cedarjet

What Is An Ally?

Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:23 pm

I think America, with it's tasty new Freedom Fries, has the wrong idea about what an ally is. Surely an ally is there to help out when things go wrong, help defend a friend when they're attacked or in trouble, and give good advice. NOT just to go blindly along with whatever is asked of them and agree with everything, even if it's wrong. If France (or Germany, Chile, Russia et al) think attacking Iraq without provocation is a mistake, shouldn't they try and stop the attack, thereby rescuing their friend the US from doing something they'll regret? Isn't this a true act of friendship? Why can't Americans understand this?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

tbar220

RE: What Is An Ally?

Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:25 pm

Do you really think the France is doing this out of friendship with the U.S.? The only thing France is doing IMO is playing a political game where its goal is to gain power on the political spectrum.
NO URLS in signature

cedarjet

Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:33 pm

Well, even if their motives are questionable, I still don't think they're being disloyal to their friend the USA. Attacking a foreign sovereign nation IS a mistake, and France are against it, and unlike Britain and Spain, are brave and independent enough to speak against it. It should be applauded, not seen as an act of betrayal.

If you were about to jump off a cliff and your mate tried to stop you, is that disloyal? Even if they didn't want you to jump cos by not jumping they'd gain personally?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Boeing757/767

Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:35 pm

A true ally has the guts to say "you're doing something wrong." Like a good friend would do.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

Andreas

Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:38 pm

Boeing that's exactly the way most people in Germany feel...unfortunately the machinery in the USA does have a different concept of friendship:
Be a good boy, follow us, no matter what the people in your country say, shut up and do what we tell you. there were days when this was different, and these were definitely better days!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:40 am

An ally is something that the US can threaten into submission.

ADG