Rai
Topic Author

South Korean Women Killed By US Army Vehicle...

Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:49 am

Here is the article. I should also add that the woman was blind (according to the Korea Times) and that the driver went through a red light (also according to the Korea Times). Sickening, huh? Another example of those foolish American soldiers overstepping their boundaries. No wait...The vehicle, driven by a South Korean national. Interesting!

What's the point of this? Not to rush to conclusions and to illustrate the hypocrisy of some people's views. I wonder why the aren't any protests against South Korean drivers in Seoul right now? Any of you who have been there know how terrible driving conditions are...

Rai
Topic Author

RE: South Korean Women Killed By US Army Vehicle...

Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:54 am

Title should be "South Korean WomAn...", not "WomEn". I'm having an off-day today.  Smile But hey, at least I acknowledge my mistake!  Smile

Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:11 am

doesn't matter. you know as well as me lou, anti-americanism is the coolest thing going.

airworthy

Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:18 am

But their tune changed once North Korea stepped up the war talk, now the USA isn't so bad.

KROC

Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:02 am

I saw more than a few people mowed down by cars in my 13 months in Korea. I had to dive out of the way several times of cars drving on the goddamn sidewalk!!!!!

aa61hvy

Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:23 am

I'm glad you included that it was driven by a Korean. I'm sure some of the members on here (you know who you are) would automatically jump to the conclusion that the Americans are doing this, and the Americans are doing that, and the Americans shouldn't be there... blah blah blah
Go big or go home

pacificjourney

Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:40 am

Just what is it with Asians and driving ????? Why are they so horribly bad at it ????

Once China starts having more private vehicle ownership we won't have to worry about world over population as they will surely slaughter each other in huge numbers.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:52 am

I knew someone would say that.

Why are you living in a asian country then? Dumbass
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Pacjourn

Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:52 am

loveley thought  Insane

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:54 am

Oh yea, I see white people drive worst. Why is that?

UAL747

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:01 am

Honestly,

Here in the US, I've noticed that a lot of Asian drivers ARE terrible drivers. I have no idea why. Of course white people are gonna look like the worst, 'cause there are more of us.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:07 am

Maybe its the first time they are driving. Of course you dont know many of them.

pacificjourney

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:12 am

David B and all. I like to think I'm not prone to generalisations, racial or otherwise, but this is one that I just can't ignore or explain.

As you point out I live in an Asian country and have done for 7 years. Japanese drivers are awful, what can I say ?

They don't/can't drive far or fast yet die in huge numbers and all I can put it down to is some attempt to overthrow the laws of physics and put at least 2 vehicles where only one can be.

Koreans, if anything are even worse !

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:17 am

David B and all. I like to think I'm not prone to generalisations, racial or otherwise, but this is one that I just can't ignore or explain.

As you point out I live in an Asian country and have done for 7 years. Japanese drivers are awful, what can I say ?

They don't/can't drive far or fast yet die in huge numbers and all I can put it down to is some attempt to overthrow the laws of physics and put at least 2 vehicles where only one can be.

Koreans, if anything are even worse !

Nice observation Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

Every drive in NYC traffic on a weekday? See how NYC drivers are.

I bet asians here can beat your sorry ass any day.

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:20 am

Whites are I see it as are the worst of them all. How do you feel now?

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:21 am

Just what is it with Asians and driving ????? Why are they so horribly bad at it ????

Once China starts having more private vehicle ownership we won't have to worry about world over population as they will surely slaughter each other in huge numbers.

Once again, classic! Some people here can't take a fucking joke.

David B., what planet are you from? Have you ever been to Asia? Have you ever seen the way they drive there? It's scary! Especially in Korea and China! South Korea has the highest traffic deaths per capita of all developed countries. Last year they had over 8000 and this is a country with 45 million people.

And you're from New York, right? What street do you think has the highest pedestrian fatality rate in the city? It's not Queens Boulevard. It is Canal St. Driving there is horrendous. Northern Boulevard, especially around Flushing is also terrible. And I live in Jackson Heights. There are a lot of Koreans, Indians, Chinese and Filipinos in my neighborhood and you have to be careful on the road. I don’t by that “first time” driving argument at all.

pacificjourney

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:23 am

What ? Just telling it how it is ....

Driven in NYC many times, piece of cake !

Americans are good and courteous drivers (compared to most other places), have you ever driven in Japan/Korea/etc ?

Let's not blame the small roads either. The UK has far more crowded roads, drive really fast and yet have far lower road tolls (and yes I've driven there as well).

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:28 am

Once again, classic! Some people here can't take a fucking joke.

David B., what planet are you from? Have you ever been to Asia? Have you ever seen the way they drive there? It's scary! Especially in Korea and China! South Korea has the highest traffic deaths per capita of all developed countries. Last year they had over 8000 and this is a country with 45 million people.

And you're from New York, right? What street do you think has the highest pedestrian fatality rate in the city? It's not Queens Boulevard. It is Canal St. Driving there is horrendous. Northern Boulevard, especially around Flushing is also terrible. And I live in Jackson Heights. There are a lot of Koreans, Indians, Chinese and Filipinos in my neighborhood and you have to be careful on the road. I don’t by that “first time” driving argument at all.

Get your head out of your fucking ass. That joke was not funny. Second, Queens BLVD. has the highest death. Have you seen all the trucks on Canal.
Thousands of trucks a day. I don't buy this "asians can't drive" shit one bit. The asians I know can outdrive your ass any day.

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:30 am

Driven in NYC many times, piece of cake

Try saying that when people never stop for red lights, give people the right of way, cut you off, tailgate. All of the vehicles are taxis, buses, trucks.

ILOVEA340

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:31 am

Just to make it clear. I for one (and I think I am speaking for many) am not anti-american. America is a great country with many great people. Its just that I come no where close to agreement with our government policies.

pacificjourney

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:33 am

I think you've put your finger on it David B .... Asians ... small penis, big car, me faster than you, penis suddenly bigger ...

It's transportation man, not a contest !

pacificjourney

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:36 am

Dave B says,

Try saying that when people never stop for red lights, give people the right of way, cut you off, tailgate. All of the vehicles are taxis, buses, trucks.

Thanks, that's Japan all day, everyday, everywhere ! New York is easy !

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:40 am

I give up. Too bad it doesn't make your head bigger.

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:42 am

Yes. Queens Boulevard does have a high fatality rate. But that’s because of all the old Bags in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens who can’t cross the road quickly enough. Canal Street is even worse and it’s not because of the old people. Yeah, I know how bad Canal and the traffic that goes on there because I used to work on Hudson Street. And what about Northern Boulevard and Flushing roads in general (especially Main St.)? The traffic is horrendous! I live pretty close to Flushing and go there often, so I know what goes down.

Dude, driving in NYC isn’t THAT bad! Have you ever driven in Atlanta? Toronto? Seattle? L.A.? Seoul? Those places have much worse driving and drivers. Especially Seoul. You see, I actually did drive there this past summer and, I must say, it was the scariest driving experience I had ever gone through! The roads are congested beyond belief and the drivers follow no rules, if they have any. I drove from Seoul to Daejeon (a small Korean city in the middle of the country) and probably saw more fragrant examples of recklessness on the road in an hour than I’ve ever seen in the 2+ years of living in NYC. Every five minutes, it was like one driver was trying to outdo the other in outrageous and careless driving acts. The worst was this big rig that kept swerving from lane to lane, cutting just about everyone off. And the roads in Korea are of American standard (i.e. width). The highway signs are even the same.

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:43 am

One more thing...Seoul to Daejeon is about 120KM. It took me five (yes FIVE) hours to get there.

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:45 am

Yes. Queens Boulevard does have a high fatality rate. But that’s because of all the old Bags in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens who can’t cross the road quickly enough.

Now If you people would wait for those old people to cross, theat wouldn't happen would it? And the rest, it sounds like most Americans cities in the US.

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:04 am

I lived in Astoria before moving to Jackson Heights. Both neighborhoods are essentially the same in terms of crowding, streets, shops, etc. Traffic in Jackson Heights is much worse than Astoria. Wonder why?

By the way, have you ever been to Asia? If you haven't, you have no right to talk about driving there.

[Edited 2003-01-24 03:08:11]

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:18 am

People. A lot of people. Trucks, cars, buses, taxis. I go there all the time.

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:19 am

Being the racist that you are, Im sure you would block all asians from driving.

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:33 am

Racist? Me? Sure. I think everyone is racist and I'm not going to deny that I'm not, but at least I'm being honest.

Do I have something against Asians? No. My ex-girlfriend was Korean and most of my closest friends are of Asian decent. I go there every year. I was in Korea to go to my best friend's wedding. He's Korean, if you wanted to know. He's actually a good driver (and I know other Asians that can drive pretty well too), but even he admits that most Asians can't drive. My ex surly couldn't.

I don't think of Asians in a lesser light, but from what I see in my neighborhood and from what I saw in Asia, I think calling most of them poor drivers is a fair assessment.

So, if calling someone who doesn't agree with you a "racist" is the best you can do when you’re backed into a corner, I feel sorry for you. What’s with this “white guilt”?

P.S. If you’ve really been to Asia, then you’d know that they don’t necessarily think of whites in the best of terms.

UAL747

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:37 am

David.......whoa there buddy, don't get your panties in a wad. No one here is being racist. If you can't see that, then you probably can't see your pecker either. (i.e. you must be blind).

I've been in Asia many times, and it is indeed scary. Driving capabilities have nothing to do with any Asian's worth as a purpose. Let's get that straight. People say that Americans are loud cowboys, etc. etc.

Take a Zanax and come back in about 30 min my friend.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

UAL747

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:39 am

whoops, should read "worth as a person" not "worth as a purpose"

UAL747

aa61hvy

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:42 am

I was in Hong Kong the drivers seem fine to me. As for you two bitching about driving, I bet both you guys think you are God's gift to driving. Shut up, about race and get back to the topic!
Go big or go home

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:44 am

I bet both you guys think you are God's gift to driving.

Not at all. I hate driving and I avoid it if I can. I'm not even a good driver, but I can recognize a bad one if I see one...

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:48 am

After seeing what PJ, RIA and you wrote, how can I not? No one is being racist? You must be blind.

Do I have something against Asians? No. My ex-girlfriend was Korean and most of my closest friends are of Asian decent. I go there every year. I was in Korea to go to my best friend's wedding. He's Korean, if you wanted to know. He's actually a good driver (and I know other Asians that can drive pretty well too), but even he admits that most Asians can't drive. My ex surly couldn't.

I don't think of Asians in a lesser light, but from what I see in my neighborhood and from what I saw in Asia, I think calling most of them poor drivers is a fair assessment.

I feel sorry anyone who has a friend like you. So, lets say a black guy calling white people racist is a fair assessment?

UAL747

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:48 am

I tend to agree with the original poster of the topic on the subject. They can complain about US forces all they want when they do something wrong, but when the shoe is on the other foot, you get nothing. I hope this post is read by the "usual" crowd.

UAL747

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:49 am

David.......whoa there buddy, don't get your panties in a wad. No one here is being racist. If you can't see that, then you probably can't see your pecker either. (i.e. you must be blind).

Try rereading PJ and Ria's post. Tell me how that is not racist.

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:51 am

Yea, they all look asian Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

UAL747

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:53 am

Give it up David, no one gives a shit anymore....

aa61hvy

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:56 am

Good call UAL747, who cares about peckers and crap of that nature...
Go big or go home

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:00 pm

Well, you, PJ and Ria did.

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:05 pm

I don't see how calling Asians bad drivers is racist. Generalization? Sure. Racist? You must be kidding! If I really didn't like Asians, I certainly wouldn't be living in New York, let alone Jackson Heights! If I move from this neighborhood, it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it's primarily Asian.

Like I asked before, what is with this "white guilt"? Why are you so ashamed of being white?

pacificjourney

Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:12 pm

You all know it's not as simple as American driver = big fuss, Korean driver = no fuss.

The driver in this car will be dealt with in Korean courts by Korean law, a US soldier driving would not be. THAT is the issue they protest about.

David B I don't have a car, rather a motorbike so you fucking bet I'm sensitive to all the idiots around here

PS

World's scariest drivers ... Ukraine ! I don't even want to be in a car as a passenger and walk down the street with eyes in the back of my head.

Rai
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:22 pm

I don't have a car, rather a motorbike

Hot Rod!  Smokin cool

The driver in this car will be dealt with in Korean courts by Korean law, a US soldier driving would not be. THAT is the issue they protest about.

I do not agree with that. The man (or most likely his employer) will make some form of payment to the family (that is usually the case with traffic-related fatalities in South Korea) and that will be it. He won't go to jail and he won't see a day in court or jail.

I also disagree with the nature of the protests -- they are nothing short of blatant racism, pure and simple. They protest about everything. Remember when Apollo Ohno won the gold medal in the Winter Games? There were "anti-American" protests all over the place. They even dubbed the event "Ohnogate". Has absolutely NOTHING to do with being dealt with in a Korean court.

And if David B wants to know what "real racism" is, I suggest he travel to Seoul and try walking down a busy street with a local girl. Heaven help you if she is your girlfriend.

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:56 pm

Trying to downplay your idiotic stance? Pathetic.

tbar220

RE: South Korean Women Killed By US Army Vehicle..

Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:28 pm

Give it up David B.

Where's a scary country to drive? Israel. Good lord the drivers there are nuts, especially the taxi drivers. I guess they're in a rush to get off the road real quick  Laugh out loud
NO URLS in signature

david b.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:21 pm

Tbar220m when someone saids something bad about Jews, try not to say anything. See how you feel. If your offended, "Give it up".

pacificjourney

Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:30 am

Jews ? They can't drive either, ha !

tbar220

RE: South Korean Women Killed By US Army Vehicle..

Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:31 am

No, if somebody said something true about Jews, than I wouldn't be offended. If they were being racist, then I would be offended. But nobody is being racist here, and nobody is making any negative comments. People are stating fact here! Its not like you can put blinders up to these comments. I haven't been to Korea or Japan, but I'm gonna take the people's word who live there.
NO URLS in signature

N79969

Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:42 am

So people in ROK have backed off the anti-Americanism?