MD-90
Topic Author

Http://www.landoverbaptist.org What Do You Think?

Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:22 pm

http://www.landoverbaptist.org

What do you think about that web site?

I'd just like to point out, when's the last time you saw a Christian parodying Islam or atheism or Wicca like this?

avt007

RE: Http://www.landoverbaptist.org What Do You Think?

Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:53 pm

A prime example of the pointless waste of time that the net can be...........

We're Nuts

Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:55 pm

Everyone needs to be poked fun at occasionally. I liked the site, it's funny.
Dear moderators: No.

Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:05 pm

Based on a quick glance of the website, it doesn't appear to be a parody of Christianity in general, but of a militant, right-wing, fanatical, "believe-or-be-damned" interpretation of the religion that imposes its values on others and considers other beliefs to be inferior (and I'm definitely not referring to all Baptists here).

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong about subjecting religious extremists to satire, regardless of whether they are Christian or, say, Muslim.

Barcode

Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:30 pm

I think it's hilarious and isn't too far off the mark with the fanatics I've encountered.

EGGD

Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:38 pm

I think its very very very very funny stuff.

Can't believe some people could get pissed off about it...

ah well.

Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:04 pm

One last thing, MD-90. In your post, you imply that Christians don't parody atheists. Well, any satire pales in comparison with, say, this sick statement George Bush Sr. made when running for President in 1988:

"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

You see, considering that such ignorant attacks on atheism are commonplace, it is a bit ironic seeing Christians being so offended by a satiric website (whose targets, as I've said, happen to be Christian extremists and not Christians in general).

b757300

Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:57 pm

Well, considering that 90% of the people here are atheists or some other kinds of non existent religion I except everyone to think it is funny. I wonder what everyone who puts down Christians and mocks us will say to God on Judgment Day?
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

We're Nuts

Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:18 pm

"How are you?", maybe. I'll probably just tell him to get out of my seat.

jcs17

Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:24 pm

I think its very disrespectful and rude, but at the same time I think its pretty funny. I think its even funnier to watch all the athiests run around and try to put down religion too...you know what, my belief in God is slight at best, but I dont need to put others beliefs down to feel secure about my ideas.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Marco

Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:24 pm

It's very politically correct to make fun of Christians these days. People's reactions would be so different if this site made fun of some other faith, or even athiesm.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Scorpio

Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:46 pm

B757300, Jcs17, Marco,

Can you guys not see that this site does NOT make fun of Christianity at all? It's a parody of Christian extremism. I thought it was funny. Any form of extremism deserves its own parody. Yes, this includes Muslim extremism.

Scorpio

Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:53 pm

MD-90,

I'd just like to point out, when's the last time you saw a Christian parodying Islam or atheism or Wicca like this?

Might I point out that, for all you and I know, the people behind this site might very well just BE Christians? Just not extremists.

MD-90
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:23 pm

HAH. Scorpio, Hell will freeze over before you convince me that there are Christians behind that so-called "church." What they preach isn't true Christianity, it's them wanting to make fun of it using selected verses from a book (which is probably all the Bible is to them, just a book).

I'm a Baptist, and I know that sometimes we rub people the wrong way, but that site is directly trying to destroy the most important thing in my life. Go to the forums, see what some supposed "church members" are saying to people.

PHX-LJU, you're right, that's an extremely offensive statement. I'd say he's not on the right track, either. The US was founded as one nation under God, but we still have religious freedom, and atheists are certainly welcome, in the full spirit of true toleration.

Scorpio

Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:35 pm

HAH. Scorpio, Hell will freeze over before you convince me that there are Christians behind that so-called "church." What they preach isn't true Christianity, it's them wanting to make fun of it using selected verses from a book (which is probably all the Bible is to them, just a book).

MD-90,

They are NOT making fun of Christianity. I repeat, they are making fun of the fundamentalist and extremist interpretation some give to Christianity. And it is precisely these extremists and fundamentalists that make Christianity look bad.

heavymetal

Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:13 am

It's very politically correct to make fun of Christians these days.

Hey! There's another use for "politically correct"....GREAT! One more reason the phrase is pointless...

Much of Landover's parodies have their roots in the actual policies of the present far right wing leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention...and those people would be an embarrassment to any faith. Perhaps when your church stops self-righteously inserting itself into every possible social question with its' pious claim as Jesus' exclusive representative on Earth , sites like Landover will go away. But until you stop seeing devious 'gay recruitment' in Disney health policies, a homosexual terrorist in Tinky-Winky, and conning Jewish kids to after school parties to have them sign papers professing they believe in Jesus, the rest of us will make fun of you.

As long as there's a http://www.godhatesfags.com, may there always be a
http://www.landoverbaptist.com

Marco

Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:20 am

As long as there's a http://www.godhatesfags.com, may there always be a
http://www.landoverbaptist.com

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Proud to be an Assyrian!

Alpha 1

Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:20 am

Well, considering that 90% of the people here are atheists or some other kinds of non existent religion I except everyone to think it is funny.

I'm Christian, B757300, and I think it's classic! It's a parody of the drivel the far right-wing in this country puts out, and it's about time someone stomped on them a little bit. It isn't as far from the truth as you might think-if it weren't a parody, it would virtually be what Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are constantly advocationg.

I wonder what everyone who puts down Christians and mocks us will say to God on Judgment Day?

Are you trying to tell me The Almighty condones what the far-right Christians preach in this country? I don't think He does, and I think He'll send people like Robertson and Falwell to perdition for the hate and divisions they have caused in their lifetime on this earth. God has a sense of humor, even if you don't.

HAH. Scorpio, Hell will freeze over before you convince me that there are Christians behind that so-called "church."

I'd gladly make up an article for that site, MD-90, because what I beleive it's mocking isn't Christianity, but the perversion of Christianity from people like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Ralph Reed and all those nuts. They've perverted their faith just as much as Islamic militants have perverted their faith, and they deserve to be mocked. All Christians, MD-90, don't buy into the garbage of the far right. I don't, and most people who are Christian that I know don't either.

it's them wanting to make fun of it using selected verses from a book (which is probably all the Bible is to them, just a book).

Yes, and the far-right uses the same book and selected verses from it to promote hatred and discrimination against minorities, gays, non-Christians, and others. You lose on that point.

I'm a Baptist, and I know that sometimes we rub people the wrong way, but that site is directly trying to destroy the most important thing in my life.

Is the most important thing in your life intolerance of other faiths? Of other sects within Christianity? Of minorities? Of gays? THAT is what this site is making fun of, MD-90. Unless you believe in such things, I don't see how you can be offended, unless you're incredibly thin-skinned. But from what I've read from you on here before, you do believe in some of these intolerances, so I see why you're so pissed. Too bad for you.

This site does one thing: mock those who have perverted the Christian faith for their own personal and political gain in American society. It mocks hypocrites like Falwell, Robertson, Jim Baker (remember that hypocrite?), and so many others, who have mocked God and the Christian Faith by their actions. If you're offended by that, then you must, honestly, think like they do.

EGGD

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:03 am

Yes, this includes Muslim extremism.

Yup, remember all those jokes about mr. Bin Laden after 9/11, I know its not IDENTICAL but its pretty similar.

I still think people should just chill, its not harming anyone, its not directly aimed at christians in general (as mentioned before) and its not flamebait (intending to provoke a reaction, such as this, from Christians). Its just a bit of fun, very good attempt at Satire!!

Regards

Dan  Big grin

mbmbos

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:06 am

It is without a doubt a satirical web site and not a real church. I have no problem with satire directed at anybody or any organization, but I do think that Landover Baptist is a bit heavy-handed.

I think that The Onion produces some very sharp, witty satire about religion. If you want a laugh, check out these articles:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3528/christ_denies.html

http://www.theonion.com/onion3513/christ_islam.html

http://www.theonion.com/onion3622/god_answers_prayers.html

Alpha 1

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:17 am

It is without a doubt a satirical web site and not a real church. I have no problem with satire directed at anybody or any organization, but I do think that Landover Baptist is a bit heavy-handed.

ROTFL. For a second, Mbmbos, I thought you had said "satanical", not "satirical", and was about to give you an eyeful!  Laugh out loud I'm glad I re-read it! As for being heavy-handed, isn't that what political/religious satire is all about?  Smile

heavymetal

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:19 am

Great post, Alpha...

Landover Baptist makes fun of that part of religion that feels it's more important to be against something than for something.

I can't for the life of me see how this site could offend anyone's Faith or personal interaction with the life and words of Christ....Landover doesn't make fun of God at all. It makes fun of those who like to play Him.

heavymetal

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:23 am

by the way, if Landover gives you a chuckle, try this:

http://www.bettybowers.com

She's America's Best Christian....so close to Jesus, they have joint checking.

mbmbos

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:26 am

I'm glad you re-read it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

As for satire being inherently heavy-handed, I disagree. Heavy-handed usually means lacking skill or subtlety. I like a brand of satire that doesn't necessarily go for the obvious, but draws blood all the same.

Check out those Onion links. They're truly hysterical and point to contradictions in some people's belief systems.

MD-90
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:44 am

Well, I'm a Baptist, and most churches in the SBC don't allow for women to be pastors, don't allow gays to be pastors either, believe that the King James Bible is the absolutely accurate Word of God (not corrupted by men writing it down or anything). Also, the homosexual act of sodomy is a sin, just like adultery, and we believe that baptism should be by full immersion, as it was done in the Bible.

I AM one of those "fundamentalist Baptists" that the Landover Baptist Church is parodying. But that doesn't really bother me. I just wonder about people that go there and may actually think that some of that stuff reflects how we really are.

Alpha 1

Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:51 am

I AM one of those "fundamentalist Baptists" that the Landover Baptist Church is parodying.

If that is the case, you are not a true Christian, who, as Jesus said should "love thy neighbor as thy self". You pick and choose who is worthy, and that makes you the worst kind of Christian-you judge, instead of letting God do the final judgement.

Remember the story of the Good Samaratan? Would that be you, or would you find out first if they're liberal or conservative? Would you discern if they were gay or straight? Would you find out if they were Muslim or Christian? Or would you just help them out of the goodness of your heart. Listening to your litany of Litmus tests, it doesnt' seem as you would. I hope I'm wrong.

But that doesn't really bother me.

Of course it does. You claim it is mocking what you are, and that bugs the hell out of you.

I just wonder about people that go there and may actually think that some of that stuff reflects how we really are.

If you're like the kind of Christians that site is talking about, then it does reflect on you. It reflects on hypocrites like Falwell, Robertson, Reed, etc, who use "God" as a means to hate; to discriminate; to single out people for persecution. If you're not that kind of Christian, it shouldn't bother you at all. I am a Christian, and it doesn't bother me in the least. Why should it bother you?

777236ER

Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:52 am

Also, the homosexual act of sodomy is a sin, just like adultery, and we believe that baptism should be by full immersion, as it was done in the Bible.

........in your opinion.
Your bone's got a little machine

MD-90
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:41 am

Alpha 1, how can you possibly say that I'm not a Christian? I do NOT pick and choose who is "worthy," which is a fallacious statement anyway. I have friends that are gay, in case you didn't know. I love them, even though I still think they're making bad choices. And you know what, it really doesn't bother me. I'm a Christian, and I certainly can forgive whomever has thoughtlessly created that site. If you're a Christian, Alpha 1, then why can't you understand this? Whatever made you think that I would find out what a person's political affiliation or sexual orientation or eye color was before I helped them in any way? That is absurd.

And I would try very hard to never be like some of these tv evangelists that you named. I'm not like them, anyway. But that site is primarily making fun of Baptists, and I am a Baptist.

Finally, 777236ER, the Bible condemns sodomy. It also condemns lying. Are you going to say that it's merely my opinion that lying is wrong? Baptism was done by full immersion by Jesus and John the Baptist, and if it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

777236ER

Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:45 am

Alpha 1, how can you possibly say that I'm not a Christian?

How can you possibly say other Christians aren't Christians, whch you do lots? (This is getting confusing...)

the Bible condemns sodomy. It also condemns lying. Are you going to say that it's merely my opinion that lying is wrong?

Please show me the verse that says sodomy is wrong. I assume the Bible says "God prohibits anal intercourse, whether between two men or a man and a woman. Furthermore, God also prohibits lying in any way." Thought not.

Baptism was done by full immersion by Jesus and John the Baptist, and if it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me, it's good enough for twoooo that's all I wanna see! Or words to that effect. Ahem, yeah well...I assume you're POSITIVE about the truth of the Bible, a book written more than 2000 years ago?

MD-90
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:57 am

Fine then, just let it die. I'm wrong, you're right, I concede, give up, surrender, et al. We fundamentalists are a bunch of crazy nuts that hate everyone else who isn't exactly like us. Hate hate hate and discriminate. That's all we're about. Humph.

Psalm 34:12-14

Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.
Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

We're Nuts

Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:06 am

Fine then, just let it die. I'm wrong, you're right, I concede, give up, surrender, et al. We fundamentalists are a bunch of crazy nuts that hate everyone else who isn't exactly like us. Hate hate hate and discriminate. That's all we're about. Humph.

Victory!

777236ER

Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:09 am

Success!!

777236ER

Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:12 am

You steal my thoughts again, We're Nuts, and I'll have your ass. And not in the Matt D sense, oh no.

Psalm 34:12-14

Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.
Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

Operation Ivy: Knowledge

Well I know, things are getting tougher
When you cant get the top off from the bottom of the barrel!
Wide open road of my future now...it's looking fucking narrow!

The similarity? They're both meaningless. Mine includes a kickass song though.

We're Nuts

Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:30 am

You steal my thoughts again, We're Nuts, and I'll have your ass. And not in the Matt D sense, oh no.

You know what they say about great minds... but why the hell YOU were thinking like me is a mystery.

777236ER

Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:21 am

You know what they say about great minds... but why the hell YOU were thinking like me is a mystery.

Oh please. I knew it, the moment I take my tin foil hat off you start stealing my thoughts. I knew you were doing it too. You better stop, you know. God doesn't like you stealing people's thoughts! You'll go to hell and spend eternity with Ghandi and Mother Theresa, that bitch Catholic! We all know Catholics aren't actually Christian, right Marco? Beware of God™, We're Nuts...

Alpha 1

Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:41 am

But that site is primarily making fun of Baptists, and I am a Baptist.

I think it's making fun of far, right-wing, ultra conservative Christians, like Robertson and Falwell and that hypocritical crowd, not any one sect of Christianity. If any thing that is said on there strikes close to what a Baptist is, I don't want to be one, but if it's REALLY that far off the mark, then don't let it bother you.

To me, the worst thing ever to happen to Christians in this country is the Christian Coalition, the "Moral Majority" (which was, and still is, neither), and groups like that, that politicized Christianity to the point where instead of being a uniting force in the U.S., Falwell and Robertson have made it a dividing force among our citizens. It is the Falwell's and Robertson's that have polarized people on the lines of faith and politics; it was the right that has made the litmus tests for what is acceptable for being "Christian", and, worse for what is acceptable for what being an "American" is.

That is what this site is making fun of, in my view, nothing else. Again, if it doesn't look like your faith to you, blow it off.

MD-90
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:09 am

That was satirical, you know.

Marco

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:19 am

Theresa, that bitch Catholic! We all know Catholics aren't actually Christian, right Marco?

HUH?

Who said I have anything against Catholics?!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Hepkat

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:32 am

...believe that the King James Bible is the absolutely accurate Word of God (not corrupted by men writing it down or anything).

MD-90, the King James Bible cannot be taken as the absolute accurate word of God. It was translated from Latin, which itself was translated from various ancient and dead tongues, some words of which find no equivalency in our modern languages. Throughout history, the Church has convened various councils, who for political reasons, chose which books should be included, which books should be burned as blasphemy, how these books should be translated, etc. Each version of the Bible must be viewed through the bias and knowledge available to scholars at the time of translation.

Please see:
History of the Church: http://www.bible.org/docs/history/schaff/vol7/httoc.htm
History of the editions of the Bible: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05286a.htm
Different Translations of the Bible: http://www.abu.nb.ca/ecm/topics/history4.htm

MD-90
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:39 am

I don't think it was specifically meant to apply to you, Marco.

This is what he's talking about:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

IHadAPheo

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:51 am

Hepkat makes an excellent point regarding "the absolutely accurate word of God". For a "book" some of whose parts were written a few thousand years ago to be held up as an absolute anything might be a bit of a reach. And each translation is open to the interpretation of those who did the translation.

But everyone must come to their own conclusions as to who/what is "God" and how "God" becomes a part of their own life.

Ah all my babblings here reminds me of my comparative religion courses back in my university days (ah to be young and know everything again)

Yours,
IhadAPheo

Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers
^
^
Nick Cave

Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

blink182

Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:00 pm

"Well, I'm a Baptist, and most churches in the SBC don't allow for women to be pastors,don't allow gays to be pastors either..."-MD 90

Dude, I thought your religion didn't even like gay people. What's the point of not allowing them to be pastors if you won't even allow them to be a member of your religion?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

us330

Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:58 pm

You guys are taking this way too seriously. It is a site set up by the creators of westernwhitehouse.org, a Bush administration satire site, and they declare it (landoverbaptist.org) to be the official website of the "Department of Faith", poking fun of Ashcroft. So, in short, LANDOVERBAPTIST.ORG DOES NOT MAKE FUN OF CHRISTIANITY, it just makes fun of the Christian extremists/fundamentalists such as Falwell, Robertson, and Ashcroft.

MD-90
Topic Author

Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:12 am

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/158/158cont.asp will answer all of your questions about the King James Bible.

By the way, the King James is based upon the Latin Vulgate of 150 AD, not Jerome's later corrupt version shamelessly entitled, The Vulgate (of 380 AD).

mbmbos

Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:33 am

MD-90,

My father has a PhD. in theology - and he's a Baptist!

Many times I've seen him chuckle when people assert that the King James version is the true word of god. This is a man who has learned Greek and Latin so that he can study the earliest of texts. And this man - a Baptist, mind you - informs me that these ancient texts are subject to interpretation just like anything else in written form.

It appears that you seek concrete, immutable truths in your life. But let me tell you, buddy, they don't exist. We were born with some extraordinary traits - intellect and compassion among them. It seems to me that if you choose to believe in god, then it's a no-brainer to assume that god intended for you to use these gifts.

Why are you spending your time on this futile, unimportant argument?

flyboy36y

Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:24 am

Who remembers the Priest who was forced to resign by his church after attending a post 9/11 Interfath memorial in Central Park?

Alpha 1

Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:25 am

MD-90, most Christians, I imagine, do NOT think the Bible is, word-for-word, "The Word of God". I don't believe it is-not after it has been translated over and over after a few thousand years at least.

The story of Adam and Eve, for example, in my view, was passed down from generation to generation, and is not a verbatim description from God Himself. I truly feel that those fundamentalist sects of Christianity who do believe it is the true words of God, say this to justify their own political and religious bias against others who do not beleive what they do. The same holds true for any Fundamentalists beliefs, including Islam and Judiaism, who take their words more literal than others in their faith.

It's very easy for a Jerry Falwell to have his hatreds of gays and liberals, because he tries to justify it through literal interpretation of the Holy Scriptures. That doesn't mean that homosexuality is not sinful. I believe it is, but that's not the point here. Guhys like Falwell believe that is a pretext for persecuting such people, and I do not. You can interpret the Bible to say just about anything you want, and he, and others like him use it for religious and political persecution. THAT is what is being made fun of here. Again, you should only find offense if you agree with his ultra-conservative point of view.

Extremism in anything-including religion-is a dangerous thing, and this is mocking such extremism, that does indeed exist withing ultra-conservative Christianity in this nation. Deny it if you wish, but it exists, and it is a threat to the freedom of all Americans.

One more note. The rise of this ultra-conservative Christianity has come for one reason: the attempt by ultra-liberals and Politically Correct mind-police to remove Christianity completely from American life. We see that every Christmas, where some PC group or person protests even the words "Merry Christmas" on some display or another. One extremism gives rise to another, and such is the case here. While I disagree with the extremism on the right, I understand the roots of it's rise. I don't condone either form of extremism.

LHMark

Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:29 am

If you guys had that much trouble with THAT piece of parody, try this one!

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

delta-flyer

RE: Http://www.landoverbaptist.org What Do You Thi

Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:15 am

There's always a fine line between good satire and being excessively offensive. On the one hand, people should express their views without reservation, but yet should be sensitive toward other people's feelings. On the other hand, people with thin skins will be offended at times. That's the price we must pay for living in a free society.

Free speech is a powerful tool -- it must be used responsibly, otherwise we may create a very combative society where no one will be happy.

On that note, I wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year!!

Pete  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

MD-90
Topic Author

Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:46 am

Mbombos, no offense to your dad, but a lot of today's learned Bible scholars don't believe that the Bible, as we have it (at least in the Cambridge edition of the King James), is the true, inerrant word of God. I certainly would never accuse your father of anything, but I do know that a lot of preachers and Bible scholars like to "interpret" the Bible. The King James scholars were some of the most learned men of their day, the 17th century equivalents of Aristotle, Plato, etc. There may be 15 English words that could be translated for one Greek word in the New Testament, and I trust that the King James translators chose the right ones.

Why the Bible is perfect, even though it's not currently popular to believe that:
Matthew 5:18 (NIV)
I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

1 Peter 1:25
But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

More verses about the Bible itself:
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Jeremiah 23:29
Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?