jcs17

Brilliant PETA, Just Brilliant

Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:38 pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030228/ap_on_re_us/peta_holocaust_display_3

By MICHELLE MORGANTE, Associated Press Writer

SAN DIEGO - An animal-rights campaign comparing the suffering of livestock to that of Holocaust victims is drawing sharp criticism from a leading Jewish group for "trivializing" the mass murder of Jews.

"The Holocaust on Your Plate" campaign by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, debuted this week in California and will make a national tour.

The display is a set of eight 6-foot-by-10-foot panels showing photographs of Holocaust victims — emaciated men, crowds of people being forced onto trains, children behind barbed wire, heaps of human bodies — set next to similar images of cattle, pigs and chickens.

The Anti-Defamation League denounced the project and PETA's appeal for support from the Jewish community as "outrageous, offensive and taking chutzpah to new heights."

Abraham H. Foxman, a Holocaust survivor and ADL national director, said linking the deliberate, systematic murder of millions of Jews to the issue of animal rights was "abhorrent."

PETA member Matt Prescott, the creator of the campaign, said he is Jewish and his family lost several members in Nazi concentration camps. He said the campaign was funded by a Jewish philanthropist who wishes to remain anonymous.

He said criticism of the project was expected.

"The fact is all animals feel pain, fear and loneliness," he said Friday. "We're asking people to recognize that what Jews and others went through in the Holocaust is what animals go through every day in factory farms."
--------
Seriously, this just shows how out of touch the average PETA activist is from the real world. Great comparison....jerks.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aa61hvy

RE: Brilliant PETA, Just Brilliant

Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:35 am

I love my dog just as much as the next guy. But killing a cow, and killing people are as different as night and day...Thats a stupid thing to say (What the PETA said)
Go big or go home

EGGD

Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:38 am

Jcs - For once again I agree with you, this is just rediculous... Sometimes PETA take things too far :/

cwapilot

Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:46 am

"... Sometimes PETA take things too far :/"

That's an understatement. All they ever do is take things too far. THey can't get anyone to listen to them otherwise, and they aren't actually in it for the cause of animal rights...they are in it for their own self gratification. Does this compliment or replace their strategy of handing kids "Happy MEals" at McDonald's with bloody, dismembered animals?
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:47 am

But killing a cow, and killing people are as different as night and day...Thats a stupid thing to say

Try telling that to a Hindu.  Insane

aa61hvy

Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:59 am

Ok, I should have clarified that. Killing a cow, and killing a human in the US is as different as night and day.
Go big or go home

EGGD

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:13 am

Cwapilot - I'm not aware of everything that PETA does or says, so I don't know whether they always behave like this or not...

But If you say so  Big thumbs up

jcs17

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:17 am

Adding to what Cwapilot said, when there was the "worlds largest" poultry convention in Atlanta a few years ago, some PETA losers got their dingy paws on a dump truck, filled it with chicken shit, and dumped it on a major Atlanta street.

cwapilot

RE: Eggd

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:21 am

If you have any questions, just look at their website! They proudly profess all of their antics. One of their more interesting "operations" is their anti-fur campaign in which young women walk around naked with signs.

Hole_Courtney

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:29 am

For doing this, PETA will never have any of my respect.

I respect the right of people to not eat meat. But, their advert with Rudy Guiliani (blaming his prostate CANCER on milk) and then they touch the most sacred of subjects, the holocaust, for their own anti-choice ideas.

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

777236ER

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:46 am

So PETA are stupid. So what. The KKK are stupid. If you're bitching about PETA implying the "holocaust" of animals was as bad as the millions of Jews, gypsies and homosexuals murdered, maybe you should be bitching about how the KKK incises hatred towards blacks. Just a suggestion to make you seem less hypocritical.

PETA might be insane, but that doesn't mean anyone who's against cruelty to animals is.
Your bone's got a little machine

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:48 am

Maybe at one time, PETA had some good ideas. But they've obviously been co-opted and taken over by radicals so extreme that they hav no concept of reality any more. And, since no one will even give them the time of day anymore, they keep going further and further into their radicalism to try and get attention. They do NOTHING to legitimately protect animals that are mistreated, and all they do is hurt legitimate efforts.

This one is an all-time low. The problem with PETA is they REALLY feel that animals are equal in every respect, with human beings. Do animals have some feelings? I imagine some do-my dog certainly does-she goes crazy when I come home from work, she looks very dejeceted when I leave for work. But to compare animals in a farm to the Holocaust? That's demeans those who suffered and died at the hands of the Nazi's, comparing them with animals being harvested to feed people.

It's disgusting, and it's reprehensible. The best think to do is to just laugh at their lunacy, and ignore them as the irrelevant loonies that they are.

cwapilot

RE: 777236er

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:52 am

One big difference may be that the KKK is a discredited, backwater "organization" comprised of the dregs of society, and denounced by all quarters of society. PETA is embraced by the Hollywood elite and many left wing politicians world wide. Membership in PETA is "trendy" and entitles people in some elitist liberal ciricles to social recognition. This, when, in fact, they should be put on the same list as the KKK.

Also, take a pill...nobody has said anything about those opposed to animal cruelty being insane. They are saying exactly what you said..."PETA are stupid."

deltairlines

Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:31 am

PETA has never gotten any respect from me, and this episode just makes me sick. The Holocaust was one of the worst, if not the worst, human rights violations in the history of mankind. Comparing that to chickens, which is a popular food around the world, is wrong. These wacked liberals need to get in touch with reality, and I wouldn't be surprised to see America rise up against these fools.

Jeff

skyservice_330

Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:04 am

PETA is doing nothing new that any other activist group hasn't done. Shocking the public, getting noticed and getting people talking, WHCH IS EXACTLY WHAT IS GOIGN ON HERE! So in a way, the campaign has worked cause it was so good it got JCS talking or posting about it (maybe not the positive side of it, but still got him talking) I am a PETA supporter, I may not agree with their tactics or campaign methods but I support there goal/mission and the good work they do.

Regards.

AC320

Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:59 am

I'm making a mental note to eat more meat.
fuddle duddle

IMissPiedmont

Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:10 pm

I have been a meber of PETA for years and proud of it. In fact tonight I ate a big old piece of pig. Very tasty indeed.

Errrr, you did mean People Eating Tasty Animals didn't you?

I know, old***********
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:02 pm

Jcs17,

You carp on with the biggest load of bollocks mate. If you can't see through your fat laden dinner the dreadful and inhumane treatment of our food animals then you are bigger and more disgusting fool than I thought you were before.

Go PETA. I might not necessarily agree with everything they do, but at least they are there protecting animal rights.

If you knew the filth and sub standard hygeine of most slaughterhouses or how they operate with low paid illegal immigrants then you wouldn't be making such a *flaccid* statement.

Instead of take take take, why not look at the world around you and make a change rather than criticise an organisation that has good in it's mantra rather than hate.

Your eating your own shit mate. Read *Fast Food Nation*.

mb

Alpha 1

Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:34 pm

Sorry, Mx, but they're goal is not to protect animals any more. Their goal is to try to make people guilty for doing things like fishing, drinking milk, eating meat, and stuff like that.

If you want to support a group that wants to ban fishing because it doesn't take into consideration the feelings of the fish, well, go right ahead. They're a bunch of lunatics, period.

jcs17

Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:06 pm

If you believe that the slaughter houses ought to be compared to the Holocaust, you really ought to get your head examined. A purely tasteless advertising campaign, but in the end it really tells you what PETAs ideas are--animals are superior to humans, people should eat a vegan diet, hunting and fishing are wrong, leather jackets are wrong, rat testing is wrong...basically, the same old shit.

Listen, I am against animal abuse, I think if you commit a crime like animal cruelty you ought to be charged with a felony and locked up for a while. But, there is a difference between these beliefs and the radical PETA agenda. I dont take people who feel the need to dump chicket shit all over an Atlanta street to get their point across. I dont care about the chickens in slaughterhouses, I dont know what they feel, their level of pain, and you wanna know something...neither do you!

The bottom line, Mx5, is that in your uber-sensitivity you blindly throw yourself to these groups throwing away all rational thought.

Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:55 am

http://www.masskilling.com/

Above is the link that explains quite clearly their latest campaign, if you at least read the subscript involved you will understand *why* they have made the comparisons. It's chilling to realise the same modern factory farming techniques are extremely similar to what Jews, Gypsies and Homosexuals went through with concentration camps. This is the point they are making.

As I have said a squillion times, I do not accept all of PeTA's methods or campaigns just as I don't with the government that I voted in. There are millitants in most organisations, these are the ones that get the most publicity when by far the majority are peacful.

The people of PeTA are not fools and certainly whilst they encourage people to become vegan, they realise that there is only so far that can take them. Take for instance the Burger King popup for a vegetarian burger on their site.

I don't think it's wrong to encourage people to look at how thier food animals are treated and for PeTA to go out of it's way to ensure a better lot for them.

But unfortunately a lot of people are either too stupid, ignorant, selfish or simply have no concept of being humane.

mb

lubcha132

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:21 am

what a bunch of (nasty people). I think the cows have it made compared to the horrible torture my grandparents and millions of Jews went through. At least according to Jewish "halacha" (law), if the blade has a nick in it such that it will not be one quick painless procedure for the animal, then it cannot be used and must be fixed.

Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:56 am

An extract from the abovelink:

""""The exhibit was funded by a Jewish philanthropist who has spent the past 25 years affiliated with the world's foremost Holocaust organizations and who recognized the moral and ethical imperative of making the public aware of the parallels between the Jewish genocide of WWII and the horrific and inhumane treatment of animals raised and slaughtered for food. As observers walk around the display, they will gain an understanding of the common roots of victimization and violence and how they can help fight these injustices through decisions that they make every time they eat.""""

It was a person of the Jewish faith that funded this.

mb

AC320

Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 pm

and that makes it okay? Lot's of people do stupid things no matter the faith. I like PETA even less now.
fuddle duddle

Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:03 pm

AC320,

If you cannot see the obvious parallels then you must be blind.

And PeTA are certainly not trivialising the treatment of Jews in the second world war. Read the subtext.

mb

AC320

Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:05 pm

I'm not blind, I just don't agree with you or practically anything these people say.
fuddle duddle

Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:42 pm

AC320,

So you are telling me that the tragedy that is factory farming is a good thing?

That food animals kept in conditions that would make most people throw up and pass on that supersized burger?

If we didn't have groups like PeTA and the RSPCA how badly do you think faceless execs would go in the treatment of animals and how our modern day food chain works?

I *only* eat organic foods for a number of reasons. Mainly because the slaughtering practices and treatment of the animals is humane and without harm to the environment or the use of excessive pesticides and hormones.

Intensive feedlotted animals are treated as a commodity rather than an animal. Do you realise the slaughtering practices in your feedlotted cattle factories means that meat from possibly over a hundred (or more) different cattle could have gone into the burger patty that you are eating?

Is it too much to ask that factory farms are banned and our food animals treated with an ounce of compassion to their health and well being?

Most people don't want to think of how their food gets to them because they wouldn't touch it again if faced with the reality of factory farming. The same with the processed food shite that people shovel into their mouths.

If any educated and compassionate persone can say to me that they would be happy to visit a factory farm and not be revolted or want to throw up then I will concede that you are either insensitive or a serial killer.

It's not about stopping people eating meat (even thought that is PeTA's mantra - they are happy just getting small gains in animal rights and the decent treatment of them) it's about resposible, economic and humane treatment of our food animals.

Giving them a decent diet and not force feeding them, making sure they have sunshine, fresh air and a clean living environment that is not overcrowded and full of disease. These are pretty simple things to achieve and I don't think any humane person would disagree. Most people would not like to see ANY animal suffer.

Would you be happy to know that whilst your eating your chicken that the particular animal suffered a horrible and painful existence with it's beak cut off so it can't attack other birds (they need space BTW) and crammed into a sunless barn where hormone adulterated feed is all they get to eat and contaminated water is the go? Or that they get thrown into boxes to be shipped off to slaughter? Or that the electro stunner kills only 50% of the birds and it's the throat slit by the conveyor after being hung up on hooks that finishes the job. But wait, some are still not dead and finally die after being dunked in scalding water to remove the feathers?

And that is just chickens..

The cattle feedlot is a whole lot worse..

The technology is out there to make sure this experience for our food animals is as least as unstressful as possible, but in the interest of making sure that you have the cheapest food available animals are treated in such a disgusting manner.

A few chooks huh? I hear you say. Not a few. Millions upon millions accross the planet suffer this fate.

Look in your heart and decide for yourself. I did.

mb

AC320

Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:00 pm

I looked in my heart, it said pass the beef
fuddle duddle

AerLingus

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:47 am

I am utterly shocked and disgusted. This act by PETA is simply indefencible. I'm actually considering writing a letter.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:06 am

Mx_5boy proves once again that nuts are a magnet to like-minded nuts.  Laugh out loud

747-451

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:31 am

What do you want from an extremist terrorist organization run by liberals...this is the same group that sent a fax to Arafat expressing outrage that a donkey was used as a "suicide bomber" but expressed no outrage that that same act killed lots of people. Clueless, simply clueless. I wonder how many homeless people they step over on their way to splatting paint on Anna Wintour?? There are somany issues that are more worthy and they are such hypocrites...

MD-90

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:32 am

(Cue Copland's Rodeo Hoedown)

Beef. It's what's for dinner!

learpilot

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:58 am

I've been debating what I want for lunch, and this thread helped me immensely. KFC it is! 3 piece dinner, original with some mashed potatoes & slaw. DEELISH!
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

747-451

MX_5 Boy

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:22 am

If we didn't have groups like PeTA and the RSPCA how badly do you think faceless execs would go in the treatment of animals and how our modern day food chain works?....

Unfortunately, while Peta is busy splatting paint and engaingin in endless shrieking and screeching while misusing a word like "holoccaust", the Neuse River in North Carolina is being ruined. It appears they don't do much about the factory farming, an issue you mention. If they would apply the same "guerilla" tactics in NC that they apply at "fashion shows", perhaps that state would not be falling into the morass of factory farming, hog waste and bribery. Where is PETA's activism in this tradgedy of aimal cruelty and environmental damage??

http://www.hogwatch.org/

PETa is nothing more than show boating and ego, not real action. There is more to animal rights and environmentalism than gratuitous nudity, paint splatters and vandalizing fashion designer's offices.

jaysit

Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:59 am

"So PETA are stupid. So what. The KKK are stupid. If you're bitching about PETA implying the "holocaust" of animals was as bad as the millions of Jews, gypsies and homosexuals murdered, maybe you should be bitching about how the KKK incises hatred towards blacks. Just a suggestion to make you seem less hypocritical.

PETA might be insane, but that doesn't mean anyone who's against cruelty to animals is."

Well, said. However, equating membership in PETA to that of the KKK is the kind of mindset we are dealing with on these forums.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

seb146

Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:36 am

I grew up in the ranching country of Oregon, so I know what kind of conditons cattle are raised in. I have also been fishing and seen trout and bass flopping about gasping for life then being gutted. We all need to eat. I know these animals are not raised in the most sterile and sanitary conditions, but this keeps people from dying.
On the other hand, millions died in the Holicaust at the hands of sick people. Tortured daily and thrown aside with no thought as to who or why. I believe cows, chickens, fish, ducks, geese all have a purpose-to keep us fed and, in some cases, warm. Nazis belived Jews, Gypsies and gays did not have a purpose and were treated as such.
Here in the Northwest, farms are becoming more earth-friendly. Two weeks ago, I went back to ranching country where I grew up. The feed lots are still there but the smells from them are not. The worst smells I encountered were from the vegitable processing plants. Should we then boycott vegans untill they clean up our air? Should we spray the fields with chemicals until companies clean up the smells? Let's not think about the people that will starve. My agenda comes first.
BEFORE YOU FLAME ME OUT OF EXISTANCE: I have NO PROBLEM with anyone who chooses to not eat meat because of their thoughts. I have NO PROBLEM with people who choose to not wear fur or leather because of their thoughts. I agree with their decision and support their decision as long as they agree with my decision to eat meat and wear fur/leather. If I am invited to the home of someone who does not eat meat because of their thoughts, I will eat what is set before me and I will not wear leather/fur to their home. It is called respect.
Life in the wall is a drag.

747-451

Seb146

Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:06 am

excellent post! I agree,with your point of view.

skyservice_330

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:00 am

"If you want to support a group that wants to ban fishing because it doesn't take into consideration the feelings of the fish, well, go right ahead. They're a bunch of lunatics, period."

Who says? You?

Don't believe what happens in slaughter houses, open your eyes and watch the video below:

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/getvideo.asp?video=free_me

Not enough? Here are a few others:

http://www.petatv.com/veg.html

Enjoy your meat.

seb146

Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:13 am

One other thing to think about:

Natives had only spears and arrows to hunt with. Here in North America, they would shoot deer, buffalo, moose and elk and track them for miles until the animal collapsed. Keep in mind this was their source of food and clothing. And also keep in mind the animals would be in pain and be suffering for hours. More so than cattle today. That went on for thousands of years and still goes on today.
Life in the wall is a drag.

aa61hvy

Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:16 am

I see Pamela Anderson is a member of PETA, wouldn't mind if she did the protest with the Aussies. I know she is old blah blah blah, but still easy on the eyes.
Go big or go home

MD-90

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:51 pm

You do have to admit that that video is kind of sad (although the song is hilarious).

But that's nothing compared to some of the abortion videos I've seen. Why do these people protest the killing of animals and not the killing of humans? Hypocrites.

aa61hvy

Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:53 pm

Before I forget, Didn't Pam Anderson wear a fur coat a lot? Maybe someone has a picture?
Go big or go home

skyservice_330

Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:40 pm

"But that's nothing compared to some of the abortion videos I've seen. Why do these people protest the killing of animals and not the killing of humans? Hypocrites."

What garbage. There are plenty of anti-abortion groups out there. That doesn't necessarily mean that members of PETA are for abortion. The same could be said about anti-abortion activists. If they are against ending life, why does it matter if that life is of a human or an animal. They could be called hypocrites just as much as PETA can. By the way you wrote that it almost seems as if you believe that just because someone supports PETA they aren't against abortion, and if this is the case then you are sorely wrong my friend.

747-451

Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:14 am

I see Pamela Anderson is a member of PETA...

some spokesperson for Peta, after watching "VIP" the other night, she was wearing leather shoes and other cast members were wearing, shoes, pants etc...more celebrity hypocrisy and PETA nonesense...

jaysit

Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:55 am

"I see Pamela Anderson is a member of PETA...

some spokesperson for Peta, after watching "VIP" the other night, she was wearing leather shoes and other cast members were wearing, shoes, pants etc...more celebrity hypocrisy and PETA nonesense..."

Actually Pam Anderson (why do I even know this???) wears leather from animals who died of natural causes. There are clothing and shoe stores that specialize in leather goods from such sources. Depending on your point of view (or how much slack you wish to give Ms Anderson) this could also be hypocrisy.

While I think that a lot of celebs who support PETA are hypocritical dunces (rocker Chrissy Hynde comes to mind - she went on record saying how she doesnt eat meat, but really, really loves wearing leather, and then launched into a campaign to prevent leather exports from India because she was concerned that the sacred cattle were being separated from their owners (??)), one can respect PETA's goals of minimizing the suffering of livestock, lab animals, etc through more humane killing methods and through advances in clinical and safety trials and advances in statistical methods. Why subject a hapless rabbit's eyes to megadoses of toxic substances when advances in biology and statistics will allow for lower doses, or the elimination of such tests altogether. The FDA which had traditionally been slow to advocate such changes (for obvious reasons since human safety is their paramount objective) has moved to the forefront in researching improved and more humane testing methods.

Why do some of you froth at the mouth and automatically make this an abortion debate? Their are numerous pro-life vegetarians in the world, as there are pro-choice meat eaters. The issues are completely separate.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

MD-90

Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:56 am

Maybe it's just me, but I consider a human life to be MUCH more valuable than an animal.

Killing a baby is an atrocity, killing an animal means food on the table.

skyservice_330

Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:17 am

Life is Life. Plain and Simple.

747-451

Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:46 am

Life is Life. Plain and Simple. That may or may not be true according to AlQaida.

Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:14 pm

Alpha1,

Your the one with the *nutcase* attitude. Your too much of a consumer and ignorant enough to not care. End story.

MD-90,

Human feotus aside. In Australian mega slaugterhouses aborted cow feotus's are used in the food chain.. Disgusting.

You guys are arguing a missive. It's about the treatment of our food animals not high fashion or the like.

Eat your heaping helping of overprocessed shit.

But if you can't reconcile the way your food was treated then enjoy.

Humane is how we want to be treated.

No person answered me in that they would be happy to eat food whereby it had been treated so badly.

Then you are in the ignorant and accountable.
mb

Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:53 pm

Guys,

And I forgot to add the USA government is mandating the school lunch program be allowed to accept Irradiated meat, which means that radiation is used to kill bacteria and bugs.

A good thing if it is proven safe, which it hasn't, but also allows your mega food conglomerate to supply irradiated food that is free from e-coli and the like but may still be unsanitary. It kills the e-coli and such bugs, but will allow fecal contamination amount to got through the roof.

Now your kids are eating feaces, courtesy of big corporate America and your government.

Your food has *shit in it*.

Just make sure when you ask for a supersize on that junk filth to add - I'll have a heaping box of innards, feaces and diseased animal protein thankyou.

Look at what you eat.

mb