Lindy
Topic Author

Simpsons Are From Northern Kentucky?

Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:16 am

Hi All,

Yesterday I was watching Simpsons "Behind the laughter" episode and Homer said that they are living in Northern Kentucky.
The city Springfield is located south inbetween Lexington and Frankfort.

Is that the place or they are just pulling our legs?

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Bizjets

RE: Simpsons Are From Northern Kentucky?

Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:30 am

The Simpsons live in Springfield, Any State, USA. Basically, they live in all states, not just one. They are a parody of American life, all of it. It isn't coincidental that they picked Springfield. Every state has one.

ybacpa

Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:24 am

They actually made several different copies of that scene for Behind the Laughter that gives different states. I don't remember for sure which states the others were (I think North Dakota was one). As someone pointed out once, though, Kentucky has the distinction of having its Springfield near a town called Shelbyville.
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

Illini_152

Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:22 am

Springfield, IL is also less than an hour away from Shelbyville, IL. And, in the Cat Burgler episode, they pass the grave of Adili Stevenson, who, while born in Kentucky, was a congressman from Illinois, and served as VP under Cleveland.

- Mike, still claiming it's Springfield, IL.
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

mt99

Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:16 am

also in another episode they something like "south of the border...Tennessse" which is south of KY
Step into my office, baby

LPL

Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:58 pm

I agree with Illni_152, it's probably likely that it is in Illinois. Though the 'Springfield' on the Simpsons is near some sort of sea or lake.

zeus01

Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:13 am

No its not. Your all wrong. In the behind the scenes episodes, the actors tell where they are from, NOT the actual simpson family or where the show is set. And there not in springfield illinois. Im possible, because right outside of simpsons springfield lies deserts, mountains and springfield is on the coast. In fact, you could say its on the east coast somewhere, because there is a episode where Willy gets deported and I don't think he would take a ship back to scotland from the west coast.
Truth is that the simpons are supposed to reprsent anytown america. Its a social critsism that doesn't have a geographical location.

Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:18 am

It's gotta be Springfield, Mas !!!

Just kidding.
You have to remember, they live next to extremely high mountains, an Ocean, a lake, big forests ....

gocaps16

Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:44 am

The Simpsons are from CANADA.

Kevin

SSTjumbo

Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:44 am

TWO leads now pointing to KY as their theoretical home state. One, the behind the scenes episode, two, in the sugar ban episode, a mobster states that he's on a mission to go south of the border in order to claim sugar, to which Homer replies, "You Mean Tennessee?"

Cheers
Mike Big grin
I don't know, so this is my signature.

LPL

Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:18 am

On the last ever episode of The Simpsons I wouldn't be suprised if they told you!

Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:34 am

The Simpsons are from one of these 3 states:

Alabama
Kentucky
Mississippi

Why?

Well you tell me in what other state could the entire population be born with unnatural features, i.e. only 4 fingers on each hand.

Or they could be in Pennsylvania. Only Radioactive Man has five fingers. He was born with 4, but only after becoming radioactive did he gain an extra finger on each hand. Three Mile Island?

Unlikely to be Pennsylvania, so I will stick with one of the inbred southern states.  Laugh out loud

4holer

Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:43 am

Does anyone remember the scene in Rain Man where Raymond is doing the "Who's on First" bit and, frustrated, Tom Cruise's character throws his hands up and yells, "It's not a riddle!!!! You'll never figure it out!!! It's a joke!!!"
As much as you try...
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/243574/4/
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/255720/4/
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/277923/4/
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/323983/4/
...you won't change the fact that they are not real, they are fiction. They do not have to be from ANY existing Springfield and ARE NOT from any existing Springfield.
It's not a riddle, Ray!

Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

N79969

Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:59 am

We've never heard "mmm, Skyline Chili."