airworthy

I'm Very Scared About This War

Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:54 am

Well, the stage is set and the curtain will open in just a matter of hours, but I don't think this play will get many good reviews.

I have followed the media and the public for a while now and there is a sense of "entitlement" to an all out victory that will be quick and safe. But I just don't think this will be like any other military event in recent history. The events which have preceeded this include the original Gulf War, and the conflict in Afghanistan which are in no way related to what we know face. Those other battles were like punching a school yard bully in the face and then running way.

Now, there is going to be a huge new dimension to the battle with street to street fighting as the ultimate showdown, and the only victory will be the destruction of a person who has survived a lifetime of the toughest fighting the world has ever seen.

The plan seems really simple so far for the USA. Roll in with overwhelming force and get to Baghdad as fast as we can. Then the hard part, take over a city of over 5 million people where nothing is known for certain. I think at this point all hell will break loose. Yes, the chemical and biological attacks on the way to Baghdad will be very bad, but nothing will compare to the fighting that will occurr in elementary school playgrounds and inside office buildings.

I just don't think we are ready for this. I think we are underestimating the Iraqi war machine and the obstacles we face. But only time will tell, and I hope I am wrong.

Alpha 1

RE: I'm Very Scared About This War

Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:59 am

This will be a different war than '91, no doubt. The urban fighting will take place, even if the Iraqi people and most of the conscripted soldiers turn on Saddam. Baghdad is marshalled by the best of the best of the Iraqi troops, and they will fight.

What scares me isn't necessarily what will take place within Iraq, per se. What scares me is if Saddam lobs bio/chemical Scuds at Israel, and Israel responds. Even though Israel would be well within it's right to defend itself, what will the other Arab nations do, if Sharon launches a strike into Iraq? Will the Arabs declare war on Israel yet again? Or do they just keep their peace, and let events take place?

If the latter happens, then Saddam would have failed once again to rally the Arab world to his side. If the former happens, then you have a much wider, much deadlier conflict. THAT is what scares me.

Klaus

Airworthy

Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:20 pm

Airworthy: nothing will compare to the fighting that will occurr in elementary school playgrounds and inside office buildings.

Oh yes, there is a precedent: Stalingrad in 1944.

After the german army failed to occupy the city despite horrifying and enduring house-to-house combat, the turning point of WWII was reached and the german retreat began...

Hole_Courtney

Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:29 pm

well, the germans actually lost on 7 December 1941. That's when the Japanese attacked pearl habour, and also when Hitler halted the advance on Moscow. Little did Hitler know that Moscow was in a state of panic, and that a brigade of monkeys could have taken over the city on that day.

Hitler had to get Russia out of the war before the US joined. At the time, Hitler was really fighting a one front war with Russia. The British campaign was air, and little troops were committed there. Hitler had to get Russia out of the picture so that the British would negotiate with him and the US wouldn't enter the war. He was very angry at Japan for doing what it did, because it pushed his timetable to an unfavourable position.

Stalingrad was just a kick to the stomach when Germany was already on the ground.

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

STT757

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:11 pm

Airworthy how old were you during the First Gulf War, I was 16 and remember the start very vividly.

Klaus I really don't think you can compare Iraq to Stalingrad.

In the Gulf War the biggest burden US troops faced were the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Iraqi surrenders, they surendered to the media and un-armed un-manned aerial vehicles.

To say that this time they will fight and die for Saddam when they didn't the last time is baseless, there have been reports that some Iraqi troops have already surrendered to British troops in Kuwait who sent them back and told them to wait untill the war actually starts.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

DC10GUY

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:17 pm

NBC showed Iraqi citizens buying guns & ammo ??? They have the right to bare arms??? Why haven't they turned on there leader ??? Will private gun ownership stop the American invasion ??? These are things I'd like to know.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

sleekjet

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:18 pm

My prayer is that Saddam's troops will want to defect like crazy, even those within Baghdad. If they don't, our troops will still do what they have to do. And win.
II Cor. 4:17-18

dc863

Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:29 pm

Klaus Stalingrad was fought from Aug 42-Feb 43.

Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:43 pm

NBC showed Iraqi citizens buying guns & ammo ??? They have the right to bare arms???

why not? an agressive regime just declared war on their country.

Why haven't they turned on there leader ???

They don't want to?

Will private gun ownership stop the American invasion ???

Nope

These are things I'd like to know.

common sense really

ADG