JZucker

Studying Abroad...London Or Norway?

Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:13 pm

what do you guys think? I am a college student and want my share of fun..  Smile

Hepkat

RE: Studying Abroad...London Or Norway?

Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:28 pm

If you're looking for a good nightlife and a familiar culture without the challenge of having to learn a new language, then London's your place.

If you´re looking for pristine natural beauty and want to experience a different view and way of life, then go to Norway.

I'd personally choose Norway, it's a very underrated location and is undoubtedly the most beautiful country I've ever visited. If you choose to go there, then you simply must take a week off to to go travelling up the western coast. You'll see dramatic scenery as you've never seen before; majestic fjords cutting through crystal clear blue or green glassy glades, the greenery mixed with the calm Atlantic ocean. I went hiking in Narvik (way up in the Arctic Circle) and the mountainous scenery there was unlike anything I've ever seen before. Looked like I was on a completely different planet with weird vegetation and strange rock formations. Also, Scandinavian culture and traditions are quite different and worth experiencing.

Andreas

Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:37 pm

Just don't forget: London is a bloody expensive place to have fun!!! Well it depends where you come from, but coming from Frankfurt/Germany, which is not exactly known as a discount place to be, it hits me everytime when I come to London (which is quite often and on business, fortunately), and when I get into nightlife and culture, it hits me even harder!!
Anyway, London is the place where you want to be, I love it!
But: If you are a jazz fan, try Oslo, Oslo is a city with a very lively jazz music scene, very innovative and exciting, currently one of the best worldwide...and besides, Norwegian ladies are...well, hmmmmmmmmm, but you probably just want to learn a lot  Big grin Big grin Big grin

Regards

Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

jwenting

Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:41 pm

London is one of the 10 most expensive cities in the world (maybe top 3, I wouldn't be surprised).
It's also the single best city in the world to visit and its universities are the best of the best...
I wish I were flying

AerLingus

Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:01 am

Go to Oslo! It is a beautiful city and it is much cleaner and better quality for living than London.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

sushka

Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:04 am

I really like Scandinavian countries so I would choose Norway.
I have been to Finland and Sweden several times and loved it.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:06 am

Both would be good choices.

If you choose London, you have the chance to enjoy some of the world's best nightlife,restaurants,shops,cinema's etc. You have the chance to meet and experience many different cultures and religions that is prevailant here. Language won't be a problem assuming you speak english, plus also you can enjoy some of the world's most famous landmarks here.

I can't speak for Norway as i haven't been there, but i assume it would be typical Scandanavia, beautiful country with friendly people.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

jcs17

Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:24 am

Some of you are forgetting that Oslo isnt the cheapest place in the world either, both cities are pretty expensive.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

jsmith

Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:20 pm

I was fortunate to be a postgrad student in London in 1998-99 and cannot recommend the experience highly enough.

As already mentioned, you will have access to some of the best lecturers in their fields, a wealth of information and inspiration, and the chance to get to know fellow students from all over the planet!

Go to London!

MD-90

Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:59 am

My sister (currently a junior at Mississippi State, majoring in industrial engineering) is going to spend her next fall semester at American University in London (I think that's the name of it, it's American Something, at least). I think it's costing her $7000, plus supposedly another $1000 to spend a week skiing in the Alps. She's a sorority girl, and the nightlife would be very important to her, so I'm sure she'll love London. She's been on trips to London, Ireland, Germany, and Austria before, so I guess she has something to compare it with.