artsyman

Kenya Refuses To Let Israel See Evidence

Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:34 am

Kenya is refusing to let Israel or the USA have access, or get involved with the investigations into the recent attacks. The US and Israel do not feel Kenya is in a position to do a proper investigation. I tend to think this is more a publicity issue, and I personally agree that Kenya probably don't have the tools to do a thorough investigation...

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) - Kenya will not heed Israeli demands to turn over some evidence in the attacks on an Israeli-owned hotel and an Israeli jetliner, saying Sunday it would conduct the probe alone. The Israeli defense minister said al-Qaida was the main suspect in the attacks.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20021201/ap_on_re_af/kenya_israel_attacks_5

IndianGuy

RE: Kenya Refuses To Let Israel See Evidence

Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:54 am

While it is important to investigate into the dastardly incidents against Israeli targets, Kenyan sovereignity must also be respected.

I think Israel should offer outside assistance to the Kenyans in conducting this investigation, but overall authroity must rest with the Kenyans.

-Roy

Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:59 am

another sh*tty little country placing vain pride over saving lives.

whose surprised?

Rai

Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:04 pm

Actually, I sort of agree with Roy here. Let the Kenyans try to figure it out. Indonesia is heading their own investigations into the Bali bombings, but they are allowing others to assist them and they're making good progress as a result. If the Kenyans feel they can handle it themselves, let them. If the governments who want to assist have a problem with it and aren't confident with Kenya's handling of the investigation, then tell the citizens to avoid into Kenya.

delta-flyer

Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:27 pm

It's obvious why Kenya wants to keep Israel out -- they are afraid of further reprisals by the Muslim terrorists. It has nothing to do with sovereignty -- allies routinely share evidence of criminal activity.

Kenya has been one of the few allies Israel has in Africa, which not only explains the Israeli tourism presence there, but also the US embassy bombing in Nairobi and now this. Kenya has a fine line to tow between holding on to Israeli business and appeasing the terrorists.

One thing is for sure, though -- Israel will get this information regardless, and will take care of the terrorists whether the US likes it or not.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

TWAL1011

Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:40 pm

How much steam can the pressure cooker take before the top blows off?

God help those who are nearby when it does.

It's gonna get ugly soon.

yyz717

Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:50 pm

I keep thinking about what Israel's response would have been had the 753 crashed and killed all 270 aboard. It could easily have started a regional war.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

TWAL1011

Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:53 pm

Good point, Yyz717.

Like I said, there'll only be only so much that will be accepted before the gloves come off...other countries be damned.

artsyman

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:20 pm

I keep thinking about what Israel's response would have been had the 753 crashed and killed all 270 aboard. It could easily have started a regional war.

I think the response should be the same, as far as I am concerned a new line was crossed with that attack, and just because it failed (as far as the airliner goes), they tried, and to me that is as bad as them succeeding

Jeremy

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:26 pm

I totally agree with Roy on this one. It's a jurisdicitonal thing: it happened on Kenya's turf, it's their investigation. If they want help from the U.S. or Israel, they need to ask, Israel cannot DEMAND that they be allowed to assist or see any of the evidence.

And Twaneedsnohelp, it has nothing to do with Kenya being a "shitty little country placing pride over saving lives." That's just bitching about this because Israeli's were involved. Kenya's soverignty has to be respected here, just as Israel would want theirs to be respected.

Let Kenya run with it. If they need help, they'll ask.

TWAL1011

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:33 pm

And Twaneedsnohelp, it has nothing to do with Kenya being a "shitty little country placing pride over saving lives." That's just bitching about this because Israeli's were involved. Kenya's soverignty has to be respected here, just as Israel would want theirs to be respected.

Let Kenya run with it. If they need help, they'll ask.

Hate to differ with ya on this one, Alpha, but bullcrap.

This has everything to do with Israel. Israeli citizens were the victim here.

JAL 123 was all about Japanese citizens, but it was Boeing's plane.

This isn't a turf war.

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:41 pm

Hate to differ with ya on this one, Alpha, but bullcrap.

This has everything to do with Israel. Israeli citizens were the victim here.

Bullshit or not, it happened on Kenyan territory, and they have EVERY RIGHT to run with the investigation as they see fit. There were more Kenyans killed in the attack (10) than there were Israelis (3), so why should Israel be granted any jurisdiction unless Kenya requests their help.

I am a staunch supporter of Israel, but when you see arrogants comments like these, demanding Israel something it isn't rightfully entitled to, it's one reason why many people have a problem with Israel.

TWAL1011

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:47 pm

Fair enough, Alpha.

But one of our Thanksgiving guests was a balloon pilot who recently retired from Kenya. Truth is, the Kenyans don't like us. They don't like the Israelis. But they do like our money.

Let the Kenyans run with their investigation.

yyz717

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:50 pm

Kenya may want to run the investigation, but they need to be mindful that Israeli investment in their economy could quickly stop if they don't produce results asap.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Marco

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:51 pm

TWAL1011,

The Kenyans don't really have anything against the USA/Israel.

Also, I agree with Alpha 1, Kenya's sovreignty must be protected, it happened on their turf. I'm sure mutual cooperation would be appreicated, but dictating what to do and what not to do, won't be appreciated.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

TWAL1011

Mon Dec 02, 2002 1:54 pm

The Kenyans don't really have anything against the USA/Israel.

Damn that friend of mine. He's a damned liar.

Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:00 pm

This happened in Kenya and is such Kenyan territory and Kenyan authority takes precedence. If Kenya need assistance or help they will ask for it; they have more to lose in this case than either Israel or America.

Although this might not be visible in the photo above, the byline for the photo reads:

Local, Israeli and American police and military forensic experts were still busy poring through rubble and debris at the bombed out Mombasa Paradise Hotel searching for clues that may help them zero in on the perpetrators of Thursday’s terrorist atrocity which left 16 people dead.

Whats this about Israelis? I was of the understanding, particularly from some posts above my own, that the Kenyans were allowing any Israeli involvement? Then why are there Israeli "police and military forensic experts" in Mombasa? Especially seeing as Kenya is not co-operating with Israel?

TWAL1011

Does your Kenyan friend speak for all Kenyan citizens? I doubt he would, so maybe he speaks only for himself?

TNNH

You are one very very sad individual. I have not yet seen on these forums anywhere were you have praised any other country apart from Israel or America. I can only mirror what Alpha 1 has said to you, except Kenya is far from a "shitty" country. When was the last time you were there to be able to make a comment such as that? Oh that's right, I forgot, you have never been there.

ILOVEA340

Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:49 pm

Its an incedent on Kenyan soil so it their choice. What would the US have said if Iraq had wanted to investigate 9-11 as I am pretty sure at least one iraqi national died in that attack.

tbar220

Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:23 pm

If the Kenyans were serious about getting rid of terrorism, and solving this problem, they would not even think twice of giving the Israelis this information. If they are interested in finding this out, they will accept what help they can get for the superior criminal investigators in outside countries and not turn it into an issue. Furthermore, an Israeli jet was targeted and the authorities wont turn over parts of the rocket launcher. An Israeli owned hotel was destroyed and they wont turn over fragments of the bomb.

Now tell me why Israel doesn't have every right to be fully involved in this investigation. This is completely stupid in my opinion. Israeli civilians were attacked, so Israel has every right to investigate this, and since this involves terrorism, they should not be hindered in any way. What does Kenya gain by blocking their further involvement?
NO URLS in signature

manni

Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:49 pm

Perhaps Kenya wont let the Israellis involved into the investigation because they do not like the let's help this 'shitty little country' attitude of them.

BTW, Kenya is atleast 20 times bigger than Israel so I would not call it a little country. And where is the shitty based upon?
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

tbar220

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:02 pm

Manni,

I'm sure as an ally, Israel does not treat Kenya with this attitude. Perhaps TNNH may have this view, but that does not reflect on the Israeli government. Besides, what does this have to do with helping to solve terrorism? Terrorists in Kenya almost brought down an Israeli airliner, and the government isn't fully cooperating with the investigation? Unbelievable.
NO URLS in signature

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:07 pm

And again might I add, we see people referring to only to Yankee or Israeli media sources for their news. From

http://www.nationaudio.com/News/DailyNation/Today/News/mainNews021220020b.html

Two fragments of the car bomb which left 15 people dead at the Paradise Hotel were yesterday recovered by police...........The fragments were taken away by Israeli bomb experts, who are in Kenya working with local investigators........"

Hmm...Israeli bomb experts taking fragments? Hmm...the Kenyans are not co-operating?

With this news as far as I am concerned, this entire thread has turned around to the very opposite of what some people are claiming and trying to portray.

tbar220

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:14 pm

Aviatsiya,

Could you please shot a little more respect? No need to use derogatory names, really makes you look foolish.
NO URLS in signature

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:30 pm

Excuse me Tbar? I mention "Yankee" because that is what Americans are called down here. But of course, I don't see you lamblasting TNNH for his use of "shitty country".

And by the way, Yankee is not a derogatory word.

gkirk

Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:12 pm

Everyone uses the word "Yankees".
Yes, it should be Kenya who conducts the investigation, however, perhaps Israel should be allowed to help out in anyway they can.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Alpha 1

Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:55 pm

If the Kenyans were serious about getting rid of terrorism, and solving this problem, they would not even think twice of giving the Israelis this information.

Again, that's arrogant presumption. For God's sake, let the Kenyans get a handle on a crime that killed more Kenyas than Israeli's. If the roles were reversed, and Kenya had asked for the information, the same voices would be screaming bloody murder at Kenyan interference.

As someone told me last night, you can bet, that, behind the scenes, the U.S. and Israel are probably giving assistance, but again-it is up to the Kenyans to decide that, not Israel.

Now tell me why Israel doesn't have every right to be fully involved in this investigation. This is completely stupid in my opinion. Israeli civilians were attacked..

BECAUSE IT HAPPENED ON KENYAN TERRITORY. MORE KENYANS THAN ISRAELIS WERE KILLED. BUTT OUT!!!!!!!!

Hepkat

Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:16 pm

I agree with Alpha1. Statements such

If the Kenyans were serious about getting rid of terrorism, and solving this problem, they would not even think twice of giving the Israelis this information

are incredibly arrogant. Were the roles reversed, would the U.S. allow some other country to dictate how it should investigate a terrorist incident committed on its own soil? Would Israel?

Kenya might not be a first world country and might lack the technical expertise to carry out a meaningful investigation, but that in no way makes them a "shitty" country as someone so elegantly puts it. Such statements drive home the arrogant point that only first world countries count, which in the grand scheme of things cannot be true.

I'm sure the Kenyans will ask for assistance if it becomes clear that they cannot handle the situation. Let's not forget that 10 of their own citizens were lost, and the entire world is watching to see how well this situation will be handled, so it's within their best interest to see this investigation carried out as thoroughly as possible, even if this means accepting assistance from the Americans and Israelis.

Statements such as what I saw earlier on CNN, "the Israeli's are demanding custody of the evidence gathered so far", are entirely inappropriate and only serves to further bolster resentment of the Jewish state.

Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:56 pm

Here is a resport from the East African Standard.

http://www.eastandard.net/headlines/news010.htm

Unfortunately, there are people on these forums who could care less about people from a "shitty little country" being killed.

Care to show me the report from an Israeli newspaper about this story? There won't be any. I'll put money on it!

The audacity of some people ticks me off to no end.

Alpha 1. You can scrub the comment about more Kenyans being killed than Israelis. The first sentence is more than enough. But again, some people here just don't get it.

Hepkat. As far as I am concerned, your last sentence also holds true in regards to comments made on these forums by some people (not mentioning any names as it is crystal clear who they are).

I'll Take Back My Words....

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:00 pm

in relation to there being nothing on the 3 family members being killed in the Israeli press, because I found this:

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=236623&contrassID=2&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

British tourists put up $230 to release the bodies of three Kenyans killed in the terror attack at Mombasa's Paradise Hotel Thursday.

Families of the three could not afford to pay for removing the bodies from the local hospital morgue for burial, but when the tourists heard their plight, they paid the morgue the requested amount.

According to the families, the Israeli owners of the hotel owed back pay to the three, who earned their living as part of a dance troupe that performed for hotel tourists. A lawyer for the hotel owners, however, said that all wages had been paid. "Although it is not the responsibility of the hotel owners to take care of the families," he said the owner will travel to Kenya and meet with authorities to discuss how to help former hotel workers who are now unemployed.

The families of the three said they were abandoned by Kenyan authorities as well as the hotel owners, and they are angry at the local hospital's management for its indifference.

TWAL1011

Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:49 pm

Aviatsiya, my balloon pilot friend is an American. I apologize for not clairifying that.

So no, he does not speak for all Kenyans. He does speak as an American who experienced precisely what I said earlier.

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:01 am

TWA L1011

No worries on that. I really do find it hard to digest when people say "People from NationX hate people from NationY. I know this, because of my own experience".

The reason I have a problem with this is because maybe they met people on one of their "off" days.

Or maybe, with respect to your friend, your friend is an arsehole. And the people don't hate all Americans, but just him.

My experience from when I was in Kenya, was that for the most part the Kenyan people like foreigners, no matter where they were from. And they liked them even more, of course, if they had money to spend  Laugh out loud

TWAL1011

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:31 am

Hmmm...

Lemme ask him if he was an a-hole while he was over there.

I'll get back to you later.

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:53 am

another sh*tty little country placing vain pride over saving lives.

Shame on you for making such a comment.
In Arsene we trust!!

tbar220

Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:41 am

Hepkat and Alpha1,

I still disagree with you here. This is not arrogant of me to make such statements. An Israeli airliner was almost shot down over Kenyan airspace. It could have meant 270 dead. This is just as bad as if it would have been shot down. So in my view, the government should comply with the Israeli investigation wishes. In this case, turn over the cases and fragments of the rocket launchers for Israeli forensics experts and investigative experts to look through. What does this have to do with sovereignity?

You say stuff like "Let Kenya deal with it, it was on their soil." Well in the world of terrorism, attacks don't differentiate race and where they take place means very little anymore. How arrogant would it have been for the U.S. to say that it would accept no help investigating 9-11?

I'll reiterate this again. An Israeli plane was almost shot down, an Israeli hotel was bombed, so now you tell me why Israel doesn't have the right to have the fragments of the rocket launcher and the fragments of the explosives? The Israeli investigative teams are more technologically advanced and will able to assist the investigation into the killing of the Kenyans and their own citizens. Just because more Kenyans were killed than Israelis doesn't mean anything. This isn't some sort of tally where you can say "Well, we'll let the Israeli government get involved only when the Israeli death toll gets higher."

This isn't a question of Israel dictating how the investigation should be conducted. This is simply a question of Kenyans withholding some evidence from Israeli investigative teams, and to me this is unacceptable, considering that it was pretty obviously an attack on Israelis.
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:45 am

Aviatsiya,

My apologies, I didn't know that the term was commonly used.
NO URLS in signature

artsyman

Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:47 am

My only fear here is that Kenya does not have the same resources to track down information as does the US or Israel etc. For example, Israel and US wanted to track the manufacturer numbers on the rockets to follow the path of who bought them, what countries used them, etc. While Kenya is a country in their own right, they do not have the same powers of influence, access and quality as do many western countries.

Be honest with yourself, are some of you trying to Suggest that Kenya has the same resources as the US ?

Jeremy

Hepkat

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:13 am

No one is suggesting that Kenya has the technical expertise, or "influence" to properly solve this case. However, as far as the international protocol on crime investigations go, crimes committed on Kenyan soil are investigated by Kenyan authorities, unless those crimes are deemed crimes against humanity.

That being said, one would hope that the Kenyans are wise enough to seek the assistance of more experienced authorities should they find themselves becoming overwhelmed.

artsyman

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:15 am

Hepkat, I agree, I am just hoping that they actually do seek the assistance. I do not question their intent, just their means

Jeremy

khi747

Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:38 am

It is precisely the attitude exhibited by Twaneedsnohelp that unfortunately wins America so many enemies from the world over....he is one naive and sorry individual who thinks he knows everything...i think if all the people in America like him were sent to that prison in Cuba.....America would have much less to worry about i think

yyz717

Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:44 am

i think if all the people in America like him were sent to that prison in Cuba

Well, there are 3000 Americans who could not be sent to that Cuban prison, because they were slaughtered on 9-11. The US should be commended for its measured response to 9-11. Not many countries would have been so diplomatic with 3000 dead.

I can only imagine the response in that impoverished hell-hole Karachi if 3000 Pakistanis were slaughtered by terrorists..........

elal106

Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:34 am

KHI747, i think you should think twice before calling anyone a "racist extremlist" before you question your own country of origin - Pakistan.

Regarding the evidence, Israel has nothing to worry about once the US pressures the kenyan government, and one other thing *Money Talks*...send a few millions and they will bend over for you in any way.

Kenya is not deemed a "shitty little country" by Israel. Many israelis do business there and both governments are in a "good" relationship. For those who did not know, Israel has taken 2 very seriously wounded Kenyans back to Israel for medical treatment.

Alpha 1

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:38 pm

An Israeli airliner was almost shot down over Kenyan airspace. It could have meant 270 dead. This is just as bad as if it would have been shot down.

Had it been shot down, then I think Israel has a case to get very much involved. But it didn't, and no one on board was injured. Israel has the plane, the black box, etc, and can get that information-it's in their jurisdiction. But the fact remains, Israel has no right to demand access if Kenya doesn't grant it, simply because a plane was "almost" shot down. It still is up to Kenya, not Israel.

So in my view, the government should comply with the Israeli investigation wishes.

Wrong!! Israel cannot and should not dictate to a soverign nation how they should run an investigation of a crime on their soil! That is publically saying "you don't know what the hell you're doing, so move aside, and let us do the job for you." That's arrogant presumption for anyone to suggest that.

artsyman

Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:59 pm

Who are you, and what have you done with Alpha 1?

Jeremy

khi747

Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:17 pm

Oh trust me Elal106 i have thought MUCH more then Twice before calling Yyz717 what i did.....his track record clearly proves what i said. But you were trying to make some point about Pakistan and that i should question something......can you please be clear what exactly you meant?

Alpha 1

Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:26 pm

Artsyman, I like your humor, but on a serious not, I've always maintained that, while I support Israel, they can be a royal pain in the ass sometime. I don't support them with blinders on, as some do, and as some support the terrorists (in my view) on the other side.

TWAL1011

Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:23 pm

TNNH and Yyz717, I agree with you guys 99.95% of the time, but your comments here are not exactly positive or productive.

Hepkat, untie Alpha 1 and let him get back to his computer.  Smile

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:23 pm

But the fact remains, Israel has no right to demand access if Kenya doesn't grant it, simply because a plane was "almost" shot down. It still is up to Kenya, not Israel.

Alpha, I agree. Of course its up to Kenya, it is their country afterall. Having said that - now its time for Kenya to politely step aside and let the US and Israel - two countries with a much more experienced and succesful background in fighting and destroying terrorism to run and conduct the investigation.

Why aren't they? What are they worried about? Not allowing more knowledgable and experienced investigators investigate a crime is irresponsible and dangerous. Thats why I said Kenya was acting like "vain shitty little country". It's irresponsible behavior marred by self-effacing pride.

Best,
TNNH

tbar220

Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:12 pm

Alpha 1,

What does Kenya have to lose by giving Israel the bomb fragments from the jeep and the rocket casings? Nothing. Israel is not dictating the investigation, they are cooperating with Kenyan authorities into this investigation.

Once again, if Kenya was completely serious about getting as thorough an investigation as possible, they would give these bomb fragments and rocket casings to Israeli authorities to investigate. This isn't about Kenya giving up sovereignity, and its not about Israel taking over the investigation. This is about Israel needing to find out who tried to kill hundreds of its civilians, and how exactly it was done. And I can assure you that Israeli forensics experts and bomb experts are more advanced than the Kenyans. Doesn't make them superior, but it sure makes them able to conduct a more thorough investigation. Israeli bomb experts have been working on this stuff (suicide bombings, car bombings, etc.) for many years, so I just don't understand what Kenya has to gain from keeping this from them.

Kenya lost 12 of its citizens during this attack. If Israeli authorities can help figure out what caused their deaths, what does the Kenyan government have to lose? If they have nothing to lose, and a whole lot to gain, why not? I hope you can at least see that much Alpha 1.

Now if Israel tried to completely conduct this investigation on their own and control the investigation, I would be against that. That's kind of like the frustration local police forces have when the FBI barges in and takes over an investigation. But in the incident in Kenya, its not the case.
NO URLS in signature

Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:23 pm

Yyz717

There were way less than 3,000 Americans killed on 11/9/2001. Did you guys see afterwards the governments of Australia, India, Russia, England, Bangladesh, Germany, France, Spain, etc, etc all demand that they take over the investigations because some of their countrymen and women were killed? Did the Australian government demand that they take over the investigation

Artsyman

If the Israelis want to look at the rockets to get numbers from them, then let them do so on Kenyan soil. What happens when the evidence goes back to Israel and gets tampered with? You don't know, it could happen.

Twaneedsnohelp

OK, the Kenyans turn over the investigation to the Americans and Israelis. What next? American-Israeli Airlines (with a byline underneath..."The airline formerly known as Kenya Airways) - because we know the Americans and Israelis are better able and equipped to run an airline. Or the Kenyan flag over the parliamnent in Nairobi is lowered in a sombre ceremony and the American and Israeli flags are raised in its place - because we know the Americans and Israelis are better at running a government. As much as some people in these forums would love this to actually happen, it is exactly this what Kenya is protecting themselves against - their sovereignty.

Also, I doubt that the Israelis and the Americans have the knowledge required of the many ethnic and tribal lines, which would be needed to get to talk and open up and provide hard evidence.

Plus I don't see anywhere in the media where the American and Israelis are calling for the Kenyans to turn the investigations over to them, but only on these forums. Why is that?

Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:34 pm

Did you guys see afterwards the governments of Australia, India, Russia, England, Bangladesh, Germany, France, Spain, etc, etc all demand that they take over the investigations because some of their countrymen and women were killed?

there was never a question that the world's richest and most powerful country was capable of properly conducting the investigation. duh.