This was written by Sara, a friend of mine who went on a mission trip to Mexico on AEA Week last year (that's spring break to non-Alabama folks). She wrote this on April 3, 2002. These are some of her observations
1. The Easter bunny visits hotels.
2. The Cracker Barrel in Baton Rouge, esp. Roxanne, liked our rendition of shout to the Lord.
3. Even if it's not "hard labor" whatever work you're doing counts for something, despite what some people think. And yes, Small women can do "man" jobs.
4. The people in El Tanque enjoy you singing to yourself while you're doing something even if they can't understand the words.
5. By the end of the day you have dirt all up your nose and in your ears.
6. The dogs in El Tanque are mean.
7. Adobe is pretty much dried cow poop.
8. Hair driers will short out and make the plug catch on fire.
9. TIP JALE IS A FUN GAME!!!
10. There are a lot of punch bugs in Mexico.
11. If you buy a sombrero and wear it backwards people will laugh.
12. Trains make the doors rattle and shake during the night.
13. Mexico is not flat and there isn't a lot of bugs, with the exception of roley poleys.
14. The kids are GOOD at soccer.
15. Despite the fights, the trip brought everyone closer.
16. Adults like candy and jewelry too.
17. Mexican firecrackers are loud.
18. If your room is messy enough the maids won't even try to clean it.
19. The "girls porch" was the best thing ever invented.
20. Harold wakes up at like 4:00 everyday.
21. God loves everybody just the same.
22. If you show a little love to everybody you'll get more love in return.
23. If you wear sandals you're feet will get dirty.
24. Devotions change your whole perspective on the day.
25. The person that loves you should think you're beautiful under any circumstances, even if you have cow poop or paint on ur face.
26. The pastor's wife will get teary-eyed if you tell her you love her.
27. The trees by the school are fun to climb.
28. There was a lot of Hello Kitty stuff.
29. The flowers make pretty pictures.
30. Southern people trying to speak spanish sounds a lot like cussing.
31. Mirrors are unecessary 90% of the time.
32. Cold or not, you still got to take a shower.
33. IF you're white and not on a mission trip, chances are you're a peyote hunter.
34. Engines over heat a lot on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere.
35. The mexicans will laugh if you duck and cover your eyes during a dust storm.
36. The north star, or what we thought was the north star, is really in the east.
37. If you sing Jesus Loves Me enough, people get annoyed.
38. The bathroom door locks at Hotel Altoplano will cut a gash in your finger if you open it the wrong way.
39. If you walk from one side of the bedroom to the other without shoes, your feet will get dirty.
40. The iced tea was GOOD.
41. If you drive your first two wheels of the car over a speed bump then accelerate enough, the back of the van will fly up and you'll hit your head on the ceiling.
42. If Mexicans in a red pick-up whistle at you, run. (Right Lauren? lol)
43. Never sit on the toilet seats and always hold your breath b/c the bathrooms stink.
44. A lot more people than I thought come to me for help.
45. Kids there appreciate your help and love even if you can't really communicate well with them.
46. Clothes aren't really dirty until dirt falls off of them when you pick them up, or if your shirt now looks like a different color than how it was bought.
47. Long distance phone calls are EXPENSIVE.
48. There's a lot of checkpoints on the highways.
49. Even though the adobe bricks are heavier than they look, I CAN CARRY 2...yeah what now...
50. If 40 people are in a group all wearing the same bright orange tshirt, it's going to draw attention.
51. It's possible to fit 2 ppl in a Richard Scarey apple car.
52. Mexican ice cream, and lime icey things are good.
53. If you climb a cemetary wall and take pictures people are gonna look.
54. Estacion Catorce is truely in the boonies, and believe it or not El tanque and Santa Maria are even more out there.
55. We are truely blessed with what we have. We can flush the toilets, drink the water, drive over 20 mph without breaking the car, walk outside and our feet wouldn't get as dirty as they do walking inside of the hotel in Estacion Catorce, we can wear clean clothes everyday, we get showers everyday, we have so many entertainment sources and jewelry and so much music, and our roads are two lanes...these are only a few things that we have that they dont...just think about it.