bmi330

Australia's Secret To Sporting Success?

Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:03 am

What is this country secret? It is astonishing when you think its a country of just over 17 million people and how much success they have.

They general only lack behind the USA in Olympic medal halls.

They are double rugby world Champions.

defending cricket champions.

Davis cup champions I think and Hewitt is ranked no1 in world or near enough.

Countless motorbike worldchampion and lots of new blood coming through.

There Football team is not hafe bad just ask england plus many great player.

So is there any sport out there that Australia dose not have a world class competitor or team in ?

srbmod

RE: Australia's Secret To Sporting Success?

Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 am

One has to give credit to their training programs.

Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:10 am

Great weather helps - the Aussies love the great outdoors, and who can blame them when they live in such a darn beautiful country.

More crucially, i think it's like a religion they become indoctrinated with at a very early age - money helps a lot. I have no stats, but I'm willing to bet they invest a lot more in their facilities/athletic programs than, for example, Britain.

Healthy weather breeds healthy lifestyles; good for the Aussies I say! So desperately want to move there....

see yiz

EGGD

Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:14 am

Also, I think their history has something to do with it...

The Australian population consists of descendents from convicts, that were sent from England so the fittest obviously survived, and of course families that moved to Australia in the 50's and 60's, most of which were tradesmen or were employed in primary industry (you know, builders etc, unskilled work) as it was a new start for these people.

Of course, they are just as intelligent as any other country but have an advantage over most with having such healthy descendents, and I guess thats really how they do so well... Big grin

PerthGloryFan

Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:05 pm

The Australian population consists of descendents from convicts
May have been a nice theory once, say 100 years ago, but I would suggest that a only small percentage of today's 17 million could trace any lineage back to transported convicts. It's a bit like saying most Merkins are descendants of the Pilgrims; hardly.

Capt.Picard has it right - it's a religion, and it demands sacrifices, and the latest sacrifical offering was England this morning - and the sport, none other than the world game itself - football!
Oh what a great start to the day  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

England were so desperate that they had to field 2 complete teams but to no avail. 3-1 to the green & gold!!

Once John Howard perfects his sucking up to Bush, there won't be anything
left that England are better at than Australia.

PGF

QANTASforever

Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:09 pm

It is astonishing when you think its a country of just over 17 million people and how much success they have.

Uh, that is 20,000,000 thank you very much Big grin.

I would suggest that a only small percentage of today's 17 million could trace any lineage back to transported convicts.

Indeed you are right. In fact the most recent census indicated that approx. 3 people in Australia can trace their roots back to the convicts.

P.S: I think maybe Australia needs to work on it's sailing, Ice Hockey and Chess skills if we really want to rule the sporting world :P

Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.