wardialer

Gulf War Syndrome Vs Shuttle Debris

Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:29 am

With the shuttle debris being toxic it was the same deal in the gulf war when scud missiles exploded in mid-air causing debris to fall and leak out the highly toxic nitrogen dioxide gas which is used as a propellant. Apparently some of our troops were exposed to that material and they dont want the same thing happening to the public with the shuttle debris.

Boeing4ever

RE: Gulf War Syndrome Vs Shuttle Debris

Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:41 pm

I was wondering about something like this myself. NASA says the debris is toxic, and I hope that it won't cause illnessess in Texas and Louisiana in the future. There were some folks hospitalized after touching the debris, but they turned out ok.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

God Bless the Columbia 7.

Greg

Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:46 pm

The gas should have burned up or discharged into the atomsophere at a tolerable rate. Although heavier than air, it's unlikely to 'blanket' any sprecific area unless a tank had fallen intact into a sealed area....again, very unlikely.

Personally, I think it the Feds way of assuring folks do not 'pocket' too much of the debris. I think there will be very little evidence on any of the parts showing chemical--or other--contamination.

JetService

Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:13 am

From my undertstanding, it wasn't the fuel so much as the treatment of the materials for shielding the heat.
"Shaddap you!"

Boeing4ever

Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:20 pm

JetService, I read that after the shuttle uses its thrusters to position itself for reentry, all remaining fuel is burned off as a safety precaution.

Greg, true, although we don't really want people pocketing this debris as it may be important in finding out what went wrong. I'm more worried about important pieces landing in isolated rivers, and lakes. How much effort would be needed to search every body of water along the debris field?

B4e-Forever New Fronteirs