L-188
Topic Author

Nice Gesture When War Ends.

Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:51 pm

US Marines are planning to release the pidgeons that they will be using as chemical weapons detectors in Bagdad when the war ends. The pigeons are being used in a simular fashion to the Canaries that coal miners used to take down with them into the shafts.

Kind of like the peace doves.

I personally think it is a nice touch. We can only hope that a large number of them will be released.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/14/sprj.irq.kuwait.pigeons.ap/index.html
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

TWAL1011

RE: Nice Gesture When War Ends.

Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:08 pm

Others said chickens were simply not meant to live in the desert.

That gave me a chuckle...  Smile

The whole thing kinda reminds me of the parakeets in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Scotty

Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:42 pm

Ah. Thats Nice. Lets hope the pigeons appreciate the symbolism and are really delighted and honoured to live amongst the smoking, polluted, radioligically and chemically uninhabitable debris of a city that once held 5 million people and one despot who, along with Western imperialist leaders will be responsible for making it so.

This aint Hollywood.

Scotty

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:39 pm

Scotty, your delusions of "imperialism" make you sound more and more like another certain member on here.  Smile

This isn't about imperialism. It's about how best to remove a cancer on the globe. Let's hope ALL those pidgeons get released. If they don't, then some nations in the world will have egg all over their face for their insistence that Saddam has been cooperating in disarmament.

delta-flyer

Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:09 pm

......Western imperialist leaders will be responsible for making it so

Are you suggesting the US will nuke Iraq?

The pidgeons are a nice touch ..... glad to see the Marines have planned out the whole spectacle.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

777236ER

Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:20 pm

Awww, how cute. I wonder if the dead US soldiers, the dead British and Spanish soldiers and the dead Iraqis will appreciate it. I wonder if the surviving citizens will appreciate the US leaving the country in turmoil a la Afghanistan too.

Since when did the world need MORE pidgeons anyway?
Your bone's got a little machine

heavymetal

Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:20 pm

The President and SecDef have mentioned it. Several times.

aloges

Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:35 am

Will be most interesting to see how they fly through all the smoke... or where they get food, or water, or a rest. I doubt their lives in freedom will last very long. After all, it's very easy to talk about peace when everybody else is dead.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Staffan

Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:57 am

Wonder if Iraq's pidgeons will get the same coverage as the rabbits in Australia?  Big grin

Hope they survive though.

Staffan

DTW/ORD Fan!

Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:37 am

Ya know what, what gives the United States the right to impose a "democracy" in the middle east when for thousands of years they have gone about governing themselves the way they see best, which is not a democracy. Seriosiously, what gives Bush the right? Yes Saddam needs to be burned, preferably while he is still alive, but to impose our governing system on Iraq is wrong, and immoral.

airplay

Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:51 am

There seems to be more concern about the pidgeons than the Iraqi people....

Hamfist

Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:40 am

Heavymetal
The President and SecDef have mentioned it. Several times.

Bullshit...they've only said(and continue to say) they haven't taken any options off the table. Interpret that however you want, but that's not saying they WILL do it!

On another note...these threads just wouldn't the same without the gratuitous 777236er "We love the Saddam regime" sort of sentiment  Insane

777236ER

Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:41 am

these threads just wouldn't the same without the gratuitous 777236er "We love the Saddam regime" sort of sentiment

Aww, you really love me  Smile

Where did I say I loved the Saddam regime?
Your bone's got a little machine

jaysit

Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:53 am

Well, thats great ! Love that Hallmark sentiment by our marines.
Not only are they hunky and hot - they're also filled with maudlin sentimental goop.
Those pigeons will serve to provide food for a bombed out, battered civilian population before the UN comes in to do the actual peace keeping and restoration of medical services, food supply, etc.
Hope these pigeons are plump and juicy, and that they cook easily on fires caused in homes by bombs. And lets hope that Saddam doesn't get to eat a single one of those yummy birds !
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Scotty

Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:38 am

Maybe, maybe not. But maybe someone ELSE, who might just be within Scud missile range, definitely will.

Scotty

CX747

Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:43 am

All this talk of destroying Iraq. The last time I checked the U.S. military didn't "destroy" Kuwait when it pushed out the Iraqi Army. The U.S. military is taking every precaution to not hit civilian targets and try to leave as much of the infrastructure in place as possible. I personally can not wait for this war to be over and all of these protesters and people worried about the Iraqi people proven wrong. If you are worried about the Iraqi people, the lets remove their LEADER.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

ovelix

Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:46 pm

Pigeons dying in the desert...What a nice touch...

I can already see a TV reporter showing a dead pigeon on the sand. Of course, if the story makes it through the Pentagon censorship channels.

Kostas

jwenting

Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:46 pm

It would make it throught the US "censorship channels" far easier than the stories about disappearing Iraqis make it through Iraqi censorship...

Of course it won't really matter in the long run, but it's indeed a nice gesture.

But then the pro-Iraqi crowd wouldn't understand (but they won't have to, as they're certain their beloved Iraqi army will crush the invading imperialist forces with the sticks that are all they have left now that the peaceloving Iraqi government has complied fully with UN demands...).
I wish I were flying

CPH-R

Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:01 pm

You have to admit that it's a nice touch from the US Army to let all journalists know, that any TV signals from within Iraq during the war, will lead to a swift bombing of its position.

MD-90

Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:08 pm

If these are New York City pigeons, well those birds are tough! I have no doubt they'd manage to survive in Baghdad.

But those poor Iraqis...if chickens don't live well in the desert, does that mean there's no chicken fingers in Baghdad?

Greg

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:01 am

Martha Stewart said that if a war is cancelled, flowers are the appropriate gift.
We should send a nice big 'Pick Me Up' bouquet.

Krushny

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:14 am

I do not see how this is news. Animals have been used before in purposes like this. The URSS nuclear subs had rats near the reactors, a kind of crude radioactivity detectors. If you saw them dying, better look fast for help!!

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:57 am

Interpret that however you want, but that's not saying they WILL do it!

That was the deal in 91. You use chemicals, we go nuclear.

I don't think you fully understand how ugly this quick, neat effort to dispose of Saddam can get. You're not alone. He's going to use chemical weapons. And the way I hear it, hundreds of American troops are either going to be felled by those weapons or the 110 degree heat of their chemical protection suits.