Ilyushin96M
Topic Author

Dixie Chicks Join The Anti-War Wagon

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:40 am

CNN is reporting one of the Dixie Chicks made derrogatory remarks about the Bush administration. At a concert in London, lead singer Natalie Maines said she is "ashamed the president is from Texas." Now rednecks everywhere are smashing Dixie Chicks CDs. Maines issued a statement retracting her remarks and apologised for being so reactionary...she is just a concerned mother who does not want to see this nation go to war. But of course, the idiots are already out in force, going nuts.

CNN is also conducting a poll to see if people are boycotting the Dixie Chicks, whether their songs should be pulled off the air, etc. Given the ridiculous actions taken against France, I'd say we'll be hearing from Republican reps pretty soon about how they are throwing out Dixie Chicks CDs and forcing their children to do the same.  Yeah sure

avt007

RE: Dixie Chicks Join The Anti-War Wagon

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:42 am

Burn the witch! Burn the witch! Burn the witch!

desertjets

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:44 am

Being that she is an American citizen she has a right to express her opinions. I think the problem is that everyone else needs to realize that and understand it.

Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Olympic A-340

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:44 am

"What say ye Mary Warren!?...I hereby sentence you to hanging for witchery!"...sorry I just couldn't resist. People do seem to take things to extremes lately.

LHMark

Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:56 am

And to think I advocated smashing Dixie Chicks CDs for a completely different reason...
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:05 am

Not for nothing, but this story is old news already. It broke last week. And like a true pathetic person, Maines is now saying she was wrong etc, because her record company is pissed at the Anti Dixie Ho backlash including boycotting of their music and burning of their CD's. Sad.

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:11 am

The only sad thing is she backtracked on her comments.

Ilyushin96M
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:14 am

I agree, Heavymetal. Too bad high-profile figures like the Dixie Chicks can't stick by their statements without dire consequences.

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:16 am

Burn the witch! Burn the witch! Burn the witch!

But how do you know she's a witch?

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:17 am

But how do you know she's a witch?

Ohhhh! She turned me into a NEWT!

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:17 am

........................I got better.

TWAL1011

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:18 am

Too bad. I really liked their music.

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:23 am

I'm just curious, where are all the Catholics burning their rosaries and holy cards over the "anti-war" comments from the Pope?

HOMER71

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:23 am

Ok, it's probably been said ad nauseum, she has the right to say that - she's an American. It's also an American's right to boycott their music, smash their CD's, etc., no matter how idiotic it is, as long as it is legal.

What did Natalie Maines (she's the short, chunky one, right?) expect when she said that? She didn't think what she said in London could come back to the US? Doesn't she know that only conservatives listen to their crappy music? She just alienated her whole fan base!

On the bright side, Jessica Lange would have been proud...

"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

KROC

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:26 am

Maines is the short chunky one. Now we can add the one with the big (bigger) mouth as well, who will sell out her statements under pressure from the record execs fearing a major backlash and drop in sales/concert revenue. Way to stand strong Maines, Well friggin' done.

Ilyushin96M
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:30 am

Yeah, well you'll be happy to hear, KROC, that people are holding Maines to her statement, regardless of the retraction. The backlash is already beginning.

And of course, Homer, you're wrong about "only conservatives listen to their crappy music." I listen to it, and like it. And I'm certainly not small-minded enough to take a comment like Maines' and base my opinion of her and her group on that alone.

Sometimes, the stupidity of my fellow countrymen sickens me.

KROC

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:33 am

So Ilyushin96M. Those carrying out the backlash against the group are stupid? Because in a time when support is needed all around, you got some broad making stupid comments to whoever will listen? I mean what does she have to worry about? She has millions of dollars. She won't be sent to defend her country anytime soon. Funny how when one is set for life, they can easily criticise the way of life that got them to where they are.....

TWAL1011

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:36 am

Screw her. This isn't going to sit well with the country music crowd. Fans and fellow musicians alike.

tbar220

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:37 am

Doesn't she know that only conservatives listen to their crappy music?

Nice way to make a broad, sweeping generalization  Yeah sure
NO URLS in signature

jaysit

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:37 am

"She won't be sent to defend her country anytime soon"

Neither will 99% of the armchair pundits who support the war. So whats your point?

"Funny how when one is set for life, they can easily criticise the way of life that got them to where they are."

I didn't know that George Bush's Kennebunkport/Texas yahoo lifestyle served up on a silver plated platter got anyone where they are today, least of all the Dixie Chicks. Neither did I know that criticizing George Bush was tantamount to criticizing all of American civilization. If Dubya represents all that we stand for in this country, then we are in deep doo doo (as his daddy used to say).
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Ilyushin96M
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:40 am

KROC, Maines' comments are only stupid if you support Bush and his war. And how do you know anything about her way of life? Got the inside scoop?

I think backlash of the nature that's going on with regards to smashing CDs is as stupid as the renaming of french fries. The mentality behind it is really idiotic.

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:41 am

Tell me, what do you do with witches?

LHMark

Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:57 am

Homer's kinda right. You'd think a super-corporate band like the Dixie Chicks would pay more attention to the demographics of their shareholders err...fans before issuing public policy statements.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

JetService

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:06 am

HeavyMetal, did Catholics say they are boycotting the Dixie Chicks? No sure why you brought them into this conversation.

Sometimes, the stupidity of my fellow countrymen sickens me.

Deal with it I96M. When you live in a country where free speech is practiced, you'll just drive yourself crazy fretting about some of the things a quarter of a billion can say and do. Just roll with the punches, big guy.
"Shaddap you!"

TWAL1011

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:14 am

I think backlash of the nature that's going on with regards to smashing CDs is as stupid as the renaming of french fries. The mentality behind it is really idiotic.

Really? The Dixie Chicks respond to Bush's actions and the fans respond to their actions. How is that idiotic?

If reaction to something that you don't care for is idiotic, why don't you be the first to shut your yapper about Bush?

Ilyushin96M
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:17 am

TWAL1011, I hardly go around burning pictures of Bush. Freedom of speech is one matter, but breaking or smashing things? C'mon.

I'll "shut my yapper" when you do.

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:21 am

Jet....

I'm not sure why you made the connect.

I simply made the observation that both the Dixie Chicks and The Supreme Pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church have made very vocal statements objecting to present US policy. The Dixie Chicks pay for it by watching their careers dissolve. So.....how will the Pope pay for it? Will all these robots gleefully burning CDS in front of radio stations make the neighborhood church their next stop?

Or don't they have the balls? I mean gangbanging a pile of country music CDs is fun for the whole family. But going up against the Pope? THAT's a mental challenge......something the disc burners would require a year of therapy for if they actually pondered it.

It's that kind of hypocrisy that makes more and more of the world not take us seriously....unless we've got a gun in their face, of course.

TWAL1011

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:24 am

but breaking or smashing things?

Sure, if what your smashing is something like a CD that's your personal property (as opposed to the assholes in Whittier who vandalised the 9/11 memorial). Smashing the CD makes more of an impact than, say, "Look at me. I'm so mad I'm gonna drop this thing in the trash".

I'll "shut my yapper" when you do. Dang. Guess that won't be anytime soon.  Big thumbs up

jaysit

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:29 am

Now if only Celine Dion would open her trap and say something that the Bushie Robotrons would go into a fit over !
Atheism is Myth Understood.

747-451

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:30 am

Everyone is entitled to an opinion....Natalie Maines syas she's ashamed Bush comes from Texas? Well, I'm ashames she is from the United States....the whole lot of them are boring.

apathoid

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:36 am

While I agree that Natalie is entitled to her wrong opinion, the problem for me is that entertainers ought not make their politics public. I buy a Dixie Chicks CD because I like their music and thier image. Now, whenever I listen to them, all I hear is her moronic statement about the President. She has made a lot of money as an entertainer, and she should stick to that. I will not begrudge her the right to speak her mind, but I will not buy any more of her albums either. In a market economy, that is how the consumer makes their opinion know. She has control of the stage, but I have control of the cash register.

EA CO AS

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:36 am

I'm just curious, where are all the Catholics burning their rosaries and holy cards over the "anti-war" comments from the Pope?

Guess what, hotshot? I'm a practicing Catholic, and I firmly believe the Pope is suffering from "anal-cranial inversion" on this one. And y'know what? The vast majority of my church agrees with me.

There is a huge difference between "peace" and "peace at any cost," which is what the Pope is advocating.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:41 am

Wow. You're in touch with a vast majority of over a billion Catholics. Hate to have your phone bills, hotshot.

HOMER71

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:04 am

Of course I made a broad, sweeping generalization...I was going for a cheap laugh!

My attempt at levity here has failed...forgive me

P.S. How do you include a quote from a previous post into your post?
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Matt D

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:22 am

I guess when someone airs a "Liberal" (read Politically Correct) point of view, they're exercising their First Ammendment Rights.

When someone airs a "Conservative" (read Politically Incorrect) point of view, they're being ignorant, racist stupid buffoons.

I just love the standards of equity. Yeah sure

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:27 am

I just love the standards of equity.

So.... apparently..... does The Pope.

DC10GUY

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:29 am

Country music has to be the dumbest form of entertainment there is ... Like that new song " its was nineteen seventy something" eck. And the Dixie chicks are lame as lame can be.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

Matt D

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:34 am

Country music has to be the dumbest form of entertainment there is

That is a matter of personal taste and opinion. There are just as many who could say that Brittney Spears (or whoever else for that matter you may like) are also the dumbest form of entertainment.

Since just about any kind of music you can think of (with the possible exceptions of Louisiana BlueGrass or German Polka), you're going to find huge numbers of people that love it and support it and those that hate it.

And the Dixie chicks are lame as lame can be.

That is a matter of personal taste and opinion. There are just as many who could say that Brittney Spears (or whoever else for that matter you may like) are also the dumbest form of entertainment.

Since just about any kind of music you can think of (with the possible exceptions of Louisiana BlueGrass or German Polka), you're going to find huge numbers of people that love it and support it and those that hate it.

Next excuse please?

L-188

Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:36 am

You these enteratainers do have to right to make their statements and she did.

The public also has a right to condemm them for it, and in some circles it is.

Thus continues the circle of life.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Illini_152

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:01 am

Somehow I'm not surprised. She was also the one that was in the press over the summer condeming Toby Keith's song "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue (the Angry American)" as being too beligerant and obnoxious

(BTW, I love how they refuse to edit that song when it comes on the radio "We'll put a boot in your ass/it's the American way") They really did alienate alot of their fanbase though with that comment, as another poster said. I for one will not be buying any more of their records, both because of her comment, and then her inability to stand by it.

I may disagree with what she said, but gosh darned it, if you believe that, have the balls to stand behind what you say, don't run and change your mind when the shit hits the fan.

That I think,is even worse. Wrong beliefs are better than no beliefs at all.

--
Mike
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

DC10GUY

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:03 am

Matt D, Thank you for putting the obvious in perspective. My post is my opinion, your post is your opinion.

JetService

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:03 am

Heavymetal, on your comment, I was reading that these Dixie chick CD smashers, are hypocrites because they do not burn rosaries, etc. I was wondering how you knew they are Catholics. Perhaps I misunderstood. If I did, then I'm sorry.
"Shaddap you!"

heavymetal

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:07 am

Yeah, Jet...you misunderstood. Sorry if I wasnt clear. My argument was a bit of a disconnect from the Dixie Chicks, and more of a commentary of how this pro-war group mentality tends to "kill the messenger" rather than actually ponder the message.

JetService

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:11 am

Got it. Nevermind  Smile
"Shaddap you!"

racko

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:14 am

They just were on German TV and "performed" one of their songs. I still don't really get the point of watching 3 women sitting on chairs and moving their lips and hands on the guitar to full playback. Was their first time on German TV, and imho I wouldn't miss anything if it also was their last time...

Illini_152

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:30 am

What I also fail to understand is, why is a country band touring in Europe? Correct me if I'm wrong, but does country have any following at all outside of the United States? It seems like a genre unique to America, from the kind of music to the subjects of their songs, alot of counrty's following is that the fans can releate to the artists and their songs.

I don't see many people from Europe being able to relate to alot of their songs.

--
MIke
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

747-451

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:36 am

Illini 152;

"What I also fail to understand is, why is a country band touring in Europe? Correct me if I'm wrong, but does country have any following at all outside of the United States? It seems like a genre unique to America, from the kind of music to the subjects of their songs, alot of counrty's following is that the fans can releate to the artists and their songs.

I don't see many people from Europe being able to relate to alot of their songs"

It has a fairly large following in the UK, Australia and other parts of Europe.
American country music infact has it's derivation in traditional music from Ireland....

PS: the Dixie Sluts, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Lonestar are more or less "pop" groups, abandoning their "roots" to various degrees....

johnboy

Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:28 am

It'll be interesting to see what happens on their upcoming tour of the U.S., as the media have reported that they sold out concerts across the country in record time.

I say good for you, girlfriend, as I also think Bush is a raging asshole. Thank goodness we don't have any country music radio stations in the Bay Area, but I sure would love to hear what those folks are saying right now.

L-188

Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:05 am

I like to think that the Dixie Chicks commentary is atypical of country artists.

Travis Tritt pretty much dumped on them.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81413,00.html
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DC10GUY

Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:21 am

Country ... Artist ??? that has to be one of them there oxy-moron things don't ya'll think ???