racko

About Anti-americanism...

Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:20 pm

Just for those who also complain about "Anti-Americanism" in some countries and how people would think the US deserved 9/11.

The pictures come from this website which was mentioned by PHX-LJU in an earlier thread.

I'm focusing on pictures from the countries which have been accused of anti-americanism, for more pictures take a look at the website.

200.000 people on a "solidarity march" in Berlin, Germany

Paris, France

Palestinians in East Jerusalem

US Embassy in Berlin, Germany

US Embassy in Moscow, Russia

Volkswagen Autostadt in Wolfsburg, Germany

Ottawa, Canada

South Korea

US Consulate in Hamburg, Germany

Beijing, China

Flower carpet in Frankfurt, Germany (I saw it myself)

"Ich bin ein Amerikaner" (I'm an American), designed after Kennedy's famous speech "Ich bin ein Berliner" which gave hope to the Berliner shortly after the GDR had built the Berlin wall.

Think about it for some seconds please. We don't hate you. We mourned for all the victims of the terrorist attacks on September, 11th. We were all deeply shocked by the horrors which came over New York on this sad day. We're not opposed to the Iraq policy because it is from the US, but because we think it is wrong.

TriStar500

RE: About Anti-americanism...

Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:27 pm

...makes you wonder, how some politicians and journalists can manage to turn so much sympathy into (seemingly) total alienation, doesn't it?
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:24 am

"We don't hate you."

You know, I actually believe you. My only request is that some of you be a little more fair in your criticism, that's all. Honestly, it is possible to differ GWB, Rumsfield, et. al., without calling them morons or attaching other unsavory epithets. (PHX-LGU does a really good job of this.) You have every right to disagree, but I find it disrespectful and somewhat offensive to unnecessarily trash a sitting president by name-calling. And I'd feel the same way if about Clinton, even though I don't agree with him on the political arena. Please respect the due process of the United States of America. These are our elected officials, and they are doing what they percieve as the correct course of action.

'Speed

Scorpio

Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:47 am

NormalSpeed

You know, I actually believe you. My only request is that some of you be a little more fair in your criticism, that's all. Honestly, it is possible to differ GWB, Rumsfield, et. al., without calling them morons or attaching other unsavory epithets. (PHX-LGU does a really good job of this.) You have every right to disagree, but I find it disrespectful and somewhat offensive to unnecessarily trash a sitting president by name-calling. And I'd feel the same way if about Clinton, even though I don't agree with him on the political arena. Please respect the due process of the United States of America. These are our elected officials, and they are doing what they percieve as the correct course of action.

Then why does it seem to be so difficult for quite a few of the Americans on here to have that same attitude you propagate towards Europe?

goingboeing

Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:20 am

You know, I actually believe you. My only request is that some of you be a little more fair in your criticism, that's all. Honestly, it is possible to differ GWB, Rumsfield, et. al., without calling them morons or attaching other unsavory epithets. (PHX-LGU does a really good job of this.)

And a host of Americans are having a field day with "French jokes". Fair is fair. I suppose I'd rather have them call an individual a moron than blast an entire country, as many of the "if you ain't fer us, you're agin us" folks seem to do so wel.

You have every right to disagree, but I find it disrespectful and somewhat offensive to unnecessarily trash a sitting president by name-calling.

French rifle for sale, never used, dropped once. Seems to me to be a tad disrespectful, don't you think?

And I'd feel the same way if about Clinton, even though I don't agree with him on the political arena. Please respect the due process of the United States of America. These are our elected officials, and they are doing what they percieve as the correct course of action.

And I honestly believe that more of our elected representatives constituants believe that they are supporting the wrong course of action.

Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:28 am

"Then why does it seem to be so difficult for quite a few of the Americans on here to have that same attitude you propagate towards Europe?"

You know, Scorpio, I honestly don't know. Perhaps it is because of what I mentioned--the name-calling. (And as GoingBoeing mentioned, Americans are not entirely innocent either.) I think there needs to be a lot of 'clearing or the air,' and I think this thread is a good start.

Also, the American and European media may have something to do with it. We are constantly hearing about Europe's alleged hatred towards us, and you are probably hearing all about American arrogance. It's just been blown way out of proportion, that's all.

'Speed

racko

Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:34 am

NormalSpeed, I agree that we should talk more polite about people or politicans with a different opinion. The issue "War or Peace" creates very strong emotions, especially here in europe, this might be a reason why people (including me) tend to talk about Bush, Rumsfeld and co. with too insulting words. But especially Rumsfeld has to take his fair share of the blame, he has done an outstanding job of pissing off people over here when talking about countries as "problems" or trying to divide into old (=backward) and new (=forward) europe. We should keep the discussions to the issue and not go to a personal or insulting level. We should stay over the belt-line, as we say here  Smile.

Staffan

Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:38 am

Great thread Racko!

Staffan

747-451

Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:52 am

There is no doubt that many people from many countries sympatise with 9/11 etc. There is no doubt that there is friendship and comradary between the US and others. And like any relationship, there will be disagreement. It is one thing to say "Bush is an idiot" or "Chiraq is a crook". Criticism is more easily addressed when etiquette is used. Unfortuante statements by the administrations of Chretien, Chiraq, Shroeder are all unfortunate as is the counterpoint from Bush, rumsfeld etc.

dragogoalie

Re:

Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:17 pm

Thanks for your support Racko and all others. It is very unfortunate that so many people view the "official" opinion of another country as what the political relations between the two countries are. Just because someone dissagrees with what we believe in, doesn't make them Anti-American. Granted there are quite a few of those out there who are that way just because it is a popular perspective on things. That doesn't mean everyone believes that. Thanks again Racko.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

clipperhawaii

Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:28 pm

I'm reminded of a chinese proverb.

Yesterday's friend is today's enemy is tommorws friend.

Let's hope the word order is correct.

Thanks for reminding all of us that "good" friendships are forever no matter how some may try to tear us apart.

"You Can't Beat The Experience"

Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:51 pm

Thank you, Racko! These moving pictures really put things into perspective.

TWAL1011

Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:46 pm

Thank you, Racko .

DC10GUY

Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:41 pm

God bless them people and thanks, too bad our jackass president is trying so hard to ruin these good relationships that have been built over many many years. All in the name of greed. Shame on him.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

Marco

Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:53 pm

Great thread Racko. Thanks.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

b757300

Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:47 am

Hey Manni, what the hell is your problem? Are you really that petty of a person that you must resort to such lame attacks at flaming?
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

B747forlife

Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:45 am

Dc10guy - Right, Bush is doing this for the express purpose of ruining long friendships. Give me a break, he is doing this because he thinks it is the right thing to do at this juncture, the fact that some people think he's right, while others think he's wrong is irrelevant. As president, his obligation is to the people and their safety, if he and the administration thinks that this will overall make America safer, then he has every right to do this.

-Nick

david b.

Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:19 am

It will not make the US safer anytime soon. There is no doubt that bush does not know what the hell he is doing.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

DC10GUY

Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:32 am

Nick , GW is doing this for the "express purpose" of jacking up the price of oil...I.E. Greed. That's why these good relationships are being ruined. Shame on him.

Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:41 am

"GW is doing this for the "express purpose" of jacking up the price of oil..."

Even I do not agree with aspects of Bush's handling of the Iraq situation. Face it, the guy is not perfect. But for you to say that GWB is reacting the way he is purely out of greed is simply unfair. He may not have made every correct decision, but he is doing what he thinks is best for the country.

'Speed

DC10GUY

Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:57 am

Normalspeed, He and Cheney have made all their decisions perfectly , Their planning is paying off right now... I say they'll keep up the war pressure until gas is $3.50 per gallon.

Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:02 am

"He and Cheney have made all their decisions perfectly , Their planning is paying off right now... I say they'll keep up the war pressure until gas is $3.50 per gallon."

See, I've never really been one to buy this "conspiracy theory" stuff. I guess you can believe it if you want, but trust me, you are just wasting a lot of mental energy (and so many of us have so little to spare!)

'Speed