'Freedom Fries' Stupidity Spreads To House Of Reps

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:15 am

Guys,

Read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/11/sprj.irq.fries/index.html

What a couple of tossers. This will only inflame people opinions on the USA around the rest of the world.

Or they will laugh like I did.

mb

Marcus

RE: 'Freedom Fries' Stupidity Spreads To House Of Reps

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:18 am

This is funny.....and stupid at the same time.  Smile
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

Schoenorama

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:24 am

I think the funniest thing is they even had a special press conference!!

Can I suggest the US citizens, as a protest to Saddam Husseins' regime, to refrain from buying petrol for their cars as at least 1/6th of their petrol comes from Iraq?
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

jsmith

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:26 am

MB, this is amusing but don't forget that Australia was going down same path in 1995 when the French re-commenced the testing of nuclear devices in the South Pacific.

I recall all the stupid calls for boycotting France and French products in Australia.

kaitakfan

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:26 am

Some of us Americans just have to be assholes and get a rise out of people that dont do things our way. Why couldnt they have been civil and started using the name Chips as they call them in Australia, UK, etc?!? As you can tell, I am really impressed with this movement at Capital hill!!

CX747

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:30 am

Overall, its a silly move. That being said, it does show the frustration level between the United States and France.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

racko

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:35 am

It's getting really childish.

jaysit

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:48 am

They forgot to change the name of "Hamburg"-ers to something like "Patriotic Steroided/Diseased Meat patty."

Rome burns, as our Modern day Neroes throw a fit over fried greasy starches.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:43 am

Guys,

I forwarded this little news story to everyone in the office, besides people thinking it the stupidist thing they have seen, it's also making the (rather conservative) people in our office wish our PM would distance himself immediately from el Presedente' Bush and Co.

Great PR work.

mb

ctbarnes

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:57 am

It's funny--in a rather pathetic sort of way...

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:12 am

Our elected representatives at work...  Nuts

They are truly an embarrassment to our country.

Ilyushin96M

Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:01 am

Here's the full story I just read:

Au revoir to French food names

Politics of culinary nomenclature captivate U.S. House

ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON, March 11 — Show the flag and pass the ketchup was the order of the day in House cafeterias Tuesday. Lawmakers struck a lunchtime blow against the French and put “freedom fries” on the menu. And for breakfast they’ll now have “freedom toast.”

The name changes follow similar actions by restaurants around the country protesting French opposition to the administration’s Iraq war plans.

“Update. Now Serving in All House Office Buildings, ‘Freedom Fries,”’ read a sign that Republican Reps. Bob Ney of Ohio and Walter Jones of North Carolina placed at the register in the Longworth Office Building food court. Jones said he was inspired by Cubbie’s restaurant in Beaufort, N.C., in his district, one of the first to put “freedom fries” on the menu instead of french fries.

‘SMALL BUT SYMBOLIC EFFORT’

“This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France,” said Ney, chairman of the House Administration Committee. Ney, whose panel oversees House operations, ordered the menu changes.

The French Embassy in Washington had no immediate comment, except to say that french fries actually come from Belgium. Ney said he was of French descent and “once the French government comes around we can get back to talking about french fries.”

On a more serious note, Republican Jim Saxton of New Jersey has proposed a ban on Pentagon participation in this year’s Paris Air Show and restrictions on French participation in any postwar construction projects in Iraq.

But House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said at a news conference that applying legislative sanctions to France was not necessary. “I don’t think we have to retaliate against France. They’ve isolated themselves pretty well,” he said.

Ya know, I think all these idiots should be bombarded with letters demanding their resignations. They obviously aren't mentally competent enough to serve in our government...well, present one aside. It doesn't take much to achieve THAT level of...uhhhh...intelligence.

heavymetal

Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:28 pm

Hey! Cubans are still getting into the Keys undetected, the economy is in the worst shape it's been in in two decades or more and the jobless rate is going up, but isn't it nice to know these two assholes can spend the day grandstanding in front of tv cameras over a f**king breakfast menu?

We get the government we deserve.

I LOVE EWR

Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:26 pm

I think that this is great. I am glad to see this Anti-French backlash as they continue to oppose the war with Iraq. If they continue to screw us like they are doing expect this and more to come from those Americans Big grin.

I am thinking about buying a nice case of French wine and dump it in the Gutter outside the French Consulate in NY with a big sign that says F**k the FRENCH (like others have done) I mean come on FRANCE!!!! Your views and stances are going against the United States, the Country that saved your A$$ two times in 30 years or so to make sure you didn't start speaking German and lose your 'culturally' enriched, 'gods' gift to the world Language. Furthermore I would like to see more peaceful protests against the FRENCH GOVERNMENT for their actions and stances.

USAFHummer

Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:34 pm

This is ridiculous..."Freedom Fries"??? When I heard this on a news radio program a few hours ago I nearly gagged and fell on the floor laughing...how pathetic...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

I LOVE EWR

Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:37 pm

Actually renaming 'items' in times of conflict is nothing new. Take for instance sauerkraut, during World War I and/or II it was called something like Liberty Relish.

Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:39 pm

I LOVE EWR wrote:

"I think that this is great. I am glad to see this Anti-French backlash as they continue to oppose the war with Iraq. If they continue to screw us like they are doing expect this and more to come from those Americans."

This is so silly; it will simply result in a similar anti-American backlash in France, creating a chain reaction. The French don't really care what some groups of hysterical reactionaries are doing; those misguided actions will just hurt our reputation overseas.

"I am thinking about buying a nice case of French wine and dump it in the Gutter outside the French Consulate in NY with a big sign that says F**k the FRENCH (like others have done)"

So you won't be able to complain when the French will do the exact same thing to us...

Ilyushin96M

Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:50 pm

Congrats, I LOVE EWR. You're definitely contributing to the greatness of this country, and forwarding our relations with the rest of the world. Way to go.  Yeah sure

FYI, if you want to donate a case of French wine to a good cause, send it to me.  Big grin I'm certainly not dumb enough to waste perfectly good wine over whether or not France throws the towel in on Moron's war.

Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:06 pm

I have always said that reasonable people can disagree with policies or leaders without attacking entire countries. I've said that when there was some anti-American rhetoric on a.net and I'm saying it again as France is under fire.

avt007

Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:18 pm

Perhaps the Americans should box up the Statue of Liberty, and return it, if they are so suddenly anti-French Big grin It reminds me of a guy I work with; he was ranting about the French, and how he would never buy a French car ( he lives in Britain). When I asked him if he was going to sell his Porsche, since the Germans are also anti-war, he didn`t have an answer...........

Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:22 pm

Oh, and another thing, I LOVE EWR, before you buy "a nice case of French wine and dump it in the Gutter outside the French Consulate in NY with a big sign that says F**k the FRENCH," check out this photo:

(Photo from clkoberg.com/9-11-01/)

What do you see? Those are French people mourning 9/11 at the US Embassy in Paris. Their nation later supported our War Against Terror in Afghanistan. But now, just because they don't agree with Dubya's misguided adventure (just like most other Europeans and many Americans), you will carry signs saying "F**k the FRENCH"? We all know that the French have their faults, but your actions are just sad. Truly sad.

VonRichtofen

Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:55 pm

Don't worry guys, it's obvious I LOVE EWR is an example of the loopholes in the education system.

cfalk

Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:12 pm

PHX-LJU,

The French are just as bad, if not worse. So are the Swiss.

My wife drives an American car, and she is now afraid to drive it in town or just over the border in France. Preople get agressive, make gestures, yell at her, cut her off on the road, and once tried to push her off the road. All this has happened in the past month - never before in the 5 years we've had the car have we had any trouble (except once when I drove it near an anti-globalization rally - they wanted to burn it - but that's a story for another time).

All this because we have an American car. Are Americans attacking anyone in a Renault, Citroen or BMW? I doubt it.

Sorry, but Europeans are much, much more emotional and destructive than American protestors. I've seen them on both sides of the Atlantic, and Europeans love to go wild.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:29 pm

I'd love to bust up a Fiat....

Just kidding. About the whole "fries" thing--this probably wasn't the brightest move. But then again, why should the French get upset about the renaming of "French Fries." They aren't even French anyway. They should be happy, right?

Anyway, I don't eat them no matter what they are called because they give me gastro-intestinal distress.

'Speed

Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:48 pm

Cfalk wrote:

"The French are just as bad, if not worse. So are the Swiss."

And because some French are as bad as or worse than some Americans that makes it OK? As I've said, we must condemn this kind of behavior, no matter where it's coming from, otherwise we'll find ourselves in a vicious cycle of stupidity.

I've seen some disturbing anti-Americanism in Europe and similarly disturbing anti-European outbursts in the States; they are surprisingly alike in nature and motivation, and always perpetrated by people who cannot merely criticize specific policies or national leaderships, but instead choose to attack entire countries.

[Edited 2003-03-12 08:49:31]

L-188

Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:51 pm

Silly Yanks.....

The things are called Chips.

They are normally served with fish.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

cfalk

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:00 pm

And because some French are as bad as or worse than some Americans that makes it OK?

Of course not. But my point is that this behaviour appears more commonly here, it seems. I mean, come on, agressing someone because they drive a 5-year old American car?

OK, all Americans here who drive a French or German car in the states. Have you been agressed recently more often than, say, a year ago?

Charles

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:19 pm

Cfalk wrote:

"But my point is that this behaviour appears more commonly here, it seems. I mean, come on, agressing someone because they drive a 5-year old American car?"

That is just sick; no one would dispute that. Anti-American incidents in Europe, while isolated, are extremely disturbing to me. Having said that, at least we don't see prominent elected representatives in Europe calling for boycotts of US products and urging American food to be renamed because of the war.

BTW, in about a month, I will be driving an American car with US plates in Europe. I have never had any problems in the past, but I will let you know if something happens.

[Edited 2003-03-12 09:21:31]

Superfly

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:23 pm

I bet if it were Democrats doing this, the Rupublicans would be screeming blooding murder about this!

See what kind of crap we get when the wrong party controls our government.

I have nothing against the French and they have done nothing to piss me off.

I wonder what kind of kiss these congressmen give there mistresses.  Confused  Big grin

Cfalk:
You know I am biased in favor of American cars. If I lived in Europe, I'd drive a Lada or some brand I couldn't get in America.
I can recall during the early 1980s in the upper-Midwest, Japanese cars getting destroyed because they were taking away jobs.

[Edited 2003-03-12 09:30:40]
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:28 pm

No, the republicans wouldn't be screaming at them.

We would be laughing at them....not with...at.

ovelix

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:32 pm

Along with the fries, here is another example from the same article.

Rep. Jim Saxton, R-New Jersey, has introduced legislation in the House that ...discourages American tourists, businesses and the government from participating in the 2003 Paris Air show.

How can they prevent them without screwing their rights? Just wondering.

Anyway, that means...more space for the rest of us at the show  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Kostas

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:36 pm

Dear god .. i'll get a little violin for your guys. So France doesn't agree with you .. boo hoo .. you're showing your true colours with your reaction.

It's pathetic to watch.

"Freedom Fries" is the most ludicrously childish thing i've ever heard ... why not call them chips like everyone else does?

Charles: how do you know it doesn't happen elsewhere?

ADG

L-188

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:39 pm

Actually it is the rest of the world that calls them "Pomme frits"

But I guess that is too French of a term to.

Andreas

Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:55 pm

btw: Pommes frites, as they are called in Germany, are Belgian, that country gave us 2 great gastronomic achievements: pommes frites, which would then be a Wallon name, not a French one (my, aren't we picky this morning?), and wafers (those to eat, not the silicon plates chips are made of...hmmm....same vocab obviously).
In earlier times, when Ayrton Senna was still alive I often went to Spa to watch the Belgian Grand Prix, and lived on Pommes frites and wafers alone...ahem...I changed my eating habits since then.
But as Belgium is with France and Germany (and soon the rest of the world) on this one I guess Pommes Frites is not an alternative.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

ovelix

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:01 pm

BTW

In Greece we called them "Tiganites Patates" (Fried Potatoes) or just "Chips".

But this reminds me that war often changes the way we see and call things.

In the past we used to call "Turkish" the coffee that we boil in the coffee-pot (not filtered) and serve it in the small cup. After the Greek-Turkish war (it ended in 1922) people started calling it "Greek" coffee. It's not unusual until today to hear the elderly ordering "turkish" coffee in the coffee house.

Kostas

Andreas

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:08 pm

Yes we call that Mokka...most delicious!!! I do this at home using original equipment...and I love it!!

btw. In Spain they are called patatas fritos (or so *gg*) which means...would you believe it...fried potatoes Big grin Big grin Big grin

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:11 pm

Ovelix,

In Slovenia, it's still Turkish coffee! French fries are "pommes frites", often spelled phonetically: "pomfri"

cfalk

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:15 pm

You know I am biased in favor of American cars. If I lived in Europe, I'd drive a Lada

LOL! Why am I not surprised? Seriously though, I bought a Chevy Tahoe when there were only six in the entire country, so we don't exactly see ourselves everywhere.

Charles: how do you know it doesn't happen elsewhere?

I've traveled a lot, and have been caught up in protests and demonstrations in the U.S., Canada, France, England, Switzerland, Russia, among others. I would say that Europeans tend to go nuts a bit more than Americans. Look at the European violence at football games! I don't see massive riots every week in the US because of a Baseball or Football game. Now if a people can get that worked up over a god&mned sport, imagine how they can become over something serious.

Charles

Krushny

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:16 pm

In Spain we call them patatas fritas or papas. I suppose our contribution is frying them in olive oil, not sure how the Belgians fried them originally.
We also have the Tortilla Francesa (French Omelette?) , but I have heard of no plans to rename that.

Andreas

Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:23 pm

ok, fritas, I knew there was something wrong...Krushny, I love that Spanish version and I'll have a few when I go to Mallorca in 2 weeks Big grin, and a few of those delicious olives and a few tapas as well!!

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:15 pm

Travelling would hardly give you an indication on what the locals think of each other and what they do. Indeed they bag out American cars here to .. not because they dislike America, but because the cars that get over here are the ugly "gas guzzlers" that we Australians despise. We also call japanese cars "ricers" and pan european cars as well .. human nature and hardly indicative of a hatred of the country of origin.

After all .. "buy Australian, help the economy"

That and we make some of the best (and most affordable) cars in the world.

I don't see massive riots every week in the US because of a Baseball or Football game.

You obviously don't watch much sport. Didn't you see the superbowl and the riots after that?

ADG

cfalk

Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:26 pm

Occasional violence once or twice per year across the country is not the same as the regular, almost daily football violence in Europe. French TV showed some video of cops doing random searches at matches (not even championship matches) and came away with an astounding pile of knives, iron bars, and even guns, and the cops say that they collect about the same amount evry other day, only checking some 10% of the crowd.

Charles

Andreas

Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:07 pm

Back to the Belgian fries:
Why don't they call it Iraqi or even more fitting Saddam Fries? I mean, that's what they intend to do with Saddam anyway.

Charles, your US lobbying starts getting very ridiculous this morning! I mean, reading your posts, you must be the most unhappy person in Europe just because you have to live here!

MD-11 forever

Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:15 pm

Well Charles, in the US they just happen to find those things at the metal detector checks at schools........ Ever heard about the countless shootings in the US? And you call them a peace loving crowd? This gives me a very good laugh dude!

Seriously, back to topic, I suppose everyone reading those news will be astounded by the important issues the US parliaments handle, considering that there are no "more important" ones on our planet. I hope the voters will remember this childish behaviour when it comes to re-elect those "representatives"!

Cheers, Thomas

cfalk

Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:50 pm

Hmmm. You got me there Thomas. But such things are starting up here too. I think you also must differentiate between individual violence and mob violence. They are somewhat different.

Andreas, Maybe so but I feel that a great majority of the European governments are eaither cowards, hypocrites, or both.

Charles

Andreas

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:08 pm

Yes well, some people believe:

To each people the government they deserve Big grin

I wonder what that should tell us about our American friends, and you as a citizen of a European country, of course!

But relax I don't believe in that saying...

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:12 pm

Charles,

Same searches are done here as well as in the US. It's not sport per se though, rather it's focussed almost specifically on SOCCER. Ban the sport! It's crap anyway.

European governments cowards, hypocrites or both? Which government isn't?

ADG

manni

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:23 pm

Hmmm frieten  Smile/happy/getting dizzy, we eat them preferably with mayonaise, Oops another french sounding word, what will that be called in the future?

BTW, will skyteam get rid of Air France...

How about french kissing, may I suggest republican (ass) kissing

What about croissants?
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

KLAX

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:26 pm

This article just made me loose 5 I.Q. points. Who the HECK voted for these Morons???

-Clovis

Krushny

Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:39 pm

Manni, no problem with Mayonaise. The name comes from mahonesa, from Mahón - Menorca - Spain, which thanks to our PG Aznar is in the "axis of virtue" on the Iraq question.  Big grin