SInGAPORE_AIR

Are American Children Intelligent?

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:09 am

Haha! You thought it was going to be an anti-American post! Well my dear, that says a lot more about you than it does about me. For shame I say, pity.

Anyway, I was in the LHR waiting lounge Terminal 3 on 14 December 2002 and I was sitting near an American man with his two children.

I have noticed this trend whenver I go to a major international airport. American children seem very intelligent and have intelligent voices. In addition, the parents also seem clever and answer in an intelligent fashion.

Has anyone else seen/noticed this in American families?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ryanb741

RE: Are American Children Intelligent?

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:18 am

Like every country - some are intelligent and some are stupid.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Alessandro

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:24 am

Airtravel is expensive especially for a family, so you don´t exactly end up next
to the lower class.....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

heavymetal

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:28 am

Has anyone else seen/noticed this in American families?

I really thought I did with my cousin's 6 year old son....but then he got the sixth consecutive Reeses Pieces stuck up his nostril, and I abandoned the notion.

UAL747

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:29 am

Actually, it depends. If you are in the US and waiting for a flight on Southwest, I can guarantee you there are some children that are waaay more intelligent than their parents. God, you should see some of the trash on SW flights. I would almost rather pay 200 more dollars to get from point A to B just to not have to sit next to em.

Now Singapore, Alessandro does have a point. First of all, most of the people who travel OUTSIDE of the US and take alltheir kids, etc., do have the money to do so, hence the higher intelligence. However, there are many people who can't afford to fly in the US who are extremely intelligent as well. Doesn't matter what country, you have smart ones, and you have dumb ones.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

737doctor

Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:44 am

Actually, it depends. If you are in the US and waiting for a flight on Southwest, I can guarantee you there are some children that are waaay more intelligent than their parents. God, you should see some of the trash on SW flights. I would almost rather pay 200 more dollars to get from point A to B just to not have to sit next to em.

Could you be just a little more judgmental there pal? And people wonder why I am always singing the praises of Southwest. It's to counterbalance crap like this.

Patrick Bateman is my hero.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:11 am

I see. Do continue.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

blink182

Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:26 am

You say this is LHR, the only reason the American Children were well behaved was because all the other kids and teens back in the US don't have a clue where London is.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

donder10

Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:44 am

American children seem very intelligent and have intelligent voices. In addition, the parents also seem clever and answer in an intelligent fashion

What defines an 'intelligent' voice?
I guess,as a generalisation,those Americans who travel abroad are more likely to be wealthy and therefore overally more intelligent,than those who do not travel as much.Same with the UK.

pacificjourney

Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:38 am

Interesting that people equate wealth with intelligence.

How about wealth with the appearance of intelligence ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

vafi88

Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:44 am

They are...compared to dogs. I am a citizen of America and certainly have to put up with their annoying questions and behavior at local supermarkets and other facilities. No respect for most of their parents, no manners, no common sense. Although some do have quite intelligent things to say on occasions.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

flight152

Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:46 am

It's a proven fact that (at least in the United States) that people with a greater wealth/net income usually have a higher education.

lubcha132

Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:50 am

well it really depends..i know kids that think pogroms landed on the mayflower, but i also know kids who are extremely intelligent

of course, some of the not so bright kids may excel in conversation and the intellectuals may be social doorknobs

KRIC777

Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:26 pm

How about wealth with the appearance of intelligence ?

Or how about (at least here in the USA) that the more intelligent one is, the more curiosity about, and desire to visit, foreign countries one is likely to have..regardless of income (although certainly one must also have the resources to allow foreign travel).

Or more specificaly, if we are talking about children, as in the original post, their parents have this intelligence/curiosity/sense of adventure, so are likely to pass it on to their children. Not necessarily a money issue....but that certainly contributes. I know plenty of people who have the means to travel abroad but who lack the brains to see what they are missing by not doing it. Conversely, there are plenty of folks (e.g. ME) who can't wait to travel abroad, but don't yet have the bread  Sad

Shawn Patrick

Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:57 pm

I'm a smart American kid  Big thumbs up

TWAL1011

Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:01 pm

I can't believe the arrogance of some posting in this topic. Unbelievable.

pacificjourney

Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:02 pm

... and now flight152 equates higher education with greater intelligence ... dangerous stuff ?

But seriously, I never really notice intelligence in children. As Kric777 mentions, the thing that strikes (or not) me about some kids is their natural and obvious curiosity. Do they have it or not ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

MD-90

Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:05 pm

It's a proven fact that (at least in the United States) that people with a greater wealth/net income usually have a higher education.

Flight152, you've never read The Millionaire Mind by Stanley and Danko, have you? You'd think otherwise. Many of America's millionaires have little or no higher education. More significant, however, is that their research found no correlation between high SAT scores and the tendency to accumulate wealth.

[Edited 2003-02-07 05:06:39]

airplay

Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:27 pm

Um....compared to children in other countries? I would say they are adequately intelligent on the whole. But let's start a thread on the real issues. In general are they ethical, tolerant, and do they have a realistic view of the rest of the world. No.

Beefmoney

Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:03 pm

I think we need to back away from the stereotypes. Not every person in the USA is "stupid".

I think the real issue is the French and their astonishing ability to surrender faster than any other nation on earth.

*ducks and runs* Smile

JetService

Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:03 pm

Let's not confuse being intellegent with being refined. People that are refined (good manners, good etiquette, clean vocabulary) don't necessarily have to be intellegent, but they probably get more opportunities for income than unrefined people. So, I can see the connection to that point.
"Shaddap you!"

chief

Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:15 pm

Ha! You think Southwest is bad, obviously you have never flown on Alaska Airlines.

You know all the seats that Continental removed to increase seat pitch? Well they sold them to Alaska so they could pack 24 more people into their cattle cars!

Back to the subject at hand, our kids aren't any more intelligent than anybody else's. Just depends on how you raise them.

flight152

QQ

Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:26 am

... and now flight152 equates higher education with greater intelligence ... dangerous stuff ?

Perhaps Pacific Journey has been drinking a bit too much again. Reading stuff I have never written. I said "people with a greater wealth/net income usually have a higher education.". Not "higher education with greater intelligence" as you claim.

More significant, however, is that their research found no correlation between high SAT scores and the tendency to accumulate wealth.

The SAT is a test of reasoning skills, not IQ, big difference there.

Flight152, you've never read The Millionaire Mind by Stanley and Danko, have you? You'd think otherwise.

No, but I perfer my census facts over some frivolous book.

Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:59 am

In league with the idea that America is a "melting pot" of diversity, we probably have the greatest range and scope of intelligent people and... not so intelligent people.

N312RC

Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:13 am

Here's My Opinion (like any of you care)...

You cant necessarily say "all american children are smart" or "all american children are dumb". Theres 280-some million people in America... theres 60 million of what you'd call "children". Theres just such a wiiiiiiide spectrum that you cant really generalize.

I can make some regional observations. I live in the Metro-Detroit, Michigan area (out in the suburbs). Children are a product of their surroundings. Kids growing up in Detroit where the median house price is $22,000 and most are raised by a single parent are going to turn out different then somebody who lives in West Bloomfield, goes to a private school, and lives in a $300,000 house.

Another thing, I know some kids who attended the City of Detroit Public schools. Going to Knoxville, Tennessee is a big deal for them. They dont travel out of the country, unless its over the Ambassador Bridge to Windsor, Ontario so they can get smashed on their 18th birthday.
N/A

gotAirbus

Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:41 am

Donder10

American children seem very intelligent and have intelligent voices. In addition, the parents also seem clever and answer in an intelligent fashion

What defines an 'intelligent' voice?
I guess,as a generalisation,those Americans who travel abroad are more likely to be wealthy and therefore overally more intelligent,than those who do not travel as much.Same with the UK.

I was not born in America. Going to a foreign country where English is the standard language (that's what the little tots at K-school would learn, right?) for over many generations might mean that their children are being taught in a same way too.

What Singapore_Air is actually saying is that he, of a different nationality, is astounded by the fact that he is seeing foreigners' (specifically Americans) children speaking English in a standard that other countries cannot beat. (even though other countries offer English as a first language.)

Extremely young children are (taught and) using words that American adults would find intelligible. That is, about 80% are based on proper grammatical skills and intelligent word use, like:

- (6 year old kid) Mom, are we there yet?
- (Parent) Not yet, It'll be a couple of minutes more.

(To people of other nationalities: Do you think this dialog is very unique in terms of word use?)

The other 20% contributes to other words such as "I had a boo-boo", and "You had a oopsy-whoopsy!"

Again, this high percentage is due to the fact that English is a standard of America for a long time -- and also, make it seem that American children are intelligent.

Other countries have percentages that vary. However, I will not overgeneralize and for example, say that China = Chinese and the percentage of proper English harnessed by people there is about 10%.

I have answered the question of why American children speak that way, but have NOT answered how children of America would be taught to construct sentences (or to say the right stuff). Perhaps somebody would "fill-me-in" with the details?

In conclusion, any foreigner would see American people, especially kids (dumb or smart as defined by an American) as seemingly intelligent, basically because of their full utilization of the English language.

(gotAirbus?)
P.S. - Singapore_Air : Isn't the UK part of England where England=English and English = the standard?
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

jcs17

Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:17 pm

Flight152, you've never read The Millionaire Mind by Stanley and Danko, have you? You'd think otherwise. Many of America's millionaires have little or no higher education. More significant, however, is that their research found no correlation between high SAT scores and the tendency to accumulate wealth.

SAT scores have a lot to do with wealth accumulation, although average GPA has nothing to do with it. More often than not, a B/C student has a better chance of being a millionaire than a straight A student. The reasoning behind this? More often than not the straight A student with a high SAT score will be more analytical in their thinking, but will struggle when creativity is needed. The B/C student with a high SAT score, while potentially less intellectual, will more often than not be more creative, and be a better at critical thinking. SAT scores do matter, to a certain point. They show an aptitude for understanding and thinking. I'm not an educational consultant, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. (actually, my mother used to be an educational consultant before she got back into teaching.)

America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

FlyingTexan

Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:04 pm

Actually, it depends. If you are in the US and waiting for a flight on Southwest, I can guarantee you there are some children that are waaay more intelligent than their parents. God, you should see some of the trash on SW flights...

You should see some of the trash working for United Airlines. No surprise that carrier is bankrupt.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

UAL747

Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:53 pm

I'm sorry, but I've seen more people without teeth and sporting mullets in their metallica t-shirts than on any other airline. I'm not insulting the intellegence or refinement of the crew, (well, SW crew aren't refined in their services, but I think that is more of a company policy as a "fun" airlines, and I do find the cabin crew very amuzing and fun, and a lot more lighthearted and less business minded), but some of those people that fly SW indeed are different than what you'd find in Business on AA. A with regards to United......I dunno about trashy, but damn there are some bitchy people that work at that airline. Quotes from UA gate agents when I got stranded on my way to Hong Kong, well, not stranded, but UA cancelled my flight from OKC-DEN which made me miss my DEN-LAX connection, which made me miss my LAX-HKG. I made this trip because I wanted to fly on the 747 for the first time in my life. It had been my dream since I was a little kid. They were gonna put me on an AC A340 out of YVR. "Sir if you want to get to Hong Kong today, then we aren't going to worry about how you get there or what airline its on." "Oh he's back, the guy that wants to get to HK." "If you aren't sure what you want to do then why are you standing here before me?" Finally I just said in a calm voice, "Ma'am, if you are having a bad day, I appreciate that and am sorry for that, but please try and treat me with the respect and decency im giving you." She left and sent out another agent who was very nice and understoond, and even giggle when I told her why I REALLY wanted to be on UA's 744.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

EGGD

Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:56 pm

Wearing Metallica t-shirts does not make you stupid though  Laugh out loud.

Not that I own one.....  Smile

UAL747

Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:00 pm

Sorry, maybe I should clarify....I'm sure the guy with the mullet, no teeth, and a metallica shirt could very well be a Harvard scholar with a background in Nuclear physics, but for some reason I highly doubt it. Then again, people used to think the world was flat.

UAL747

UAL747

Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:03 pm

And I'm also sure that his obese wife, with her platinum bleached and crimped hair with 3 inch black roots and split end who you could swear you saw her on Jerry Springer last week when thumbing through the channels is probably the U.S's leading researcher of Stem-cells. Then again, it seems to be popular belief around the world that everyone in the US looks like this.  Wink/being sarcastic

UAL747

muddydawg

Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:03 am

The one that sat behind me from Charleston to Charlotte wasn't. He smacked my seat the entire flight and the more I told him to stop the more he did it. I asked his mom to make him stop and he still wouldn't. He couldn't see that I was irritated and had him outweighed by 160lbs. That would be a dumb kid in my book.

MD-90

Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:05 am

Flight152, it's not some frivolous book. They back their data up with serious, solid research.

IHadAPheo

Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:14 am

on syaw emos ni ,sey syaw emos nI,

Now back to the thread...

A better question is how motivated are American children, a person can be "smart", have a massive IQ and still not be "successful" by some peoples standards. As a case in point I'll use myself as an example. I have an IQ of 147, but my career of choice has an income of about $28,500.00 (US). This amount does not make me by most standards rich, it does how ever make me quite satisfied.

Oh well I'll stop babbling and await the return of HTML to the forums so I can look at all the pretty pictures

Yours,
IhadAPHeo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers