Could I Use Aviation Oil In My Car?

Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:47 am

It'd be more expensive, but what would happen?

'Speed

desertjets

RE: Could I Use Aviation Oil In My Car?

Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:57 am

As far as I know oil designed for use in aviation piston engines is also designed to work with the leaded av-gas that they use. So since it isn't formulated for automotive engines I wouldn't put it in your car.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

EGGD

Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:45 am

Isn't it possible to use oil that you've previously used to cook with in a diesel car???

Illini_152

Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:47 am

Not only that, but even the multigrade aviation oils have a much higher viscosity than their automotive equivilants.

Most cars today run on eihter 5W30 dino oil or 0W30 synthetic. Older cars might use 10W30 in the warmer months. The common aircraft grade is 15W50, with some warmer climates running straight 50 weight oil. I sure as hell wouldn't want that thick stuff running through my car's engine. Aircraft engines are air cooled and need a thicker oil, cars need a thinner oil.
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

aloges

Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:42 am

Dan, it may work with some tractors and tanks, but not with common diesel cars. Maybe the Humvee is an exception, but it's not that common...  Big grin
In some diesel cars, processed colza oil can be used as fuel, but it will result in higher wear. For example, the fuel pump(s) will have a much shorter service life if colza oil is used.
Broadly, organic fuels are based on the lipids the raw materials they are produced from contain. Process them (if necessary) and they can be used as fuels.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

galaxy5

Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:32 pm

are we talking about turbine engine aviation oil? or recip?

dont even think about using turbine oil, you will destroy your car engine.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:41 pm

Guys,

I'm not going to put aviation oil in my car. I was just wondering what would happen if I did.

Galaxy5: Recip.

'Speed

airplay

Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:07 am

I'm not going to put aviation oil in my car. I was just wondering what would happen if I did

Both lines of questioning will result in the same answer(s).....

You'll probably either destroy your engine or reduce it's life dramatically. No neccessaryily because of the formulation, but because viscosities for aircraft engines are not compatible with the average car.

T prop

Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:09 am

It is possible to use an aircraft oil in an automotive gasoline engine, Aeroshell AD65 for example is an oil that could be used. This is a SAE 30w ashless dispersant oil to which you may have to, depending on camshaft type, add an extreme pressure additive. Zinc is the EP additive in most auto oils. Also when using aircraft oil, more frequent changes are a good idea.

The use of aircraft oil was specified in the Chevrolet Power Manual back in the late 80's when running Chevrolet racing engines. I haven't seen a Chevrolet Power Manual in years, so I don't know what they recommend now.

Question is, unless you have a stockpile of aircraft oil in AD65 that is nearing its expiration date, or have a race car, why go to all the trouble and expense to use it in your car? I myself wouldn't use it in new or later model vehicles.

Now here's the disclaimer. If you use any oil in your vehicle which is NOT specified by the manufacturer, you're doing it on your own. They, the manufacturer, nor I am responsible for damage to your engine caused by using it.

T prop.