The Finalist Designs For The WTC

Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:50 am

After the first group of WTC designs were derided as boring and overstuffed with office space, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation held a second round of proposals. Some of the nine new proposals from 7 design teams are shown below:

A proposal by Richard Meier & Partners Architects, Eisenman Architects, Gwathmey Siegel & Associates and Steven Holl Architects:

Studio Daniel Libeskind:

United Architechts

Foster and Partners:

TNNH

CPH-R

RE: The Finalist Designs For The WTC

Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:54 am

Geez

I have to say that number one looks best by far. The second looks too abstract, and the third one looks too unstable IMHO.

blink182

Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:58 am

I don't particularly like any of them by any means, if I had to chose one though, It would probably be Norman Foster's design.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

EGGD

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:17 am

no.1 looks like the potato waffles I am eating.

no.2 looks like the phantom zone off Superman/girl.

no.3.......

no.4 looks way way way too big.

etc.

ugly, crap designs.

ugh.

tbar220

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:21 am

This isn't for real is it? They're all so ugly  Sad What happened to simple architecture? They all look like toddler playing blocks gone wrong.
NO URLS in signature

777236ER

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:29 am

Number 1 looks like Connect 4
Number 2 looks like Superman's ice home
Number 3 is just wrong
Number 4 looks like the legs of a giant man.

Um no. No better architects out there? Simple = good, guys.
Your bone's got a little machine

heavymetal

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:34 am

The Times went off today about how every champion of 'contemporary architecture' was angling to do this design. The said it could be the biggest 'contemporary' design since the UN Building.

Considering the UN Building is atrocious, that's not saying much.

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:39 am

Theres more guys...

Peterson/Littenberg Architecture and Urban Design LLP:

the architectural firm THINK:

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (includes a train station)

------------------

I like em! I like them a lot. I think they are infused with creativity, beauty, and courage. Beautiful, breathtaking designs. NYC has plenty of "simple" buildings. The WTC should be the city's standout, over-the-top architechtural masterpiece. The first round designs from SOM were "simple" and people hated them. I like these a lot.

TNNH

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:41 am

I like the UN Building! It is a classy design from a different era.

tnnh

777236ER

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:42 am

I think they are infused with creativity, beauty, and courage

How can you infuse something with courage? It's still just a building.
Your bone's got a little machine

todaReisinger

Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:55 am

There is only ONE solution which would restore New York's unique skyline: to rebuild the Twin Towers as they were, but with today's technological means.

In the months after the tragedy, it was written in the newspapers that the office spaces were too important in the former WTC; it was also said that the new buikdings wouldn't be as high as the Twin Towers.

But all these concerns have obviously disappeard: the newest designs are for even higher skyscrapers and offer at least as many office areas as the previous center.
In this case, I really feel that the towers should be rebuilt just as they were; for 3 decades they had given to New York its unique, breathtaking and distinctive skyline. They were among the world's most beautiful buildings, and a strong illustration of the city's dynamism.

All the final designs presented are terribly disappointing, some of them are even horrible and would simply disfigure Manhattan.

Many destroyed historic buildings have been re-built throughout history; the example of post-WW2 Europe should inspire the city of New York: cathedrals and entire cities have been rebuilt at the identical all over the continent (one example is the British Parliament).
I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)

AC320

Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:05 am

-Richard Meier & Partners Architects: Looks like a giant #. No way.

-Studio Daniel Libeskind: looks like they never cleaned up Ground Zero

-United Architechts: Salvador Dali could come up with something more realistic

-Foster and Partners: striking, modern, gives me the same sense of awe from seeing the original towers. Merits further consideration

-Peterson/Littenberg Architecture and Urban Design LLP: too many different elements. Uninspired

-the architectural firm THINK: interesting concept, appears to be a memorial/sculpture rather than office space. Don't think it will work

-Skidmore, Owings & Merrill: interior looks very impressive. Could use better exterior shots, but from what we have, I say make the towers taller, and we might have something to really consider there

fuddle duddle

EGGD

Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:19 am

I really like the design of the THINK building, but where are the offices???

hmm...

There is only ONE solution which would restore New York's unique skyline: to rebuild the Twin Towers as they were, but with today's technological means.

I totally agree, I feel that would be the best solution but obviously all these architects want their names on the new WTC so they are making stupidly rediculous new designs which are way to radical to ever be considered..... surely?

srbmod

Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:14 am

I like the Peterson/Littenburg Architecture, it to me is the best of the proposals. It seems to be the least oddball looking of the proposals. It looks like it fits the site the best, and would not look like something designed by an inmate in an asylum or designed by a kid playing with Legos or an Erector set. The Peterson/Littenburg design blends modern designs and materials with design cues from Art Deco, to Bauhaus, to Frank Lloyd Wright. This proposal is probably the most conservative of the design proposals, and that is probably what will make it stand out in a field of outlandish designs.

TWAL1011

Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:55 am

None of those really capture the emotion I'm looking for.

I'm still partial to:

STT757

Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:04 pm

I like Lord Foster's buildings, THINK's "sky park", and Skidmore, Owings and Merrils transit center.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

777YYC

Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:14 pm

When I saw the pictures of those designs I thought they'd been taken off theonion.com or something.

Nuts

vafi88

Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:58 pm

I think we should build them exactly like they were but with 3 extra floors in each tower to symbolize the 3 thousand people who lost their lives that day.

Those designs are crap! They wouldn't be nearly as cool as the original World Trade Center.

I think that if you take my proposal it would really show that we can survive, instead of building some crap in the place where something very cool once stood.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:01 pm

777236..:
read all these postings over again - and you might find out why I termed the designs "courageous". It should be pretty clear if you think about it for a little bit.  Big grin

tnnh

Dasa

Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:10 pm

I like these new designs, they are bold and are very different to the regular NY skyline.

-Dasa

We're Nuts

Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:08 pm

I like the THINK design. Looks like a ghost. But what will be inside?
Dear moderators: No.

Jayce

Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Do these designers realize they're not building a space ship?
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

zauberfloete

Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:53 pm

Fosters Design is brilliant, I love it.
Please build that one...

GDB

Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:22 pm

A report, also about Norman Foster;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/september11/story/0,11209,862644,00.html

And the paper's design/architecture correspondent;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/september11/story/0,11209,862641,00.html

Matt D

Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:16 am

Not to put too fine a point on it, but those designs are as abominable as the original 6 that the PA put out earlier this year. The only difference is that they are bigger. But still, just as vapid.

I agree with the above consensus. The one sole, entirely all-or-nothing acceptable idea is to replicate the original Twins-the only difference being that they are 1) one or more stories higher and 2) offset from the original "footprints" (so that the whiners will have their crying ground).

If the designs that were unveiled yesterday are the last, best, and final choices we are going to get, and I have to make a choice, I would go with (even though my toes curl as I say this) Foster and Partners.

Of course that's the beauty of this world and the variety of tastes: no matter what you conjure up, be it a sphere, a rectangle, a trapezoid, or something resembling a crashed alien spacecraft, someone somewhere is going to love it.

Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:21 pm

interesting report in the nytimes today by charles bagli, the real estate development writer (not the architechtural one).

bagli basically said none of these designs will ever be built, that they are basically just a side show to stimulate the public's fascination and get people's creative juices running. basically bagli said, nothing will be built until the new york economy demands this 6 to 11 million sq feet office space and that when the cranes and tractors do start rolling, public spaces and transportation projects will come before commerical office development.

sort of a "too bad" article because i really liked the designs, particularly the think, foster, and libeskind designs.

go to nytimes.com for more geat pics and movies on the designs.

tnnh

Matt D

Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:07 pm

nothing will be built until the new york economy demands this 6 to 11 million sq feet office space

That's an interesting statement. But once again, why are we being REACTIVE as opposed to PROACTIVE? Here's my $.06:

True, New Yorks economy may not need 11 million square feet of office now.

But what happens when the economy picks up in two or three years (which it will) and they wait until then to start building? Two things will happen. First, there will be a shortage-which will eventually start chasing businesses away. And then by the time the 'new' WTC (or whatever it's going to be called) is complete, the NEXT recession will be here, and the "glut" that is hindering construction today will be real.

Keep in mind that it took 6 years from groundbreaking to opening dedication for the original Twins.

So why not start building today? By the the time it's actually done-they'll be needed.

SSTjumbo

Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:37 am

I'm still looking for two towers that resemble the old twins but bear closer resemblance to the art-deco designs on top of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler building.

-Mike
I don't know, so this is my signature.

NoUFO

Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:41 am

Actually, I like Libeskind's proposal. Granted, the colors on the picture are somewhat odd but imagine this building in reality. It could really be interesting, don't you think?

Do some resarch on the net. This building is packed with ideas and symbols and seems to be a meditative and er ... o.k.: spiritual space.

The architecture of the THINK-Towers is exciting, too - no, there is nothing much inside them (a school, a library, a museum and memorial, a center for performing arts and a conference center). New offices are situated around the two towers.

It is a symbol of fragility and vulnerability and whenever I see this picture my "inner eyes" start seeing sort of a personal copy of the Twin Towers.

BTW, THINK come with three proposals: First is called "World Cultural Center". Here's No. 2, the Sky Park:

And No. 3 is called "Great Room":

There are two proposals I dislike: the #-waffles building by Richard Meier (don't understand the meaning and just don't like it) and the Peterson/Littenburg Architecture which (similar to a new/uninspired copy of the old WTC) remains in the past and seems to lack a link to future.

Regards,
NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

Noise

Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:52 am

Foster's design is growing on me. It's the twin towers all over again but with a new, revolutionary desgin. The other look pretty ugly with the exception of the Sky Park.

Stretch 8

Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:11 pm

I vote for the THINK proposal. Who the heck would want to work in two new 110 story towers?
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

BlatantEcho

Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:37 pm

the Sky Park idea is absolutely wonderful

I like the concept and the glass, the green and the streets. perfect
They're not handing trophies out today

Greg

Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:53 am

I think it should be retro. The futuristic crap is just that---crap.

scottysair

Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:17 am

I think that will be good for rebuilding new WTC after 9/11 by the terrorist attacks was did ever got crashes by two commerical airplanes. I will like that for sky park at the hudson river near of the new building, too. I should be need remodels of the new office, and etc to do. Yes, this is perfect one for the new tallest 2 twin towers, too and will people was come back into the office and after need lost of the 3,000 people during with the terrorist attacks. It's had need to be protects at the WTC get a security little tighter.

Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:56 am

heard a comentator today who said he thinks these architechts simply created these designs with no intention to ever be built on the site, but all the intention to just show off and gain praise for themselves.

the guy suggested they just build a new baseball stadium downthere.

Matt D: Your thinking is of course the right one, but trust me, no one is going to build this project on "spec" right now. It's just not the environment we're in right now. The economy is just a disaster in NYC, like much of the country. While it would be great if people stepped up to the plate with hundreds of millions of dollars and the conviction the project will be a success in 6 or 7 years, you won't see it today. No fucking way.

tnnh

strickerje

Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:09 pm

I guess I'm in the minority here - I don't care for THINK's first proposal; it looks to not have much of an interior. It needs to be functional as well as attractive, and THINK's "World Cultural Center" appears to be just a giant structure with little actual purpose. I like Skidmore, Owings & Merrill's proposal since it's big and has a large interior that looks bright and open. I also like THINK's third proposal, "Great Room," for the same reason.

-Jeffrey

TWAL1011

Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:09 pm

Well, for once I'm in complete agreement with Greg.  Smile

The futuristic stuff is total crap.