mirrodie

What's The Difference B/w Johnny Walker Labels?

Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:29 am

I had an ex whose paretns owned a liquor store.

she told me that some bottles of johhny walker were over $100 depending on the label/

what are the intrinsic differnces b/w labels? Also, what are the prices?

just food for thought.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

prosa

RE: What's The Difference B/w Johnny Walker Labels?

Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:38 am

Johnn Walker Black Label is older and more expensive than Red Label. It's still a blend of different whiskies, however, rather than a "single malt" as more devoted Scotch fans prefer.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

airsicknessbag

RE: What's The Difference B/w Johnny Walker Labels

Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:49 am

Red Label: the basic version, so to speak. The Scotch with the highest market share worldwide. Contains up to 40 whiskies. ~13 EUR per 0.7 litre bottle

Black Label: heavier and more masculine. Contains over 40 whiskies all of which are at least 12 years old. ~22 EUR

Pure Malt: soft and rich, fresh. Contains only single malt whiskies, at least 15 years old. Higher alcohol level of 43%. ~35 EUR

Blue Label: Intensive, yet subtle. Tastes a bit like sherry. Composed of 16 single malt whiskies, some of which are over 30 years old. ~140 EUR

Gold Label: Light and honey-like.

Premier: Sweet, a bit salty. Very distinct malt taste.

Swing: Hmm, difficult to describe. Tasted it only once so far - strong and tastes of spices. I didn´t like it that much because of a somehow rotten taste, which some people call "grassy".

Red, Black and Blue Label (and to a certain extent Pure Malt) are the standard types. I´m sorry I have no idea about the prices of the other three since they´re not officially available here in Germany.

Hope this helps,

Daniel Smile

AWspicious

Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:10 am

Now I see why he chose Air Sickness Bag as his alias. DRINK MUCH?!!  Laugh out loud
Actually, that was very informative - Thank you very much. I sometimes buy a small bottle of the "Black" when I need a change from Brandy or rum. I'll have to keep an eye out for the other labels, though.

CHEERS!

aw
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

mirrodie

Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:26 pm

Wow, thanks for the excellent info!

So you pay the $$$ for the blue label stuff. wow!  Wow!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

airsicknessbag

RE: What's The Difference B/w Johnny Walker Labels

Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:27 am

>>>Now I see why he chose Air Sickness Bag as his alias. DRINK MUCH?!!

Hi, my name is Daniel, and I´m an alcoholic.  Laugh out loud No, not really. And, who´d get sick from Johnnie Walker? What a waste that would be Big grin

>>>So you pay the $$$ for the blue label stuff. wow!

Nah, something would be fundamentally wrong if a twenty-something would go buy Blue Label  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I got one bottle as a present some time ago, and I open it only on very VERY special occasions. It´s hopefully going to last a bit longer...

Daniel Smile

Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:23 pm

blue label in unavailable in the usa

srbmod

Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:40 am

I see Blue Label all the time here in the US. It runs about $150 a bottle at the liquor stores here in Atlanta. I've seen it at a few bars as well, runs about $15 a shot. I used to drink JW, but once I tried my first single malt scotch, I've never gone back.

Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:46 am

your right im wrong.

its green label. no green label in the states

tnnh