Watching coverage of the anti-war protests is pretty funny.
I think that the anti-war protesters (the people that actually show up to these things) break down to about 7 groups of people:
1) College students who want to go against their parents views, and feel quite rebellious in doing so. These are the same kids who weekend highlights include going to see a shitty local punk group, dying their hair pink, getting their nose pierced, and doing pretty much anything to get their parents attention. They were the kind of kids that got their ass kicked on a bi-weekly basis in high school. Full member of Amnesty International.
2) The communists and socialists. In the US, at least, most of these people have an IQ
that rivals a squirrel. They wrongly think that Marxist regimes are all peaceful, and that people like Lenin and Marx are against death and indescriminate killing. You will often find communists and socialists working (and I use that term very loosely) as English teachers and "freelance webmasters."
3) Anarchists. Like the communists and socialists they have the IQ
of a squirrel. Anarchists dont seem to grasp the concept that if their was no government, they wouldnt be sucking down that Marlboro, wearing their Birkenstocks (very comfortable sandals, though), and their Che Guevara t-shirt. The infastructure wouldnt exist. The dilusional beliefs of these people are that of a psychopath, the government is out to get them, etc. Most of the time, these people dont have a job, other than trying to find a couch to crash on for the night.
4) The PETA activist, somehow this soul is able to link the Iraq war and the treatment of sheep. Most often these people stick out like a sore thumb, instead of carrying signs like "No War with Iraq!" they carry signs like "Bush abuses animals." Basically, they are just looking for an excuse to protest. You will more than likely find the PETA activist working at a cashier at a short-lived vegetarian restraunt or as a waitress/bartender at a crappy local club.
5) Pot heads. Well, the Republicans are against pot, so were gonna protest against the war. Not so strangely, pot-head tends to live in the worst part of town because he spends most of his money on illegal drugs. Also not so strangely, they tend to have trouble holding down their part time jobs as pizza delivery guys and janitors.
6) The washed up hippy. These are the kind of people that still use the words groovy and radical. The happiest moment of their lives was when they were protesting against the Vietnam War in Washington, when their lifestyle was glorified. However, in recent years they have been deeply saddened by the backlash against the hippy lifestyle, and by showing up at these protests against the War in Iraq they feel as if they can still regain some of the lost magic. Somehow, these people tend to have white-collar well paying jobs, and their biggest expense is paying for their children's illigitimate children due to their lax parenting.
7) Militant African-Americans and Latinos. Its all whitie's fault, all they want to do is send our children into battle and see them killed. A black man is committing war crimes in Zimbabwe is okay, because the whites have kept the black man down their...for Saddam to commit war crimes is a-okay, no blacks or Latinos are being discriminated against in Iraq. These people covet their signed pictures of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, and long for the day when whitie has to pay for slavery through reparations.
Sorry if I left any of you out...feel free to add your descriptions and pictures!