delta-flyer

More Than Just Disarm Saddam.....

Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:46 pm

In a very thought-provoking essy, columnist Charles Krauthammer examines the wider socio-political motivation of the US in the Middle East.

Here are some interesting excerpts......

"The war is not just to disarm Saddam. It is to reform a whole part of the world."

"War in Iraq is coming. The demonstrators shout, "No blood for oil!" In his State of the Union address, President Bush declares, "We exercise power without conquest, and we sacrifice for the liberty of strangers." Which is it? Well, it ain't for oil. And it is for more than liberty."

"....preventing the next Sept. 11 will require America to engage the Arab world the way it engaged Europe and Asia a half-century ago."

It's a worthwhile cause, but I am not sure America should undertake this on her own.

Here is the link, enjoy:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030217-421021,00.html

Pete

"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

delta-flyer

RE: More Than Just Disarm Saddam.....

Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:07 am

I am a bit disappointed (but not surprised) that the anti-war lobby has not responded to the referenced article. I know, it's a tough act to follow, but surely there are some inteligent debaters here?!

Pete

delta-flyer

Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:04 pm

I am disappointed that no one has commented on this piece -- it's truly a well-reasoned, thought-provoking article.

Is it too high on the intellectual scale for this group?

Pete

ryanb741

Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:12 pm

I agree with the article. It's about time we took the despotic regimes and fundamentalists to task and let them know that they either shape up or we take them out. I would love to sort out Iraq, then North Korea, then Israel/Palestine, then Zimbabwe etc mercilessly and with only the thought of a better future regardless of what the costs are now. And the f*cking Muslims. Geez - I was brought up in that part of the world and love the culture and the people. But Islam is getting to be too selfish these days. Muslims are supporting other Muslims whether they are morally in the right or not. I was speaking to a Pakistani taxi driver in London the other day and he was still going on about how the US instigated 9/11 against itself! Too many muslims are unable to accept criticism of their religion or its followers' actions IMHO. Reform is needed in the Islamic World too - get rid of the Mullah's and Ayatollahs and let the intelligent Muslims lead ther eligion into the 21st century.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

cfalk

Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:17 pm

I don't have time right now to do a full commentary on the piece. I agree with nearly all of it. As to your question as to whether it is too high on the intellectual scale, you might be right, and not only in this forum. Most people like sound-byte thought patterns.

Put it this way. You have an awul lot of Renaults and Chevys on the roads, but very few Aston Martins.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'll be back later. I'm glad you posted the piece. I hope someone else steps in.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Andreas

Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:18 pm

Well, it sure is short reading, and therefore it is foreseeable that a few crucial points are lacking:

Quote 1: It revealed an Arab world that had resisted modernization and democracy — and become home to the most virulent anti-Americanism on the planet.

But he just says it is so...and never asks about the reasons for such behaviour, which seems to me extremely short-sighted, though it is extremely fashionable here on this Forum not to ask why but instead love to shout "kill em all and it's over" in the best Hollywood manner.
Well I don't think so and the world is certainly not a movie theater. You can't kill em all, and those surviving will hate the USA even more with all the consequences that come with THAT!

Quote 2: Hence the awful realization: preventing the next Sept. 11 will require America to engage the Arab world the way it engaged Europe and Asia a half-century ago. Totally.

He can't be serious!! The world has changed since WW II. Consequence of such a behaviour would be... see above.

One last remark, that seems to me quite remarkable coming from a high-ranking British member of the delegation of lastweeks conference on security in Munich:

He said, Al-Quaida can never be defeated by means of military, don't even dream about it, instead you have to apply police work, the best you can get, to solve the problem. YES, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!! Unfortunately nobody is interested in police work...doesn't look spectacular on the voter polls...

Regards

Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

delta-flyer

Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:44 am

Andreas, you said...Quote 2: Hence the awful realization: preventing the next Sept. 11 will require America to engage the Arab world the way it engaged Europe and Asia a half-century ago. Totally.

He can't be serious!! The world has changed since WW II. Consequence of such a behaviour would be... see above.

I am not sure which one of us is misinterpreting this quote..... I think he means that we have to engage the Arab world as in entering into a relationship of equals, as full economic partners. As you say, the world changed a great deal since WW2, but it is exactly because the US took the initiative and "engaged" Europe and Asia.

Charles....you're the Aston Martin, I presume?  Smile

Vroom, Vroom...
Pete