue had transmission trouble at 80,000 miles and the 96 Caravan had transmission trouble at 110,000.

I had the opportunity to drive an Opel Zafira last year that I rented in Hungary -- it was virtually brand new -- 1500 km on the odo -- I was quite impressed with how well it drove, but unfortunately it was way underpowered.

My father would never buy a German car because of the holocaust. I learned to drive on a 58 Chevy, 3-on-the-tree.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

KRIC777

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:08 am

I'll would never lay out 20-30 Gs based on nationalist sentiment, but would certainly like to buy an American car if and when US carmakers start building more cars in my price range that I like. The problem is that I prefer small cars, and with the exception of the Ford Focus, US manufacturers can't do small cars. The Neon and Cavalier are pure crap. The Europeans don't send any small cars here except for the Jetta/Golf, which are good but a bit pricey, so I guess it'll be Japanese cars for a while for me.

FlyBoeing

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:10 am

I don't like people who are reflexively nationalist against American cars. It seems like they have a sort of elitism against driving Fords or Cadillacs which are just as good as Japanese cars and German cars in their classes.

I try to look at American brands first and then go to other dealerships. That's a fair and evenhanded way of buying cars.

EGGD

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:33 am

I'm am American and nationality means a lot to me when it comes to cars. I've never bought an American car and I serverely doubt I ever will.

ROFL  Big thumbs up.

I'm british, well... anyway, I am not inclined to buy british products, or cars for that matter. I'll chose whatever suits my needs the best, good acceleration, nice esthetic curves, not ugly, ewtc etc etc. Good fuel economy, lowish tax, etc etc.

My father would never buy a German car because of the holocaust.

Thats nice!

Dan  Smile

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:38 am

I'm not a nationalist at all, I regard myself as human, and that's the end of the story.

So, I bought a Volkswagen Passat diesel, and it's very good indeed. They say VW is German, but these days, it could be half-American, half-Uzbeki...who knows and who cares, but I do know that VWs are reliable and reasonably priced, so the choice was simple.

Rgds

SK A340

Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:54 am

Absolutley.

Our cars the recent years has been:

Volvo 240
Volvo 740
Volvo 740
Volvo 940
Volvo 850
Volvo V70 (old)
SAAB 9-5
Volvo V70 (current one)

When we're going to by a new car we only go to Volvo or SAAB. Why choose another one when we build (not own) two of the best?

/SK A340

desertjets

Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:07 am

In this global world today trying to say that one car is American or Japanese or German is a difficult thing. For example is a Chrysler an American or a German car... afterall Chrysler is owned by a German company, it may be assembled in Canada or Mexico, the engine might be made in Detriot, the electronics sourced from Japan, tires from France, steel from the US... the list goes on and on.

One of the ironies of the mid-90s... not sure if it is true today. The Mazda 626 was considered a domestic because more than 75% of its content was US sources... finally assembly took place in Flat Rock, Michigan. The Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis... imports... less than 75% of their content was US sourced and assembled somewhere in Ontario.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

N312RC

Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:14 am

My parents have had American cars always, except for two.

A few years ago my dad leased an Acura 3.0CL, he was so impressed with it that when my mom's lease on her 99 Buick Regal was up, we leased an Acura 3.2TL.

My father and mother have this thing against Volkswagens. The whole slave labor/started by Hitler thing just doesnt sit well with them so I doubt we'll ever get a VW.

Over the Years theyve had:
86 Pontiac Parisienne
92 Buick Regal
93 Buick Regal
93 Buick Skylark
94 Buick Park Avenue
95 Chrysler New Yorker (horrible reliability)
95 Dodge Intrepid (horrible reliability)
96 Buick Park Avenue
97 Buick Park Avenue
98 Mercury Sable
98 Ford Taurus LX
99 Buick Regal
00 Acura 3.0CL
01 Ford Taurus
02 Acura 3.2TL
01 Ford Explorer Sport

As you can see, its been American cars right down the line, except for two (which are both Hondas and have simply fantastic reliaibility). I think the reason that we've driven so many American cars is because we're from the Motor City (Detroit) and more than one family member has worked for all three of the Auto companies in some capacity (from stamping plant to Vice President).
N/A

747-451

Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:09 am

There is no such thing as a nationalist car anymore-Mercedes ML is made in alabama USA, BMW's can be from South Carolina USA, VW in Mexico and the list goes on. Even if you think you are buying a domestic here is an example: Engine made in Brazil, Transmission made in Japan, Electrical's from Germany, Japan and Mexico, Body stampings from Atlanta Gerogia and assembed in Canada. So much for a "domestic Car"....

Alessandro

Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:20 am

Definitly not, both SAAB and Volvo are US owned, built by parts from GM and
Ford and too pricy. I drive a old Citroën and my mum a Suzuki Baleno 4wd
(the cheapest 4wd in Sweden), never liked US cars, to fuel consuming and
conservative for my taste....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

N312RC

Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:23 am

Certain parts of my Explorer Sport's engine were manufactured in Cologne, Germany by Ford of Europe... How can I tell? theres a sticker right on the part that says where its made...

I guess a "nationalist" car could be defined not by where the car is assembled or where the parts come from, but by where the money goes in the end. You may buy a VW Jetta made in Mexico, but the money you paid for it goes to Wolfsburg.
N/A

FDXmech

Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:56 am

I guess they don't sell many Japanese cars in Europe.
You're only as good as your last departure.

Superfly

Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:48 am

I had a German car given to me and it was a nice freebie. I eventually got rid of it and bought a real car,...an American car.  Smile

I will only buy American brand automobiles, mainly Ford/Mercury/Lincoln.
Bring back the Concorde

IMissPiedmont

Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:36 am

Yep, buy the Ford (made in Mexico or Canada) over th Toyota or Nissan (made in the US).

Of course I'd choose the Marauder no matter where it was built. Birthday hint here Superfly, 33 days and counting. I'll happily accept a used one.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:07 am

The resident forum US Car maniac anti-import user (filller) ME will now tackle some statements.

OK OK I would never ever ever ever EVER ever EVER buy an import that is less than a BMW 7 (older) or a MB 500, 600 or therewise.

I would NEVER buy anything asian. PERIOD.

Cars we had in US.

*Denotes still have it.

1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra--Dont remember much but the 3rd front seat was cool!
1992 Chrysler LeBaron--So so, not a bad car.
1994 Ford Aerostar XLT--Average, transmission problems
1997 Ford Aerostar Eddie Bauer*--140,000 MILES and still going no problems.
1997 Ford Thunderbird LX*--A solid V8.
1996 Chevy Impala SS* <----Rice eater. My car  Big thumbs up 5.7L V8 LT1
2002 GMC Yukon Denali XL*--Solid SUV, tows nicely and does its job such as haul firewood, furniture and anything else... plus it has 5 PTVs LOL
2002 Lincoln LS*--Nice car, though eats gas like crazy, even for american car
2002 GM Powered Freedom RV*--Pimp Bus...Great stuff though.

"I said no Germans because Germans build VW, Audi, BMW, MB, so, I don't think it's possible not to ne nationalist in that case!!!!!!!!! "

Or is it? Big grin

"Nationally conscious as I am, I decided to buy the Opel Corsa.
Later I found out that my Corsa was built in Zaragoza (Spain) - Ford Fiesta are built in Cologne (Germany)..."

The cash is in Detroit not in Germany LOL in BOTH cases.

"I was quite impressed with how well it drove, but unfortunately it was way underpowered. "

DUH  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

"The problem is that I prefer small cars, and with the exception of the Ford Focus, US manufacturers can't do small cars."

They dont because its not practical to make 100 diffrent kinds of geo metro class cars. Of course with exceptions with subsidary companies in Europe and Asia.

"I try to look at American brands first and then go to other dealerships. That's a fair and evenhanded way of buying cars."

Your a good citizen...what can I say?

"but I do know that VWs are reliable and reasonably priced,"

And I lay 5 golden eggs each morning after breakfast.

"I had a German car given to me and it was a nice freebie. I eventually got rid of it and bought a real car,...an American car. "

I know you are 100% sane.. Always have been with cars.

"Yep, buy the Ford (made in Mexico or Canada) over th Toyota or Nissan (made in the US)."

Ok thats a pretty dumb statement. Cars now are made everywhere and parts are made in diffrent places. Not all Toyotas and Nissans are built in the US and not all Fords in Mexico and Canada.....it all comes down to where they money goes..

Superfly

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:09 pm

IMissPiedmont:
The real Fords are still made in the United States.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

kolobokman

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:56 pm

I prefer Russian made vehicles!

-artiom
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

dragogoalie

Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:58 pm

Here's my take on cars:

European Cars: Luxurious, fast, and expensive

American Cars: Cheap in quality (except for gas), slow, and cheap

Asian (read Toyota, Honda/Acura, and Hyundai): The happy medium of both luxury, and price. A lot of them get some pretty good gas mileage.

I am a big fan of Japanese cars...they know exactly how to make a nice car that is affordable, and doesn't fall asleep. They also look really nice and aerodynamic. American cars are boxy, drink lots of gas, and are just slow. Example...my car in Japan is a 91 Toyota Supra. It has a 2.5L in-line 5. My friend here in ND has a Mercury Sable...yeah, I know, not exactly a sports car...but for a 3.8L 6cyl engine, you think it would have a little kick to it...it doesn't. Its slow in accelerating, and the speedometer only goes up to 85...granted my car does have twin turbo, but it could smoke the hell out of his. (don't tell him this though...He thinks his car is cool). European cars are great, they have awesome technology. I've spent a long time looking at ban's website looking at the kind of technology they have, but they're just too expensive..And for good reason.
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

9V-SVA

Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:26 pm

In my family's case, it goes along the money. We have had these cars over the years:-

79' Datsun 100A
83' Mazda 323
89' Hyundai Excel
98' Seat Ibiza
99' Nissan Sunny/Sentra
03' Nissan Prairie/Liberty(currently in service)

The two Nissan cars have been great, since Nissan is now owned by Renault. We just got the Prairie only 1 and a half weeks ago and it has proven its worth as a versatile MPV(been hauling loads of stuff with it)

If the price is cheap and it fulfills our requirement, we go for it! But no American cars for us, they guzzle fuel like crazy and have big engine displacements. But despite that, I've seen 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan LEs driving around Singapore.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

Skystar

Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:08 pm

Volvo being built from Ford parts?

Rubbish, utter rubbish. Whatever Ford content there is, is extremely insignificant.

Engines - Volvo
Suspension - Volvo
Safety - Volvo
Audio - Volvo (with Alpine & Mitsubishi)
Floorpans - Volvo (except the 40 Series, which is shared with Mitsubishi).

Where's the Ford componentry?

The only Volvo to have significant Ford influence will be the upcoming S40/V50, which will share the same floorpan as the next Ford Focus - hardly a bad thing, as Ford's resources allow Volvo to explore technologies which it couldn't explore alone. There'll still be all the traditional Volvo values such as safety and quality.

People really shouldn't talk rubbish - please check your facts first!

I'm not particularly nationalist with cars, but I'd acknowledge that Australian cars are amongst the best value in the world. Our family cars are very spacious, with modern technology, well equipped, durable, and well priced.

In spite of that, I'd rather be in a Volvo or a Peugeot. They're a thinking person's car, and that's fine by me.

Cheers

Justin

jimbobjoe

Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:46 pm

N312RC: I guess a "nationalist" car could be defined not by where the car is assembled or where the parts come from, but by where the money goes in the end. You may buy a VW Jetta made in Mexico, but the money you paid for it goes to Wolfsburg

I've heard this concept before, and I've put more thought into it, but I'm not entirely sure it makes all that much sense.

For instance, your Ohio built Honda Accord has no less than 75% of its parts with American origin, indeed, I think the current Accord hits 90%. Consider that a good percentage of the vehicle was also designed here in the United States, and so let's say that, 92% of the costs associated with building a Honda Accord have US origination. The other costs are from Japan...so the vast majority of the money spent buying a new Accord stays here in the United States...except for less than 10% to cover Japan origination costs, and then the profit of the vehicle goes to Japan. Therefore, it's a pretty piddling amount of money that actually goes to Japan, even if it's the actual profit of the vehicle. On the other hand, once these profits go to Japan...in whose pockets do they end up in? Probably Japanese investors...however, your GM and Ford has quite a lot of foreign investors, who make profit even if the cars were manufactured stateside.

DaimlerChrylser is a German company, and has more German investors than US ones.

Andreas

Cars From And In Germany

Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:41 pm

Actually, Germany is a rather peculiar car market, maybe the most nationalistic in the whole, but it is changing, especíally since the reunification days, when international manufacturers did a lot of marketing to sell their cars in the new part of Germany.
Furthermore some other country's manufacturers such as renault and Peugeot tried quite successfully to gain market share by undercutting German car prices.
Japanese cars always had their following because their reputation to be undestructable workhorses that never break down when you need your car is still proved every year by statistics!
As for the original question: No I'm not nationalistic when it comes to cars, I like to ride German cars, if it's a MB, a BMW or an Audi, but I wouldn't buy one, way too expensive!! In my life I've been driving German, French, Swedish and even English cars, and I don't see a reason why that should change!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

RayChuang

Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:10 am

I find it funny while everyone else thinks they have the best supermini in Europe, Honda sells the Honda Jazz, which has gotten a huge amount of plaudits for its excellent build, roomy and flexible interior, and excellent engine. British auto magazine reviewers have picked the Jazz over its European competition.

And it's very likely that the Jazz could be sold in the USA market, since the 1.5-liter version of the car more or less meets NHTSA safety standards and the engine meets the Euro 3 emission standard, which is pretty much the same as the ULEV standard here in the USA. There are rumors going around that Honda may show the Jazz at the upcoming Detroit International Auto Show in January 2003 to judge its possible acceptance by US customers.

Adam84

Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:28 am

I am all about Japanese cars. Because like someone above said, the domestic (US) carmakers dont make many cars that I can afford and want, namely economy cars.

Cavalier: Old as hell. Its pushing its 8th model year without a redesign (structurally that is). No Chevy, you cant call a new facia, tail and engine a "major redesign".

Neon: Great little car, but you cannot get them in coupe form anymore.

Focus: Very nice car. I will go as far to say it made a similar entrance as the Neon did back in 1995. Excellent handling, good power, controversial looks...but tons of problems.

Not to mention the resale value of american cars is down in the range of Kias and Hyundais. Which is exactly why I bought a first generation Dodge Neon coupe, it is cheap and fun as hell. But I have had a few problems with it in alittle over 3 weeks that I have had it.

srbmod

Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:01 am

I'm not nationalistic when it comes to buying a car, what it all boils down to is what can I afford. Here's a breakdown of all the cars I have owned:

1979 Buick Regal. Hand-me-down car from my parents. Ran great until I got into a wreck in it, and then it went downhill after we got it repaired.

1988 Dodge Lancer. Really was a step down for me. Went from a V-6 to a 4 cylinder, which took some getting used to. Had it for about a year, and then the engine blew up on me. Sold it to my uncle, who put in a new motor and is still driving it.

1990 Ford Taurus. Perhaps the worst car I ever owned. Bought it from a dodgy used car lot. I spent as much on getting it repaired in the two years I owned it as I paid for it. After that car, I swore off of Fords. I really didn't have much say in this one, my family was helping to pay for it, so I basically had to get what they wanted me to get. The car I really wanted was a 1988 Volvo 240 one of my friend's dad was offering to sell to me, but my family is really buy American.

1994 Nissan Sentra. Wasn't too bad of a car, unfortunately, I got screwed by the dealer on the price and that soured me on Nissan because of that one dealership. Only really had one problem with the car, but that problem was so expensive, I sold it to the mechanic who was fixing my car, and got what I am driving today.

1997 Chevy Lumina. Another car I didn't have too much input in getting. I really don't need a four door sedan, but it was the only car the dealership had in their used car lot that was in my price range and it had the least amount of miles on it. I really was wanting a small truck, but the only ones in my price range were little 4 cylinders, and I didn't want one with more than 40,000 miles. I've had my car for a little more than 2 years, and I've not had too many problems with it. Other than basic services (oil changes, tires, and brakes), I've only had to have one thing fixed, and that was on my air conditioning, and thankfully there's a mechanic in my family that charged me cost for the parts, because had I taken it elsewhere, it would have been several hundred dollars more expensive.

Several members of my family have switched to non-American brands and have been quite happy with them, in fact, they had less problems with Hondas, Mazdas and Volkswagens then they did with the domestic brands they owned before.

delta-flyer

Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:12 am

"I was quite impressed with how well it drove, but unfortunately it was way underpowered. " DUH

Perhaps a clarifiation is in order ..... The steering was responsive, the gear shift up and down was silky smooth, suspension/cornering just perfect -- only the acceleration was weak.

Pete

delta-flyer

Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:13 am

"I was quite impressed with how well it drove, but unfortunately it was way underpowered. " DUH

Perhaps a clarification is in order ..... The steering was responsive, the gear shift up and down was silky smooth, suspension/cornering just perfect -- only the acceleration was weak.

Pete

flight152

Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:36 am

We currently have a
2001 Olds Bravada (Will be eventually replaced with a Infiniti QX4, or something close to that)
1998 Volvo S90

We'll be keeping the Volvo and adding either a new Mercedes E320 or a BMW 540i.

BH346

Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:09 am

We have owned the following since we moved to America about 10 years ago:
1990ish Honda Civic LX Sedan - Can't remember the details but since we got another Honda down the road, I assume it was good.
1993 Chevy S-10 - POS. Ditched it quickly.
1994 Honda Accord LX Coupe - Wonderful, served us well for 8 years and 160,000 miles
2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe - Realized that we wanted something bigger although it was spacious for a small car. Some small problems. Rather expensive for a small car.
2002 Toyota Camry LE Sedan - Nearly perfect, haven't found any major faults with it yet. Quality is excellent.

My dad seems to refuse to buy anything American since that Chevy. We've been pleased with the quality and reliablility of the Japanese cars. My American relatives are completely different, they all drive American cars except for my grandparents who have a couple of Volvos which are awesome cars(but out of our price range).

Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Ilyushin96M

Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:33 am

My parents have driven Volvos since 1978, and have really enjoyed the cars themselves, but not so much the cost of maintaining them. They currently drive a 1991 744GL (Mum's car, with over 145,000 miles on it), and a 1989 244DL (Dad's car, just broke 100,000 miles). I think once the 740 bites the dust, Mum will get a Camry. But that's a ways off yet - she and Dad just sank over $2,000 into her 740 this summer for mechanical repairs! Ugh.

My first car was a 1982 Volvo 244GL. It was a great car, good on gas, solid, handled well, and was very comfortable. However, it was, as Volvos tend to be, VERY expensive to maintain, and I paid for everything on it myself. It was alot of work for a guy 18 - 23 years old to make the money that car needed to keep it running well. My second car was a 1993 Honda Accord EX Coupe. Also a great car - high quality, and fun to drive, with its 2.2 litre 16 valve four and five-speed manual transmission. And, MUCH cheaper to fix than the old Volvo. I now drive a 2001 Toyota RAV4, and would most likely stick to Japanese cars for their reliability, durability and high value-per-dollar. I think there is a good compromise with Japanese cars because they are cheaper to maintain, yet just as high in quality as many European brands. For the most part, you could not GIVE me an American car (GM, Ford, Chrysler). They just don't have the quality or longevity of imports.

So, I'm quite far from being nationalistic where my taste in cars is concerned.

LOT767-300ER

Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:03 am

Some of us have some car ISSUES on here.

"Example...my car in Japan is a 91 Toyota Supra. It has a 2.5L in-line 5. My friend here in ND has a Mercury Sable...yeah, I know, not exactly a sports car...but for a 3.8L 6cyl engine, you think it would have a little kick to it...it doesn't. Its slow in accelerating, and the speedometer only goes up to 85...granted my car does have twin turbo, but it could smoke the hell out of his."

Are you really that dense? Are you saying that a school bus with a bigger engine should be faster than a BMW with a smaller engine? The Mercury Sable isnt in the same class as the supra, wasent intended for the same thing, wasent marketed for the same driving....sheesh.

"For instance, your Ohio built Honda Accord has no less than 75% of its parts with American origin, indeed, I think the current Accord hits 90%. Consider that a good percentage of the vehicle was also designed here in the United States, and so let's say that, 92% of the costs associated with building a Honda Accord have US origination. The other costs are from Japan...so the vast majority of the money spent buying a new Accord stays here in the United States...except for less than 10% to cover Japan origination costs, and then the profit of the vehicle goes to Japan"

I can see your point. But there is a flaw in this theory. Why do car manufacturers built cars other than in their home country? PROFIT. If I took your theory I could say for example that most of the money stays in Mexico from the VW factory...which it dosent based on the simple fact that its cheaper to make them there and more profit goes back home.

"And it's very likely that the Jazz could be sold in the USA market, since the 1.5-liter version of the car more or less meets NHTSA safety standards and the engine meets the Euro 3 emission standard, "

I dont want to be laughed at on the local stoplight by someone who is driving a Cavalier LOL.

"Because like someone above said, the domestic (US) carmakers dont make many cars that I can afford and want, namely economy cars."

Save some money and buy a real car.

"My parents have driven Volvos since 1978, and have really enjoyed the cars themselves, but not so much the cost of maintaining them. They currently drive a 1991 744GL (Mum's car, with over 145,000 miles on it), and a 1989 244DL (Dad's car, just broke 100,000 miles). I think once the 740 bites the dust, Mum will get a Camry. But that's a ways off yet - she and Dad just sank over $2,000 into her 740 this summer for mechanical repairs! Ugh."

Your parents are one of those people who keep a Volvo forever with scratched paint, ketchup on the ceiling and are proud of it...am I wrong? If so then they are the other kind....the kind that missed the word NEW on their spelling tests in 2nd grade...OK that was a bit harsh...but a 1989 and a 1991 Volvo isnt just my vision of a nice car...(filler)

"2001 Toyota RAV4, and would most likely stick to Japanese cars for their reliability, durability and high value-per-dollar."

You get what you pay for. The RAV4 is a cheap wannabe SUV that appeals to younger students and dumb i-dont-know-jack-about-cars women that I-want-to-be-economic ...and dont even TELL me a Rav4 is durable....Dont even go there.

Survey Says...

Get your pretty behind out of your pretty boy Lexus and step into something that dosent blow rice and can take your neighbor rice boy to school.

N312RC

Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:41 am

Jimbojoe,

I dont entirely agree with your take on things. During the automotive "dark ages" (late seventies/early eighties), Ford of Europe basically kept the Ford Motor Company as a whole, running. Sales in the North American Car market were SO bad during this time... Ford Europe was generating around 50-55 percent of Ford's total revenue... If it wasnt for Ford Europe, the main Ford Motor Company would be have been in deeeeeeep crap.

In response to those who say that cars arent shared across companies. Take Volvo for example.. Look what happened after Ford bought them, they TOTALLY abandoned their styling and went radical. How about Jaguar? You cant deny that the X-type is a gussied up Ford Mondeo. How about the New Saab 9-3? That car's built on General Motors "Epsilon" platform that will be shared with the Chevy Malibu. You CANNOT say that a VW and an Audi dont share parts, or Mazda and Ford are separate alltogether. Its a simple matter of costs, to share and put different sheet metal is waaaaaaaaay cheaper than many different platforms.
N/A

LOT767-300ER

Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:22 pm

IL96M-BH346 told me that i was being too mean. He says just because i dont like something i dont have to put it down...im sorry.  Smile No hard feelings...

There you happy Brandon

jimbobjoe

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:53 pm

LOT767-300ER: I can see your point. But there is a flaw in this theory. Why do car manufacturers built cars other than in their home country? PROFIT. If I took your theory I could say for example that most of the money stays in Mexico from the VW factory...which it dosent based on the simple fact that its cheaper to make them there and more profit goes back home.

So let's say that Honda makes $1000 more *profit* on each Accord by building them stateside. They probably can't make more than $4-5000 of profit per $24,000 Accord. More profit is going home simply because more profit is made, but a huge amount of the revenue is staying here, and that makes a bigger portion of the actual money you'll spend on the car. Even on your very profitable SUV's...where GM or Ford may make $10,000 on a $35-$45 SUV, that's less than 1/3 of the entire amount the customer spends on the vehicle. (And why we find a drop in SUV sales so damaging to the US car companies--GM doesn't make money on small cars like the Cavalier...which is why the car line will be discontinued.)

N312RC: Ford of Europe...fits exactly into what I said. Ford of Europe was very profitable...and sent profits back home to the US. However, Ford of Europe vehicles are specially made for Europeans in Europe and tend to have few US parts...the vast majority a European would spend on a Ford of Europe car would stay in Europe. Even if 55% of Fords revenues were coming from Europe, they probably got 50% of their Accounts Payable out there too. (Accounts payable...money ya owe to peeps...that's right isn't it? Oh man...I wish i took an accounting class.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

rabenschlag

Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:01 pm

being nationalistic would mean:

* there is a car that optimally fits my needs, but it's built overseas.
* i do not by the optimal, but the secondbest (or even worse) homegrown car

i hardly can believe that such behavior occurs. that would be quite irraitonal, wouldnt it?

Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:20 pm

Rabenschlag, humans have a history of being extremely irrational, nothing new, as I'm sure you already know.  Big grin

Skystar

Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:23 pm

What are the tariffs on imported cars in the USA and other countries?

In Australia, they're at 15%.
Malaysia has 300% on some cars.

Cheers,

Justin

Ilyushin96M

Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:51 am

LOT, why is it every time someone disagrees with you, you end up having to bash them? I don't agree with you on your automotive preferences, but I don't see the need to bash the hell out of you for it. Of course, that might have to do with a difference in our levels of maturity... And, with regards to your comments about my parents, I'll only say that they were rude and unnecessary. The only thing you get out of being that way is that you show people what you are all about. Good work, man.

FYI, my parents' Volvos are in BEAUTIFUL condition. Just because they don't see the need to go wastefully spending money left and right on new cars every three to five years (which they would undoubtedly HAVE to do if they chose to buy American), doesn't mean their cars aren't in superb mechanical and cosmetic shape. I should take pictures of both autos and post them on here to prove my point. The dark metallic blue paint on my mum's 740 is glossy and relatively free of scratches, and the grey leather seats have virtually no creases that shouldn't be there. Dad's 240 may have a dent in the right rear door (caused by a post he didn't realise he was too close to), but the car is otherwise in excellent shape. The cosmetic condition is thanks to the loving care with which I detail their cars regularly, no doubt. Truth is, Volvos hold up remarkably well, if taken care of the way my folks and I do.

Lastly, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I know plenty about cars - I've been an auto enthusiast for decades, literally. Also, my opinions are not laced with one-sided, nasty, immature comments. I highly doubt you have any real useful information to back up what you say about my RAV. Again, no offense taken here...you're just being who you are.

LOT767-300ER

Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:33 am

"LOT, why is it every time someone disagrees with you, you end up having to bash them? I don't agree with you on your automotive preferences, but I don't see the need to bash the hell out of you for it. Of course, that might have to do with a difference in our levels of maturity... And, with regards to your comments about my parents, I'll only say that they were rude and unnecessary. The only thing you get out of being that way is that you show people what you are all about. Good work, man."

Your right...as I admit it was too harsh. I was being an A$$

"IL96M-BH346 told me that i was being too mean. He says just because i dont like something i dont have to put it down...im sorry. No hard feelings..."

Brandon had to remind me too. " I'll only say that they were rude and unnecessary." <----Dont even ask what i was thinking. I know why your ticked off.

I hope your not going to be pissed off at me forever. I do appreciate your input on the car threads even though it may not seem like it  Smile

jimbobjoe

Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:24 pm

Skystar:What are the tariffs on imported cars in the USA

The United States does not have a tariff on imported motor vehicles.

I believe that there has been a time during which tariffs on Japanese vehicles were proposed, and that those tariffs would kick in after x amount of vehicles were imported. However, the Japanese auto makers took some initiative, built cars here, and that's just not an issue now.

The US does have tariffs on some things, like the current steel tariff, but they're pretty unusual and often are temporary measures.

Alessandro

Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:08 am

Skystar, the thing that makes odd cars expensive in the US is the crash testing and remodifications.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

delta-flyer

Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:34 am

Alessandro .... that's correct, restrictions on car imports have to do with safety requirements. Many people argue (mistakenly, in my opinion) that these requirements are just an excuse to keep competition out, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Anyone interested in trade data can visit http://censtats.census.gov/sitc/sitc.shtml where US import and export data is provided for different commodities arranged by country. For motor vehicles, the STTC code is 78x -- 781 through 786.

Pete