Tbird
Topic Author

CNN And FNC Terror Alert Icon

Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:31 am

Greetings:

Well we all know by now that the government has raised the terror threat to orange, but is it necessary that the news channels specifically CNN and FOX News display it on their crawl bar like some type of storm warning? This is really taking things too far!

Talk about wanting to confuse Americans. Ridge tells people to go about your lives normally but the media makes this alert seem like there's a coming storm. It's almost laughable when I turn on CNN and see that stupid alert icon. What should I do to prepare? Should I run out to the Home Depot and buy wood to board up my windows? Or maybe in this case run out to Sports Authority and buy a handgun.

The media and government are sending out double standards and while I believe most intelligent Americans will go on with their everyday lives what about the people who really take this seriously? Not only does it make people anxious and nervous, it makes people suspicious of innocent people while hurting the economy even more. Things are really getting out of hand.

Regards
Tom

cba

RE: CNN And FNC Terror Alert Icon

Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:45 am

Bush needs a ratings boost. He is just scaring us into voting for him with this war on terror bull$hit, and I don't believe it. I also don't believe this increased warning just because of the Hadj season. Aside from a few fanatics, Muslims are peaceful people, and would not dare commit such violence during this holy season.

NBC News1

Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:50 am

All it takes is a few fanatics....

Whatever downward pressure these icons put on the economy, I think public awareness of possible attacks is well worth it.

If we placed an alert on every street corner, it would never do enough economic damage to rival an actual attack.

ScooterTrash

Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:26 pm

The Terrorism alerts do kinda sound like weather report don't they?

I keep waiting for Flip Spiceland or some other weather weenie to stand in front of a map and say something like this:

"This morning, there is a small chance of scattered hijackings across the eastern third of the country, increasing to about 70% this afternoon. This is do to a high pressure system of diplomatic wrangling occurring over Iraq, with a strong liberation front moving down from the north. Tonight and into tomorrow, expect possible weapons of mass destruction through the northeast as well as scattered car bombings which should taper off around mid day..."

I know, not very funny. But if you can't laugh...

The terror alerts are a good idea. It keeps the public on it's toes and helps the cops do there job.

ben88

Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:26 pm

These alerts are the type of thing that is shutting down airports for spotters. Would you rather have safety or freedom? I choose the latter.

UAL747

Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:29 pm

I chose safety; however, the icon and the whole "color coded system" is stupid. Just tell us to be vigilante and watch out. Listen, these bastards will attack us when we least expect it anyway.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

victech

Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:19 pm

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

(So, yes, I'd rather spot than be safe...)

L-188

Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:38 pm

What is funny is that Americans assume that their government actually has some sort of obligation to protect them.

They don't

Just try to sue a police department for not taking a call.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

UAL747

Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:45 pm

The US governmet DOES have the obligation to protect its people. We pay in taxes for every service the US does for us. It IS their obligation. While it may be hard to sue them, they are obligated to protect.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

ScooterTrash

Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:17 am

L-188:

The U.S. Government has a Constitutional obligation to protect the citizens, as Ual747 stated. Go back and review the preamble to the Constitution and you will see it quite clearly: "ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare..."

I think I got that quote right, anyway. You get the point. I agree that the color code system can be a tad over the top, but it is serving it's purpose of keeping public awareness high.

Beefmoney

Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:27 am

"Safety or Freedom."

No doubt about it, I want freedom. George W. and others said after the attacks that we will not allow the terrorists to alter our way of life, and that the terrorists main goal was to destroy our freedom and liberties. Then, responding to that, the government goes and shuts down our places of leisure and liberty. Most notably for me, the airport. They have shut down, closed, and demolished our most precious spotting facilities, and have posted guards around to chase us off if we try and watch planes. And why did they do this? To "protect our freedom".

Obviously, they are doing just the opposite. Personally, I would be jumping for joy if they re-opened the spotting areas and removed the guards, even if it means that the .000001% chance of a terrorist attack returns.

"Give me liberty or give me death."----Words we need to remember.

srbmod

Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:36 am

What's sad is that even the FOX affliate here in Atlanta has the terror alert icon over the time and temp on their newscasts. The best take on the color-coded terror alert system was on Saturday Night Live.
<http://www.snltranscripts.jt.org/01/01oridge.phtml>