johnboy

AOL Pop-Up Blocker...OK, What's The Downside?

Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:04 pm

AOL has come out with a new Pop-Up Blocker in response to "consumer demand" (more like consumer revolt with their pocketbooks), and it seems to be working beautifully for me (especially on this very website).

There's gotta be something more sinister going on though. Spyware embedded in it? Direct line to Asscroft's office? What's the downside?

artsyman

RE: AOL Pop-Up Blocker...OK, What's The Downside?

Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:19 pm

Well, having to be on aol at all would be the first guess ...

milemaster

Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:39 pm

Well, having to be on aol at all would be the first guess ...

haha.. I was thinking the same thing when I read the thread topic.

ndege

Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:17 pm

I don't know specifically about AOL's popup blocker, but a lot of the commercially available products of this nature keep links that launch in a new window from functioning, whilst proudly proclaiming they have blocked an evil popup.

BL

Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:46 pm

Another downside my friend learned of is that some website publishers now actually have software that'll block any user (or domain) that uses it from going into the website.

srbmod

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:06 am

Having used Earthlink's pop-up blocker, I can say that most pop-blockers do too much; sometimes I've had to click on a link several times before the pop-up blocker let me go where I wanted to go. I wonder if the cure is worse than the disease.

ouboy79

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:25 am

AOL customers, that I had to deal with during my 2 year stay there (i'm finally out of my NO YOU CAN'T SNEEZE OR WE'LL SUE clauses), biggest popup gripes where the ads you get once you sign onto AOL through the client software. A very quick 2 minute fix - if that - for someone to do. Eventually most people figure out...Oh geee...it is in my preferences. Take out a couple check marks and no more popups.  Smile For those that don't know, the quickest way to get there is Keyword: Marketing Preferences.

Back to the fact that it is sad the person still has AOL. It depends. Their broadband prices are hard to beat. Couple that with the ability to "roam" with your account on dial up anywhere...is a nicely added feature. Look for a few enchancements to their BYOA package...particularly going back to the original price and mulitple sessions per account will FINALLY be allowed.