go canada!

The Mystery Virus-a Wmd Attack?

Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:26 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2856163.stm

"Health authorities around the world are struggling to contain a mystery virus amid fears that it could be as lethal as the 1918 flu pandemic.

The virus is being spread throughout the world by air travellers, with cases reported in a dozen countries.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) issued a rare emergency warning over the weekend, declaring the virus "a worldwide health threat", and saying that cases had been reported on three continents."

does anyonew believe that this virus has the hallmakrs of something s bit darker, its very strange that a mystery virus crops up just as there is about to be war in iraq and with north korea carying on producing nuclear weapons.

im sure its nothing, but it wouldnt surprise me if this virus had sinister orgins.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

jwenting

RE: The Mystery Virus-a Wmd Attack?

Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:34 pm

While everything is possible, it's unlikely that any nationstate (let alone a private group) will have produced a completely new disease in secret and tested and deployed it without anyone finding out about it.

The 'sinister origins' are more likely to be someone getting stung by an insect in a jungle somewhere.
There's constantly new strains of diseases coming out of the jungle. Most are harmless or don't infect at all, but occasionally there's one that is effective.
Ebola and AIDS started that way, Ebola never got further because it was so effective (and limited in survivability to a narrow climate band as well).
I wish I were flying

sebolino

Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:54 pm

This new disease seems very dangerous, and could kill a large part of the world population if we don't find quickly a way to contain it (I'm serious).
This scenario has been described many times, even by scientists not only by film-makers (12 monkeys, ...).
If it was human-made, well, it was a big mistake.

By the way, I heard that it's still not known if it's a virus or a bactery.

ryanb741

Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:18 pm

Nah - this is nothing of the sort. It has killed only 10 people (of 500 reported cases) and is only fatal to the sick and infirm. It's just a bad flu, that's all.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

docpepz

Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:00 am

And it originated in Vietnam and spread to Hong Kong. The people who brought it all over the world were visitors to Hong Kong, who brought it to Singapore, Canada and possibly Taiwan. The Singapore doctor who treated one of the patients who contracted the disease in Hong Kong (and came back to SIN) went to New York for a conference but he is not known to have spread it to anyone there.

And thanks to Singapore Airlines - a member of star alliance - who flies their New York - SIN route through Frankfurt, the Singaporean doctor has contributed to the first known case in Europe.

I don't think its serious at all. People who've contracted this disease are mostly medical staff and their families who treated patients with the similar disease.

AOMlover

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:20 am

I have to say that I'm very worried, because I'm going to Shanghai with my family on April 13th. The travel costed 5,000 euros, and I hope we won't have to cancel this trip to China.

ryanb741

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:24 am

AOMlover - don't worry about this - it is just a severe flu. I am sure you will have a great time in Shanghai  Smile
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

AOMlover

Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:03 am

Thank you Ryan.
The problem is that I don't know if you can recover when you're contamined.
I've not been on holiday with my family for a long time, and this travel i very important for me.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ryanb741

Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:12 am

AOMlover - the disease has been fatal in 10 of 500 cases, and is life threatening only for the very young or very old (or those whose general health is very bad normally).

Obviously you should seek medical attention if you feel ill, but statistically you are more likely to die of flu that you catch in France in the 3 weeks before your holiday.

The flight to China via the Middle East is somewhat more concerning - I am flying LHR-BKK on Eva Air on the 3rd April and I am a bit concerned about the effects of the Iraq war on the flight, but in the last Gulf War or in the Afghanistan war there were no major incidents with airliners so everything should be fine.  Smile

GDB

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:34 am

An understandable thought, but the flu pandemic in 1918 killed 40 million, similar outbreaks in 1957 and 1968 were more contained by medical advances, however we are way overdue a flu pandemic.
And air travel is much more extensive now, (the 1918 outbreak was spread by the masses of troops returning home from WW1).

dc-10 levo

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:38 am

When I first heard about this, I thought nothing of it. It's getting much more serious now and lots of people are starting to get worried. I hope they find a vaccine for it quick!

DC-10

Sonic

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:39 am

And I am flying to Hong Kong in April...

avt007

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:41 am

Just look at where the cases are, and you can tell it is natural. Who would attack Singapore, Hong Kong, Frankfurt?

ryanb741

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:44 am

And also, creating a virus that is deadly to the very old and infirm is hardly 'terror'. This is just a strong form of influenza, a virus which kills many people annually. I think we worry too much. Outbreak this ain't!

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:29 am

You do realise this happens every year?

ADG

johnboy

Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:49 am

The World Health Organization doesn't issue emergency travel precautions every year though.

BTW, the Singaporean doctor is in his 30's (and for all you 15-19 year olds out there, here's a hint...that's not very old!).

As a nurse who would be on the front lines, I'm worried. Lots of people concerned at work too. Why? Because this is leading to ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome), and people with ARDS ALWAYS end up on ventilators for a long time unless they die first.

johnboy

Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:51 am

Another thought:

Ever wonder why these flu strains pop up more often than not in China?

Think ducks and pigs!

cloudy

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:33 pm

Currently, the biggest threat from this is that every moron who gets flu or cold symptoms will go to the emergency room and want to be checked out if the media keeps on talking this up. This could put a strain on the healthcare system. If maybe 100-200 people died in the Anthrax attacks after 9-11, rather than just one or two, there could have been long lines in all the ER's across the US and Europe.

People's overreactions can at times be more dangerous than the threat itself.

sebolino

Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:45 pm

life threatening only for the very young or very old

??? I happen to have 2 kids, and one is 2. So you'll understand your post is a bit strange : only the very young and the very old ? ONLY ?

ryanb741

Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:49 pm

No but what I mean is that many viruses are particularly threatening for the young and old, whereas they aren't usually life threatening for healthy adults. So this isn't a deadly virus that is going to kill millions, it is a severe bug which, like many other bugs is a major threat to infants and the elderly. Many more young children and elderly people die of 'normal' viruses than healthy adults anyway.

Sabena 690

RE: Docpepz

Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:50 pm

And thanks to Singapore Airlines - a member of star alliance - who flies their New York - SIN route through Frankfurt, the Singaporean doctor has contributed to the first known case in Europe.

It's Singapore Airlines LIMITED, when are you finally going to know it?  Wink/being sarcastic

Regards
Frederic

D-AIGW

Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:48 pm

From the news here in Hong Kong, the "non-typical pneumonia" (as it's what they call it here) originated from a 26-year-old man who came home (Hong Kong) from Shenzhen (China) and brought in the disease. Up to now in our territory there are 111 reported cases of infection, 17 of which are university students studying medicine (at Prince Wales Hospital, most probably from Chinese University of Hong Kong). Some are hospital staff, others are patients sharing the same ward. If I recall correctly, it's named SARS, standing for blah blah blah syndrome. I don't remember.

It has been reported that the disease is contagious at a radius of 3 feet (they say when people sneeze, the saliva can shoot to a maximum of 3 feet).

There're 2 people with SARS in the hospital just opposite to my apartment. The people here are totally paranoid, hospital staff and patients have been given masks, I can even see ordinary people wearing masks on the street. And no, the threat is not only to young and old, but to people of all ages. The trouble is that the virus/bacteria doesn't attack you immediately when you get infected; so, no one knows the exact number of infected people.

It's not necessarily an overreaction if the number of infected keeps increasing day by day. Yesterday there were only eighty something.

D-AIGW

Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:53 pm

The Accident & Emergency Unit of Prince Wales Hospital will be closed down for 3 days in the wake of the pneumonia. The closure will be extended indefinitely if the disease cannot be contained in time.

Now talk about paranoia...