david b.

Would You Go To Iraq?

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:01 pm

Here is something to think about: Since there are so many people here who want to go to Iraq and "kick their asses", most of who are too old or too young to be drafted, imagine if there was a draft and your children must go and fight. The government gives you no guarantees that they will come back alive. They can't even guarantee that they will bring back a body. Would you sent them into hell? If you support the future war in Iraq, would you go fight yourself? If not, why not?

Is it easier to "kill" someone you don't know? What if you did know them? How would you feel?

Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Superfly

RE: Would You Go To Iraq?

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:03 pm

Jcs17 and B757300 certainly would, right?
Bring back the Concorde

david b.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:05 pm

Sup.............I want to know in general.

dc863

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:35 pm

I was in Vietnam 1965-66. I served but if they said go I'd go. My heart goes out the young men and women in harms way. I'll support them before I support some leftist snot nosed freak calling for the end of so called US imperialism.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:45 pm

Been there - and kicked their ass. Would like me to do it again?

737doctor

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:58 pm

Gee Dave, I guess the above responses kinda deflate your inflammatory post, huh?
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

david b.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:59 pm

Gee Doc. How was my post inflammatory? Please explain.

Omegous

Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:59 pm

I tried to sign up for the USAF but due to some physical limitations, I wasn't able to join.

But I was as far as one could go! I'm more than willing to fight and defend.

737doctor

Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:17 pm

Because you figured it would create some stir of controversy.

Just for the record, I have not been one of the ones screaming for war. In fact, I have to listen to many knuckleheads at work that are always saying that 'we should bomb Iraq back to the Stone Age'. I hate to think of innocent civilian casualties. But the fact is that, in this day and age, few things are black and white. Sometimes, ugly things must be done to help preserve our nation's freedom and war is indeed ugly. The fact that people in our country have the freedom to speak out against the current administration and its foreign policy was bought and paid for by the blood of American soldiers. People in Iraq have no such freedom without fear of repercussion by the current regime.

My nephew just signed up for the Marine Corps and I have great respect that he chose to do so in light of the world situation. I support his decision whole-heartedly and I have the utmost respect for the men and women of our armed forces. They put themselves in harm's way so the pseudo-intellectuals on this forum (and elsewhere) will have the freedom to argue endlessly about how Bush's decisions will mean the death of us all.

I suppose you will have some brilliant reply to all of this, but I've said my piece and do not wish to have a starring role in one of these tired, neverending arguments that people on this forum try to pass off as a constructive discussion...

david b.

Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:25 pm

There are other threads like this but you don't complain. Why?

cfalk

Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:38 pm

If I am already in the armed services, of course I would fight. That would be my job.

If I was drafted, I would feel that I should do my part to defend the honor of my country, and do the best I could.

As far as sending my kids is concerned, that's a tough one. Of course you are filled with worry about what might happen. But if they were volunteers, I would, with a little reluctance, send them to do their duty with my blessings, and with my prayers.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

JetService

Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:47 pm

A lot of folks feel that technology will most certainly allow a terrorist organization to plant a very nasty explosive device in an urban area some day. Not your garden variety explosive, but one that will melt concrete; like a nuclear device. It's really hard to deny that that development WILL happen some day. Its a not an 'if', but a 'when' situation. The problem for terrorist groups today is they don't have resources to develop this type of weapon. What they need is an alliance and common goal of an established regime that HAS the resouces, facilities, capital, and capabilities to place a shroud around such development to pass along this acquired technology. Such a regime will exist some day. When it does, a certain population of people will be in grave danger. Who will they be? Who knows? When will this happen? 10 years from now? 20? 50? Who knows? But it will happen. When this does happen, I pray some other government of the world has intellegence capabilities to detect this and is able to put a stop to it before its too late. We can only hope. Now fast-forward to that time. Say a government suspects the process is happening right now; and this existing development would yield such technology, if left alone, within say 12-24 months. They would, in my opinion, have an obligation to the WORLD to do something to stop it at that moment. An obligation to stop it even if a few other governments of the world doubt their suspisions, because as you can imagine, any wrongful doubt would be horrifically catastrophic to all of us. Well, any citizen of this government that is called upon to provide service toward the effort to put an end to this threat would have no qualms about providing it considering whats at stake.
"Shaddap you!"

Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:19 pm

Would I go? Absolutely.

'Speed

N766UA

Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:37 pm

I'd go right away. I wouldn't neccessarily want to, but I feel a strong obligation to.
This Website Censors Me

Alpha 1

Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:14 pm

1. If I were of draft age, I wouldn't hesitate to go if i were drafted, trained properly and ordered to go. That goes with the territory.

2. I cannot and will not speak for a child that is 18 years old, and must make their own decision on being drafted/sent into harms way. I would hope they would do the honorable thing and serve their country, but it would be up to them, not to me.

advancedkid

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:01 am

Well, I am thinking many here in the forum have
misunderstood the question and view only one
side of the equation baring the current Iraqi
situation in mind.
However, I think the question would have
looked a lot better if it were asked like this:
Would you like to go, work and live in Iraq
when/if the sanctions are lifted?

I would say, why not? Before 1990 many
non-Iraqis lived and worked there and had
no problems at all. Iraq used to have a healthy
economy that was thriving mainly on its
petro-wealth. If the sanctions were lifted,
Iraq would probably prosper again in a matter
of a few years to come.

Best regards,
Advanced

JetService

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:26 am

Advanced, I'm certain David B. was asking if we would go and fight in Iraq if our respective countries asked us to. Your question is different. Its an interesting question nonetheless, but it needs clarified. Do you mean live there as a foreigner working or as an Iraqi citizen? I wouldn't want either, but especially being a citizen. Imagine living in a society with zero freedoms and threat of imprisonment or death for your thoughts. No thanks. I'd rather be homeless in America.
"Shaddap you!"

I LOVE EWR

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:48 am

I am of draft age and if I am drafted or even have the slightest chance of being drafted, I would go serve my duty for my country. If I understand that I have a shot of being drafted I might even go enlist for OCS and to get into the Air Force and have the opportunity to fly the planes that will take care of the axis of evil countries.

Thumper

Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:56 am

Lost a father in one war,I have flown in combat in two conflicts and I have a son who fly's F-18 Super Hornets who is sitting over there right now! Would I go? Dam right I would!

mandala499

Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:12 am

I'd go to Iraq, but for humanitarian purposes only.
I've had only minimal military training, so I wouldn't be useful on the front line.

I'll go with the Aid programme (provided someone gives me a Diplomatic passport or even better, a UN Diplomatic Passport)...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

cba

Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:03 am

Hell no! I'm not losing a leg just so Americans can drive the SUV's than run my compact car off the road.

I LOVE EWR

Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:04 am

Buy an SUV and you won't have that problem.

BTW if you think the war in Iraq is over oil you need to watch the news.

[Edited 2003-02-19 01:09:21]

B747forlife

Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:33 am

If I was of drafe age, and I was drafted, I would go because I support the war, and because it would be my civic duty to fight for my country. Right now I am even considering the Air Force Academy, and then I would have to go anyway.

Wow, these responses really blow your thread out of the water. Of course we people who are for the war know what it entails. Anyone who said they wouldn't go would be a hypocrite, and everyone knows Republicans aren't hypocrites. At least the good ones. Big grin

-Nick

srbmod

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:16 am

I would go to Iraq, especially if I were a B-52 crew member. Those flights from Barksdale would be Hell, but carpetbombing Saddam would be a lot more fun than fighting his "army" on the ground.

vafi88

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:22 am

Actually, I was seriously considering joining some part of the armed forces, but I still have a bit to goto get through my education first...and then go.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Notar520AC

Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:46 pm

The only reason I would go to Iraq was if I had a well backed-up plan for an assassination on Saddam. But knowing he has doubles, is heavily guarded, and not sure I as an American would want to be traveling over there suspicion or not, I don't think that's going to happen unless I take up my dream career with the CIA.

Just my thoughts.
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:51 pm

"Hell no! I'm not losing a leg just so Americans can drive the SUV's than run my compact car off the road."

Im afraid to touch Euro cars cuz Im scared that it will fall apart to pieces if i touch the door handle  Smile Im talking the likes of Opel Corsa, Peugeot 206 etc...

cba

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:50 pm

I'll modify my answer a bit. I'll go to Iraq to fight the day that Cheney and Rumsfeld's sons do the same.

serge

Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:59 pm

If I had to go- I would prefer to be in the air never seeing the faces of the people you actually bomb/kill. I guess if I was chosen to go- I would. Afterall someone has to go regardless, right?

But then.. I'm 14 so I don't have to worry about being drafted  Smokin cool.

...Serge

Pilot1113

Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:02 pm

Food for thought:

Those in the armed forces knew what they were getting into when they signed. They could get the call at anytime to go and neutralize a target. Yes, getting killed in action is a very real possibility. They signed up for it.

If they didn't want that, there are lots of jobs out there where getting killed isn't in the job description.

If you're wondering, yes... I would go if my country asked me. However, I am not willing to rush out and sign up at the nearest recruiting station. I'm not too keen on the 3am marches through the mud or the snow wearing nothing but sweats.

- Neil Harrison

advancedkid

Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:49 pm

Problem is, Iraq has not declared war on the
US or any other nation, as it was the case
in 1990/1991 and it's invasion of Kuawait.

Now even both of those countries have
apparently come closer in terms since then.
A "preamptive" war or strike is nothing
that could be legally justified.
This all reminds me of Waco.

Anyways, these are some points to keep in
mind and some of the reasons why I am
fully against such a war.
A simple reason is, in war innocent people
die. Or are we sure who exactly we are going
to bomb???
God bless us all.
Advanced

JetService

Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:13 pm

Advanced, I don't think war has been declared since WWII. By your standards you are saying every conflict we've been in since was unjust. I don't think that alone is an adaquate benchmark. Consider the circumstances and goals of each conflict and decide that way, not a by a formality, which would be incredibly simplistic.

Then you go on to say that you are against any war because innocent people die. Well, that is an unfortunate circumstance of war. But only the most naive when think that a lack of war would automatically mean no innocents die. On the contrary. Pacifism is another good way to let innocents die at the hands of an unchecked aggressor. Again, you're being very simplistic. If only the world was so simple. If only.
"Shaddap you!"

jaysit

Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:06 am

We don't need a draft in today's day and age (Sorry, Mr. Rangel).

But given that our military is a volunteer service, the opportunity exists for joining the military for those young men and women who are of the right age.
Remember that the military is not for everyone. I did my stint in ROTC, followed by the required years of service. However, a career in the armed forces was not for me. In any case, the rampant homophobia that exists in the military was brutal enough for anyone who wishes to live their life openly to want to leave. That having been said, military service may be just what certain armchair hawks on this forum need.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Toner

Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:40 am

I don't think it will be much of a fight. We are the sledgehammer, Iraq is the mosquito. Splat, it's over and our men are safe.

The trouble is, it's illegal, immoral, and against everything the USA has stood for.

Schoenorama

Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:07 am

To 737docter:

"Sometimes, ugly things must be done to help preserve our nation's freedom and war is indeed ugly."

Care to explain what inmediate threat Iraq, with no airfoce, no navy, no longe range missiles, poses to the freedom of the US?

"People in Iraq have no such freedom without fear of repercussion by the current regime."

People in Chile neither had such freedom under Pinochets' regime and guess which 'freedom'-loving country actively helped dictator Augusto Pinochet in force?

You should remember that many of these so-called "pseudo-intellectuals" are non US citizens who have not voted for Bush and, nevertheless, suffer direct and indirect consequences of Mr Bush's views on Foreign Policy. Bush is the president of the US, NOT of the world.

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

GDB

Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:49 am

Srbmod raises an interesting point, even with an all volunteer service, the US still seems to balk at the thought of casualties, arguably that may have allowed OBL and his top cronies to bribe their way out of Afghanistan, past those proxy troops of the Northern Alliance, (any quick look at the history of the place would have warned against using the local forces, still the US preferred them to their own and the 1000's of offered NATO troops, say what you like about France and Germany, but their troops would not be firing on US troops, like some of the 'allied' forces from 2001 are now).
So if they were not willing to risk major casualties in direct response to Sept 11th, what does that say?
To a certain Mr Hussein of Baghdad, it says don't let your forces get zapped by airpower in the desert, but make 'The Sons Of Dogs' (to use the Iraqi slang), fight for every street of every Iraqi city, like Somalia but much worse.
Like his tactics of 1991, it might not work, but somewhere, sometime, it will.
It is not only the structure of the military today that mitigates against bringing back the draft.
It looks to be politically unacceptable too.
But if North Korea kicks off, heavy casualties are unavoidable, none of this is a dig at the US forces, rather the body politic, easy to be gung-ho when every action has been a high tech turkey shoot, so far anyhow.

737doctor

Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:41 am

(I) do not wish to have a starring role in one of these tired, neverending arguments that people on this forum try to pass off as a constructive discussion...

Schoenorama: Blah, blah, blah (straining to make his voice heard, as if his opinions matter more than others)

Me:  Sleepy

SophieMaltese

Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:39 am

My brother is on inactive reserve still. If he got called back and didn't return I'd have a nervous breakdown. I am not kidding.