lehpron

IE6: "error Reporting" Virus?

Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:42 am

What happened in the past 5 days? Utter chaos.

We thought it was a small bug, but it soon spread all over the computer. It got worse up to yesterday, to the point where we could not get on the Internet or use any of the programs at all. Like if we wanted to rename a file, a window displaying an error had occurred and suggested we should report it. No matter what we did, send or not send, it was like we hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and cancelled the program.

First we did a virus scan, a defragmentation and then a system restore; the problem went away and came back within hours. We uninstalled a few programs and did another scan and another defrag AND we've tried to install critical updates thinking Microsoft has had them there. Nothing. Then I went into the control panel and disabled the "error reporting" option -- the computer was back to normal and we isolated the problem to IE6. Now we cannot go type stuff into search engines or enter data into those kinds of websites, it brings up that error report window and IE6 leaves.

Some people have suggested us to reinstall IE6...I'm skeptical...what do you think?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

gotAirbus

RE: IE6: "error Reporting" Virus?

Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:45 am

First we did a virus scan, a defragmentation and then a system restore; the problem went away and came back within hours.

I see you are using Windows XP. It uses the "Error Reporting" function to replace Windows 9x "Illegal Operation".

Things to consider doing:
- Doing a virus scan would check for viruses...duh.

- A virus CAN hide in the "system restore" files (and also, what you've backed up on a CD-R or RW). Think that the virus will be gone when you do a system restore? Nope...you've written what's in "system restore" to the hard drive with the virus piggy-backing on it.

- Do a clean install of Windows: Doing so erases the hard drive and installs a fresh copy of Windows.
(Warning! Before you erase the hard drive, you have to make sure your Windows XP Box says "For computers without Windows")

BTW, I haven't heard of people trying to uninstall IE6.

(gotAirbus?)
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)