fpdonald

Dialing Long Distance - Best Rates/Surcharge?

Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:14 am

USA . . . but feel free to discuss your own country!

Has anyone done the research on which is the cheapest company to use from your home telephone? I almost signed up for IDT, and equally almost missed their monthly surcharge. I'm an infrequent user, and don't mind paying more per minute for faxes, brief calls, etc., but loath that monthly fee either flat rate or not meeting the usage.

Anyone else frugal out there?

Stretch 8

RE: Dialing Long Distance - Best Rates/Surcharge?

Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:12 pm

At my house, we have used AT&T, Sprint, and MCI over the years. I am now convinced that your best bet is to use pre-paid phone cards with anywhere from 500 to 2,000 pre-paid minutes. You can get the best deal on these at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. They are issued by AT&T, and wind up costing about 4 cents per minute. Yes, you have to dial an 800 access number, then enter your card number. But you can recharge the card over the phone, and call just about anywherein the U.S. or W. Europe. Try it!
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

flyingbronco05

Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:32 am

I just use a calling card from Sam's Club. I think it's like 4 cents a minute or something like that anytime.

I think that is a good deal.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

trickijedi

Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:24 am

Comparatively speaking, the big three long distance companies are pretty much the same in terms of rates. For instance, if you call Sprint and tell them your long-distance needs, they should be able to get you a rate. If you call AT&T right after and tell them what price Sprint gave you, chances are AT&T has a similar plan. It's the other factors that will probably influence your decision on which long-distance carrier you should go with (ie. airline miles, quality, cost of owning their phone card, customer service, etc.).

If you are the type who makes a lot of long distance phone calls from home, allow me to make a suggestion: Sign up for a cell phone that has free long distance or has nationwide rates. You will save yourself lotsa money because you will not be paying them by the minute. For instance, I use T-Mobile as my cell phone provider... but I also use them as my long distance carrier. If I need to make a LD call, I just use my cell phone. I get free nights and weekends so I usually call everyone I know in the country on the weekends all day long and pay the same price every month.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!