AMERICAN757

Jobs

Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:49 pm

can somebody please tell me what the steps are to becoming a:
real estate agent
lawyer
pshychiatrist

im just wondering cause that is the three things i am trying to decide on being, yes i know im very young but i just wanna know, so please just either give me the info you know or dont say ne thing

thanks

sccutler

RE: Jobs

Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:59 pm

Speaking as a lawyer, if you want to be one, go see a psychiatrist!

But, if undeterred, its generally like this:

Undergraduate college degree (bachelors degree) in most any discipline; I happen to think a liberal arts degree serves you well in preparing you for the mental exercises of law school, but an appropriate technical degree could be good too if you had a particular area of the law you wanted to be able to specialize in. Get good grades.

Take the LSAT exam (don't forget to spend a fortune on prep courses).

Then, on to three years of law school at the law school of your choice, unless your grades and LSAT score won't support it, inwhich case, on to three years of law school at the law school that'll have you.

The spend another fortune on prep courses to cram stuff into your head so you can pass the bar exam in your chosen state.

Then pass the exam.

Then ask yourself: "I did WHAT??!!" when you wake up and realize that you're a lawyer.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:05 pm

Real Estate Agent: Graduate from high school, enroll in real-estate school. Three weeks later, you are a real-estate agent. Congratulations.

Lawyer: Graduate from high school, and go to college. Work really hard in college and get good grades. Choose a major that prepares you with good communication skills and persuasive argument skills, such as english, political science, communication, etc. Apply to law school, and accept. When you graduate, you will have a J.D. (Juris Doctorate)

Psychiatrist: Graduate from high school. Go to college, and major in pre-medicine, or at least something that allows you take the pre-med classes (i.e. biology, anatomy, etc.). Psychiatrists are medical doctors, so you will need to go to medical school. (as opposed to psychologists, who are usually Ph.Ds in psychology). Apply to medical school, and get accepted. Graduate.

I'd say law school would be your best bet. You can do better than real-estate, and the world has too many shrinks.

'Speed

IHadAPheo

Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:27 pm

The following is a Curriculum Vitae from an actual nameless Psychiatrist

Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts,
Bachelor of Arts, 1963 - 1967

State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center,
Brooklyn, N.Y., Doctor of Medicine, 1967 - 1971

Internship in Medicine, New York University Medical Center,
New York, N.Y., 1971 - 1972

Residency in Psychiatry, Mount Sinai Hospital and School of Medicine,
New York, N.Y., 1972 - 1975

If you are lucky and make it through without any delay and start when you are 18 fresh out of high school you could be a Psychiatrist at age 30/31.
Your debt load should only be about $250,000 depending on your choice of school. When you get your degree you may well take up the Governments offer to help with your loans if you go to an "underserved area (small, poor,very rural areas) If this all goes well when you are around 40-44 years olds you MIGHT get your loans to a zero balance.

Have I mentioned the malpractice costs, office costs, CE credit costs.

Yours,
IHadAPheo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

AMERICAN757

Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:38 pm

well i think i want to be a lawyer now, thanx, also what kinds of lawyers are there,,what ones make the most money, which make the least

L-188

Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:12 pm

I must be in a mid life crisis.

Turning 30 next week. (Not last year like my own mother thought!) and law school is starting to look good.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AMERICAN757

Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:20 am

any more???????????????????????????????????????????

TWFirst

Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:16 am

The first step to becoming any of these is good grammar, spelling and communications skills. Based on your thread topic, you need much improvement in these areas. I seriously doubt you will be able to become a psychiatrist if you cannot spell it.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

I LOVE EWR

Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:03 pm

Finish High School, Go to College that usually helps.

AMERICAN757

Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:48 pm

TWFirst, I didnt ask for a spell checker.

aa61hvy

Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:53 pm

Don't take everything so seriously American 757. If you were very serious about these careers try talking to your high school counselors. Or even go online to check some things out. There is life outside A.net
Go big or go home

Dash8King

Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:01 pm

I seriously doubt you will be able to become a psychiatrist if you cannot spell it.

LOL TWfirst! Wow, you certainly have a diverse idea of what you want to be. Lawyer will make you a pretty penny if your good. Just be prepared to work your ass off.

FDXmech

Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:22 pm

>>>Finish High School, Go to College that usually helps.<<<

You mean, attending high school in Finland helps?

You're only as good as your last departure.

I LOVE EWR

Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:25 pm

Very funny FDX  Big grin

BTW American the US Department of Labor has a lot of info about your job choices on their on-line databases. Look there.

jcs17

Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:30 pm

Finnish-as in a Finnish person.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

AMERICAN757

Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:37 pm

well first of all, my i am still in eight grade, and my highschool counselor is scary (im dead serious). Also its like Im not searching the right things, because i always find websites to laywers, but i thought i would ask because I know that there is atleast one lawyer on here.

AMERICAN757

Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:39 pm

by the way, even though im in eight grade, i have met the lady who is gonna be my highschool counselor, she if freaky, i thought some of you might be wondering how i have a high school counselor in eight grade

Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:55 pm

Hey, American757...

Have you ever thought about flying for a living? Law and psychiatry sound pretty boring to me.

'Speed

IHadAPheo

Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:28 pm

How about one of the following

Pretzel Knot Technician
UN Goodwill Ambassador
Massage Parlor Inspector
BMW (with interior by KIA!) DSC tester
Buffalo Sabre Owner (just a dollar and a dream)
WRC Skoda Team Tire/Tyre buffer
Hooters Air Hooter Chic Anatomy Adjuster
or
Emergency Room Tech !!! (more fun than humans were meant to have)

Yours,
IHadAPheo

Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

AMERICAN757

Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:29 pm

thought about it, how much do pilots make if they fly say.........a 757. Lawyer is a little bit more for me. but pilot is still a possibility.

Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:47 pm

Well, a 757 Captain is probably on par with a lawyer. But who cares about that? Let the lawyers make their bundles. I'd be a pilot for far less than a lawyer makes.

'Speed

IHadAPheo

Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:34 pm

The best of both worlds a traveling Corporate Lawyer/Pilot for a major airline??

Yours,
IHadAPheo

Dash8King

Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:25 pm

If you only want to be a lawyer then your doing it for the wrong reasons.

AMERICAN757

Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:34 pm

i dont just want to do it for the money

flight152

Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:35 pm

Ask Greg how to become a lawyer.

According to him, step one in the process is to order a brand new M5.  Laugh out loud

Sabena 690

Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:05 am

American757, the first step for you if you want to become a lawyer or so is grow up.

If this will ever happen, start studying for it.

BTW: maybe you can find a job as a Mercedes dealer? Wouldn't this be something for you?

Dash8King

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:12 am

Don't become an editor that is for sure Big thumbs up!

AMERICAN757

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:09 am

SABENA, im not even going to get into it.

Dash8, I would NEVER become an editor. Not getting in to details why though.

The first three people who posted on here were the best, so kudos to them for being MATURE and not worrying about anything else but answering my question.

FlyingTexan

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:57 am

Real Estate is great - long hours, though.

"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

AMERICAN757

Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:35 am

Are you an agent? Could you give me some tips on being a successful real estate agent.

captaingomes

Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:51 am

I don't know the ins and outs of any of these jobs, but you can make great money as a real estate agent, and it doesn't require lots of school and studying. Great way to make good money with comparatively low effort. Of course, you might get a year where you make 6 figures, and another year where you'll be below the poverty line.

It's good that you are looking at what you might want to do one day at your age. Most kids your age looked spaced out when you ask them what they want to do when they're older. Then they shrug their shoulders and say "uh, I dunno". In any case, talk to people you know who do certain jobs and get info that way. DON'T, and I repeat, DON'T go into ANY profession on the basis of money. Go into something you like, even if you'll be making much less money than something you wont like. Your best bet is to find a profession you'll like that also rewards nicely.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

AMERICAN757

Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:48 am

exactly why i want to be one of these three things i have mentioned, because I like them all. I am down to real estate, car dealer, and lawyer. What kind of lawyer I have no clue. I have been looking at that stuff though recently.

captaingomes

Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:47 am

Since you like cars, you should try to start a dealership. I believe it's quite capital intensive but in time, if you work at it, you might be able to buy a dealership. Being a car salesman is another alternative. It's a shady job, and the reputation is terrible, but if you work at an upscale dealership, you'll get excellent pay, company car, you'll get to drive lots of different cars, and I'm sure it can be fun too. Another thing is the requirements aren't high, so it's a relatively easy job to get. Work your way up to sales manager, and possibly start a dealership after all that. Just some thoughts.

I have a friend who is a service manager at a M-B dealership in the Toronto area, and he gets very good pay, and gets a new car every 2 weeks (usually an E500, but I've seen him often in S-Classes and sometimes in AMG cars). Of course, he worked at Hyundai before that, and then transferred to M-B as a mechanic and worked his way up. These things take time of course.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

AMERICAN757

Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:58 am

well i know i could sell an MB, so I am putting that first right now. I was at the chicago auto show in the back of an S CLASS, and this ladies husband was sayin how the spedometer showed 200 or sumthin on it and I butted in and said that its limited to 155 by a computer, and then started telling them features and they seemed impressed. I could land that job without even applying. Ok maybe not but you get what im sayin

captaingomes

Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:15 am

I know what you're saying, you know the product well. But M-B will train you for that, and they wouldn't necessarily be looking for how much you know about their products, but rather what your past experience would be. You'd very likely be selling average cars for years before M-B or any other upscale manufacturer even considered you. Ask salesmen though to be sure, there could be differences in various areas. But to put things into perspective, you rarely see a salesperson at M-B who's in their 20's, as opposed to those selling GM, Honda, Mazda, etc etc

BOEING747-700

Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:31 am

Real estate agent, hell you should talk to my dad, he owns a Royal LePage here in Cambridge, you will need to take a course from a collage and get your brokers license, then its pretty simple to get a job. Just call up one of the local Real estate firms in your city and they will for sure allow you to come aboard. You will in a sense be your own boss in Real estate. When you work for a company like Royal LePage/Century 21, you just pay a membership fee to use that name on your signs. Oh by the way, my old man had a great year in Real Estate, so the market is perfect to join in.

AMERICAN757

Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:23 am

thats cool, for a second i was like , WHAT IS A ROYAL LEPAGE?????????? I thought it was some fancy car I have never heard of. Yes around here there are houses for sale everywhere, and houses being built everywhere. I have two new houses on my street with three being built and another house forsale, two on the next street for sale, and three on the street after that. Koeing & Strey seems to be getting a lot of business lately, as all the houses by me that are for sale are being sold through them. I told my dad I might be a real estate agent, but he said, that is a iffy job. Also he says that I just want to take the easy way out, but thats not it.

fspilot747

Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:44 am

American757: You don't seem to know a single thing about any of these fields, so I suggest that you at least start high school, and take some interesting courses relating to these fields (Physiology, Biology, Psychology, Government, etc...), then start thinking about what you want to do.

Being an Attorney: Finish (not Finnish) high school (obviously), take as many AP, Honors courses as you can, rape the SAT/ACT's, apply to good schools, get in, rock your LSAT, rock college, and go to a GOOD law school (this DOES make a difference). If you do the above, you can land a very well paying job. My cousin graduated from Michigan Law, and is making upwards of 100k a year his first year.

Medicine is great, but don't go into it for the money. There are much easier ways of making money. Do Medicine only if you really love it, because if you don't, you'll find yourself regretting going to med-school.

Psychatrist (see "Medicine")

Real Estate Agent: Can't help you there.

Good luck with high school,
FSP

AMERICAN757

Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:54 am

exactly, im on here to find out about these occupations