Boeing Nut

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Symbols - Backwards?

Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:04 am

I have wondered about this for a very long time. On a weather map, when the position of a hurrican/tropical storms positions are indicated, they use the cyclone symbols with the tails. Now what has bugged me is that the symbols, to me, are backwards. They use the cyclone symbol with the "eye" to indicate a tropical storm, and the cyclone symbol without the "eye" to indicate a hurricane.

It should be the other way around. A hurricane has the "eye" and a tropical storm does not. So the symbols should be reversed.

Anyone ever thought the same thing? And more impotantly, do you think I'm right?  Laugh out loud
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

KCLE

RE: Hurricane/Tropical Storm Symbols - Backwards?

Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:59 am

I'm going to guess that it's because the tropical storm symbol represents a weaker storm that is not fully organized. The hurricane symbol represents a storm that is well organized and very powerful.

Now what really bugs me is once a storm goes to tropical depression, it gets an L instead of a symbol, and the buffoons at the Weather Channel don't track the depressions, and I've seen storms that have started off as depression, to storm, to hurricane, then back down to depression, and move 500 or so miles and strenghten, and you don't see a colored path of dots showing where it moved from to where it was presently.

I'm sure the Weather Channel could very easily add a new colored path of dots for depressions. They use pink dots for hurricanes, yellow dots for tropical storms, so they could use green for depressions.