USAFHummer
Topic Author

Iron Chef...love It Or Hate It?

Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:59 am

Hello,

Im rapidly finding myself sinking deeper into the world of that Food Network TV show "Iron Chef"...Im assuming youve all heard of it...if not, basically, its a Japanese cooking game show to sum it up in the "Evelyn Wood" version...

Just wondering how other people feel about the show?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

I LOVE EWR

RE: Iron Chef...love It Or Hate It?

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:01 am

One of the best shows on TV without a doubt.

Olympic A-340

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:09 am

It is an AWESOME SHOW! Unfortunately, many times I find myself asking, "Are these guys serious!?" (What the hell does chairman kaga wear all the time haha)

concorde1518

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:19 am

If memory serves me right, I follow Iron Chef like many do Football. It has to be one of the best shows ever created. For more information, I suggest http://www.ironchef.com as it will answer many questions. For example, yes, Kaga is a character, and is really a stage actor, he really isn't a crazy millionaire. My favorite Iron Chef is Hiroyuki Sakai, and I make sure I catch (and tape) EVERY battle on Fridays and Saturdays at 10 on Food Network... Around here, I started the Iron Chef Revolution and have made everyone I know into a fan of it.

Allez Cuisine!
 Smile

ScooterTrash

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:26 am

Man I am glad I am not alone... I love the "Iron Chef!" I did not know that Kaga was an actor, however. The show's intro, with him chewing on the yellow pepper and all the dudes in chef outfits in kitchen stadium cracks me up every time!

AC320

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:28 am

Is it me or does he seems to gag or choke on that pepper during that scene?

[Edited 2003-01-28 01:29:23]
fuddle duddle

TWAL1011

Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:52 am

Put me down for love it.

UALPHLCS

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:08 am

Iron Chef is the funniest show on TV. The cooking is interseting and the commentary is just flat out hysterical.

FYI Morimoto's opened last year in Philadelphia.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

concorde1518

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:09 am

You can also see his shoulder twitch as the camera pans away lol. Also, to clarify, when I said "around here" I meant my town, not A.net heh. If you guys want some great music, Iron Chef uses the Backdraft soundtrack by Hans Zimmer (did Gladiator too, he's great.)

the order of the music is:
The arsonist's waltz - as they show the Brillat-Saverain quote

Fighting 17th - as the start the whole "five years ago, a man's fantasy became reality" speech

Show me your firetruck - as Kaga steps out to bite the pepper, and when the credits roll at the end

Burn it all - as the challenger comes out, and at the end, it's what they use when they unveil the ingredient

Charging fort Wagner - as the Iron Chefs are summoned. Kobe comes up to his own music since he's off to the side, with a pit of Violins

You go, we go - background music here and there, and also when the IC is chosen and they play the black and white intro with all of the pictures and their little biography.

Fahrenheit 451 - Presentation of the dishes, and when the judges announce the scores

The Challenge Fight Warmup - during the judges intros.

There are some other music used for special battles, and goes into greater detail. Also, there area few different versions. The food network version is known as the international version, and it has the old types and the new types. The older ones are dubbed, and the newer ones have Kaga subtitled because his voice is so cool. It's wierd once you get used to the new ones to hear the people have different voices, and Kaga dubbed.. It's kind annoying, really.

allright  Smile

Beefmoney

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:30 am

I love Iron Chef. I really liked SNLs skit mocking it.

Iron Chef Japanese VS. The American Bachelor Chef

The special ingredient is: Shark heads.

The American Bachelor Chef has created "Shark head on bagel", "Shark head on pilsbury biscuit"

Cracks me up every time.

STT757

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:37 am

Iron Chef is great, I wish I saw the SNL skit. I guess I'll see it when it aires on comedy central.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

N766UA

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:49 am

All I can think of when I see it is the SNL version where the iron chef cooks shark heads with the secret ingrediant of eel farts. Funny as hell! The actual show though, is kinda far-fetched and annoying. Better than emiril, though.
This Website Censors Me

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:01 am

Oh man I gotta see the SNL spoof...Im glad Im not the only one who has become hopelessly addicted to it...I didn't know Kaga was an actor either...fascinating...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

vafi88

Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:16 pm

Damn straight! That show is great, I love how they make dishes that one is not familliar with and alsolike the style they do it in.

Anyone Like Emeril live?? I love that show. BAM!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

jared

Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:05 pm

I don't have cable, but I think if it came down to it, my girlfriend would pick Iron Chef over me.  Sad

Well not really, but she loves it. Heh, someone needs to step up and say they hate it so we can get some drama going.

US AIRWAYS

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:02 am

That show is very addicting, and I love it!!! I'm also glad I'm not the only one in the world!

Jonathan
Go Eagles!

prosa

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:51 am

It's a terrific show, so over-the-top. I very much enjoy watching it.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

srbmod

Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:27 am

It's one show that I miss since I moved back in March. I moved within the county I live in, but our stupid cable company has yet to upgrade the system in my current neighborhood (and they were the first neighborhood in the county to get cable some 20+ years ago) so I don't get Food Network. The UPN's attempt to do an Iron Chef USA was just plain tacky. William Shatner is no Chairman Kaga! Iron Chef is not a contest like a WWE match, which was how UPN decided to make their version like, with fans chanting, holding signs, and so on. Iron Chef is supposed to be dignified showmanship, where to crowds are calm and act as though they are at a play, not a sporting event.