USAFHummer
Topic Author

Non US Peeps: Did You Watch The Super Bowl?

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:10 am

Hello,

The Super Bowl is the worlds most watched annual sporting event, I think last year something like 800,000,000 viewers from pretty much every country tuned in to watch it...so, knowing that a.net is a giant melting pot of different nations and cultures, I ask those of you who are not from the US (or Canada for that matter), did you watch the Super Bowl?

If so, knowing that American Football isn't exactly a huge sport in any other country besides...say...America...any questions about the game we can help you with?

Greg

PS If you are from the US or Canada please dont reply to say you watched it...Im looking for any nations but those to reply, thanks...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

EGGD

RE: Non US Peeps: Did You Watch The Super Bowl?

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:19 am

no..................................

777236ER

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:22 am

No
Your bone's got a little machine

aloges

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:24 am

I didn't even know it would be on 'til I read those posts in this forum. You've just really said why I didn't watch it: AmeriFoot is not exactly a huge sport in Germany, and I don't even give that much about watching EuroFoot. So no reason for me to watch it.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:51 am

Given that a number of people equivalent to almost 3x the population of the US, and Canada's fairly small population watch the game, obviously a ton of "foreigners" watch it for some reason...

Greg

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:56 am

No
In Arsene we trust!!

ryanb741

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:57 am

I watched it last night. It's actually quite a good sport - much more tactical than I thought, although rugby is more vicious.

I wouldn't mind watching some more games - it's pretty good fun. The raiders' defense sucked big time in the 1st half.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

scottysair

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:08 am

Yes, I did watch the t.v. last night for myself until almost 10:30pm. So everything is doing good for myself. Thanks for telling me with your answer questions, Greg!

Regards!

Scott W.

pacificjourney

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:04 am

Couldn't sleep last night with tooth ache so watched a replay on NHK. looked like a blow out as usual but entertaining enough.

" The Super Bowl is the worlds most watched annual sporting event, I think last year something like 800,000,000 viewers from pretty much every country tuned in to watch it "

I don't think so !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:07 am

It is...The World Cup is the most watched sporting event (I forget the statistic but its well in the billions) but thats only every 4 years...Ill try to get that source...maybe the numbers are a little off but I am 95% the Super Bowl is the most watched annual sporting event...

Greg

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:08 am

There ya go RyanB! Ruggers ARE more vicious... I'm a rugger!
Go big or go home

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:27 am

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/arc/13097/sbprev111.html heres a source for Super Bowl 31, which was 6 years ago...Ill quote the relevant part:

"Television Audience: 138,000,000-plus households in the United States and 800,000,000 international viewers in more than 187 countries."

-name me a single game annual event other than this that gets more viewers anywhere in the world? Pretty tough...

ATM I cant really find anything else but I wasnt searching too hard...

Greg

pacificjourney

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:33 am

All I can say is that I don't know anyone other than Nth Americans who actually go out of there way to watch it so I seriously doubt those numbers.

How are they arrived at exactly ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Alpha 1

Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:32 pm

Of course you doubt those numbers, PJ, because it bugs the shit out of you that an American sport could draw so many people. Doubt it all you want, PJ, but go find something to back up YOUR claim, instead.

It really gets boring hearing you get so damned irritated each year the Super Bowl is on, and you can't back your assertions that no one outside the U.S. watches it.

Just because you don't watch it, pal, doesn't mean others don't. In other words, the world don't revolve around you.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:52 pm

Guys,

Nope, didn't watch it but I think it was on one of the cable channels. Not sure. They only mentioned it in the local news because of the nasty riot the Oaklanders caused after they lost soo spectacularly.

Cheers,

mb

[Teddy Likes To Watch]

gkirk

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:16 pm

Nope didnt watch it. Didnt know anything about it, and if I did, I still wouldnt have watched it.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:24 pm

and i don't think i'd watch it either
In Arsene we trust!!

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:50 pm

-name me a single game annual event other than this that gets more viewers anywhere in the world? Pretty tough...

The Hong Kong Rugby Sevens finals has an audience of some 2 billion people. An annual event.

What you have to remember is that the figures the NFL provides, i.e. 800 million, is very much skewed. Does anyone really think that 1/8 of the world watched the Super Bowl?

Working on that, some 25 million people in Indonesia watched it, 25 million in Nigeria watched it, 187 million in China watched it.

The NFL states that nearly 200 million people in America alone watched it. It is a figure I find very hard to believe. Think about it.

It is all figures which are done for marketing purposes.

But in terms of annual audience for a single game, it would be the Hong Kong Rugby 7 finals.

And as to whether I watched the SuperBowl? Nah, I slapped some paint on a wall and watched it dry  Wink/being sarcastic

Mx5_Boy...it was covered down here by SBS, which goes to show how many people would have actually watched it  Laugh out loud

Soren-a

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:14 pm

Hi

I like American football, and I watched the Super Bowl, although it wasn't over until 4 in the morning. Great match with lots of good plays and tackles/sacks.

Regards
Søren Augustesen (I live in Denmark)

eg777er

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:41 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if what the NFL say is that there are 800 million people able to watch the Superbowl.....i.e. it's carried on cable, satellite systems with 800 million potential subscribers. It's a common marketing ploy in the television industry.

I didn't watch it, and noone I know did either.

jwenting

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:40 pm

Some reporters here were making fun about US people getting so obsessed with Superbowl night.

Then a sports reporter (whom they'd hired to tell a bit about the event) stepped in and compared it to our own big sporting events for which people get even more hyped up and they went very quiet.
(numbers mentioned 50% of Americans watched Superbowl, but 90% of people here watched a skating event a few years ago for example).

The match itself didn't make it on TV here I think. Wouldn't have understood the first thing about it anyway, rules are a complete mystery to me.
I wish I were flying

BNE

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:44 pm

Yes I watched the 3/4 of the game while reading a book, there are so many stoppages in the game, if a good play comes up they will repeat it and then I took a little more interest.

800,000,000 those figures would have to be bull, as it was on around 6pm Pacifc most of Europe would be sleeping, not really many people in Australia, or New Zealand, for Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Korea, Monday would be a work day so they wouldn't be watching.

The main reason I watched it was because it was a holiday.

Would China have 200 million TVs.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

Alpha 1

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:01 pm

What you have to remember is that the figures the NFL provides, i.e. 800 million, is very much skewed. Does anyone really think that 1/8 of the world watched the Super Bowl?

Again, prove the numbers are skewed, Avitsiya? Prove it, if you can? The figures are out there-go find some that contradict them. Then maybe I'll do more than laugh at you guys who can't stand that American football has some popularity worldwide.  Laugh out loud

racko

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:10 pm

I wanted to watch it, but I was too tired to stay up. I think the game ended at 4AM CET  Sad

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:14 pm

Alpha 1

I am not saying that American football isn't popular in certain markets around the world. If that is the case, more power to the game. I just don't like it is all. I like a fast moving game, not one in which a player runs 10 metres and then has to have a 2 minute rest afterwards  Laugh out loud

But you tell me this.

What is the population of your country?

The NFL says that 200 million people watched the game.

50% of your country is women. How many of those would be interested in the game?
What about all of those people who were working at the time?
Don't forget also that in your country's population is how many babies and young kids who would not watch?

Like I said, the NFL can say that 10 billion people watched the SuperBowl. Doesn't make it true.

What the NFL would be trying to say is that it has a potential audience of some 800 million people. And like I said, the Hong Kong Rugby 7s Final has a higher potential audience, and probably also a bigger actual audience (particularly as it is beamed right throughout Asia, in particular China).

737doctor

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:15 pm

But in terms of annual audience for a single game, it would be the Hong Kong Rugby 7 finals.

What in the heck is that? It's the first I've ever heard of it. And for those of you that refused to watch the Super Bowl, at least I had an open mind and gave your beloved World Cup a chance last year. I'll reserve my comments on that event, so as not to offend.  Laugh out loud
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

LHMark

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:03 am

Actually, I work in the advertising business, and we get very detailed demographic information on who watches the Super Bowl. 60% of American women watch the game. -Mark
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Sabena332

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:08 am

I did not watch it because the game started too late and I had to work on the next Morning. When I was a student I watched every Super Bowl because I had enough time to sleep on the next day (time for me to go back to university  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Alpha 1

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:20 am

50% of your country is women. How many of those would be interested in the game?

A lot of women love football. My wife is a football fan. Watch a game once, and see how many women are in the stands. There's a lot of them. I don't see what your point is on that account.

What about all of those people who were working at the time?

Not a whole hell of a lot of people work at 6pm on a Sunday night.  Smile

Like I said, the NFL can say that 10 billion people watched the SuperBowl. Doesn't make it true.

Conversely, you saying that 800 million don't watch it doesn't make THAT true, either. It works both ways. At least the NFL provides some figures. I don't see you doing so to counter that argument.

Point is, that, of all the sports in the U.S., Americans are more passionate about football than any other sport. I once attened a Browns-Raiders playoff game in 1981: the game-time temperature was -5 F, with a wind-chill of -55 F. It wa brutal, but there were 79,000 people in those stands. That is kind of nuts, no doubt, but it shows the passion that Americans have for the game. The next year, in Cincinnati, the Bengals and the San Diego Chargers played for the AFC Championship with a game-time temperature of -13, and a wind chill approchaing -65 F. The stands were filled. Again, it's nuts, but it shows the depth of the passion Americans have for the game.

For most of us, it's a hell of a lot more exciting than watching soccer, which is a bunch of guys running around, doing not much of anything. But that's our opinion, as a whole. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy soccer, but it does no good to denigrate what we see as a fierce, exciting sport.

airsicknessbag

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:25 am

N o

n949wp

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:28 am

Nope. Didn't watch it. Knew it was available on one of the many channels of the local cable TV but I wouldn't bother.

Sports promoters the world over had a nasty habit of hyping the popularity of their series way out of proportions. No doubt the magic figures given by the NFL and the Rugby Sevens were gross exaggerations, if not outright mis-representations. Similarly wild figures are frequently thrown around by the various motor racing series with regard to their TV audience numbers. But who could blame them! With the countless millions at stake in advertising dollars, it's their duty to hype it all up, or they'll be out of a job soon.

'949

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:34 am

Conversely, you saying that 800 million don't watch it doesn't make THAT true, either. It works both ways. At least the NFL provides some figures. I don't see you doing so to counter that argument.

I have done exactly the same as the NFL; i.e. picked a number out of the air.  Laugh out loud

Last year's Hong Kong 7s final was estimated by the IRB to have had a worldwide television audience of between 1.5-2 billion people. There are figures on the IRB website, which I gave USAFhummer a link to a while ago when he was asking the question about the most watched sporting event.

Actually, I work in the advertising business, and we get very detailed demographic information on who watches the Super Bowl. 60% of American women watch the game.

It is the advertising business I believe does a lot of the inflating of the figures. By telling a potential advertiser that they will reach 200 million Americans during the SuperBowl (which is over 70% of the total population), only then are they able to charge some $4 million per 30 second spot during the telecast.  Wink/being sarcastic

lapper

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:47 am

No, I only watch FOOTBALL

prosa

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:50 am

It is the advertising business I believe does a lot of the inflating of the figures. By telling a potential advertiser that they will reach 200 million Americans during the SuperBowl (which is over 70% of the total population), only then are they able to charge some $4 million per 30 second spot during the telecast

Some of the people who watch the Super Bowl do so mainly to watch the advertisements! Rates for commercials during the game are extremely high, as you noted, and most advertisers put on their best efforts. As a result, many of the ads are quite entertaining, more so than the game itself as far as many T viewers are concerned.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

737doctor

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:00 am

For most of us, it's a hell of a lot more exciting than watching soccer, which is a bunch of guys running around, doing not much of anything. But that's our opinion, as a whole. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy soccer, but it does no good to denigrate what we see as a fierce, exciting sport.

Bravo Alpha 1! Well said!

BTW, here's the Nielsen ratings for the Super Bowl:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-tvratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

138,000,000 American viewers, or 40.7 share.

Alpha 1

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:17 am

Lapper, I watch real football: men who aren't afraid to hit each other, and who don't cry to the referee whenever there is contact, like in your "football".

I watch football where there's actually scoring on occaison-not that boring sport that goes 1-nil, and everyone says what a great match it was.

Again, if you enjoy it, that's cool. But Americans, as a whole, find "football" dull. I'll take a good clean, jarring hit on a wide receiver cutting over the middle any day, and bouncing right up to look his assailant right in the eye, with a smile on his face, over some crybaby being tripped up and midfield, and acting like he just suffered a coronary.

corocks

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:11 am

You also have to figure that the 138,000,000 number is low. That is not the number of viewers, but the number of viewers homes. I think that this does not include all the parties where there is more than 1 family and sports bars where many people gather to watch the game.

My wife and mother have no interest in football, but they still watch the super bowl every year. (probably for the commercials though)

777236ER

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:14 am

Lapper, I watch real football: men who aren't afraid to hit each other, and who don't cry to the referee whenever there is contact, like in your "football".

I watch football where there's actually scoring on occaison-not that boring sport that goes 1-nil, and everyone says what a great match it was.

What does rugby have to do with anything...?

Your bone's got a little machine

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:28 am

"American football" is the North American version of rugby.
Baseball is the North American version of rounders.

Although i'm baffled as to why it's called "football" when it's played with the hand?
In Arsene we trust!!

737doctor

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:38 am

You also have to figure that the 138,000,000 number is low. That is not the number of viewers, but the number of viewers homes.

No, according the the article, that's the number of viewers:

Sunday night's lopsided game was no different, watched by 137.65 million viewers, the second-most in history for the NFL's championship game.

For those interested, BusinessWeek recently featured an cover story about the business side of the NFL. Here's the link:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_04/b3817001.htm

Banco

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:46 am

We discussed this 800 million figure a while back. I think (though I'm not certain) that we came to the conclusion that it was beamed to a potential audience of 800 million worldwide, rather than it being that number that watched it. I think it was KROC who did the research on it, because we were discussing the often hugely inflated numbers that often are quoted by organisations to try to hype the interest. As I recall, I think the same method was used with other events - the football World Cup final was given a figure of something like 3 billion which is patently ludicrous, popular it might be, but half the world actually watching? It seems unlikely. It's the same here. You can get to 800 million fairly easily if you look at the list of countries who take the feed and their population sizes, but they are unlikely to have high viewing figures.

KROC, where are you when I need you?! Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

bmi330

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:03 am

the most watch anual sporting event is there formula 1 world championship. Is the champions leauge final not bigger than the supperbowl everyone everywhere exept the americans watches it. Still watched the superbowl but.

gkirk

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:08 am

American Football = Rugby, but for women, wearing all those pads and all that crap...tut tut, bunch of women.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

airplay

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:19 am

Again, prove the numbers are skewed, Avitsiya? Prove it, if you can?

What an idiotic statement. It appears that the onus is on you Alpha1. When you pull a number out of your ass, be prepared to wipe it off...

Yes....I've witnessed this sort of thing before. Americans don't feel entertained unless someone is bleeding or on fire. Simple explosions work too and if you can fit a car chase in there somewhere...they are in heaven! You don't need any substance, just just overfed overhyped overpaid hippos beating the crap out of each other. Oh yah. And BEER. Lots of beer and chips to stuff in your face while you sit on the couch and build a new wasteline. Hey I said the like to "watch". Not participate...that would hurt too much!

Did I watch the superbowl? Nope. I didn't pay attention to the World Cup either for that matter. Why are these stupid statistics important anyway? Why not just ask how many hours you spend on the couch in a week. The US would win for sure!

toady

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:26 am

No. Didn't know it was on. Didn't know it was televised here - was it?

I've nothing against the game - I've watched a few games (some televised, one for 'real' at Soldier Field) during visits to the US - but like the overwhelming majority of Brits, the game means nothing to me and it doesn't excite me.

It's all too easy for us rugger types to mock American Footballers for all their padding, helmets, etc etc but bear in mind that although the 2 sports are outwardly similar in many ways, there are also vast differences in the way they are played and the aims.
Give American Football a chance - see it for what it is, don't make too many comparisons to Rugby & enjoy the spectacle!!

[Edited 2003-01-28 19:28:59]

KAUSpilot

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:26 am

When you have a 350 pound black man running at you full steam prepared to level every ounce of his energy into your skull, trust me, pads and helmets are necessary to prevent death.

airplay

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:32 am

When you have a 350 pound black man running at you full steam prepared to level every ounce of his energy into your skull, trust me, pads and helmets are necessary to prevent death.

Does the fact that he's black make him a threat? Or is it the weight? You didn't clarify......

I suppose if he was white AND a cop it would be pretty scary too....

silverfox

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:32 am

Yes, then put it on vid and checked in the morning to see if it worth watching.
Oh and did anyone else hear that twat John Madden say it was the World CHAMPIONSHIP, like every other country that lays gridiron can get invited. What a tosser!!!

B747-437B

Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:22 am

800 million is not particularly impressive.

Wait for the India-Pakistan matchup in the Cricket World Cup and expect well over 1 billion to tune in to that.

It is impossible to accurately measure the number of people who watch cricket in the Indian subcontinent because so much of the viewing takes place communally - on the only TV set in the village for example. But I can assure you that at least 80% of the population will watch part of the India-Pakistan game.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

KAUSpilot

Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:41 am

350 pound white man (or cop if you like) can be scary too, just usually not as fast. More speed means a harder hit.