aa61hvy

Are Pop-Up Ad's Violation Of Privacy?

Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:30 am

Disclaimer: This has absolutely nothing to do with A.net's pop-ups.

The other day in my Communication class, the discussion was brought up about pop-up ads. I said it was a violation of privacy. Many agreed, but many disagreed. I noticed when I log onto Internet Explorer (ran on my schools server) there is an ad that pops up. I think this is ridiculous. Some of the ad's even have sound which is real, real lame. I think that spam is one thing, but some ads take up the whole screen and you must do the alt+CTR+del and cancel out the task. That is a waste if it is just an ad, I think the ad's on banners are fine but the pop ups are going too far. What does everyone think?
Go big or go home

MaxPowers

RE: Are Pop-Up Ad's Violation Of Privacy?

Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:57 am

no.
It's not like your paying for a websites bandwidth...

-Max powers

Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:59 am

I dont' think they are a violation of privacy, but they sure as hell are annoying.

'Speed

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:00 am

Violation of privacy?

Of course not. It's an annoyance but just deal with it really. If it's not got some Java stuff analysing your system and making a whole for an outside computer to hack into yours well...

It's the way of the internet. No one looks at their adverts, but as long as most of the stuff is free and as good as it is. Then I think it's fine.

I'd get a pop-up stopper program link for you but I am tired. Someone else can do it  Big thumbs up
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Turbolet

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:26 pm

Though pop-up ads are admittedly annoying, you have to remember that thay are the reason why many sites are free. I'd rather close a few windows I don't need than pay to see many sites.

I must say I prefer the usual banner ads on top of pages though.

-turbolet

Matt D

Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:00 pm

I've also noticed that many of the ads are getting more and more aggressive:

You cannot right click disable them

Ctrl+Alt+Delete will end ALL Internet programs, not just the one ad

Ads are superimposed on the page. You have to click "GO TO MESSAGE" (at least on Yahoo!), and wait at least 10 seconds for the ad to clear.

Some sites, no matter what you click on, every time you do something, about 15 or 20 (yes that many) ads will pop up. Just to preserve your sanity, you run around the screen, as though playing "Whack-A-Mole" trying to close them. I've noticed a few sites that are getting really sneaky:

Not all of the ads pop up at once. There will be a handful of them. Then they'll just start pooping up at random times. I finally give up and move on.

dinker225

Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:39 am

Does a pop up ad become an invasion of privacy when it places a program on your computer without you being able to stop it? The reason I ask is because of one popup banner I keep getting for weather Cast. Once the title of the ad comes up in the top right corner of the banner it is too late. The program has already been installed. I have uninstalled this program at least 3 or 4 times. After removing it a webpage comes up with a form to give the company feedback on why you are removing their program from your system. Is that an invasion of privacy?

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.