UAL747

I Got A Job Offer! Whoohoo! Well, Almost...

Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:40 am

Okay, well, it was an informal one. Anyway, one of my friends is dating the product manager for Diesel Jeans, whos parent company is Fossil (I honestly need to do more research before I start spouting off logistics). The position is in their International Sales and Marketing department. Anyway, she basically said she wanted me to work for their company. She wants to look over the resume, then I have an interview. The part I'm scared about however, is the fact that she told me part of the interview might be conducted in French or Chinese. She said for me to brush up on my French especially. I'm good at French, but damn, a whole interview? It's been a while. Anyway, I'm on cloud nine right now. This is just up my alley. Eventually I will be travelling between Europe and the US regularly, in particular France. WHOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Turbolet

RE: I Got A Job Offer! Whoohoo! Well, Almost...

Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:32 am

Congratulations, sounds like an excellent opportunity and don't be scared of the interview - anything can be done!

As for myself, I've been on the register for around three weeks now and haven't yet received a single job offer. My friend from the Employment and Training Corporation promised to call up her contacts and try to get me work in a travel agency or something so we'll see what she can manage...

-turbolet

Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:22 am

So... Brush up on your French. Do your best. That's all you can do.

'Speed

P.S. Congratulations. You'll do fine.

maiznblu_757

Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:18 am

This sounds like a job for Clovis... I think you need to pay him for french lessons.

boeingnut

Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:21 pm

Ual747, you speak both French and Chinese? Impressive. Im still trying to get a job in international sales, marketing, customer service, etc. Good Luck!
Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?

UAL747

Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:08 pm

Well, im minoring in Chinese, but it's kicking my ass. Thankfully, they are more interested in the fact I can speak french. I haven't had training in college in French, but took it from 4th-12th grade.........its a helluva lot easier than chinese.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

boeingnut

Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:36 pm

Ual747, are you kidding? French whupped me, with all those irregular verb tenses! Chinese is much easier to speak (once you get over the tonal nature of the language). But, memorizing characters is a royal pain. I still have to work on my characters to this day (and Ive been working on Chinese for over seven years now!)

707CMF

Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:42 pm

I confirm, French is much easier than Chinese  Wink/being sarcastic.

By the way, did you know that China really is a totalitarian country ? They force children there to speack Chinese Big grin !!!

Anyway, welcome to France !  Big thumbs up

Antoine

airways1

Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:07 am

看来这里有很多能说中文的人。

我想法文比中文容易因为汉字不好记得。

airways1

prosa

Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:23 am

UAL747,
I probably shouldn't say this, as one shouldn't rain on another's parade and all that, but it's important that you not get your hopes up too high. I don't mean the language part. It's where you said that Anyway, she basically said she wanted me to work for their company. She wants to look over the resume, then I have an interview.
"Almost" having a job is like being "almost" pregnant. Until you're told (a) that you are hired, and (b) when you are to report, you should not treat a job prospect as anything more than a prospect.
I hope I didn't come off as too disappointing, but I speak from experience, both my own and that of people I've known. Few things are a bigger letdown than to think you're certain to get a job and then not to get it at all. A bit of skepticism is advisable.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Hepkat

Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:33 am

Agreed PROSA. I remember my job hunting days getting many positive feedback, some even promising to hire me. I remember likewise getting my hopes up, for after such a great interview where they say they like you and adore you and promise you the moon and the stars, they can't possibly help but not hire you. That is until someone else does a better job of charming their pants off.

UAL747

Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:43 am

Well, I'm not an idiot. I know its not a done deal till we spit on our hands and shake. However, I am friends with this woman, and she is pretty honest with me and has a say in who gets hired. I feel pretty confident. But who knows, I may end up working for the Dallas sanitary department! Here in the US, some of them make a helluva lot more than school teachers, which is sad.

UAL747

boeingnut

Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:32 pm

Airways1:
我不同意。 我认为学中文挺容易得。 法语的语法好复杂! 如果你要用法语说过去的事情,有左右二十多种的语法。 中文只要说“我作了“,还是“我作过“,还会说“昨天我作。。。“。 好容易得!

而且,记住了汉字用好多时间,但是你努力学习的话,学汉字越来越容易!

-陆明光(aka boeingnut)