flymia

When Every One Might Die At Once

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:19 am

It will happen the only question is when. There are rumors there is a asteroid heading for Earth and should strike in 2017. IT is said that the Russian and U.S. Goverment are planing ways to destroy it. It is better to have lots of small pieces then just one in my opinion. But the statement i am saying is even if this one dose not hit us which what i heard is 50/50 Humans will have to move to a new planet. Not just Mars but father in other Galaxys. if we want to stay alive. All goverments at one point in the Furture must work together to keep humans alive.
PS. Any one know any info on this acclaimd asteroid.
If small mammals survied the object that killed the Dinasours. Humans should survie anything. Unless the asteroid is as big as let say Main and hits land then we are all screwed.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

777236ER

RE: When Every One Might Die At Once

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:33 am

Are you joking....?

Breaking up an asteroid doesn't really help - all the bits are still heading towards us and the same amount of energy gets dumped into our atmosphere.

It will happen the only question is when

Hrmph, it's happened once in recent history.

There are rumors there is a asteroid heading for Earth and should strike in 2017

Wow, solving differential equations with that many variables that predict events 14 years in the future! How do you solve those, might I ask?

Not just Mars but father in other Galaxys. if we want to stay alive. All goverments at one point in the Furture must work together to keep humans alive.

Space, the final frontier and all that shit. In a few billion years when the sun dies, we're all dead anyway. Unless we've found a way out of the solar system.

If small mammals survied the object that killed the Dinasours. Humans should survie anything

Small mammals survived because they could adapt quicker. Humans, despite being sentient, aren't particularly self sufficient. Dump a human in a jungle and see how long he or she stays alive for. Humans have tended to lose the ability to adapt adequately.

Unless the asteroid is as big as let say Main and hits land then we are all screwed.

Woah, I believe you oh Ph.D master!
Your bone's got a little machine

UAL747

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:35 am

The 2017 asteriod was later proven to miss the Earth. Dude, you are on a dark cloud today. Whats up? Life not treating you right?

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

teahan

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:37 am

Quite frankly, if there was a real threat I trust they would not keep it secret so that everyone, or at least everyone with experience in that demesne could work towards a possible solution.

Did you ever wonder about the origin of the universe? What happened during big bang second 0? What happened before? I was never a great lover of science at school (or anywhere else) but I must say that I find it fascinating stuff. I guess just one of those thing we will never have an answer to.

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

777236ER

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:41 am

Teahan, A Brief History Of Time. It's the best book you want.

I did an aero engineering course at uni (and now I'm nowhere near aircraft. Crazy!) which isn't physics, but it's still science and I can still readily understand a lot of the physical and especially the mathematical concepts behind the laws of the universe. If you're upto a reasonable standard with physics (preferably touching on quantum theory) then that book is ideal if you want to delve further into the origin, history and fate of tne universe.

Rai

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:46 am

Well, if you're a conspiracy buff, then you've probably heard of Majestic 12. Their secret documents say that aliens are planning a worldwide invasion, with the purpose of exterminating the human species on the year 2030. A lot to look forward too!

777236ER

Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:49 am

If aliens had found a way to travel faster than the speed of light don't you think they'd have the technology to drop a few nukes in our atmosphere? That would be all that was needed. No messy invasion.

CMK10

Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:22 am

Nothing to fear, according to an article I read in this forum a few months ago, we're going to die in 2006 due to some plague or something.
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

UAL747

Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:34 am

Well, I guess the A380 will be shortlived if we all die in 2006.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

747-451

Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:41 am

"... When Every One Might Die At Once..."

If we're forced to listen to any more of Justin Timberlake's "singing" and high pitched voice....

AC320

Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:02 am

Great, first Lephron goes looney and now Flymia has become Mr. Doom-and-Gloom. I think its time Johan invested in an A.net psychiatrist, and a nice, secure, padded psychiatric forum.
fuddle duddle

teahan

Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:54 am

777236ER,

Thanks for the tip re that book. Will definitely try and pick it up one of these days.

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

We're Nuts

Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:58 am

Eventually the entire universe will be Lead, so nothing we do now really matters.
Dear moderators: No.

seb146

Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:18 pm

Haven't scientist concluded that the Mayan calender ends at 2012? Haven't they also reported all the celestial events predicted by the Mayans have come true? Till then, back to my *NSYNC poster...... Big grin
Life in the wall is a drag.

Illini_152

Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:37 pm

: 777236ER
Are you joking....?

Breaking up an asteroid doesn't really help - all the bits are still heading towards us and the same amount of energy gets dumped into our atmosphere.

Don't mean to pick nits here, but he is right about the breaking up. The smaller bits present more surface area as the enter the atmosphere, and more mass will burn off as it enters the atmosphere, and less mass will strike the actual surface. Think of it as an ice cube versus crushed ice, which melts quicker? Or imagine you're inside you're car and someone fires a shotgun at you through the door, what would be worse, a 12-gauge loaded with birdshot, or a slug?

Will it be bad? Yes, that energy still has to go somewhere, heating our atmosphere and numerous smaller impacts, but it would still be preferable to much more mass hitting the planet in one spot.

Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

Greg

Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:10 pm

Did you learn this at the University of Phoenix?

777236ER

Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:54 am

Less mass with strike the surface, but the same ENERGY will get dumped into the atmosphere. The net effect will be just as devastating. The energy has to go somewhere. A tiny fraction will be lost as heat but any explosion at altitude or the collective impacts will hurt the planet just as much as a single asteriod strike.

Your shotgun/pistol argument is flawed in that assuming the guns were equal, both projectiles, whether broken up or intact, would have the same energy.

jwenting

Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:04 am

Well, if you're a conspiracy buff, then you've probably heard of Majestic 12. Their secret documents say that aliens are planning a worldwide invasion, with the purpose of exterminating the human species on the year 2030. A lot to look forward too!

Well, after that asteroid in 2017 we're all dead anyway so who cares  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

If aliens had found a way to travel faster than the speed of light don't you think they'd have the technology to drop a few nukes in our atmosphere? That would be all that was needed. No messy invasion.

Or a few asteroids. Less messy, no fallout to clean up afterwards etc. (and you don't have to take your bombs with you, there's plenty of them right here in this solar system).

Nothing to fear, according to an article I read in this forum a few months ago, we're going to die in 2006 due to some plague or something.

Probably a conspiracy between the alien invaders and the CIA to take over the world  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Don't mean to pick nits here, but he is right about the breaking up. The smaller bits present more surface area as the enter the atmosphere, and more mass will burn off as it enters the atmosphere, and less mass will strike the actual surface.

Depends on how small the bits are. If each bit is still larger than the asteroid that caused the Tunguska event, we could be worse off with many smaller hits than one biggy.
As with bombs, many small strikes are worse than a single huge strike. More dirt and water vapour thrown into the atmosphere etc. Just the initial craters will all be a bit smaller but that's only the initial superficial damage. The real trouble starts afterwards from the tidal waves and climate change and those will be worse with multiple ELE type strikes.
I wish I were flying

Boeing4ever

Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:59 am

Humans should survie anything. Unless the asteroid is as big as let say Main and hits land then we are all screwed.

Could you at least spell M-A-I-N-E correctly?  Insane

B4e-Forever New Frontiers