galaxy5

Home Theater Systems, Whats Good?

Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:59 am

I was looking for a home theater system, anyone here seen/heard the Sony DAC C-990 dream system it looks sharp on line but i havent heard one yet. Anyone have any others that are good perhaps.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

Marcus

RE: Home Theater Systems, Whats Good?

Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:07 am

Those are good.....I used to work at Sony and I can tell you those are good value for the money.......I currently have a Kenwood home theater system, it's the small one HT-204 but it has plenty of power (much more than I ever use) so I didn't see the need to go with a bigger one.

Go to the biggest electronics store you can find in your area and play with whatever systems they have there....and ask a lot of questions.

Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

victech

Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:41 am

I'm a fan of Sonys and Onkyos...if you can afford it, I recommend an Onkyo amp with Boston Acoustics Reference speakers. Whatever you decide to buy, don't buy Bose!!!

After all: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

gotAirbus

Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:43 pm

Victech

Whatever you decide to buy, don't buy Bose!!!

After all: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

Why? I've listened to music on Bose speakers and they're fine.

Anyways, the only reason I can think of is the ridiculous price.

(gotAirbus?)
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

KAUSpilot

Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:11 pm

Try http://www.hometheaterforum.com

They will give you better advice than we ever could.

Me personally, I like phase technology speakers and Denon Recievers/source units. There's a lot of good stuff out there and it just depends on your budget and what you can find in your area. I'd have to reccomend that you stay away from Bose. Some of Sony's electronics are all right but I don't care for their speakers much at all.

Superfly

Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:26 pm

Galaxy5:
Hi-end audio is a hobby of mine. I will suggest looking at Marantz, Denon and Yamaha systems.
How much do you want to spend?

Marantz SR4200 is one reciever you should check out.  Smokin cool
http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342373-1304-7052167.html

Denon also makes quality products you may want to consider.
They make great recivers as well as turntables, cassette decks and compact disc players/recorders.
http://www.usa.denon.com/

One thing you want to look for in buying a home theater system is a reciever that has an analog bi-pass. The home theater modes are all digitally processed and the quality systems all have a analog bi-pass for your analog formats (tape, LPs).

For good speakers for the price, I'd suggest B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) speakers.

http://www.bwspeakers.com/

Like most have said already, STAY AWAY FROM BOSE!
They are way over-rated and over-priced!
They sound good only as stock speakers for General Motors automobiles, that's it!

Bring back the Concorde

Andreas

Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:39 pm

Bose is basically a company that equips discotheques, and you can hear that all the way: Bass ramming home into each and every pore of the body...who needs this shit?? Well I don't...so I fully agree...avoid Bose at all costs!

On the good side: Marantz and yamaha are both great and you can get pretty good discounts.

Another favorite of mine: Rotel. Just love it!! And some great 5.1 and 7.1 equipment they have, too, and not exceedingly expensive.
And as for the speakers, I'm Bowers&Wilkens all the way, since I bought a new set 2 months ago!!
Though there is probably no other speaker manufacturer worldwide that is more able to split the audience ...I wonder why! The sound is crystal clear, voices are beyond your wildest dreams, no details gets hidden (I guess that's what some people don't like, bad recordings sound absolutely terrible on them), and their sub ...is close to live s.x *ggg*.

Try it you'll love it!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Greg

Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:26 pm

I had Home Audio Entertainment install mine (I guess it's Tweeters now). Sony sound....Phillips flat screen. It's pretty awesome (but half the price this year than it was a year ago....).

galaxy5

Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:20 am

ok, so i get the point of stay away from bose, cost really isnt to much of a concern as long as the equipment is actually worth it, but i would like to hear it before i purchase and the only place near me to view or listen to stuff is a best buy. So i figure if i go on hear and screen what the audiophiles suggest i can cut down my time on research.

victech

Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:25 am

I didn't know B&W made HT speakers! We have a set of B&Ws that we use as delay infills at my church (where I'm an SR tech)...the sound is definitely every bit as good as our Meyer MTS-4 primaries (which I would install in my living room in a heartbeat...if my amp had XLR outs). [I guess I'm going to have to get my head out of the "pro audio clouds" and refresh my self on HT systems...]

galaxy5

Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:33 am

whats an XLR out? Im not an audiophile but do like a quality product but im not quite down with the terminology or lingo.

victech

Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:12 am

XLR = eXtra Long Run. It's a type of connector used in pro audio systems. It's also known as a "balanced line" connector. Most sound connectors have two sides: source and ground (RCA/Phono plugs). Sound is produced on the source side, and the ground is the return. There is a problem with this system, however: it's pretty easy to introduce noise into the signal. XLR (and other balanced) connections have three sides (and three pins): "Hot," "Cold," and ground. Both the hot and cold connectors have the same potential to ground, but are separated by polarity (hot is positive, cold is negative). Therefore, any EM noise will affect both sides concurrently, and the transformers in the audio devices remove the noise. I hope that's a clear enough explanation...