174thfwff
Topic Author

State Of The Union

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:15 pm

Wow,
From the topics of Aids to the commitment of billions to hydrogen run cars, I think Bush did a great job!
Any opinions?
-174thfwff
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

We're Nuts

RE: State Of The Union

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:19 pm

I was with him right until he said "faith based initiatives".
Dear moderators: No.

KAUSpilot

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:20 pm

Best State of the Union in recent memory as far as I'm concerned. Bush was sincere and surprisingly eloquent throughout the evening.

heavymetal

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:21 pm

He lost me at writing more refund checks.

174thfwff
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:23 pm

Yes, I am not a religious person, and I do not appreciate it when he mentioned "God" a few times....

-174thfwff

kaitakfan

I loved the quote...

"The direction of our nation will not be steered by others".

I really hopes he sticks to it and will do what is best for our nation in regard to the Middle East situation.

It would be great to see his plans turn into reality in the future. Especially about not depending on power from other nations!!

jcs17

Excellent job, Dubya! Now I'm watching some whiny Democrat bitch about not getting enough federal funding, class warfare, and medicare.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:26 pm

Wonder then, why he insists on steering the direction of other nations. Guess he doesn't like to practice what he preaches.

ADG

jaysit

He read the teleprompter lines very well. And, yes, as someone said above, he seemed surprisingly sincere and eloquent through it all.
Over two years, he has lost that deer in the headlights look when he reads his lines.
However, his speechwriters did a good job on the Iraq bit. They almost convinced me. I'm afraid I skipped the earlier part of the speech. Thank God for Tivo.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jcs17

Gary Locke just said "We will fight for affirmative action and equal opportunity." Huh? How does affirmative action create equal opportunity?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

TWAL1011

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:38 pm

Yes, I am not a religious person, and I do not appreciate it when he mentioned "God" a few times....

In other words, you're anti-religious. An agnostic would not be offended by such comments, only a die-hard atheist.

Yes, he read his speech from a teleprompter, as has every president since the thing was invented and his speech was written by others just as every other one has been...

In particular, I'm glad to hear that something concrete has been decided for hell that has been unleashed in Africa. The ability to treat 2 million people infected with HIV for less than the price of a single B-2 bombers is a bargain by any means.

It was very well done.

apathoid

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:40 pm

It was a fantastic speech and echoed the thoughts of many Americans. I am sure Stupiflied and the others will have some hateful drivel to add, but I was moved. Flame on silly liberals. I am happy to be led by such a great man.

[Edited 2003-01-29 04:49:36]

N766UA

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:41 pm

Excellent speech. He told us flat out what Iraq is doing and what he plans to do about it and he seemed very determined and committed when he said it. As for those who didn't appreciate the mention of God, realize that our nation was founded on the belief of one God, and whether you believe in it or not I think you should be happy he's keeping our customs alive. Personally I was very happy with what he said on the subject. Overall, though, a great speech full of great plans. Now let's do it!
This Website Censors Me

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:50 pm

To appease these damn Europeans, why couldn't he just have said that a free Iraq will determine its own oil contracts???

tnnh

Tbird

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:51 pm

Outstanding speech! It clearly sent the message to the world that America is there to help but American interests and the American people come first!

Regards
Tom

sleekjet

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:54 pm

Superlative speech. And thank goodness he mentions God. Those of us who were raised in Southern churches loved the reference to "wonder-working power", a phrase from a great hymn.
II Cor. 4:17-18

MD-90

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:11 pm

Hey 174thfwff ,

Did you watch the 92' Democratic convention? Well, Bill Clinton quoted every verse in the Bible and espoused his devout religious beliefs. But then he violated every commandment in the Bible.

Stretch 8

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:11 pm

I agree that this was an excellent speech. It has redefined his presidency. The advocacy of up to $15B for AIDS assistance for Africa and elsewhere was very impressive. The details of Iraq's torture machine had to be stated. Liberty comes at a price.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

174thfwff
Topic Author

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:24 pm

MD-90,

I was only 7 then my friend. Scooby doo and Speed Racer were the weapon of choice.

-174thfwff

MD-90

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:25 pm

By the way, my above post was my roommate. He's the president of our hall, actually, and he has been very effective. Of course, he's a Republican, which I know some people can't stand.

cba

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:26 pm

Yup, he sure read the teleprompter well. He seems caring and affectionate on TV, but tomorrow morning it's back to the normal cold-hearted Bush. He and Rumsfeld are pushing a war that nobody else wants.

MD-90

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:28 pm

Well guess what, my roommate was only 8 and he watched it. Gee, perhaps someone who's been following politics longer than most might actually know something about what's going on.

Unfortunately, I missed Bush's speech due to moving equipment for MSU's honor band and an auction I went to were us Duggar guys were auctioned off to the Rice Hall girls to raise money for United Way.

[Edited 2003-01-29 05:30:53]

apathoid

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:30 pm

You don't speak for me Cba, so don't say "nobody" else wants the war...I most certainly do. And most of the people I know do as well. Read the speech...understand what it is all about. If you don't agree with what Bush wants, then you have turned your back on the suffering of millions...

haveric

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:32 pm

a mediocre speech from a mediocre person. his reasons for war with iraq sounded like a speech a h.s. football coach gives before the big rivalry game.

he barely mentioned that the economy is tanking (beyond b.s. tax cuts), how the vast majority of americans will get better health care, or how to help the nation's cities, and state budget deficits.

Eric

vafi88

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:48 pm

As some of you had said "The direction of our nation will not be steered by others". I think that's a problem for the US, it is saying that our future is dependant on our own people in no regards to the outside world, I did not see the State of the Union Adress, but I disagree with that quote.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:49 pm

Apathoid wrote:

"I am happy to be led by such a great man."

I missed the speech, but I happen to think that our great nation deserves a much better president than this intellectually and morally challenged "great man", or at least someone who wouldn't damage our international reputation on a regular basis (not to mention his domestic agenda).

[Edited 2003-01-29 06:05:28]

MD-90

Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:51 pm

President Bush's State of the Union Letter to Children

January 29, 2002

Dear Young Americans:

Since September 11, 2001, many of you have sent cards, letters, and drawings to express your love for our great Nation and for the families of the victims. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas with me.

I asked you to send a dollar to help the children of Afghanistan in October. I was moved by the response of our children, and I was particularly touched by an eight-year-old's desire to "help heal their hearts" by baking and selling heart-shaped cookies to raise money for the Afghan children. More than $2 million has been raised so far, and the first shipment of tents, clothing, and school supplies arrived in Afghanistan in December. Thank you for your efforts to help those in need. I am proud of you.

The events of last September have reminded us of the value of the things that matter most in life: our faith, our love for family and friends, and our Nation's freedoms. I particularly want you to understand that the war we are fighting against terrorism is about your future, and the future of our country. We fight to protect America, so that you and other young Americans can pursue your dreams and grow up in peace and freedom. We fight for all freedom-loving people throughout the world.

I recently gave my State of the Union message to Congress, and this is my message to you: Work hard. Read. Make the right choices, and follow your dreams.

Mrs. Bush joins me in sending our warmest wishes to you, your family, and friends. God bless you, and God bless America.

Sincerely,
George W. Bush

We're Nuts

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:01 pm

His domestic plan seems fine, not good, but certainly acceptable. This foreign policy, however, will not get us anywhere. And of course he doesn't even think we need a domestic policy.  Insane

Only two more years, then we'll have an intelligent person back in the White House.

JetService

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:02 pm

Unfortunately I'm in a business meeting in PHX and missed it. But from the looks of this thread; Bush-haters talking about teleprompters and speech-writers instead of the content, I'm guessing I would've liked what I heard. Looking forward to some more of the objective members opinions.
"Shaddap you!"

sushka

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:09 pm

I wish that I could have seen it. Maybe later.
I too am happy that our naition is led by him.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

haveric

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:11 pm

Was there any mention of the Israeli - Palestinian conflict?
Any mention of urban sprawl?
Anything but a passing mention of corporate malfeasance?
any mention of how long war would last? casaulties? costs (human and $$$)?

but thanks to the pres for mentioning hydrogen cars. although i'm an environmentalist, i dont see hydrogen cars coming anytime soon....

KAUSpilot

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:25 pm

On the I vs. P situation, he said something to the effect of: "We will continue to work towards a secure Israel and a democratic Palestine."

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:30 pm

Was there any mention of the Israeli - Palestinian conflict?

Yup. Bush said he was ready to negotiate with a Democractic Palestine.

Thats all good with me.

"In each case, their ambitions of cruelty and murder had no limit. In each case, the ambitions of Hitlerism, militarism and communism were defeated by the will of free peoples, by the strength of great alliances and by the might of the United States of America."

Oh yeah.  Big thumbs up

TNNH

apathoid

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:42 pm

Funny, a clinton sympathizer criticizing bush for being morally bankrupt. Wow. That really contributed to the discussion.  Insane

LOT767-300ER

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:51 pm

"He read the teleprompter lines very well. And, yes, as someone said above, he seemed surprisingly sincere and eloquent through it all.
Over two years, he has lost that deer in the headlights look when he reads his lines.
However, his speechwriters did a good job on the Iraq bit. They almost convinced me. I'm afraid I skipped the earlier part of the speech. Thank God for Tivo."

Jaysit im sure you loved the Gary Locke speech. I mean look at him, he looked like he was going to blow out a 9 foot turd!

I loved the Chris Matthews quote "The democrats should put someone that takes more than 5 minutes to think of a response, and then put someone that has a higher popularity rating than 30%" God that was good.

We're Nuts

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:57 pm

Watch it, LOT, that is MY Governor, and we all love him here.

kaitakfan

Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:58 pm

ADG wrote >>>"Wonder then, why he insists on steering the direction of other nations. Guess he doesn't like to practice what he preaches"

This is rather simple ADG, If or maybe even when Australia suffers a massive terrorist attack, then I sure would hope your leader would be doing anything in his power to persue the pieces of trash behind it and who are potential problems in the future. Had that attack in Bali occured in Sydney only with the same death toll and destruction our nation suffered on 9/11/01, you bet the country of Australia would be urging other nations to step up to prevent another attack like that! There is nothing wrong with Bush seeking approval from other nations to help fight terrorism. Its atleast a noble gesture attempting to please other nations in this matter. Dont you think its better than just going ahead and doing whatever the hell we want to? I find it appaling that other nations try to stop us from taking the necessary steps to save lives in the future from terrorist attacks. It seems to me that until those nations can walk a mile in the shoes of Bush on 9/11/01, they will still be clueless as to why we are so determined to go after Iraq.

Marco

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:06 pm

Well the majority of America believes in God, so out of respect for that majority just let it slip.

Sheesh...
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:09 pm

KaiTakFan wrote:

"I find it appaling that other nations try to stop us from taking the necessary steps to save lives in the future from terrorist attacks. It seems to me that until those nations can walk a mile in the shoes of Bush on 9/11/01, they will still be clueless as to why we are so determined to go after Iraq."

Why are you confusing the Sept. 11 attacks with the war in Iraq? The war in Afghanistan, which most people supported wholeheartedly, was in response to the 9-11, and it was, in my view, a completely justified act of self-defense. However, no concrete links between Iraq and al-Qeada have been proven and many Americans remain unconvinced that Iraq poses an imminent threat to us. Iraq is an evil regime, no doubt about that, but there is no evidence whatsoever that it was behind 9-11 in any way, and is therefore a completely different matter than Afghanistan.

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:17 pm

Jcs17 wrote:

"Seriously, if you are such an environmentalist why do you belong to an aviation site? After all, aircraft do pollute..."

I don't know about Haveric but, with the exception of a few radicals, most environmentalists are not anti-technology, contrary what some far-right ideologues may tell you. They simply want some intelligent regulation to protect the planet. In many European countries, environmentalist parties are pretty influential, yet -- if you can believe it -- they still have planes there!

KLM-MD11

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:39 pm

First thing i saw when i turned on my t.v at 4 am this morning (i'm in Europe)
was Bush's face. That guy gave me the creeps.

i cannot believe you all found the speech sincere...

the guy's a rat in my opinion, sorry to be so harsh.

the last thing we need now is a war.

klm-md11
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

CPH-R

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:43 pm

Regarding the Iraq involvement in 9/11, a recent poll (actually, it's some 2 weeks old  Big grin) had the question: "As far as you know, how many of the September 11 terrorist hijackers were Iraqi citizens?"
The answers were:
21% believed that "most" of the hijackers were from Iraq
23% believed that "some" were from Iraq
6% believed that there was only 1 Iraqi
33% refused to answer/didn't know
17% had the right answer: none

Information taken from the Miami Herald: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/4911975.htm

Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:51 pm

ADG wrote >>>"Wonder then, why he insists on steering the direction of other nations. Guess he doesn't like to practice what he preaches"

and

This is rather simple ADG

True. But Brian, they basic reason is that unlike the US, Iraq's leadership simply doesn't derserve to steer its country anymore.

TNNH

Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:44 pm

This is rather simple ADG,

Not at all KTF.

If or maybe even when Australia suffers a massive terrorist attack, then I sure would hope your leader would be doing anything in his power to persue the pieces of trash behind it and who are potential problems in the future.

I agree, however I don't see the tie in with my statement and the one you have introduced into the issue. After all, no COUNTRY has launched a terrorist attack on American soil, and the only organisation that has remains free and functioning.

Had that attack in Bali occured in Sydney only with the same death toll and destruction our nation suffered on 9/11/01, you bet the country of Australia would be urging other nations to step up to prevent another attack like that!

We most likely would. But i'd like to think that our country would not attack another without severe provocation and I know for a fact that our country will not work outside the mandates of the United Nations. Australians first WITHIN AUSTRALIA, Americans first WITHIN AMERICA. No more, no less.

There is nothing wrong with Bush seeking approval from other nations to help fight terrorism.

There certainly isn't, and nothing I have said would indicate otherwise.

Its atleast a noble gesture attempting to please other nations in this matter.

It's not noble at all, it's what differentiates an country taking legitimate action and a country illegally declaring war and launching a terrorist attack. However, I do feel that what Bush is doing is nothing more than lip service and he has no concern at all about whether he has global approval for the attack or not. Stupid move IMO as he doesnt' have majority support within his own country, let alone elsewhere.

Dont you think its better than just going ahead and doing whatever the hell we want to?

Seems to me that's exactly what is happening. You see, one the one hand he's saying that he will abide by the UN decisions and on the other hand he's saying he will go it alone if he doesn't get the agreement. See they hypocrisy there?

I find it appaling that other nations try to stop us from taking the necessary steps to save lives in the future from terrorist attacks.

I find it appalling that such a flimsy excuse is being used to hide the debacle that your economy is sinking into and to appease the pride of one old and stupid man. If Iraq posed any realistic threat to the United States then I would have no problems with an attack, however it's currently nothing more than smoke and mirrors from the only country in the world that has used nuclear weapons against an enemy (and one of only three that have launched nuclear weapons on foreign soil).

It seems to me that until those nations can walk a mile in the shoes of Bush on 9/11/01, they will still be clueless as to why we are so determined to go after Iraq.

Whilst it's an emotive response, it's also irrelevant. Iraq had nothing to do with the September 11th Terrorist attack by Al Queda on the United States of America, indeed American foreign policy is more relevant to that attack than Iraq is. We, the rest of the world, are not going to accept the 911 attack being dragged out every time the USA wants to get it's own way, it's not acceptable and it's offensive to those who lost their lives on that day.

TNNH,

It's not up to you to decide about the leadership of other countries, that's the same arrogant attitude that makes America a target of the terrorist organisations. But not surprising coming from you.

ADG

Superfly

Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:13 pm

As expected, Bushman did a good job at preaching to the choir. I was not at all impressed.

Bushman quote:
"The direction of our nation will not be steered by others".

Well explain the creation of the Department of Homeland Security (KGB)?  Insane

Unless he is talking about the 'others' here in America that disagrees with him.

Bush doesn't give a rats arse about democracy!
Bring back the Concorde

GDB

Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:13 pm

The mention of those aluminum tubes in Iraq was unfortunate, as most independent experts do not rate them as suitable for use in a nuclear programme.

Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:56 pm

I found his explaination of the reasons why someone would want nuclear weapons to fit ALL countries including the US.

"to dominate, to intimidate or to attack" .. well duh!

ADG

N766UA

Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:08 pm

Ten thousand Frenchman can't be wrong....

Maybe not, but they sure can surrender  Big thumbs up.
This Website Censors Me

ben

Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:15 pm

True. But Brian, they basic reason is that unlike the US, Iraq's leadership simply doesn't derserve to steer its country anymore.

You decided that, TNNH? Your president? Ordinary Americans?

That is exactly why so many people hate you.

jwenting

Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:57 pm

Excellent speech, some good initiatives.
Too bad party politics will make the "Democrats" vote against anything that will have a positive effect on the country in order to prevent the president from looking good and getting too much good polls for the next elections.

He's a good man with a good team of advisors. Even if you don't like his foreign policy you have to agree that he had some pretty good plans in there.

And to people saying that all he did was read a teleprompter: forget it.
He may not have written it all himself (no president since Roosevelt (and probably further back) has. But I'm pretty sure he did tell his speechwriter what to put in and made the odd change here and there to give it a personal touch.
I wish I were flying