david b.

Where Does Asia Begin?

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:13 am

Why is it that in the US, people don't consider countries like Pakistan, Afgan, Iran, India part of Asia? They only think of countries in the orient? I never really understood that. Is this the same train of thought in Canada. I know it's different in Europe.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: Where Does Asia Begin?

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:19 am

Asia starts from the West of the Ural mountains (Russia) and goes all the way down between the then USSR and Turkey, Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan border. and includes everything there right-wards.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:19 am

In the UK people only consider Indians, Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's as Asians, but refer to other races using the name of their country i.e. Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian etc. Anyone from the Middle east is simply referred to as "Arab".

Geographically and Politically, the Asian continent stretches from Iraq to Japan.
In Arsene we trust!!

teva

Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:20 am

Another separation is in Turkey. The Bosphore is the separation. The part of Istambul with Topkapi palace, Ste Sophie, etc.. is in Europe. on the opposite side of the Bosphore, you are in Asia.
Israel, Lebanon, are in Asia too.

But is is true that for a lot of US companies, India is not in Asia, and don't ask me why.
They have a Europe-Middle East division, and India is part of it most of the time
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

corocks

Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:42 am

I think part of it has to do with the stereotypes....

Often when someone things of an 'Asian' they think Oriental, hence Japan, Koreas, Vietnam, China, etc.

Most of the other countries...India, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, etc we just think of the middle east.

I think we tend to think in Regions more than in Continents most of the time.

KAUSpilot

Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:50 am

Most everyone I've talked to in the US considers the countries you mentioned to be part of Asia. Asia is generally held to be bordered on the west by the Ural mountains, the caspian sea, the Caucasus mountains, the bosporos straight, and the mediterranean sea. On the south it is bounded by the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, the pacific ocean on the east, and the arctic sea on the norhth.

Lan_Fanatic

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:10 pm

The same happens with latins.

Central Americans and northern south americans live,act and are quite different from southern south americans

The first group matches much more the stereotype that americans have about latins, while chileans,argentineans and uruguayans differ a lot from the others.

mas a330

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:47 pm

Where Europe ends to the Pacific.

aloges

Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:41 pm

I want nothing less than to make this thread a "the US educational system is bad" thing, but seriously... Haven't you been taught in school where the continents end?
However, the western limits of Asia are the Ural mountains, the Ural river, the Caspian Sea, the Caucasus mountains (like a line from Baku to Tiflis), the Black Sea, the Bosphorus, the Marmara Sea, the Dardanelles and the Aegaean Sea. The islands of the latter are European. Cyprus is referred to as European, at least from the political point of view.

Regards, aloges

[Edited 2003-02-13 13:43:13]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.