racko

Bawdy Anti-war Message At Jay Leno

Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:34 am

LOL!

The the russian pop-group t.a.t.u. (you know, the lesbians) performed their across-europe hit "All The Things She Said" at the Jay Leno show. Before the show, they were told that they're not allowed to kiss each other and to say anything about Iraq on stage. However, they played a trick on Jay and wore a shirt with a very bawdy cyrillic swear, which softened translated said: "To Hell with your war". Jay Leno didn't note anything, and on saturday several russians newspapers featured a feature of a smiling Jay Leno with the 2 girls and "To Hell with your war". The producer of the show now fears she'll be fired. The next day they were scheduled for a performance at the Jimmy Kimmel Show they were forbidden to wear anything with russian words on it. Instead, the girls wore 2 shirts saying: "censored!"

So much about the free American media btw...

Alpha 1

RE: Bawdy Anti-war Message At Jay Leno

Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:53 am

What a non-story this is Racko. ROTFL.

Jay Leno, being a comedian, probably had a great laugh at it in private.

This isn't exactly going to change the course of anything, will it?

Eric505

Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:59 am

Who cares!!!
They have about as much say as the another past guest on Jay Leno this week: Dennis Miller.
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:06 am

Exactly, two Russian dykes wear a shirt in Russian (note, the people who watch Leno read English?), get away with something, so Racko and the Russian press try to make it some big anti-war victory!  Laugh out loud

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:12 am

Jay Leno, being a comedian, probably had a great laugh at it in private.

Cmon Alpha 1, you have taken it a bit too far here.

Leno, a comedian? Puhleese.  Smile

racko

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:13 am

What concerns me more is that people are not allowed to their opinion on American TV shows...in the Nazi-time, this was part of the "Gleichschaltung".

[Edited 2003-03-01 22:15:41]

mls515

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:31 am

Obviously it's easier for these two to formulate an opinion on war than it is to formulate their own songs!

Mexicana757

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:46 am

Hmmmm kind of weird that the media basically ABC and NBC are censoring the public. When they themselves get cencoreed by the governmnet they get angry and take the government to court.

I wonder if they censored them because they aren't citiznes.

but it was wrong for ABC and NBC to do that, but i guess they did it since their Late night programs are entertainment.

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:53 am

That's pretty funny .. I like it

ADG

Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:10 am

Хуй :

I had to think what that means in context; you see, Хуй is Russian for "dick" and Война is "war".

Put in context it is more "Fuck the war", not "To hell with your war"; as they aren't specifying exactly which war and who's war, but making a generalised statement (even if it is in slang); but we all know what "war" they would be commenting on

aa61hvy

Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:21 am

You dont see anyone on Late Night with Conan doing that crap.
Go big or go home

RayChuang

Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:33 am

You know, something like what happened on The Tonight Show could get NBC hit with a big fine from the FCC. The FCC views dimly anything that can be considered a pejorative even if it's not in English.

cedarjet

Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:37 am

I don't believe that guests on an American show would be told what they can and can't say. No way has freedom of speech been eroded that badly. This is the USA for god's sake, not Burma.

I really like the single btw, great song, great video.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Schoenorama

Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:43 am

Come on you guys, the point of this thread is not WHAT it said on the T-Shirt, of the show that they were on. THE point is that they were not allowed to say anything about Iraq while on the show.

That's really funny, 'cause all one sees on US media is PRO WAR ON IRAQ things. Shouldn't that be censored as well?
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

desertjets

Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:54 am

I don't think the US media is pro war or anti war for that matter... they are far too afraid of offending sponsors rather than the government when it comes to these matters.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:57 am

Racko, Schoenorama, Cedarjet,

I think some of you are missing the point; this is not a "freedom of speech" issue. The teens were appearing on a private network, which has every right to decide that outright political statements don't belong on a comedy show. I'm opposed to the war, and I'm certainly not angry at the young women, but I understand NBC's concern about a political statement being expressed on an entertainment program, especially in this manner.

Had this been a serious political talk show or a news program then yes, some of your complaints would have been more valid.

racko

Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:21 am

I don't think anybody should be told what to say or not to say, no matter what kind of show they're in. Remember, they were told "don't speak about Iraq", not "don't speak about politics" or "don't speak about anything but your music".

Schoenorama

Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:34 am

To PHX-LJU:

I do understand that private networks have their own policies, but my point is that the only opinions that seem to be 'censored' are those against a war on Iraq.

Not so long ago, CNN rejected running a Anti-War ad during Larry King Live. Their reason was that the network had a policy not to accept issue ads on regions in conflict. Now that sounds really nice, but mayby, it also has to do something with the fact that CNN already has invested quite a large amount of money in setting up a base in Baghdad, in the event there is a war. I reckon that somehow, CNN would like to gain that investment back.

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:45 am

Cmon Alpha 1, you have taken it a bit too far here.

Leno, a comedian? Puhleese.

ROTFLMAO. That's funny, Avi.  Big grin Maybe he's no Johnny Carson, but I like him a lot more than Letterman.

JetService

Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:07 am

Racko, you can relax. Jay Leno's show is a private entity. they can censor their material all they want. It fact, its their Constitutional right to do so. You need to understand that the Bill of rights applies to the government. The government can't tell Leno he can't show it. THAT would be censorship. If the decision comes from the producers or whomever related to the show, then its nothing but a business decision. Again, its their right. You obviously don't like the decision. Well, tough; its a free country.
"Shaddap you!"

airplay

Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:17 pm

I'm not all that surprised that the major US networks censor opinons on the pending Iraq war or anything that contradicts US foreign policy.....A.Net does it too!

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:26 pm

Again, Airplay, there is no law against this. Why can't you figure that out. NBC is a private company, and censorship, if you want to call it that, is perfectly legal. They censor their programs for airing, and this is no different. It's a non-story, except to ardent ones like you that simply can't stand the U.S.

Again, you are piss poor in your knowlegde of the U.S, or how it works. If what you say is true, we wouldn't have seen any news on the anti war protests, is that not correct? If what you say is true, then there would be no reporting on the bickering in the UN, or in NATO, would there?

Again, you don't know what you talk of. But do keep it up, it is entertaining enough to see you make a fool of yourself.  Laugh out loud

L-188

Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:27 pm

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION v. PACIFICA FOUNDATION, 438 U.S. 726, 98 S.Ct. 3026 (1978).

This the the famouse George Carlin case that established the FCC's right to regulate profanity on public airwaves.....which NBC and all radio and television transmit on. I would have to have to read the opinion but I put money down that the opinion isn't limited to english versions of the words.

There could be some pretty hefty fines comming down for either NBC or more appropriatly the band if they pulled a fast one on NBC for this. If they chose to pursue it.

The videotape doesn't lie.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

737doctor

Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:59 pm

Schoenorama, what in the heck are you spouting off about now?

I see more news stories about anti-war demonstrations and people speaking out publicly against the war than pro-war stories. The media in the United States has a decided liberal slant if anything. Once again, you're talking about things of which you have no concept.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

delta-flyer

Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:13 pm

I don't think anybody should be told what to say or not to say, no matter what kind of show they're in.....

....but my point is that the only opinions that seem to be 'censored' are those against a war on Iraq.

Gentlemen, whoever pays for the microphone can damn well dictate what can be said or not. If these people would like to express themselves, they can get their own media, or find one that is sympathetic to their cause.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

mirrodie

Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:34 pm

Obviously it's easier for these two to formulate an opinion on war than it is to formulate their own songs! Very funny! How true.

As much as I like their song, these two young women are one hit wonders whose album is a disgrace and whose only thrust to fame is claiming to be lesbians.

MTV ran a clip saying that their claim to being gay was mostly a product of marketing. So it's much more likely that they are 'playing' it off that they are gay. Not my opinion, just what I saw on MTV.

At 16, they can't even begin to fathom serious human relationships, but they think they are lesbians.

[Edited 2003-03-02 07:35:22]
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

airplay

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:11 am

Again, you don't know what you talk of. But do keep it up, it is entertaining enough to see you make a fool of yourself.

There's an example right there. Alpha1 can call me a fool, idiot, etc. and get away with it. I call him a name and my post gets deleted.

It's not a matter of whether or not I'm against establishing a minimum level of quality on the forum, it's whether or not the policy is evenly enforced.

Alpha1 ,you must be WAY up one of the moderator's lower intestinal tracts.

Anyway....I just have to mention today's Doonesbury. With respect to his father, an unidentified person tells the president "but you've got more to show for it! By the time you're done you'll have 3 wars going!" There's more to it and it's funny as hell. If you're quick you can check it out at:

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/

Bwahahahahaha! I guess Gary Trudeau is anti-American too. No wait, he's American so he can't be. Well I guess he won't get that comic published, because they will surely censor it! Oh wait, it got published all over the world.

Smile

Now as far as "private companies" go, how come the major networks don't have a problem with airing continuous violence, non-stop sexual induendo, nudity, foul language, stories about how Indian girls are cerimoniously circumcised, how Iranian women are mal-treated, how many children Michael Jackson diddled, the latest British royal family scandel, or even gory real life murder scenes? Those things make ratings thats why!

But why no anti-war comments? My bet is that they are currently under a gag order that was issued by the government, executed by the network heads and trickled down to shows like Leno and Letterman. Just like any other nervous regime does before starting an unpopular war. Go ahead and make all the risque sexual references you want, just don't go around making anti-war statements. For gosh sakes! What if the Iraquis heard it! They might think that Americans aren't all brainwashed sheep that blindly follow whatever the President says without question.

Next thing you know the government want extraordindary authority to increase it's use of wire tapping, allow "secret arrests" where they don't have to disclose the identity or location of the person arrested, and allow the president to strip Americans' citizenship if they are found to have supported organizations deemed "terrorist" by the Administration, even if they know nothing about alleged links to terrorism. Oh wait...they already suggested that!

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:26 am

My bet is that they are currently under a gag order that was issued by the government, executed by the network heads and trickled down to shows like Leno and Letterman.

ROTFLMAO. And you live in Canada, just north of here? And you REALLY BELIEVE THIS? HAHAHAHAHA!! Airplay, you look more foolish by the minute! It's really getting sad!

There's no gag order. If that were the case, there'd be no discussion on the networks at debating the wisdom of the war, and believe me, there is debate going on. There are a lot of people against the war getting on the airwaves, even FOX, amazingly enough.

It shows just how little you know of this country, Airplay. I joked with OO-OAG earlier that he's right up there with Indianguy. He's not, but I can tell you that you certainly are. You have no concept of America, and, coming from someone north of the U.S. I find that amazing!

Airplay, in complete seriousness-and I've asked you this time and time again-where does this intense hatred of the U.S. come from? What gives you such loathing of this country? It sure isn't because you know what this country is about, because you've proven in your posts you don't have the first clue about the U.S., it's people, or how it works. Where does it come from?

airplay

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:10 pm

ROTFLMAO. And you live in Canada, just north of here? And you REALLY BELIEVE THIS? HAHAHAHAHA!! Airplay, you look more foolish by the minute! It's really getting sad!

Yah..I guess you're right Alpha1. The US government would never lie or cover up anything would they??

Watergate, Iran/Contra, Sexing up Interns, CIA LSD experiements, Agent Orange, Gulf War Syndrome, Tailhook, Patrio missles, Whitewater , I think they were all just framed.

Do you really think my little theory is all that unbeleiveable?

There's no gag order. If that were the case, there'd be no discussion on the networks at debating the wisdom of the war, and believe me, there is debate going on. There are a lot of people against the war getting on the airwaves, even FOX, amazingly enough.

Simple math. How many people watch Leno? How many people watch the news?

What's the average IQ of each? If you want the longest reach, with coverage of the "dimmest bulbs" you don't attack the news. You attack the mind candy shows.

I've told you again and again Alpha1, I don't hate the US. Of course you ignore those posts and ask me the same question over and over.

Where do my opinions come from? Surprise surprise. Americans. I deal with Americans every day. I conduct business in the US. I have long philosophical discussions with Americans over dinner fairly often. As much as I respect the people and their countries, I am sometimes surprised by the nature of the questions I am asked and also amazed by the forthrightness of the person asking.

What do we talk about?

1) How they percieve Canada as a failure in Democracy
2) How Canada has a health care system that actually kills people
3) How ridiculous it is that we are denied guns
4) How we harbor terrorists who are just waiting to sneak across the border
5) How the US has saved Canada in various wars
6) How outrageous our accents are
7) How polite but relatively dim-witted Canadians are
8) How our money is worthless
9) How we should become the 51st state...or wait until we're taken over
10) How the US can take us over no problem
11) How Canada is a nice place to hunt and fish, but it really has nothing to offer Americans in the way of business
12) How the US can't compete against Canadian subsidized companies

Then theres the occasions when they talk about their own great country and how:

1) West Virgina isn't a state...it's just the west part of Virginia
2) The US has liberated or saved every country on earth at least once
3) Americans are greated with open arms everywhere in the world
4) It's great to zip across to Mexico for a good time...but don't tip too much and spoil it for everyone
5) Mandatory gun ownership in some counties makes them safer communities
6) That isn't an 18 billion dollar farm subsidy...it's just fair
7) We're quickly running out of fresh water...but Canada's got lots
8) Kyoto? Is that some kind of Sushi dip?
9) CNN and USA today are the most colorful news sources in the world!
10) I'm not payin' just for some homeless lazy bastard to get an operation!
11) I'm not payin' just for some homeless retired widow to get some heart medicine!
12) Turkey? What have they done for US lately...

Obviously I can find this kind of ignorance on both sides of the border but I tend to find Canadians on average are much more informed about their neighbors (and the rest of the world) than Americans. Many Americans I know seem to be very isolated. Don't they watch the news? (Back to my original point) They certainly can quote what they saw on Leno the night before or they can tell me what the top ten on Letterman was.

The main difference though is that I find that Americans (in my opinion) seem to be more upset that Canadians just don't follow their lead. They get upset if you dare challenge their brand of democracy, law, morality, econimics or foreign policy or foreign policy. When I suggest that Canada is doing just fine by informing them of our trade relationship, our high standard of living, our clean safe cities, our longer lifes, lower infant mortality, healthier population etc, they see it as some sort of challenge or slight, but have no idea that their original questions were just as loaded.

It doesn't mean I still don't enjoy their company, their business and their opinion. I don't hate them. I don't hate the US. I just try to voice my opinions whether they are positive or negative, or whether it's about the US, Canada or any other country, and whether or not you or anyone else likes it or not. This isn't some popularity contest and I don't treat it as such by agreeing with everyone. You don't have to agree either. Really. Don't feel so threatended. It may not be a free forum, but you still have control of your mind (I assume).

By the way. I'd like to hear your opinion of the Doonesbury comic. Is Trudeau a commie or what?

kolobokman

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:26 pm

This threat needs to be locked. I see the word ХУЙ (FUCK) on the picture. I'm offended
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

KAUSpilot

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:38 pm

Airplay, you have some serious anger problems. I am yet to meet a single person in the US that has any kind of sincere dislike for canada. Yes we make good natured jokes about canadians, but outside of a few political wackos most people have a very favorable opinion of canada. 99% of the people here don't care at all about politics in Canada, as long as you stay out of our politics we'll stay out of yours.

STT757

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:40 pm

Freedom of Speech only covers you in terms of dealing with the Government and public protesting.

You cannot go around your work place (or Muscians making appearances on NBC) and expect to do or say anything, they make their own rules. Censorship doesn't apply when the Private companies or private homes are the venue.

If you don't like NBC's rules then go someplace else, it's that simple. No one can or should force a company to host anyone they do not want, they should have the right to create their own workplace rules.

The networks are not required to cover the Presidents pro war speeches, some times they don't. SO why should they cover a couple of teenage lesbians anti war propaganda, those girls are not there because of their brains or even their singing ability (cough-lipsynking) but because of their young girl looks who's kissing scene in their video (not even with tongue) turns on little European boys and old European pedophiles.

It wasn't the FCC (Federal Communication Commision) who told these girls/lesbians what to say, it was NBC. NBC is a private company owned by General Electric, not the US Government.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

AerLingus

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:44 pm

This is not a case of free speech being violated nor is it a case of censorship.

A talkshow books individuals or groups for a specific reason (i.e. musical groups for the purpose of musical entertainment and light conversation, promotion of the album, etc).

The group should consider it a privelige that they were invited on a famous late-night program to hawk their album. This is a case of a musical group being invited onto the television show to perform and discuss their music. They were booked on the show for that specific reason.

If they want to protest the war they can do it on their own time and money, not the time and money of the network and the advertisers.

I hate censorship as much as anyone else, but let's save the allegations of censorship for something serious, shall we?
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:36 pm

Simple math. How many people watch Leno? How many people watch the news?

Simple common sense (which you seem to lack): Leno isn't a forum for political discussion, it's a comedy show. The news stations ARE the forum for such discussion. It has nothing to do with math, Airplay.

As for the rest, you deny it, but you're angry, and you hate Americans because of the opinions of those you deal with. You say you don't, but it's so obvious that you do. There's no doubt.

And you complain about Americans being naive? What about you? You believe our press is controlled by Washington; you believe that it somehow is a violation for a comedy show to control their own content; You don't understand it's people or it's form of government.

It's really said, to be honest.

Schoenorama

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:44 pm

To 737doctor:

"Thank goodness we have a president with the courage to protect our country." So says former Tennessee senator and Law & Order actor Fred Thompson in a new 30-second TV ad voicing support for President Bush and the administration's stance on Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Thompson wrote the ad and stars in it.

The group behind the commercial, which airs through Tuesday on Fox News and CNN, is Citizens United. The group is dedicated to "traditional American values." (Source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/2003-03-02-stars-war_x.htm)

So CNN rejects an anti-war ad (see reply # 17) but accepts a pro-war ad. Interesting.

Look what Andrew Tyndall, a news analyst recently stated in USA Today:

"Of 414 stories on the Iraqi question that aired on NBC, ABC and CBS between Sept. 14 and Feb. 7, Tyndall says that the vast majority originated from the White House, Pentagon and State Department. Only 34 stories originated from elsewhere in the country, he says." In other words, these major networks take for granted whatever the White House, Pentagon and State Department tell them. That's a very easy way to carry out journalism, don't you think?
(Source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/mediamix/2003-02-24-media-mix_x.htm)

Also interesting is the fact that more and more US internet users turn to European news-sites to gather more independent news: "American visitors are telling us they are unable to find the breadth of opinion we have on our web site anywhere else because we report across the political spectrum rather than from just one perspective" states Jon Dennis, deputy news editor of the Guardian Unlimited web site.

Mike Smartt, editor-in-chief of BBC News Online: "Page views on the site have risen between 10 and 20 per cent and feedback tells us that visitors come to us for more impartial, even-handed news coverage as American reportage can be rather US-centric."
(Source: Article 21 Feb 2003 at http://www.journalism.co.uk/news/story576.html)

airplay

Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:04 am

Airplay, you have some serious anger problems. I am yet to meet a single person in the US that has any kind of sincere dislike for canada.

Who's talking about "dislike" for a country? You're illustrating exactly what I'm talking about. When someone states their negative or uninformed view of anything Canadian, I don't label them "anti-Canadian". That's way too strong for someone who is talking about a single issue.

And, how many times to I have to say I don't hate the US before I stop getting accused of it?

And you complain about Americans being naive? What about you? You believe our press is controlled by Washington; you believe that it somehow is a violation for a comedy show to control their own content; You don't understand it's people or it's form of government.

Tst tsk...how nice it must be to be so young, and innocent....and oblivious.

This is not a case of free speech being violated nor is it a case of censorship.

A talkshow books individuals or groups for a specific reason (i.e. musical groups for the purpose of musical entertainment and light conversation, promotion of the album, etc).

I've already acknowleged that the networks have a right to control content. But if you think Leno invited the group because of their music, I think you're wrong. Also as I've said, if you think the government doesn't have some power to steer content, you're in a state of denial.

Talk shows like Leno's usually invite contraversional entities for one reason: RATINGS. I doubt Leno was motivated by their "music". Did you see all of the pre-show press on this show? And the after-show press? You just can't buy that sort of coverage.

AerLingus

Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:28 am

I realise the government in this country has the capability to steer content. They do it indirectly. By this I mean that the staff of the Leno show censored themselves so severely for FEAR of incurring the wrath of the FCC, a government entity.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Alpha 1

Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:35 am

Tst tsk...how nice it must be to be so young, and innocent....and oblivious.

I see you've gone to the ADG School of Debating: when you can't, or won't, answer a qestion put to you, stoop to idiocy like what you just wrote. Why not answer what I said? Because you know it'll make you look like a total fool?

And, by the way, I'm about the same age as you, if you look at my profile, son.

ryanb741

Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:44 am

Geez guys, come on, engage brains please. They weren't allowed to say ANYTHING about Iraq - i.e. 'Attack Iraq' or 'Leave Iraq alone'. This is probably because they wanted to keep it as an entertainment show, not a political debate. I watched a football geme yesterday and none of the footballers gave their opinions on Iraq either! Same as the Australia-England cricket game of yesterday! No mention of war there......

The conspiracy theorists on here are quite frankly v-e-r-y scary!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

airplay

Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:09 am

I see you've gone to the ADG School of Debating: when you can't, or won't, answer a qestion put to you, stoop to idiocy like what you just wrote. Why not answer what I said? Because you know it'll make you look like a total fool?

Review my posts. Review yours. What questions haven't I answered? None. What questions HAVE you answered. None.

Personal insults being hurled...tsk tsk. I guess I thought you were young because of your demeanor.

lubcha132

Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:59 am

wow..that's pretty sickening. don't you think someone would ask what the shirts meant?