Turbolet
Topic Author

Turbolet's Revelation

Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:47 am

The time has come to tell you all that I'm bisexual.

I know this will probably come as a great surprise to many people who know me on ICQ or AIM and whom I haven't told yet. But let me just say that now that I have learnt to be what I am, now that I have admitted it to myself, I feel a lot better than before (up to only a few weeks ago) when I used to hide from it. I'm proud of myself for having made this big realization. Obviously this is quite recent so only a few really close friends know so far, and you guys on the forum. I do hope that people in this forum are as open-minded as they appear and I'm confident that my sexuality will not change the way everyone here looks at me. The hardest part will be telling my parents but I've decided not to do that so far.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank a fellow airliners.net member whom I've talked to on AIM and who has provided me with support and guidance. You know who you are and I've thanked you already, but I feel that I will never be able to pay you back for all that you've done for me. Without you, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Well, that's all I have to say. One of my New Year's resolutions is to be proud of myself and never feel ashamed, no matter what.

Best Regards,
-turbolet

777236ER

RE: Turbolet's Revelation

Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:51 am

The time has come to tell you all that I'm bisexual.

Big deal Big grin. There'll be people who tell you you're wrong, you're sick, you're having the best of both worlds and even that you're going to hell, but ignore them. It's your choice, whatever makes you happy.
Your bone's got a little machine

AC320

Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:54 am

One of my New Year's resolutions is to be proud of myself and never feel ashamed, no matter what.

One of the better ones I've ever heard  Big thumbs up
fuddle duddle

TWAL1011

Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:32 am

Airliners.net must be the world's largest closet door.

Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:56 am

As long as a person is monogomous and honest it really doesn't make any difference what their preferences are.

VH-ADG

Krushny

Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:07 am

At my age, most people like me (married, little kids, overworked) become bisexual. That means, having sex twice a year...  Innocent

TWAL1011

Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:10 am

As long as a person is monogomous...

By definition, it's gonna be kinda tough for him to work that. Don't ya think?

LH423

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:09 am

How do you mean, TWAL1011?

Hey man. Good job. Telling people (at least for me) has been pretty lacklustre, so I wish you the best of luck.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

MD-90

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:15 am

That's one thing one of my friends is deathly afraid of: his parents finding out that he's gay. He's a junior in high school, which definately complicates things a bit, because high schoolers can be pretty cruel. But you know, when it got out that he really was gay (people just thought he was a little fruity), it was a big deal for a week, then it settled down. Mostly. And he is a Christian, a Baptist in fact. And I honestly think he's every bit as saved and destined for Heaven as I am. Congratulations on admitting it to people, Turbolet. That takes a lot of gumption.

Shawn Patrick

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:55 am

Well I'm a bit confusèd. The reason you were hiding it was because you were ashamed of it. But now you're not ashamed of it? If you don't mind my asking, how is it possible to make that mental switch? Seems kind of like you're lowering your expectations from yourself?

Shawn
Just trying to understand

yyz717

Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:58 am

Seems kind of like you're lowering your expectations from yourself?

Maybe he's just building his self-confidence! I applaud Turbolet for having the courage to be honest.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

TWAL1011

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:32 pm

How do you mean, TWAL1011?

What do you mean, what do I mean???

He's bisexual.

How can he remain monogamous?

We're Nuts

Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:47 pm

Everyone is bisexual, few people actually admit it though. Anyway, it's good that you have stopped lying to yourself.
Dear moderators: No.

maiznblu_757

Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:07 pm

I'd also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank a fellow airliners.net member whom I've talked to on AIM and who has provided me with support and guidance. You know who you are and I've thanked you already, but I feel that I will never be able to pay you back for all that you've done for me. Without you, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Good job Matt D. How in the hell can you offer guidance if you cant admit it yourself! Jeesh.

cfalk

Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:00 pm

Everyone is bisexual, few people actually admit it though.

Speak for yourself. I seriously doubt that most guys have looked at another guy's hairy ass with a hard-on.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

We're Nuts

Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:04 pm

Speak for yourself. I seriously doubt that most guys have looked at another guy's hairy ass with a hard-on.

Can you have sex with a man? Yes, you're bisexual. We all are.

cfalk

Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:23 pm

Can you have sex with a man? Yes, you're bisexual. We all are.

ROTFLMAO!!!

If you are talking about the physical potential, granted. But your question can also be turned around. Can two cars exist in the same place at the same time? Yes. But you will never be able to drive them again. Just because you CAN do something does not mean that you would WANT to do it.

Anyway, To be bisexual, you have to be sexually attracted to both sexes. I expect that for most people, that isn't quite true.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

We're Nuts

Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:30 pm

Yes well attraction is merely a state of mind, which as I'm sure you know can change quickly.

174thfwff

Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:39 pm

"Everyone is bisexual, few people actually admit it though."
Maybe it's what you think...but it's not the truth.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

An-225

Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:44 pm

Congratulations, Turbolet. It takes a lot of guts to find out who you are, and somteimes it can be painful. But look at it this way - now you have the best of both worlds.

Enjoy,

Alex
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

We're Nuts

Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:03 pm

Maybe it's what you think...but it's not the truth.

Getting defensive? We are all made of the same material. Same parts, same places to put them. Like it or not, you are identical to any gay man.

Turbolet
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:26 pm

Seems that I need to make a few explanations:

-First of all regarding monogamy. Well, why should it be different for me than any straight married man? Don't tell me that no straight married man ever feels sexually attracted towards a woman other than his wife. The choice is then his. The only difference in my case is that if I ever do get married I can become sexually attracted to a woman or man, but other than that it's just the same thing. Get my point? Sexuality has nothing to do with being faithful or unfaithful.

-As regards religion. I was given religious freedom by my parents (who are agnostic) and I had been brought up at a Catholic primary school. Two or so years ago, though, I somehow distanced myself from Catholic faith and became more or less of an agnostic myself. Now my rejection of Catholicism comes stronger than ever before - how can I possibly be Catholic if the Church offers no tolerance to people who are not straight?

-To Shawn Patrick: before, I didn't ever admit to myself that I should be anything else than straight, it didn't even cross my mind. As an obvious result, I was scared of and uncomfortable with my attraction for members of the male gender. Now, having talked it over with people, I realized that I'm not entirely straight and came to accept that I am bisexual. Basically the reason for this switch was talking about it and gaining more self-esteem and courage. As I said, that's mostly the merit of a fellow member who I first mentioned my feelings to (Remember that big hug I wanted to give you? Well, you're gonna get it one day when we meet in person  Smile)

-The last point is that no, not everyone is bisexual. It's not a question of 'equipment', it's a question of feelings and attraction. In the case of most men, attraction towards other males is just not there so they're not bisexual. In my case it is there, but so is an attraction towards females. That makes my sexuality pretty obvious.

Thanks for the feedback to everyone!

Greg

Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:44 pm

Wow...something that makes you interesting.
Thank you for sharing on a aviation forum (was gay.com busy?)

174thfwff

Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:01 am

"Getting defensive? We are all made of the same material. Same parts, same places to put them. Like it or not, you are identical to any gay man."

And I'm identical to Adolf Hitler, Sadam Husane, Osama... your point?

DeanBNE

Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:13 am

You are a brave and mature young man, turbolet.

Wow...something that makes you interesting.
Thank you for sharing on a aviation forum (was gay.com busy?)

Good to see homophobic homosexuals are alive and well on the NON-AVIATION forum.

Cheers,
Dean

Lindy

Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:08 am

hehehehe

BWIADCA - Nikon D100

American_4275

Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:13 am

Getting defensive? We are all made of the same material. Same parts, same places to put them. Like it or not, you are identical to any gay man.

I followed you about up to this point. I can see where your theory of everyone being bisexual comes from, although I don't agree with it. But now you're saying that just because we're made of the same parts, our preferences are the same. So since I'm identical to a gay man, doesn't that mean the gay man should be straight, since I'm straight? I think you're missing one thing though - the brain. Our brains are not all identical - and that's where preference and sexuality comes in.

American_4275

American_4275

Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:15 am

BTW,
Turbolet I know it can be hard to come out with this kind of thing, but it's really good to hear that you're pretty comfortable with the idea. I'm glad you're content and wish you the best of luck. Good for you for getting the best of both worlds, too!  Big thumbs up

American_4275

LH423

Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:09 am

DeanBNE: LOL! My sentiments exactly!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

KLAX

Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:20 am

Good to see homophobic homosexuals are alive and well on the NON-AVIATION forum.

Cheers,
Dean

Yep  Big grin

Good for you Turbolet  Big thumbs up
I hope you're happier everyday now  Smile

-Clovis

Turbolet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:13 am

As some people have put it, I can have 'the best of both worlds' now and sure enough, I intend to have it! I mean just look at the number of people I can date and have relationships with (in no particular order):
-straight females
-gay males
-bisexual females
-bisexual males

And as for Greg: maybe you should have kept your comment to yourself. If you're not tolerant and want to talk about aircraft only, non-aviation really isn't a place for you to be.

Thanks to all the people who have thrown in their words of support. It shows that I was not wrong in thinking that airliners.net is a place where one can speak up and be accepted!

We're Nuts

Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:15 am

I like to think of sexual preference being similar to your "favorite food". It isn't a choice, and it isn't preprogrammed at birth, but rather it is a result of your surroundings. And like it or not, we can all eat a raw onion - some people just like it more than others.

Turbolet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:34 am

We're Nuts:

Don't take this personally, it's your opinion and it is my firm belief that every person has a right for an opinion and should never be attacked or persecuted because of it. But I beg to disagree. I think that one is born with his or her sexuality, and that it cannot be changed. And also don't you think that being brought up in a strongly Catholic country I probably wouldn't become bisexual according to your theory? I don't exactly have the 'right' surroundings for it.

Perhaps I'm too influenced by my faith in destiny. I believe that when a person is born, there is already a book somewhere in which you can read what that person will do, whom he or she will meet, what will happen... Everything is planned to the least detail and recorded in this book before a person's birth, but no one can ever know what's in their book before it happens.

Anyway I have to be off now!
-turbolet

airways1

Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:55 am

I'd like to congratulate you, Turbolet. Not everyone has the maturity or confidence to do what you have done.

Being bi- is neither here nor there, but it takes a special person to free oneself from religion.

airways1

We're Nuts

Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:24 am

Sometimes that which makes us unique is hard to understand. For instance, both of my parents hate flying, yet I love it. I wasn't born this way, and it isn't a choice. How many of you could honestly say that if you wanted to, you could turn your back on flight and never again give an aircraft in flight more than a second glance? Even Hmmmm... came back (although I doubt many of your remember his leaving). In fact it was a single incident that got me hooked on flight, the same incident that grounded my father forever. A minor emergency, but it changed my life. And sexuality is very similar.

Am I making any sense?

Greg

Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:26 am

I just thinks its very strange the people 'come out' on forums that have nothing to do with sexuality. There was an interesting thread about this on the 'Site Forum' last year. Certainly, there is a better audience that will be more sympathetic...and appropriate for the topic.

Homophobe? Hardly...I serve as legal advisor for several local gay and lesbian charities (pssst....they let me do this because I'm gay..and, well..a great attorney!).

To We're Nuts: Change your name to "I'm Nuts". You couldn't be further from the truth.

todaReisinger

Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:52 am

I like to think of sexual preference being similar to your "favorite food". It isn't a choice, and it isn't preprogrammed at birth, but rather it is a result of your surroundings. And like it or not, we can all eat a raw onion - some people just like it more than others.

But really...are you serious????

Sometimes that which makes us unique is hard to understand. For instance, both of my parents hate flying, yet I love it. I wasn't born this way, and it isn't a choice. How many of you could honestly say that if you wanted to, you could turn your back on flight and never again give an aircraft in flight more than a second glance? Even Hmmmm... came back (although I doubt many of your remember his leaving). In fact it was a single incident that got me hooked on flight, the same incident that grounded my father forever. A minor emergency, but it changed my life. And sexuality is very similar.

Am I making any sense?

No, really not at all.

There are heterosexual persons who want to "try something different" or who may be influenced by some "friend" or so...but in most cases, homosexuality is far from a "choice".

BTW, if sexual orientation was merely a "choice" in the sense you describe...why the hell would so many homosexual people suffer and feel depressed about their situation? Why would so many young people commit suicide because they don't want to be gay or fear their families wouldn't accept them?
Have you ever tried to answer such a question...?

I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)

LHMark

Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:01 am

People come out where and when they're comfortable. It's a tribut to this forum that, despite all our worldly and cultural hostilities, we're enough of a brotherhood (and sisterhood) to make our members feel this comfortable.

That's the last sensitive thing I'm going to say tonight. Back to eighties cartoons from here on out. -Mark
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

We're Nuts

Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:09 am

I never said it was a choice. Are you even reading my posts? Here, I'll make it easy for you:

It isn't a choice -- and if that isn't enough:

For instance, both of my parents hate flying, yet I love it. I wasn't born this way, and it isn't a choice. How many of you could honestly say that if you wanted to, you could turn your back on flight and never again give an aircraft in flight more than a second glance? Even Hmmmm... came back (although I doubt many of your remember his leaving).

Get it?

Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:21 pm

Cfalk says:

"""Speak for yourself. I seriously doubt that most guys have looked at another guy's hairy ass with a hard-on.

Charles"""

Ummm, I don't know any guys with a hairy ass? Ugh! Most gay guys would have the decency to at least clip it... lol

Everyone,

Bignuts has a point, just about everyone would be bisexual if they were put in a situation of *same sex only*. You only have to look at prisons as a perfect example. The research and results from countless countries prove this, yet why are we unable to understand these facts?

People need human company and companionship, why do you think that these things happen in confined environments?

Hell, if there was only a woman left in the world I'd be onto her in a flash.. lol

mb

clowns=vomit

TWAL1011

Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:33 pm

I'm starting to get the feeling that Airliners.net is nothing more than a gay dating service with some airplanes and politics as a disguise.

We're Nuts

Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:54 pm

Why thank you MX5. You truly are fabulous!

174thfwff

Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:04 pm

Turbolet,
You have to accept the fact people aren't going to be supportive... after all, you did post it in a "free" forum.
-174th

TWAL1011

Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:06 pm

You have to accept the fact people aren't going to be supportive... after all, you did post it in a "free" forum.

And, France sucks.

Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:15 pm

TWAL1011,

Why do you say that? Why not congradulate the lad for coming out?

Or are you waiting to tell us that your secret closeted thing is about getting a kick out of a lubricated Centipede crawling all over your body?

Each to there own... lol

mb

clown=mimefilth

MD-90

Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:32 am

I think We're Nuts makes sense.

Shawn Patrick

Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:14 am

I'm with We're Nuts on this, I don't think sexuality is defined at birth.

First of all, when you were five years old, you didn't have a sexual orientation. You didn't care about boobs (imagine that!). So does your gayness or straightness (that you were supposedly born with) just lie dormant for those years before puberty, when sex hormones start to be produced? I doubt it.

I believe that it's a single experience or many small events that determine your sexuality, and that could surely be related to your surroundings. Usually that experience or event occurs at a young age, during puberty (when you actually start getting a sexual response to "external stimuli"...)

If you hit a puppy with a newspaper once, he'll be afraid of it for his whole life. He isn't born with a fear of newspapers... but that single traumatic experience brought about that fear. See what I'm saying?

Shawn

todaReisinger

Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:33 am

Bignuts has a point, just about everyone would be bisexual if they were put in a situation of *same sex only*. You only have to look at prisons as a perfect example. The research and results from countless countries prove this, yet why are we unable to understand these facts?

No, not "everyone would be bisexual if they were put in a situation of *same sex only*", and the example you give is pretty weird; it is a known fact, indeed, that prisoners are too often victims of sexual violence, but it doesn't mean the victim has become "bisexual".

And again: if sexual orientation was a simple question of taste (...we can all eat a raw onion - some people just like it more than others), why the hell would there be so many tragedies with young people feeling they are gay?

I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)

We're Nuts

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:13 am

why the hell would there be so many tragedies with young people feeling they are gay?

Because society kills them.

We're Nuts

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:31 am

1) If all people are bisexual (except most won't admit it), how did you come to the realisation that you were bisexual?
2) Seeing as you are bisexual, my only other question is, When are you coming to Perth?